Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
In Cordwainer Smith’s “Alpha Ralpha Boulevard” there’s a bit where the protagonist and his girlfriend find a magical prediction machine which tells her “protagonist will love you for the rest of your life” and then tells him “you will love girlfriend for about the next twenty minutes”. Cue confusion immediately followed by girlfriend death. In Gary Jennings’ Raptor this gag is repeated pretty much verbatim, but with a magical prediction Jew instead of a computer. Are both these guys ripping off someone earlier, or was Smith the first to come up with the joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

skasion posted:

In Cordwainer Smith’s “Alpha Ralpha Boulevard” there’s a bit where the protagonist and his girlfriend find a magical prediction machine which tells her “protagonist will love you for the rest of your life” and then tells him “you will love girlfriend for about the next twenty minutes”. Cue confusion immediately followed by girlfriend death. In Gary Jennings’ Raptor this gag is repeated pretty much verbatim, but with a magical prediction Jew instead of a computer. Are both these guys ripping off someone earlier, or was Smith the first to come up with the joke?

It shows up in lots of folk tales from different cultures around the world.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

xcheopis posted:

It shows up in lots of folk tales from different cultures around the world.

Got an ATU number?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

skasion posted:

Got an ATU number?

No, I just read a lot folk/fairy tales.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1154400545362329600

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I picked up Dostoyevsky's The Idiot and I'm a little past halfway. This book is weird. I am enjoying the typical "conversations" that I was hoping for, but man, it's kinda loopy in some parts. Is Dostoyevsky's "thing" to have mysterious weird circumstances that eventually culminate into over-exaggerated arguments? I've read Crime and Punishment and that had some of the same types of strange characters/situations. Almost like everyone seems a bit mental but everyone around them seems perfectly fine with it and then every so often one of them steps off the cliff briefly.

I also finished On the Road and promptly binned it rather than put it in one of the small libraries. Good lord was that terrible writing and absolutely boring. I think Bukowski kinda set the bar too high on beatnik.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm wondering what options I have to restore the quality of some old audiobook mp3s that were ripped from tapes. They're no longer on sale anywhere and don't show any signs of being so, but I'd like it if there was anything that could be done to remove mild hissing and quality issues and slight variations in tone from cassette to cassette. Is this something we have the technology for yet?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm wondering what options I have to restore the quality of some old audiobook mp3s that were ripped from tapes. They're no longer on sale anywhere and don't show any signs of being so, but I'd like it if there was anything that could be done to remove mild hissing and quality issues and slight variations in tone from cassette to cassette. Is this something we have the technology for yet?

So, you'd have to set up a batch for it which is a bit more than I've done but audacity does (or did, some years ago) have an option to sample a section of audio and remove that sample from the rest of the recording. I did this to about 20 mp3s of songs from a live show that had terrible tape hiss, just sampled a bit of the recording that was nothing but hiss and told it to remove that from the rest of the MP3. The results were way, way better than I could have expected.

Again, that was a long time ago -- probably a decade now -- but the option was there and I figured it out myself easily enough so just poke around in audacity and it should be fairly obvious.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I used to use the service TuneIn for audio books around 3 years ago. I was definitely subscribed to it for at least a year. Today I decided to re-up my subscription, which was $10 for a month. I downloaded the app and couldn't find audiobooks anywhere on it at all! Googled the issue and whoops they pulled all the audiobooks off the service in January of 2018. Now I feel like a sucker and they've got my money. Unless you can't see, just stick to READING your books with the eyes God gave you is I guess the lesson.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
What's the deal with James Patterson? He does like one book a week, he's done them in every genre, he has a manga, what's going on? Is he any good?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

What's the deal with James Patterson? He does like one book a week, he's done them in every genre, he has a manga, what's going on? Is he any good?

you know how thomas kincaid churned out thousands of paintings by having apprentices paint the entire thing, then adding a detail or two to it so that he could call it an original work? james patterson does that with books. most of his books are 'co-authored' with total unknowns who write virtually the entire thing. he's a terrible writer, but he makes truckloads of money this way. there are a few articles about it

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

you know how thomas kincaid churned out thousands of paintings by having apprentices paint the entire thing, then adding a detail or two to it so that he could call it an original work? james patterson does that with books. most of his books are 'co-authored' with total unknowns who write virtually the entire thing. he's a terrible writer, but he makes truckloads of money this way. there are a few articles about it

It's hardly a new scam, of course. Many prolific pulp authors had stables of ghostwriters whose work they'd slightly edit and slap their name on before selling. And it's not limited to books either -- see Bob Kane and his army of "assistants" in the early years of Batman, for instance. Patterson is a bit more honest in that he actually gives his "co-"authors cover credit instead of just putting everything out under his name.

And if you're wondering if he was any good back when he was writing on his own: No. No, he was not.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I can't hate the guy.

It took some serious business acumen to develop this eco-system where the readers buy all the poo poo with his name on the cover just because they trust it'll have a certain quality to it that they'll enjoy. It's like the Warhammer shared universe, but he's the Warhammer. And yeah, he's honest about doing it with co-authors when he does (he wrote 24 Alex Cross books on his own, cause he had to get popular before he became an ever-expanding avalanche of co-written thrillers, y'know?), puts their names on the covers and, from what I've read, pays them well.

I've watched the Masterclass with the guy and ended up liking him. He was amiable and gave sensible, straightforward advice for writing the kind of stuff he writes. Two of the co-authors also made an appearance in the course and they both seemed quite happy with the arrangement.

