Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Peanut Butler posted:

what are the current good web serials that aren't about superheroes or knights and wizards?

So you're looking for science fiction? Or is it specifically superheroes, knights and wizards you object to?

MC in Threadbare is a teddy bear in a fantasy world.

MC in Forge of Destiny is kind of a thief, but since it is voter driven there are large stretches where the voters ignore that and don't have her steal anything.

MC in Iron Teeth is a goblin assassin. The MC is also evil, so it's not my jam, but you might enjoy it.

Burkion from SA is writing Lightning Brigade which is basically power rangers (I think, I haven't read it yet). I don't know if that counts as super heroes or not.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

lol at this nerd that's never heard of a genre that isn't fantasy, scifi, or capes

Threadbare and Iron Teeth def have magic in them though.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

lol at this nerd that's never heard of a genre that isn't fantasy, scifi, or capes

Threadbare and Iron Teeth def have magic in them though.

To be fair it was specified 'knights' and 'wizards'.

....Twig? Biotech steampunk setting.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Wish I had found he who fights with monsters three years from now when it's got a bigger stockpile. Its genuinely funny.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Peanut Butler posted:

what are the current good web serials that aren't about superheroes or knights and wizards?

So cultivators and rogues and "Other" is your jam?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Maybe they're looking for other common book genres like romance, mystery, thriller, historical fiction, etc.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Someone please paste spreadsheets of stats into a Tingler, tia.

edit: and post it 500 words at a time

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Peanut Butler posted:

The Last Angel is Sci-Fi/Horror with an insane AI as the MC.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Avulsion posted:

It’s also set in a thinly veiled Halo universe where Earth and Humanity lost. It’s pretty decent, actually.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Cicero posted:

Maybe they're looking for other common book genres like romance, mystery, thriller, historical fiction, etc.

I don't think you realize which thread this is.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Trasson posted:

Technically, it's a thread for fiction being serialized on web, no matter the genre. I can't really think of any that isn't SF, but still.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Trasson posted:

I do actually

But yeah, outside of capes and wizards there's not a lot going on

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The earthfic ghetto is very much a thing for web serials. An interesting concept is probably the single least important thing for writing a good story, but it’s the most important for getting people to read your story.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

neat, cool, thanks for the recommends!

I don't hate stories about wizards or capes but the fantasy/supers serials I've checked out have universally been not for me, and it seems to be a vast majority of em these days

most of the online free fiction I read is from SCP Wiki, which is kinda hit or miss- I guess I'm looking for stories that are sorta like House of Leaves or The Prague Cemetary or p much anything Borges wrote

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Peanut Butler posted:

I guess I'm looking for stories that are sorta like House of Leaves or The Prague Cemetary or p much anything Borges wrote

I'm not a fan of how this thread likes deploying 'lol web serials are trash, don't expect anything good' but, no, you're not going to find that when writing at, like, Expanse levels of storytelling and prose is far too much for the serial audience to figure out.

However, as the guy who reads more than whatever's hot on RoyalRoad in this thread, let me point you to two that may actually fit.

Endless Stars - "Endless Stars is a longform web novel of literary xenofantasy."

The Simulacrum of Dread - Which is a story I'm honestly not sure how to describe despite reading it the whole way through. Some people love it, I found it dense and impenetrable.

But if that's what you're looking for, I'd say these are your closest bets in the world of webfiction.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
PracGuide: scribe's work? though this seems to complicate things for Cat's plans

EDIT: Actually given that, Bard is likely involved. Also cus Auger should be extremely difficult for Scribe to work around, but not for Bard. Or most likely, Bard enabled Scribe in the background

lurksion fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 23, 2019

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

PracGuide: I don't think Augur is actually difficult for Scribe to work around tbh, Scribe seems to be the exact sort of Named to be able to unnoticed by her. She's all about moving about in the background and not having attention paid to her. Much like, well, a scribe in a story. And Cordelia is right, just making sure messages from the Augur can't reach her is enough.

