Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cappaj
Jul 29, 2019

The Bloop posted:

1st question:
Is this actually supported by anything citable?

2nd question:
Can I download an app to turn my phone into a geiger counter or whatever

You can get kits to measure radon in your house. Where I live, one house can have safe levels while their neighbour's radon is off the charts, just depending on what's in the ground around you, I guess. If needed, you can hire someone to install a radon mitigation system (I think it usually goes in the basement?...not sure if it would help with venting out countertop-sourced radon).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Brute Squad posted:

framing looks pretty good. I'm not so sure about some of the structural elements, but if a PE signed off on them, I'd be fine with it.

Yeah the only thing about that is it looks like they ripped out the drywall, then decided the bare framing looked good.

And then decided to live in it.

Which is strange since it seems to not have a functioning shower or toilet.

Also it's in the rear end-end of Appalachia.

The Bloop posted:

1st question:
Is this actually supported by anything citable?

2nd question:

I don't know about granite countertops specifically, but radon in houses is totally a thing.

http://www.bccdc.ca/health-professionals/professional-resources/radon-testing
https://www.epa.gov/radon
https://www.epa.gov/radon/citizens-guide-radon-guide-protecting-yourself-and-your-family-radon
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ewh-semt/alt_formats/hecs-sesc/pdf/pubs/radiation/radon_brochure/radon-brochure-eng.pdf

Oh, yeah, here's the EPA on granite countertops:
https://www.epa.gov/radiation/granite-countertops-and-radiation#identifying

EPA posted:

Identifying the presence and concentration of radioactive elements in each specific granite countertop requires sophisticated instruments. These instruments require proper calibration and a knowledge and trained user to interpret the results. If you are interested in learning about testing methods, information is available from your state’s radiation protection program. Visit the Conference of Radiation Control Program Directors (CRCPD) EXIT website to find the radiation program contact for each state.

Radon originating from the soil beneath homes is a more common problem and a far larger public health risk than radon from granite building materials. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer and is estimated to cause tens of thousands of lung cancer deaths in the U.S. each year. To reduce the risk of lung cancer from exposure to radon, EPA recommends testing all homes for radon and mitigating high levels, regardless of whether the home contains granite countertops.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

cappaj posted:

You can get kits to measure radon in your house. Where I live, one house can have safe levels while their neighbour's radon is off the charts, just depending on what's in the ground around you, I guess. If needed, you can hire someone to install a radon mitigation system (I think it usually goes in the basement?...not sure if it would help with venting out countertop-sourced radon).

Yes radon is much heavier than air, so mitigation intakes go in basements. Usually under the basement floor.
E: denser, not heavier. And my friend who deals with these things says they put it in the basement because most of the radon comes from under the floor, and there’s usually less air movement in the basement. So I was wrong pretty much all around

Also all the “radon mitigation systems” I’ve seen are nothing more than a bunch of PVC pipe and one fan that’s on 24/7. And they cost between $1000 and $1500.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 21, 2019

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yes radon is much heavier than air, so mitigation intakes go in basements. Usually under the basement floor.

Also all the “radon mitigation systems” I’ve seen are nothing more than a bunch of PVC pipe and one fan that’s on 24/7. And they cost between $1000 and $1500.

Yeah, the EPA even reckons as low as $250.

https://www.epa.gov/radon/radon-resistant-new-construction-home-buyers

There's gonna be a whole lot of crappy construction tales from new builds that didn't bother with it, though.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

The Bloop posted:

2nd question:

Amazingly, yes.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Basically all granite contains uranium and thorium, which produce radon.

So does the soil. Have any natural stone cladding? poo poo could have up to 4000 Bq/kg of K-40 in it. Brick house? 1600 Bq/kg has been observed in bricks. An adult human being contains more that 7 kBq of radioisotopes; sleeping next to another human being increases your annual dose by about 1 mrem.

