Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I played a game for the Wii called Madworld which was in black and white except for the blood splatter. It was based in this weird futuristic murder gameshow with two hosts narrating the stuff you do and randomly riffing on bullshit, and one of them was a guy from Whose Line while bespoke hip hop plays in the background. I was really surprised with how well they pulled off all the comedy of the narration, the quality of the dumb music, and the way it all held together and created a really weird and funny atmosphere. This is a normal post about video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2MYPmbgrI0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Going to add Shadowgate to the list. Would say it had a neat aesthetic and atmosphere.

don't let the torch go out

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Statutory Ape posted:

Going to add Shadowgate to the list. Would say it had a neat aesthetic and atmosphere.

don't let the torch go out

Original or the remake?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mirror’s edge

catalyst maybe to a degree but the original was great

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Runaktla posted:

Surprised nobody has said Subnautica yet.

That is a super badass underwater environment. Very colorful and full, but scary and suspenseful, and feeling isolated. It’s badass.

I think Subnautica is the more recent game I've played where I really took in the game world and the atmosphere of it. The sound design is great, everything feels appropriately creepy and bizarre for an unknown alien world. I think my favorite biome is the grand reef which is totally dark except for these floating orbs and other bioluminescent flora and fauna

One of the cooler moments is when you find these boulders kept suspended in the water by some passive jellyfish like sea creatures earl in the game. then later on you find massive versions of these floaters keeping an entire island floating on the water

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Runaktla posted:

Surprised nobody has said Subnautica yet.

That is a super badass underwater environment. Very colorful and full, but scary and suspenseful, and feeling isolated. It’s badass.

man, gently caress running face first into a reaper out of the pitch-black forever

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Mentioned on the first page, but even after all this time, Grim Fandango remains the most evocative and interesting aesthetic world in a game for me. Day of the Dead, Incan/Mayan, film noir, art deco, revolutionary/french resistance stuff and the list goes on. It's such a strange fusion but it really just...works.

I've played a lot of insanely inventive, freely imagined worlds in games since, but I don't feel like any have surpassed it. Of course, the music and writing add a whole lot of sheen to it as well.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Metal Gear Solid 3, Shadow of the Colossus and God of War 2 running directly on the Play Station 2 still seem like some kind of arcane sorcery.

I still spin them up every so often to admire the incredible art style for each game and the technical wizardry required to get them running on a system with 32 megabytes of RAM and 4 megabytes of Video RAM.

Absolutely incredible achievements.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

There are some really nice looking Doom wads these days.

(From here.)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

carry on then posted:

mirror’s edge

catalyst maybe to a degree but the original was great

Catalyst by a landslide imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzp51JX3Y-0&t=415s

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Mirror's Edge is the only game to ever trigger my fear of heights, and for that I have to commend it.

My favourite vibe though is in an old videogame from the 2000s, it's the era of voxel graphics, and it has a very distinctive art style so it still looks quite good. Or maybe I have rose-tinted glasses. It's a third-person strategy game about wizards summoning weird beasts to do battle in service to their gods and deforming the battlefield by creating walls of fire, spikes, or summoning tornadoes and volcanoes.

Also it has a character voiced by Tim Curry who looks like this

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

mortons stork posted:

My favourite vibe though is in an old videogame from the 2000s, it's the era of voxel graphics, and it has a very distinctive art style so it still looks quite good. Or maybe I have rose-tinted glasses. It's a third-person strategy game about wizards summoning weird beasts to do battle in service to their gods and deforming the battlefield by creating walls of fire, spikes, or summoning tornadoes and volcanoes.

I don't think Sacrifice used voxels. Voxel games were a thing before graphic cards. Sacrifice is a game that used 3D acceleration. Apparently it is the same engine as Messiah which uses tesselation

Voxel games were cool looking though

e: I think outcast does fit the thread. I never got far into it but drat if this wasn't the best looking game ever for a couple of years. And the French voice for Cutter Slade was the guy dubbing Bruce Willis which was loving awesome because that guy had the best voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQwuiTqizME

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 13, 2019

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
My bad, I thought it looked really similar to Outcast and made the assumption based on that. It was dumb of me.

Also Outcast is really really good, it's insane what they managed to do at the time, it's an open world rpg in 3d that actually looked interesting way ahead of Morrowind and the like. I wonder how its remake is coming along?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I think the remake is out

e: yup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvG1c0Ti0qo

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 13, 2019

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Limbo

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

their semi sequel, Inside, looks great too, and the ending is like "whoa hey now"

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

The good amiga games where all about atmosphere and aesthetics, like Kult, Dune, Powermonger, Midwinter and so many more. Many didn't age very well though. Also, nostalgia is probably a huge factor for me too.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

mortons stork posted:

Also it has a character voiced by Tim Curry who looks like this

This is Sacrifice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAY3Dai7jNM

There were a couple of other really colourful and weird games around the same time.

Giants: Citizen Kabuto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoJD2Ox59kw

Evolva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csywCSQeiCs&t=70s

MDK 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cVRGiLvEBM

MDK was interesting to me, because I remember seeing adverts for it as a kid and thinking it looked really creepy, so I never tried it. Then MDK2 comes along and it's full of playful janky humour and is very kid friendly.