Anyway, Cordelia was pretty badass here. She'll have her Name soon, probably around the time she breaks the House of Light in Procer and proclaims she is the Highest Assembly. And Bard's plot to put a Named in charge of Procer will be successful, thereby allowing her to better manipulate and use it.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 23, 2019

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

SerSpook posted:

PracGuide: I don't think Augur is actually difficult for Scribe to work around tbh, Scribe seems to be the exact sort of Named to be able to unnoticed by her.
Black & Scribe had a discussion about this previously (somewhere, not sure where), and their conclusion was that she could only be attacked/misdirected by improvisation on "fortuitous" events, anything planned would be caught - aka the exact opposite of what Scribe does. I interpret this as you can set up triggered contingency plans, but you can't plan a sequence or their triggers. Thus I believe fortuitous Bard must be involved, whether Scribe knows out or not.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 23, 2019

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

It doesn't change the fact that you just have to prevent the Augur from being able to warn Cordelia, as she herself realized. No reason Bard needed any direct involvement, and I'd be kind of disappointed if she is. It would feel really cheap, actually, to just have all the bad stuff happening be because of the Bard when Scribe is a perfectly reasonable guess and that we explicitly know is in Salia working to destabilize Procer.

e: I'd also like to reiterate that Scribe seems very capable of making people not pay attention to her and what she's doing, and that the Augur explicitly isn't able to just see everything and has to prioritize. Scribe could very well have had something in play where the Augur just... didn't check for plots against Cordelia when the important pieces were being put into place, or checked in the wrong places.

Basically I want to see Scribe do something fuckin' crazy and amazing, even if ill-timed, and this seems right. Besides, it's all long-term part of Bard's plan anyway or playing into it, because it probably leads to a Named ruling Procer.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 23, 2019

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Bard was with Saint when she set up the whole Arch heretic thing to prevent any deals or compromises though. That this is another Church plot means it still might be her.

quote:

She absent-mindedly noted a handful of details in quick succession – there were two cups, not one, and one had been toppled. It’d spilled liquor all over the table. The other goblet was in the hands of the heroine, inclined at an angle that allowed her to recognize water within. They were alone in the room, the only other door behind the Saint, and the chandeliers casting light allowed moving shadows to be cast into the corners.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Avulsion posted:

I started this last night and am really enjoying it. Stayed up waaaay too late "just one more chapter".

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!

boxen posted:

I started this last night and am really enjoying it. Stayed up waaaay too late "just one more chapter".

Seriously, the atrocious format/location is killing me but it's really sucked me in, far more than I would have thought

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

Bard was with Saint when she set up the whole Arch heretic thing to prevent any deals or compromises though. That this is another Church plot means it still might be her.

Bard has to work through Named though, are there any in Salia that has this kind of pull with the House? Because last I checked, there aren't. Pilgrim isn't there, Saint is dead, the White Knight and his companions are in the North fighting the Dead King, Augur is an ally of Cordelia's. The very most Bard could have done is gently caress with Augur's visions in some fashion so she could't warn Cordelia of Scribe's plot, and I'm not convinced even that's necessary.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 23, 2019

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

boxen posted:

Me exactly the same!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI Patreon: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:

(i have a feeling i'm gonna be using this alot for the next few chapters)

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Avulsion posted:

ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME?!? I find this fucker, binge it over several days, and catch up and it’s 10 chapters to the end and now I have to wait?!? :smithicide:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Into the Mire: I'm 40 odd chapters in and I'm kind of hating everyone that isn't Calay and Gaz. Calay has saved the others' lives on multiple occasions now, and they're not only planning on betraying him, but are angry at each other that they're not betraying him quickly and thoroughly enough.

I cheered when Riss got squished. Too bad she got better.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 26, 2019

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

navyjack posted:

ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME?!? I find this fucker, binge it over several days, and catch up and it’s 10 chapters to the end and now I have to wait?!? :smithicide:

Yeah. Where did this little poo poo hide? Its actually pretty cool.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

navyjack posted:

Hey, at least you came in after the most recent chapter finally did the thing.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Affi posted:

Yeah. Where did this little poo poo hide? Its actually pretty cool.

I’m trying to think of a modern epic SCIFI/Space Opera that is better and coming up blank. The Expanse? Not really. Weber? Don’t make me laugh. Vorkosigan? Up there. Who IS this turd?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

PracGuide: Brother Simon is pretty awesome, and looks like Scribe has been corresponding with some folks under the name of Rozala Malanza. Boy, will those priests have egg on their faces! Man, even if this coup succeeds, you'll get the one Proceran most interested in negotiating with the Arch-heretic of the East and the Carrion Lord, and who most believes in giving everything to fight back the Dead King.