If you're going to seriously worry about cancer from granite countertops you're better off sleeping alone.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

We're goons, I would assume that's a given.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
radon is radon, granite can release hazardous amounts of radon in some circumstances, caring about that isn’t unreasonable. you don’t have to be afraid of granite counters or w/e, that would be silly, but recognizing a generally-unacknowledged vector of one of the highest-body-count avoidable carcinogens as such and just being thoughtful in its use/installation is just “being not stupid”

also: there should, like, definitely be some independent testing of this stuff, even if just to confirm that i’m an idiot, but also highlight that 1/1000 slab that’s Definitely Too Fissile and keep em out of households. which is the approximate standard we regard radon with in general to as it stands. even if it’s not a substantive hazard there’s still a clear issue with consumer awareness here

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 21, 2019

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm honestly a little baffled by this refrain.

I've been living with a "temporary" kitchen for 18 months now and it has literally no cabinets, everything is open, because it's just counters sat on sawhorses. I have had zero problems with aerosolised grease.

Here's a pot with a fine layer of sawdust from some nearby carpentry I've been doing. I swiped a finger through it for you, no grease what so ever. The lid won't need more than a rinse or a wipe with a dry paper towel before use.

Note how close it's stored to my induction hob, where I cook burgers and sausages and eggs etc. There's some direct splatter you can see on the wall where a backsplash would be, and that same direct splatter is present on the *side* of the pot and would need wiping off before use, but no part of that same pot or any other pot, pan, utensil, or crockery in the kitchen has any grease on it outside of the direct line of fire.

Is it possible that the problem, such that it exists at all, is created by people having recirculating faux extractor fans pulling in drops of grease and blasting them through a spinning blade, before firing them back into the kitchen?

Either you have an odd way of cooking burgers or you are bad at detecting grease on things.

I can feel and see the grease on my spectacles after cooking them. Same with e.g. taking hot roasting meats / veg out of the oven, stir fry cooking.

We are not all collectively imagining the problem. Happens the same way regardless of extractor, though is lessened by a good external venting one.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Look at all you Schills for Big counter top.
GRANITE CAN KILL YOU AND MAKE YOU AUTISM!!

I always liked Granite counter tops, even before it became the IN thing to have in your house. I have them in my poverty spec condo. Would like it if it was a brighter colour though. Or a fancier looking pattern. Too dark.

granite is my favorite rock and I'm such a fuckin nerd

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm honestly a little baffled by this refrain.

I've been living with a "temporary" kitchen for 18 months now and it has literally no cabinets, everything is open, because it's just counters sat on sawhorses. I have had zero problems with aerosolised grease.

Here's a pot with a fine layer of sawdust from some nearby carpentry I've been doing. I swiped a finger through it for you, no grease what so ever. The lid won't need more than a rinse or a wipe with a dry paper towel before use.

Note how close it's stored to my induction hob, where I cook burgers and sausages and eggs etc. There's some direct splatter you can see on the wall where a backsplash would be, and that same direct splatter is present on the *side* of the pot and would need wiping off before use, but no part of that same pot or any other pot, pan, utensil, or crockery in the kitchen has any grease on it outside of the direct line of fire.

Is it possible that the problem, such that it exists at all, is created by people having recirculating faux extractor fans pulling in drops of grease and blasting them through a spinning blade, before firing them back into the kitchen?

Look at my reply to Bouvenstein - that discolored crap on the shelf is between the plate racks my Dad is chiseling out. With the racks there, you have no way to clean that crap out. And the stuff that's there is the stuff that wasn't caught by the plates racked in there. It was nasty. Grease, dust, pollen, and random bug crap, since that's South Carolina, and good luck keeping out bugs.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

Look at all you Schills for Big counter top.
GRANITE CAN KILL YOU AND MAKE YOU AUTISM!!

