Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Try Mary Renault's The King Must Die. Maybe it's historical fiction from the viewpoint of a pre-scientific mind OR maybe the gods intervene in human affairs?

If your only objection is to genre fantasy there are number of very well-written and superbly weird pre-genre authors who we would today classify as fantasy. James Branch Cabell, Lord Dunsany, etc. http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/dun/swld/swld09.htm

Gene Wolfe can be interesting. His prose is not exactly lyrical but he's a master at unreliable narrators. His "Latro in the Mist" series centers on a Roman soldier with a brain injury who has visions, basically Roman Memento.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I just object to the really poor quality of writing in today’s fantasy, which is usually paired with abysmal politics and/or moral stances of the author. I have read most of what is available, though, or at least sampled a book or two - Bakker, Jordan, Blanderson, Abercombie, Jemisin, Kay, Hobb... They’re all terrible in their own particular ways. Miéville’s Iron Council has some redeeming qualities, Moorcock’s Elric too. Vance is cool, so is Leiber.

Thanks for the Renault recommendation, looks interesting.

e:I’ve read Dunsany and co. Algernon Blackwood is amazing from that era.

Take the plunge! Okay! fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 15, 2019

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

have you read Cabell? read Cabell. I'm reading Figures of Earth right now and it's very odd and excellent and funny.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think Mel got mad at us he's not around so much any more =(

free botl

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Oh, good. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank a human heart for recommending Porius and to whoever recommended Salammbo. Any other books like that you people can think of? Like exotic, fantastical, packed with weirdness but not genre fantasy.

Mulata by Miguel Angel Asturias whips rear end

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I think Mel got mad at us he's not around so much any more =(

"Us"?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Oh, good. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank a human heart for recommending Porius and to whoever recommended Salammbo. Any other books like that you people can think of? Like exotic, fantastical, packed with weirdness but not genre fantasy.

Ice by Anna Kavan has cold junkie weirdness mixed with post apocalyptic world, Frankensten in Baghdad (by Ahmed Saadawi) is one of the more recent examples of Middle Eastern fiction where the clearly fantastical things are talked about in a way it makes them seem a natural extension of the everyday life, Also, Can Xue's books are a unique brand of surreal (but incredibly tightly constructed) weirdness.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

quote:

The royal we, or majestic plural (pluralis maiestatis), is the use of a plural pronoun (or corresponding plural-inflected verb forms) to refer to a single person who is a monarch. The more general word for the use of a we, us, or our to refer to oneself is nosism.

Speakers employing the royal we refer to themselves using a grammatical number other than the singular (i.e., in plural or dual form). For example, in his manifesto confirming the abdication of Grand Duke Constantine Pavlovich, Emperor Alexander I begins: "By the Grace of God, We, Alexander I, Emperor and Autocrat of All the Russias ....".[1]

. . .
In the public situations in which it is used, the monarch or other dignitary is typically speaking not only in his or her personal capacity but also in an official capacity as leader of a nation or institution. In the grammar of several languages, plural forms tend to be perceived as deferential and more polite than singular forms. This grammatical feature is common in languages that have the T-V distinction. English used to have this feature but lost it over time, largely by the end of the 17th century.[3]

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So I'm trying to enjoy my usual trashy paranormal romance series, because most of the time it's fun and has cool murders to solve.

This time however the author decided to make the romantic lead a dude who regularly sexually assaults and harasses the heroine, but the author thinks it's sexy so the heroine never objects for long and all the other characters are cheering on the romance. Here's a choice quote:

"Riley headed out of Mercy's office with a deep sense of rightness in his gut. She'd accepted the mating dance. He had no intention of letting her escape the mating itself, no matter what he had to do."

:negative:

i just want trashy romance with some were-critters and psychics why is this suddenly so messed up, it's like I'm reading a horror novel instead at how all of the characters are swooning at this guy and how he likes to grab Mercy and say things like "I said no." "But your smell says yes."

e: "You ready for a full-time man?" Hard words. "Because I don't do part-time."

Dying laughing while being really angry at this book is a trip

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 17, 2019

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

So I'm trying to enjoy my usual trashy paranormal romance series, because most of the time it's fun and has cool murders to solve.

This time however the author decided to make the romantic lead a dude who regularly sexually assaults and harasses the heroine, but the author thinks it's sexy so the heroine never objects for long and all the other characters are cheering on the romance. Here's a choice quote:

"Riley headed out of Mercy's office with a deep sense of rightness in his gut. She'd accepted the mating dance. He had no intention of letting her escape the mating itself, no matter what he had to do."

:negative:

i just want trashy romance with some were-critters and psychics why is this suddenly so messed up, it's like I'm reading a horror novel instead at how all of the characters are swooning at this guy and how he likes to grab Mercy and say things like "I said no." "But your smell says yes."

e: "You ready for a full-time man?" Hard words. "Because I don't do part-time."

Dying laughing while being really angry at this book is a trip

There is trash books (many of which I adore) and then there are gross books.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
wow crazy that a book belonging to a genre written entirely by and for sexually insane nerds has some weird sex stuff in it

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Are you reading that book series with the native American werewolf lady? Those have some ridiculous covers.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Are you reading that book series with the native American werewolf lady? Those have some ridiculous covers.

Nope, not yet. I'm reading Nalini Singh.

Speak of the devil though, I was looking at starting Patricia Brigg's series soon.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Nope, not yet. I'm reading Nalini Singh.

Speak of the devil though, I was looking at starting Patricia Brigg's series soon.

I haven't read the Mercy Thompson series, I just know about it because somebody once told me about the premise and I had to decide if I thought that was a real thing or made up and I chose fake and there was money involved and I'm still a little bitter about it. Of course it's real!