And it's great that the Proceran House of Light is willing to sacrifice hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions of people for the war against Below, but by god they won't sacrifice some of their wealth or their own lives to do it! As an institution, they're pretty disgusting and easily fooled.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Aug 26, 2019

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

navyjack posted:

I’m trying to think of a modern epic SCIFI/Space Opera that is better and coming up blank. The Expanse? Not really. Weber? Don’t make me laugh. Vorkosigan? Up there. Who IS this turd?

look I really liked Last Angel but please dont say it's better than Bujold lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LLSix posted:

I just blasted through all 30 chapters of https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/26294/he-who-fights-with-monsters

It is pretty great. Not the most sensible decision making going on, but it is so fun I don’t really care.

Been awhile but Threadbare is pretty fantastic. It is about a teddybear that goes on an adventure to rescue his girl/owner.

Story is mostly lighthearted with amusing pun enemies. You can find it on RoyalRoad. I think there’s even a published version.

I like that everyone either gets along with the main character or absolutely, insanely hates him

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

navyjack posted:

Anne Leckie's Ancillary Justice is pretty drat good and recent.

Yoon Ha Lee's Ninefox Gambit was very strange and quite enjoyable.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Kalas posted:

Anne Leckie's Ancillary Justice is pretty drat good and recent.

I enjoye Ancillary Justice too, it has a similar feel as The Last Angel.

I binged through the first 30-ish chapters last week, and then was out camping with friends well out of cell reception range all weekend so I had to wait until last night to finish it off. Worth the wait, satisfying ending.

I really enjoyed how you didn't (or at least I didn't) know what Echo's plan was until the very end. She seemed clearly insane early in the story, then moved on to "insane with purpose". She chose to punish her sister by ensuring that she lived forever with her failure , and I liked the feel of that.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

look I really liked Last Angel but please dont say it's better than Bujold lol

Yeah, that got away from me a little.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Kalas posted:

Yoon Ha Lee's Ninefox Gambit was very strange and quite enjoyable.

I'mma say the opposite, it was loving awful. Just change all the mentions of 'high mathematics' to 'high magics' and it makes more sense. It's a fantasy book masquerading as a sci-fi, and bad one at that.

quote:

"If it had fallen to calendrical rot, the hexarchate's exotic weapons would be of limited use there. The hexacharte lagged in invariant technology, which could be used under any calendrical regime. In particular, too close to the rot voidmoths' primary stardrives would fail. Without the voidmoths to connect the hexacharte's worlds, the realm would unravel."

:techno: anyone?

Now, I don't need a Jim Butcher-esque explanation of everything every 2 pages, but come the gently caress on, actually supply with something to build things upon. Nah, 90% of the book is like that, with a cardboard personality-trait character and it's a loving mess.

We're told things work on a mathematical basis and people believing in it. If others believe otherwise, things go bad. That's not mathematics, that's literally faith magic. It's tragic, really, a way better author could've done the idea justice.

Instead you get an incomprehensible word salad.

end spoilers And none of the first book matters.

Go read Ancillary Justice instead, it's a way better read.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Musluk posted:

I'mma say the opposite, it was loving awful. Just change all the mentions of 'high mathematics' to 'high magics' and it makes more sense. It's a fantasy book masquerading as a sci-fi, and bad one at that.

Now, I don't need a Jim Butcher-esque explanation of everything every 2 pages, but come the gently caress on, actually supply with something to build things upon. Nah, 90% of the book is like that, with a cardboard personality-trait character and it's a loving mess.

We're told things work on a mathematical basis and people believing in it. If others believe otherwise, things go bad. That's not mathematics, that's literally faith magic. It's tragic, really, a way better author could've done the idea justice.

It was based on a system where things worked because people believed it. I took the 'math' as a form of the belief system and just went with it.
It reminded me of a equally grim Warhammer40k setting except the humans took on the greenskin's mental gestalt as well.

(I will agree what you have in spoilers irked me, but I still enjoyed the first book, just not the 2nd as much)

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Musluk posted:

I mean, science-fantasy is a cool and relatively uncommon genre that I think is cool when it tries to go maximum weird.

I haven't even read the book and just from the blurbs on the back i can decipher the technobabble, too, so it doesn't seem too bad - from what I understand physics warp based on belief and mindset, which tend to be bundled into a sort of calendar system slash religion to 'standardise' this and make it exploitable, and the empire called 'the hexarchate', relies too much on technology that functions off of that malleable physics, and they rely on something called a 'voidmoth' to spread this reality-manipulation - and whoever they're fighting has something called a 'rot voidmoth' that disrupts this, and has more skill with technology that uses non-malleable physics to take advantage of this fact.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Hey, at least you came in after the most recent chapter finally did the thing.

I'm on about page 100 of this thread, it stops at 143 and that's in 2015 - does it carry on elsewhere?