Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Katosabi posted:

From my latest trackday:

Spiffy. Is that an unusual color scheme for the gsx? I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

pokie posted:

Spiffy. Is that an unusual color scheme for the gsx? I like it.

It's actually a Mazda automotive color. I wanted something teal and my wife's dad is a car painter, so he found that one in the color book for me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ought ten posted:

I keep saying my next bike is going to be fuel injected and I keep buying bikes with carbs.

[img-whynotboth.gif]

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

[img-whynotboth.gif]

They make bikes with both?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Injecterator

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Paging babyeatingpsycho

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

dual dad sport

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Enjoying my 790 until I melt my turn signals.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Somebody wanted to see my slightly overbored, hot ported RD400 engine with forged pistons, TZ crank bearings, TZ reeds and aluminum pistons. It looks like garbage on the outside but w/e its going to be powered by two Kehin 32 carbs. Also has converted modern electronic ignition and alternator over the antiquated points. Large cell capacitor powers the bike without a battery after a few kicks, but I will run a battery on it. Its being built entirely to run in the 1/8th mile next year in their street legal small displacement short wheelbase class. I can take the battery off per the rules for that. Because no frame modifications Im going to use the RD350 as it should weigh about 270lb wet (or less).

Also enjoy my stupid Ducati.

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 5, 2019

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Sport bikes with luggage are the best

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

MomJeans420 posted:

Sport bikes with luggage are the best

I'm in the corners draggin' gear and lookin' queer. But yeah boy the Harley shop I go to in town sure is confused when I ride that in. Like I'm talking about walking outside and seeing people standing around whispering with puzzled faces.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Primary bike must have luggage. It's as simple as that. Whether it's a naked MV or a touring BMW is besides the point.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

pokie posted:

Primary bike must have luggage. It's as simple as that. Whether it's a naked MV or a touring BMW is besides the point.

Just took my 790 Duke in for service this weekend and got a top box put on as well as bar end mirrors. I'll never again have my bike without at least enough luggage space to throw a helmet.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Endbuster posted:

Somebody wanted to see my slightly overbored, hot ported RD400 engine with forged pistons, TZ crank bearings, TZ reeds and aluminum pistons. It looks like garbage on the outside but w/e its going to be powered by two Kehin 32 carbs. Also has converted modern electronic ignition and alternator over the antiquated points. Large cell capacitor powers the bike without a battery after a few kicks, but I will run a battery on it. Its being built entirely to run in the 1/8th mile next year in their street legal small displacement short wheelbase class. I can take the battery off per the rules for that. Because no frame modifications Im going to use the RD350 as it should weigh about 270lb wet (or less).

This is awesome. What's that little cylinder thing above the intake ports?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Boost bottle. It dampens intake pulses between the carbs and keeps some of the unburnt mixture that gets forced back out the carb for the next cycle. There are also less aggressive boost tubes which are just a pipe that goes between the carbs. The idea being when one carb is intaking, the other is pushing back some unburnt mixture

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Boost bottle. It dampens intake pulses between the carbs and keeps some of the unburnt mixture that gets forced back out the carb for the next cycle. There are also less aggressive boost tubes which are just a pipe that goes between the carbs. The idea being when one carb is intaking, the other is pushing back some unburnt mixture

Isn't this like...the big problem with 2t induction that reeds are supposed to fix? It sounds kind of like vboost for strokers, but I can't understand why there would be a reverse pulse in the carbs if the engine has a reed intake.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Im not going to pretend to know all the science behind it, but Ive ridden Banshee 350 ATVs with and without the boost bottle. And my butt dyno says there is a massive loving difference in throttle response. Maybe its because the reeds are slapping shut regardless of throttle position when the piston sinks into the bore and the bottle frees up that mix. I have no idea.

I mean shoot it can't possibly hurt. Its more space inbetween the carb slide and the reed so hey, there's that possibility that having some extra mix that the engine can rob when I hamfist it is a good thing. So that's why I made that one. I don't think it adds any horsepower, but hey if I can be snappy like a banshee then I'm game to try it.

Also the RD400 motor is basically just a big rear end Banshee 350 motor. And those dudes are all about the bottle.

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 6, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Isn't this like...the big problem with 2t induction that reeds are supposed to fix? It sounds kind of like vboost for strokers, but I can't understand why there would be a reverse pulse in the carbs if the engine has a reed intake.

The reed has to close, so there is some blowback while it’s open. Also reeds aren’t perfect and don’t stop all blowback.

The other thing about boost bottles and link pipes is they take advantage of the momentum of air. As the left side piston or reed closes the port , the air that was coming into the Venturi has momentum to burn and has to go somewhere. Without a boost bottle, it’s momentum would just smash into the piston skirt and dissipate. With a boost bottle, that momentum travels to the right side intake, which just so happens to be open for business, providing a very low amount of boost. It’s not even boost, it’s a reduction in vacuum, really, leading to the combustion chamber getting more air and fuel than it could normally pull in itself at atmospheric pressure.

This is also why boost bottles are a tuned volume. Timing that air to slam into the open port at the right time is rarely accomplished with a tube (but can be in certain setups) and needs to be accounted for with a defined volume of air storage.

Different sized boost bottles therefore provide their effect at different RPMs. Very popular two stroke engines will often have a spectrum of bottle sizes available depending on if you’re trying to tune for low, mid, or high range and if you have a stock bore or big bore, etc

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 6, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Awesome, learned something today!

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
All my experience with 2Ts tells me that you need degrees in fluid dynamics and mysticism to truly understand tuning them to their peak.