I always liked Granite counter tops, even before it became the IN thing to have in your house. I have them in my poverty spec condo. Would like it if it was a brighter colour though. Or a fancier looking pattern. Too dark.

granite is my favorite rock and I'm such a fuckin nerd

It's OK. Since you're in a condo and radon is heavy, your counters are only killing the people downstairs.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Alarbus posted:

Look at my reply to Bouvenstein - that discolored crap on the shelf is between the plate racks my Dad is chiseling out. With the racks there, you have no way to clean that crap out. And the stuff that's there is the stuff that wasn't caught by the plates racked in there. It was nasty. Grease, dust, pollen, and random bug crap, since that's South Carolina, and good luck keeping out bugs.

I'm not saying it's a non-existent problem, I'm just saying that "people with open cabinets must not cook" isn't the answer either, because I do cook and I have open everything and don't find it a problem. So there must be something else going on.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ambrose Burnside posted:

my fave thing about granite countertops are that they often offgas radon and the granite industry absolutely refuses to acknowledge it or offer any sort of testing because there’s no legal requirement to do so and independent testing has found examples that are straight-up hazardous if not used in very well-ventilated spaces and there’s no way to verify that your granite countertops aren’t giving you lung cancer aside from testing after you’ve bought and installed the things

Radon is a problem in basements because the cubic kilometres of granite underneath can generate serious amounts of radon.

One cubic metre of countertop is generating such a small amount of radon it’s not a concern.

It will be generating a measurable amount of radon, and that’s why the industry doesn’t want testing.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

couldcareless posted:

Load bearing funk

This post is class.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Platystemon posted:

Radon is a problem in basements because the cubic kilometres of granite underneath can generate serious amounts of radon.

One cubic metre of countertop is generating such a small amount of radon it’s not a concern.

It will be generating a measurable amount of radon, and that’s why the industry doesn’t want testing.

Yeah, I think there's other things that need warning labels more urgently than granite countertops.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nevets posted:

Yeah, I think there's other things that need warning labels more urgently than granite countertops.

:cripes:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nevets posted:

Good call.

Like Cave Johnson said, the Moon is pure poison.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I was going more for the Sun being a huge cancer source, but now that you mention it I bet lunar regolith dust would give asbestos a run for it's money.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I would love black soapstone like a chem lab. Anyone else as broke-brained as me?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The Bloop posted:

2nd question:

Some JP phone models had built-in geiger counters after Fukushima. They were not popular. (Also, smartphonet happened.)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Blindeye posted:

I would love black soapstone like a chem lab. Anyone else as broke-brained as me?

If I had several thousand more dollars to spend on this kitchen, I'd absolutely be all over that.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ghostnuke posted:

can grate your cheese on it too

And your hip / buttocks muscle as well.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ArNSTzps1I

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I don't wanna just let this pass, in case anyone doesn't know about electricity. As my old teacher used to say, "it's the volts that jolt, but the current that kills." In other words you cannot evaluate whether exposure to a particular electrical charge is dangerous solely by looking at the voltage.

Anything over 100 milliamps is dangerous and potentially fatal.

Allowing an arc welder's charge to flow through your body can definitely kill you.

The trick to arc-welding is that you the welder have a much higher resistance than the metal you're welding, and the current will flow where it meets the least resistance. You will get zapped if you're a dumbass and weld on wet ground with no gloves, because the current will seek ground over the neutral return if there is less resistance that way, but generally it only takes being bitten once to learn better.

Also, if you're just tack welding, a helmet isn't strictly necessary, because you can just close your eyes and make a quick tack. But a tack weld is temporary and takes minimal load, you'll want the helmet when you weld the tack up. I watched my grandfather weld steel floors in trailers sans helmet by reaching under with the electrode and control the weld by watching the opposite side of the weld pool from above.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Blindeye posted:

Yes, but I don't think ours were made of soapstone. They were likely phenolic resin because of the age, but epoxy is probably more common now. Epoxy resin counters with epoxy painted concrete floors sounds pretty loving durable to me.

quote:

Anyone else as broke-brained as me?

