Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FormerFatty posted:

Honestly this is great -- I posted this on ARCH discord and several people want to hit you up with some $, including myself :)

Glad you guys liked it.

Yeah one guy dm'ed me on Discord like "yo good write up, I'll give you silver" but he's hasn't been online when I'm online. And I think I'd feel kind of tacky anyway riding up to someone in-game going "you said I could have silver??????" lol. Would be nice to get a couple sets of the recommended 6.1 quality loadout + swiftclaws for ZvZ time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matty
Oct 29, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Glad you guys liked it.

Yeah one guy dm'ed me on Discord like "yo good write up, I'll give you silver" but he's hasn't been online when I'm online. And I think I'd feel kind of tacky anyway riding up to someone in-game going "you said I could have silver??????" lol. Would be nice to get a couple sets of the recommended 6.1 quality loadout + swiftclaws for ZvZ time though.

whats your ign?

:10bux:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Matty posted:

whats your ign?

:10bux:

ChampionChomp

Guys I think I'm starting to git gud! ZvZ's are largely unintelligible to me, so to learn some PvP I just copied a build I saw some streamer using and went solo hostile in the red zone to find death or (and) glory, and hopefully learn something in the process! This dude stole my kill on a gatherer (I had the guy at like 5% and he just swooped in), then attacked me too. Thought I was dead for sure but I got him with strong kiting game. Dropped everything but the cape!!! This was after several less-eventful kills and deaths.

That kill itself is almost 15% of my total pvp fame lol (total 1,089,533).

https://albiononline.com/en/killboard/kill/47011904

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 11, 2019

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

ChampionChomp

Guys I think I'm starting to git gud! ZvZ's are largely unintelligible to me, so to learn some PvP I just copied a build I saw some streamer using and went solo hostile in the red zone to find death or (and) glory, and hopefully learn something in the process! This dude stole my kill on a gatherer (I had the guy at like 5% and he just swooped in), then attacked me too. Thought I was dead for sure but I got him with strong kiting game. Dropped everything but the cape!!! This was after several less-eventful kills and deaths.

hahaha nice dude lost a panther. Did you pick it up?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Raioner posted:

hahaha nice dude lost a panther. Did you pick it up?

Yep, got out with it! There was a blue who could easily have finished up and taken everything (I was at like 5% at the end of the fight) but as soon as he saw the other red guy was after me, he booked it straight outta there while we started fighting and didn't look back.

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

:3: Hockey Otter :3:
Posting here for auth purposes. Am I doing this right?

Soren_
Apr 3, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Yep, got out with it! There was a blue who could easily have finished up and taken everything (I was at like 5% at the end of the fight) but as soon as he saw the other red guy was after me, he booked it straight outta there while we started fighting and didn't look back.

drat dude that is a pretty crazy kill honestly. that graveguard + cleric robe build is nasty. someone with a halberg almost wiped me and my guildies out with it. his teammates cleaned us up after.

ZvZs are hard to figure out. i'd watch some ZvZ fights from some of the other big alliances. it's much easier to figure out what's going on if you watch a "Bomb Squad" or Tank point of view, it's basically line battling.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

ChampionChomp

https://albiononline.com/en/killboard/kill/47011904

Thats an awesome kill dude -- the panther is worth some serious coin!

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

Also -- in other good news, it seems that in Season 8 (which starts in October) SBI will finally abandon their failed concept of having territory control in an open world conquest game determined by 5 players -- ZVZ will finally be the way to control territories in albion.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

FormerFatty posted:

Also -- in other good news, it seems that in Season 8 (which starts in October) SBI will finally abandon their failed concept of having territory control in an open world conquest game determined by 5 players -- ZVZ will finally be the way to control territories in albion.

Nice, it only took four years for them to implement what I and everyone else told them to implement because 5v5s for territory was loving stupid. But glad they did it.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FormerFatty posted:

Wow, that's huge, I can't believe they actually finally realized this.

In that case I might actually play. Being lorded over by 5v5 dorks was a huge reason why I quit.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

I liked both Eve Online and HOTS and was terrible at both in spite of playing for over a decade.

In as BennyMcJets.

Enemu
May 31, 2014
In as ClapMD. We'll see if I like it.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Kimsemus posted:

Nice, it only took four years for them to implement what I and everyone else told them to implement because 5v5s for territory was loving stupid. But glad they did it.

if only they listened to non retards 3 years ago the game might not be the cesspool it is

Eighty Seven
Jun 4, 2010
In as Lohmarus.

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

Nothing like broken english salty tears-- albion is full of them.

p.s.

Any of you new guys get the hang of albion yet? Reset day is this saturday -- a day of ZVZ for territory control (a preview of what season 8 will be like essentially) and we could use all cheeto crusted hands on deck.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug
Cool, so this game is not poo poo anymore?

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

zwdzk posted:

Cool, so this game is not poo poo anymore?

This game has gotten about 100x better since it came out -- both in terms of game mechanics, content, and fixes to FPS/lag. It stands to get even better in 2 months when they release an entirely new/updated map and make open world fighting determine who controls which territories (instead of the 5v5 moba matches that control it now).

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Pumped for season 8 changes, it looks like it will be a lot of fun.

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017
Thes AO devs don't seem to get it. This guy reduced pvp participation to a loving formula: https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/72770-Balancing-Non-Consensual-PvP/

quote:

the amount of non-consensual PvP kills = N*E*K.