Another one I just thought of was Messiah. The 2000s were full of weird games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN4h3HQCr4E

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
MDK, Messiah and Sacrifice were all games from Shiny and it shows in the art style.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Giants was ex-shiny guys too. Game industry needs more shiny like studios again.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

absolutely not, catalyst was generic far future sci-fi garbage, og felt like 10 years away

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

MDK, Messiah and Sacrifice were all games from Shiny and it shows in the art style.

Yeah Shiny was some sort of designer studio that just made weird poo poo for kicks. It was awesome. Loved their stuff, wish gaming as an industry were still in that stage where it's not as expensive to make videogames, so as to allow those sort of small-ish teams delivering high-quality stuff.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Riven is good, I bought a guide to finish it cos I am dumb, I remember the guide said something like 'Don't question why we are telling you to do things in this guide, just do them as written'

It was beautiful but somehow foreboding at the same time

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ultrafilter posted:

Original or the remake?

Original, I haven't messed w the remake yet!

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Since the Outcast remaster is basically the same exact game running in a modern engine it's very primitive in some place. One scene where a temple collapses had me chuckling because it just slowly sinks into the ground with just some light smoke effects. I still highly recommend it if you have fondness for the original and they did add a bunch of simple improvements to the gameplay.

Psychonauts has probably been brought up but two games worth a mention are Stick it to the Man and Flipping Death. They have a very similar aesthetic and sense of humor that made me adore them despite some of the platforming being a bit frustrating (just like PNauts).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmPae_q66Rw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnn8C0KkIK8

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Someone already brought up Homeworld, but I also love the almost pastel look of its years-later prequel, [b]Deserts of Kharak.[b] I'm a huge fan of its production design too. S'jet units look like a mixture of contemporary NASA and military hardware while enemy Gaalsien forces are more rounded, high-tech, and submarine. Another thing I think works incredibly well in both Deserts and the other Homeworld games is its sound, from the various tones of its interface, the constant, professional unit chatter, the way story beats are delivered with a calm fatality. Even its gameplay feels slightly languid and strategic in a way that fits the aesthetic. But at the same time "Kharak is Burning" was the first time a videogame provoked a real emotional response, and is still one of the only times any RTS has.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

carry on then posted:

absolutely not, catalyst was generic far future sci-fi garbage, og felt like 10 years away

Disagree. Catalyst better in every single way, including art, music, and atmosphere. :blastu:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

their semi sequel, Inside, looks great too, and the ending is like "whoa hey now"

Inside has some of the best animation I've ever seen in a game it is wild. I wonder if that special edition is ever going to come out

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

mortons stork posted:

Yeah Shiny was some sort of designer studio that just made weird poo poo for kicks. It was awesome. Loved their stuff, wish gaming as an industry were still in that stage where it's not as expensive to make videogames, so as to allow those sort of small-ish teams delivering high-quality stuff.

The reason you never hear that much about them is because, though in hindsight those games may seem interesting, at the time they were considered another let down or even dud. They were a company on a permanent trend of failing to top their own initial success of Earthworm Jim on the consoles, which they just never did. That game was everywhere and it's what everyone associates with Shiny from that era, then the sequel failed and that was that. For example, even though I played Giants, I never knew it was Shiny until this thread (blocked it out somehow.) I think for devs that grew up watching this, they kind of think of Shiny as what not to do, as a result.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Messiah sucked and was boring tbh

Thank u PC gamer (or cgw, forget which ) demo disk

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Katamari Damacy is neat. Nice music and nice graphics, fun gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2zB4zucavo

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

Broken Machine posted:

Katamari Damacy is neat. Nice music and nice graphics, fun gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2zB4zucavo

Hell yeah.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Machine posted:

Katamari Damacy is neat.

do you think the King of All Cosmos could beat Goku?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

The Protagonist posted:

I have a real fascination with gameworlds that have this certain aesthetic that I think is best encapsulated by Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and by extention the last guardian game though I haven't played that one. Hob looks perfect, but then the gameplay didn't grab me so I haven't picked it up yet either. On the other hand I just found RIME which nails that type of world just perfectly, and I'd like to get more recommendations along those lines.

A recommendation for you: Brothers, a Tale of Two Sons.

Also Breath of the Wild, which I've been playing just fine on an emulator if you don't have a nintendo console

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

Rutibex posted:

do you think the King of All Cosmos could beat Goku?

He is a lover, not a fighter.

Also, a drinker.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I loved riding around Toussaint in The Witcher 3.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Also, dang, can't forget the nexus in Demon's Souls

I don't like the art design of the entire game quite so much, but the Maiden in Black and the music, and how the environment and npcs change as the game progresses. Fantastic game

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Broken Machine posted:

Also, dang, can't forget the nexus in Demon's Souls

I don't like the art design of the entire game quite so much, but the Maiden in Black and the music, and how the environment and npcs change as the game progresses. Fantastic game

:bisonyes:

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

phantom dust absolutely nailed its aesthetic

spell effects were pretty incredible too

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Play posted:

Also Breath of the Wild, which I've been playing just fine on an emulator if you don't have a nintendo console

I started playing this on an emulator also but apparently theres some shrines that are really hard to do without the motion controls?