I think I first heard about the benefits of doing that in the 90's on Usenet. Proto-goons have been fantasizing about lab-grade countertops for a long time.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Whatever the black countertops in my hs chem lab were made of was scratched up like hell by 30 years of student graffiti. A safety pin was enough to gouge yr thoughts.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Nevets posted:

When I bought my new house the kitchen countertops were advertised as 'green marble' but I think they are actually a kind of serpentine. The quarry is less than 50 miles away, give or take, so I'm pretty certain I made a bologna sandwich this morning on a slab of gemstone :v:
Yeah, the green in 'green marble' is serpentine. Anything vaguely marble adjacent (serpentine is sometimes blended with marble) will be sold as marble, just as anything slightly granitelike is sold as granite.
Serpentine is sometimes used as a gem, but so are the quartz and feldspar that make up the majority of granite. Gems all the way down. Chrysotile asbestos is also a form of serpentine (it's a weird little mineral family). Yours is probably made mostly of lizardite (the name is a total coincidence).

Blindeye posted:

Soapstone is largely made of talc. This stuff is probably more soapstone adjacent, mostly made of slightly less soft minerals, but still that's a hard pass from me. I don't want to be able to scratch my countertop with my fingernails.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It's OK. Since you're in a condo and radon is heavy, your counters are only killing the people downstairs.

I live on the first floor. Everyone is killing me! :suicide:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Phanatic posted:

If you're going to seriously worry about cancer from granite countertops you're better off sleeping alone.
At least I have the choice of whether I get one or not

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Baronjutter posted:

Personally I'd want to go with something smooth and white like a nice synthetic. My folks say granite is good because the sparkles and strong grain "hide dirt". Um, you don't want to hide dirt in a loving kitchen. Give me stark medical white so I always know my counters are clean and pure.

These stain sooo easily. Plus they have joins in them.
(Maybe you can pay a shitload to get extra long pieces made without joins?)

Ambrose Burnside posted:

my fave thing about granite countertops are that they often offgas radon and the granite industry absolutely refuses to acknowledge it or offer any sort of testing because there’s no legal requirement to do so and independent testing has found examples that are straight-up hazardous if not used in very well-ventilated spaces and there’s no way to verify that your granite countertops aren’t giving you lung cancer aside from testing after you’ve bought and installed the things

Radeon doesn't seem like that big of a problem above ground.

Edit: hey, look at that whole new page o' posts.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Aug 22, 2019

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Blindeye posted:

No way. Once the teens find out about your countertops they're gonna come over and start scratching swear words into them.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
What if we combine the 2 recent derails and go full Flip or Flop mode:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Concrete can be done well.

That isn’t.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkFZLLzyNoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOPxZuzqxm4

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Blindeye posted:

I thought lab tables tended to be black slate.

Personally I like granite and natural stones a lot, but that's probably because that's what I do for a living.
The one thing that I've seen recently that I like a lot is that the quartz versions of natural stones are getting a hell of a lot closer to the real stuff. So you can do a white marble kitchen counter top without worrying about it staining as easily as real marble does, plus it takes an edge way better than natural stone so it miters up beautifully.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 22, 2019

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Concrete can be done well.

That isn’t.

Friend of mine does architectural concrete poo poo.

Bathubs, counters, tables, stairs, building cladding. Some pretty neat creations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Yooper posted:

Bathubs, counters, tables, stairs, building cladding. Some pretty neat creations.

The stairs I get, because I can see how they are supported, but how is that tub reinforced? Wouldn't that be exceptionally vulnerable to damage on the flat parts? It doesn't look thick enough to have much rebar or anything inside it.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

AFewBricksShy posted:

The stairs I get, because I can see how they are supported, but how is that tub reinforced? Wouldn't that be exceptionally vulnerable to damage on the flat parts? It doesn't look thick enough to have much rebar or anything inside it.

I have no idea. It's the first time I've seen one his designs look so thin. Normally they're a bit heftier. I'll hit him up next time I see him.

Here's the sink from the same project.

edit : Process shot

Seems it is Polyvinyl Alcohol Fibers.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yooper posted:

I feel like somewhere there is a stereotypical mob boss who ordered a 'concrete bath' for a troubling associate and is now extremely put out with his henchmen.