With what I've felt between identical-looking exhausts that had completely different scavenging/resonance I have no trouble believing in all sorts of voodoo on the intake side.

EDIT: I don't think I ever posted it in here, so here's a rad-as-hell young Ulf on his banshee:

(Looks like Dumont Dunes, early 90s)

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Ulf posted:

All my experience with 2Ts tells me that you need degrees in fluid dynamics and mysticism to truly understand tuning them to their peak.

With what I've felt between identical-looking exhausts that had completely different scavenging/resonance I have no trouble believing in all sorts of voodoo on the intake side.

EDIT: I don't think I ever posted it in here, so here's a rad-as-hell young Ulf on his banshee:

(Looks like Dumont Dunes, early 90s)

All the mysticism. When I had specII make my expansion chambers and resonators I had to send him literally every single measurement and modification to that engine. Then I had to tell him carb size and intake boot length and all sorts of poo poo so he could tell me the correct amount of CCs to make the bottle and match it all up with the expansion chambers.

But its loving pixie dust and unicorn blood I swear to god.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

And when it all comes together and works there is no other experience like it. You have to put in work to make a high performance two stroke, but it is oh so very worth it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I go to the bank this morning, park in car share spot (sure, it's illegal, but I'll be in and out before they can ticket me),
Come out and see a lady looking at my bike and the rear of her car....and there's some nice V-twin cylinder marks on her bumper and paint peeling of my cylinder.
She refuses to show her insurance details, claims it's a "50-50" and takes off. (But not before I get pictures of her license plate).
Got a little paint peeled off the cylinder head and she may have hit brake pedals as well, but I'm going to get it checked out by the dealer...meanwhile I'll have the fun of dealing with insurance....

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

May be worth calling the police about a hit and run in that situation, if she won't share her insurance info. They may not come out, but at least you'd have it on record for your insurance.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah, still debating that.
Going by what the insurance guy said, it sounds like it was the registered owner. (He asked me to describe the driver).
I'm in BC and all insurance/licensing is handled by ICBC, so they have all the vehicle/driver info.
He did say that technically, I could have called the police, but also sounded like nothing would happen.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yeah for a hit-and-run on a parked vehicle I doubt the police would even bother coming out. No one injured, no real witnesses, shrug, call insurance.

But yeah definitely do report it to your insurance as such because they might choose to follow up on their own.

I once was out working on my bike in the street in front of my house and the 16-year-old girl across the street got in her car, reversed out of her driveway, and backed directly into the motorcycle. If I hadn't jumped out of the way at the last second I would have been pinned between the car and bike, and banging on her trunk and frantically yelling wasn't enough to stop her. It was low speed and fortunately all that got damaged was a mirror, the clutch lever, and the shifter, but man was I powerfully pissed off.

did the insurance stuff blah blah, she just seemed stunned, and I steamed about it for half the day and then her parents came by that evening. The mom was doing kind of a "she's just a new driver..." thing while the dad was more pained "yeah I've tried EVERYTHING to get her to look behind her when she's reversing and she just doesn't listen..." and they offered to pay for the repairs so I agreed to 200 bucks and told them to really hammer in LOOK BACKWARDS WHEN MOVING BACKWARDS and we left it at that. idk

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
kicked it with the boys practicin wheelies at the stunt lot

found a steel beam personally attacking my bike:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Rode up to Tennessee Knockout north of Chattanooga today. From Atlanta. Took some fun roads, but my rear end is killing me.

Also, I guess I like blue?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Did a 5-hour loop on the Rex today, where I determined that a. it seems to be working ok, b. the seat is showroom comfortable (ie nice and soft when you just sit on it, but after a few hours you kind of want more support) and c. I don't think I can ever do this on a supersport cause my right knee was killing me

Great ergos otherwise and I actually vastly prefer the wind situation to the dirty air off the Weestrom's windscreen. Always meant to put a shorty screen on that, now I'm sure I should have.

E: honestly I think I'm just spoiled after a decade of the Wee. That's a f'in comfortable bike.

Phy fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 19, 2019

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

That's right, and it's an Armani.
Finally bought a motorcycle after a ~10 year hiatus. 1977 R100/7

No Egrets fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 19, 2019

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Phy posted:

Great ergos otherwise and I actually vastly prefer the wind situation to the dirty air off the Weestrom's windscreen. Always meant to put a shorty screen on that, now I'm sure I should have.

I experienced the same when I went from my Transalp to a fz6-n. I don't think I'll go for anything faired again unless it's totally cocooned.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I haven't posted much about motorcycles because I got whacked several times with the tragedy bat in short succession. But things have been (mostly) clearing up, so I decided to buy a new motorcycle, a 2020 BMW R1250RS. First brand new bike I've ever bought:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ooh pretty!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Moral_Hazard posted:

I haven't posted much about motorcycles because I got whacked several times with the tragedy bat in short succession. But things have been (mostly) clearing up, so I decided to buy a new motorcycle, a 2020 BMW R1250RS. First brand new bike I've ever bought:

First faired boxer I've seen that doesn't look like cat vomit, nice one.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Some really pretty bikes posted on this page 👍

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Moral_Hazard posted:

drat that's a cool looking sport tourer

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Moral_Hazard posted:

Best looking boxer by far, only negative is the huge exhaust. Nice bike man.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

High Protein posted:

That's just all bikes nowadays, that's a cool looking big 'ol BMW.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Moral_Hazard posted:

Wow BMW nailed the look on this one. Glad things are looking up for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Thanks all.

High Protein posted:

That's going to get replaced at some point. I think a titanium one would look a lot better; maybe carbon. Remus has a sale going on right now and it looks like an easyish install.