Still don't feel like reading any of his books, though.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Does that model also apply to prolific romance novel authors? Has Danielle Steel really written like 200 books?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So she alleges. Being that prolific is not unprecedented and romance novels are easier to crank out than other genres. It seems she's been doing two-three a year for the past fifty(!) years, which seems doable.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 31, 2019

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Don't forget VC Andrews, who wrote eight books in her lifetime but more than eighty after she died.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Megazver posted:

I can't hate the guy.

It took some serious business acumen to develop this eco-system where the readers buy all the poo poo with his name on the cover just because they trust it'll have a certain quality to it that they'll enjoy. It's like the Warhammer shared universe, but he's the Warhammer. And yeah, he's honest about doing it with co-authors when he does (he wrote 24 Alex Cross books on his own, cause he had to get popular before he became an ever-expanding avalanche of co-written thrillers, y'know?), puts their names on the covers and, from what I've read, pays them well.

I've watched the Masterclass with the guy and ended up liking him. He was amiable and gave sensible, straightforward advice for writing the kind of stuff he writes. Two of the co-authors also made an appearance in the course and they both seemed quite happy with the arrangement.

Still don't feel like reading any of his books, though.

i can't hate this scam artist, he's just so good at it!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I mean Elron Hubbard supposedly wrote like 100.000 words a month, and was a respected pulp writer due to his output. I'm guessing it's just templates with name and location changes.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

A human heart posted:

i can't hate this scam artist, he's just so good at it!

Why is he a scam artist? You should maybe look up the definition.

He writes (or co-writes - he still outlines them) books. The books exist. The target audience enjoys them. He's transparent about how he's more of a producer-editor for some of his series.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Everyone who earns more than 50k a year is a scam artist

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1157082112618573825

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

This mfer said Madness of Crows

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Gripweed posted:

This mfer said Madness of Crows

goddammit

well it's too late that's the title of the book now

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Honestly The Madness of Crows sounds like it would be a pretty sick book

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I once heard of someone who thought the book was about German mental illnesses because the title was ... and the Madness of Krauts.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Selachian posted:

I once heard of someone who thought the book was about German mental illnesses because the title was ... and the Madness of Krauts.

Well, I mean, Germany is covered in some depth

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/DannyDutch/status/1158123021703483392

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

That's pretty drat cool, though I must admit I read it as foreskin painting at first and it was very WTF.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

regulargonzalez posted:

So, you'd have to set up a batch for it which is a bit more than I've done but audacity does (or did, some years ago) have an option to sample a section of audio and remove that sample from the rest of the recording. I did this to about 20 mp3s of songs from a live show that had terrible tape hiss, just sampled a bit of the recording that was nothing but hiss and told it to remove that from the rest of the MP3. The results were way, way better than I could have expected.

Again, that was a long time ago -- probably a decade now -- but the option was there and I figured it out myself easily enough so just poke around in audacity and it should be fairly obvious.

Yeah, I did that much a decade ago; I was just wondering if the power of Machine Learning had made any spectacular advances since then.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I think I mentioned this before, but I've been asked to set up a TBB discord, so here we go:

https://discord.gg/jgBDB25

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Is that just going to be another place for Mel to badger people into reading about terrariums?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ben Nevis posted:

Is that just going to be another place for Mel to badger people into reading about terrariums?

I think Mel got mad at us he's not around so much any more =(

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Ben Nevis posted:

Mel has recommended more good books to me than any other TBB goon. Including Aquarium.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Did Mel also recommend Hillbilly Elegy? Because that’s the worst book I’ve ever been recommended by a goon

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Mel has recommended more good books to me than any other TBB goon. Including Aquarium.

seems like you need to listen to me more

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Did Mel also recommend Hillbilly Elegy? Because that’s the worst book I’ve ever been recommended by a goon

No. In fact he aggressively made fun of people who recommended it. Justifiably so, in my opinion.

CestMoi posted:

seems like you need to listen to me more

You get me to read cool poetry. I also read that Scottish murder mystery you recommended me that was secretly an incest screwball comedy, The Case of the Constant Suicides.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

No. In fact he aggressively made fun of people who recommended it. Justifiably so, in my opinion.

Oh, good. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank a human heart for recommending Porius and to whoever recommended Salammbo. Any other books like that you people can think of? Like exotic, fantastical, packed with weirdness but not genre fantasy.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Oh, good. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank a human heart for recommending Porius and to whoever recommended Salammbo. Any other books like that you people can think of? Like exotic, fantastical, packed with weirdness but not genre fantasy.

I assume you've read magical realism -- Jose Saramago, Haruki Murakami, Borges et al?

E: also probably my most frequent recommendation, The Magus by John Fowles. Despite the name, it's not genre fiction.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 15, 2019

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

THE DICTIONARY OF THE KHAZARS BY MILORAD PAVIC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

CestMoi posted:

THE DICTIONARY OF THE KHAZARS BY MILORAD PAVIC

Yeah, I keep forgetting about that one. I am on a Serbian lit kick anyway so I’ll def pick it up.

I’ve read all the usual recs already - Borges, Calvino, Saramago... Llosa’s War at the End of the World has no fantastical elements, but takes place in a world so strange to me it might easily be fantasy. I might actually be looking for well written historical novels, now that I consider this?

e: regarding The Magus nothing is supernatural about it, as far as I can recall

Take the plunge! Okay! fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 15, 2019