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

https://www.enmnews.com/2019/08/19/paging-big-brother-in-amazons-bookstore-orwell-gets-a-rewrite/

quote:

One reader discovered, to his surprise, that his new copy of “1984” had passages that were “worded slightly different.” Another offered photographic proof that her edition was near gibberish. A third said the word “faces” was replaced in his copy with “feces.” Getting Orwell books that skip a chunk of pages seemed to be a routine experience.

Even the titles changed. One edition of “Animal Farm: A Fairy Story” referred to itself on the back cover as “Animals Farm: A Fair Story.” The preface referred to another great Orwell work, “Homage to Catalonia,” as “Homepage to Catalonia.”

Homepage to Catalonia is a pro-level username, TBH

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://mobile.twitter.com/sarahljaffe/status/1164144124762738688

quote:

What are three things a person can do to curate their own home library?
First, think about what you are trying to accomplish. Is there a story you are trying to tell? A color palette you want to achieve?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I have to admit, "Thatcher Wine" is an almost too on-the-nose perfect name for a book curator to the stars. And his company does have some rather pretty books.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
thatcher wine

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm vaguely reminded of the lovely parliament wizard in the Bartimaeus Chronicles who had all her grimoires and spellbooks taken out of their original covers and rebound so that they all had the same white exterior with her mark.

Eventually her bookmakers got back at her for decades of shittiness by deliberately introducing copying errors into WARDING CIRCLE 302: DO THIS CORRECTLY TO NOT DIE.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Not nearly as cool as Johnny Depp in The Ninth Gate.

Not sure I'd want someone to make me my own "to-do" list for books. That would be pure misery, even if they were books I might eventually pick myself. Half the fun of reading for me is wandering into a book shop and just finding something that I never thought I'd be reading.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Philthy posted:

Not nearly as cool as Johnny Depp in The Ninth Gate.

Not sure I'd want someone to make me my own "to-do" list for books. That would be pure misery, even if they were books I might eventually pick myself. Half the fun of reading for me is wandering into a book shop and just finding something that I never thought I'd be reading.

Spoilers alert: nobody’s ever reading those books. There are literally decor.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'd say I'm happier with her glorifying books than glorifying jade vagina eggs, but I'm sure it's 95% trash anyway

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Spoilers alert: nobody’s ever reading those books. There are literally decor.

Note that his online store has the option to just buy the book jackets if you'd rather not be inconvenienced with real books.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I will be more than happy to be a paid book consultant

Look, you're a lost cause already, but if it's on a shelf your heirs or assigns might read it one day

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I will be more than happy to be a paid book consultant

Look, you're a lost cause already, but if it's on a shelf your heirs or assigns might read it one day

I’d rather sell crack in front of an elementary school. It’s more dignified.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

when I hit it big I will pay a goon to curate my shelves full of garbage sci fi and fantasy novels

turn the complete Brandon Sanderson physical bibliography into a work of art, thanks

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
For you, I have curated only the best M'Lord!

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
when is the book of the month decided on? the week prior to the 'month' of the book of the month? i'll prob read the next one just to have some book chat in my life

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Finicums Wake posted:

when is the book of the month decided on? the week prior to the 'month' of the book of the month? i'll prob read the next one just to have some book chat in my life

If I have my poo poo together, we do nominations from the 20th to the 25th, then a poll goes up and we vote before the next month starts. Check out the tail end of the current BOTM thread for current nominations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1164560315079700481

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Personally I've had my share of magick for the year (click through for the dark conclusion):

Krankenstyle posted:

Here's a fun thing I came across at a used book store:

Nyeste Punkteerkonst, som viser videlystne Mennesker deres tilkommende Skjebne (Newest Art of Puncture, which shows curious People their future Destiny), published in anonymous translation in Copenhagen 1821 (no idea what the original title or language were). Interestingly, the pages are not cut (ie. it is a full folio page, only folded into a book), so it was apparently unused. I've obtained a scanned copy from the Royal Library instead of cutting open the pages.

The preface states (my bad translation): Who does not wish to pull aside the Veil of the Future and lay bare his future Destiny, and how toilsome is not our Strive to obtain only a feeble Light over some or other of the most intimate Wishes of our Heart. Often the young Beauty sneaks in the Quiet of the Night, disguised, to an old Woman, who knows the Art of Divination through Cards of Coffee Grounds, to there get Advice; but often the good Girl is deceived. The old Sibyl soon feels who she talks to under the Disguise, and by Questions or other Knowledge of the Family Circumstances, she tells the deceived Girl Things that will often flatter her Wishes and let her Hope yet be unfulfilled. — In order that Nobody longer shall be deceived by such old Sibyllae, the Reader is hereby granted this Writ wherein anyone in the Future will find Satisfaction for their Desires.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Dammit, now I have to learn German if I want to know what the future holds. This gonna ruin my side hustle as a sibyl.

https://twitter.com/TheRealOwlKing/status/1053316165236330501

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

it's Danish you false man of letters :argh:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

This rules, I’ve been getting big into occult stuff recently. It’s all so fascinating!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1166434321584070656

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
why are you linking us to a tweet that links us to a thread

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

chernobyl kinsman posted:

because i want you to vote! and read!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

You just got incepted, bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm vaguely reminded of the lovely parliament wizard in the Bartimaeus Chronicles who had all her grimoires and spellbooks taken out of their original covers and rebound so that they all had the same white exterior with her mark.

Eventually her bookmakers got back at her for decades of shittiness by deliberately introducing copying errors into WARDING CIRCLE 302: DO THIS CORRECTLY TO NOT DIE.

No that was the magician who summoned a demon to beat th poo poo out of the publishers son not Jessica. She's just devoured by the conspiracy guy Demons at the end.

E: I did read these a decade ago though so I might have got her name wrong