I replied:

https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/72770-Balancing-Non-Consensual-PvP/?postID=951578#post951578

Still ... :bang:

Soren_
Apr 3, 2012

helped you out a bit, you can @ people on their forums btw.

i really hope they do slow down fights. right now it just sucks to fight in open world as DPS, you just get deleted if you get caught. the leaked next season concepts includes nerfing CC so hopefully that helps a bit

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Cheap, Affordable, and Tasty!
Wrap me in rice like you would with your mother.
I enjoyed EVE while I played, and I love smurfing in League. So count me in.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I have downloaded this and done some of the tutorial. Apparently I get a month of premium for being stupid enough to give them money a couple years ago!

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

In as Xenni; Discord: Pyxis#3348

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Ok been chopping trees and hitting rocks enough to get to t3 maybe I should join up with the goons I'll just follow this discord link and

eh maybe not

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
the devs fall into the common fallacy that non-consensual pvp consists of hunters and prey, completely ignoring the fact that prey can group together and defend much easier than hunters can go out and attack.

but that requires player interaction which is hard for the socially inept farmer

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

So is this game on reinstall status?

E: I should add that what turned me off was how very much PvE grinding was necessary to level different weapons. I assume that's still in.

Degs fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 8, 2019

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Degs posted:

E: I should add that what turned me off was how very much PvE grinding was necessary to level different weapons. I assume that's still in.

yes and no

1) want to be competitive in equal fights? then yes.

2) want to gank people in unequal fights? then no.

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017

Degs posted:

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

yes and no

1) want to be competitive in equal fights? then yes.

2) want to gank people in unequal fights? then no.

Unless you are rather high skilled, expect reasons like: "What the gently caress are you doing here?? gently caress off to the back and heal!"

Healing means standing in the back and cast a green thingy on the ground when you see friends running towards you. Healing is so popular nobody wants to do it. Parties often leave without a healer and die because of it. If you do join as a healer you often get told you suck rear end at healing. Don't expect any loot either. All bodies are already empty when you reach the fighting area.
Since you keep everyone alive, but have low hp and no resits, all the opponents try to kill you. You have no chance to survive if you are close to the action.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

1) gank people

2) sell their gear

3) buy skill points

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

MrOzzy posted:

Unless you are rather high skilled, expect reasons like: "What the gently caress are you doing here?? gently caress off to the back and heal!"

Healing means standing in the back and cast a green thingy on the ground when you see friends running towards you. Healing is so popular nobody wants to do it. Parties often leave without a healer and die because of it. If you do join as a healer you often get told you suck rear end at healing. Don't expect any loot either. All bodies are already empty when you reach the fighting area.
Since you keep everyone alive, but have low hp and no resits, all the opponents try to kill you. You have no chance to survive if you are close to the action.

This is pretty funny, because I tended to do nature staff or whatever it was called. It was legit one of the more fun healing specs I've played as, but yeah, I could see how it would get old fast.

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

1) gank people

2) sell their gear

3) buy skill points

Oh skills are a purchasable thing now? Hmmmmmmm. I'll have to think about that. I'll install it just to see what kind of progress I made at release, I barely even remember. T5 alchemy and a few weapons? Maybe?

Thanks guys.

Much later edit: 100 alchemy, tier 4 all weapons, t5 nature staff and mace, t5 all armors except leather hood (?), apparently at one point I was focused on crafting maces, and did some mining and smelting. I guess maces must have done something cool/useful, cause by the looks of it I pivoted hard to that. I also remember I liked spears and wanted to eventually pvp with those but never got around to it.

Degs fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 9, 2019

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017
There are a few things that could make this game (and the battles) so much better:

* Slower fights: so reïnforcements can arrive, less shouting by the zvz leader, more tactical play
* Add specific resistances (eg: to fire, poison, ice, ...), so you need to make your choices / tradeoffs
* Turn off instant intelligence: make sure you are unable to see the gear of your oppent. This allows for some nice supprises
* Add friendly fire and hostile heals: apart from the hilarious mistakes and heroic sacrifices it allows for some good tactical play. This also fits nicely with the resistances thing (for example: have high poison resistance, run to the hostiles, cast a strong AOE poison spell and watch everyone die)
* put a timer on looting. If you want to loot, you need to hold the field for a bit. Casting heals on corpses resets the timer (allows stalling for backup)
* Healers should have high hp, especially in group (using an aura or somathing) and very little offensive capebilities. This forces you to make choices: clear the dps or go for the healers? Now you have (lucky) hero runs which one shots the healers of a zvz group, ending the fight in 30s

There should also be more reasons to fight. For example: add some kind of development index to a terretory so you can upgrade it (more or more valueable stuff over time)

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

MrOzzy posted:

Healing is one of the most important roles in the game and one of the roles that EVERY group needs (ive never seen groups go without a healer unless theyre purely ganking with no intentions of fighting). Additionally -- in the Awful Company, we provide gear for healers if you die so thats one less thing to worry about.

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017
but healing is boring ...

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006

MrOzzy posted:

but healing is boring ...

I enjoy it -- but I'm also the kind of person who enjoys the whole "support wins games" and "football is won on the offensive line" kind of stuff.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

most of the combat in this game is boring in and of itself, it's not about the actual gameplay it's more about the meta interactions in the game

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.
I'm an old school UO player who just started playing. Please invite Walterinho for all the fun and good fortune in the world.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
Posting for auth, IGN is HowDisgusting

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Another sandbox MMO where the goon guild discord is full of casual racism, p cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Need reauth i got hit in the discord purge i think.

IGN: Keegers