Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Relin posted:

i dont know thart series but it sounds like the author was probably being a prima donna, same reason gash bell author doesnt get work any more ( though animal land sucked, i was enjoying vector ball untill it got canned)

Wow really? The Gash Bell author seemed decent from his commentary at the end of each volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm kinda lost as to why the Gash Bell guy is labeled a primadonna for switching companies when the previous company lost some of his work and tapping out on Vector Ball.
Animal Land was ok, maybe not on the level of Gash but nothing I wouldn't run away from at speed. It just felt like he wasn't feeling it for Vector Ball and decided it was a mercy to can it early before he was locked into writing a whole bunch of stuff that made both him and the readers miserable.

Not sure if that's what happened to Daisuke Moriyama and his work on Mousou Kikou (the work that got shelved) but I think out of hand calling these guys primadonnas is a bit much.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 21, 2019

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I recall the Gash Bell mangaka saying he felt like he ran out of ideas for Vector Ball. Better to end it than make something joyless.

Trying to think of known drama case mangaka... Kubo apparently really didn't get along with Jump editorial but as a guy he was pretty nice I hear. Toriyama famously didn't get along with his editors. The Noah's Notes mangaka is super online and openly poo poo on other manga and ranted each time he got axed.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

Wow really? The Gash Bell author seemed decent from his commentary at the end of each volume.

I think the name calling stems from the decade long lawsuit it seems he's recently finished over his previous publishers withholding the original drawings he submitted during its serialization. I know the series is being reprinted now under a new publishing house like this month.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Our boy Denji got second place in the Tsugimanga print awards.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mulderman posted:

Our boy Denji got second place in the Tsugimanga print awards.

Considering who he lost to, well done Denji! It may not be a Nobel prize like you wanted, but it's still good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

who'd he lose to?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Spy X Family, which is excellent and you should read it

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

HenryEx posted:

Spy X Family, which is excellent and you should read it

Spy X Family won 1st in web, not print.

Kusuriya no Hitorigoto (The Pharmacist's Monologue) won 1st in print.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-08-22/spy-family-kusuriya-no-hitorigoto-win-tsugi-ni-kuru-manga-award-2019/.150311

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-08-22/spy-family-kusuriya-no-hitorigoto-win-tsugi-ni-kuru-manga-award-2019/.150311

Epic mao mao win.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

And Bakarina got 4th!

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Why is Samurai 8 still a thing? Holy hell this garbage has been filled to the brim with exposition. Any other series would have been axed by now. I guess the name Kishimoto still carries a lot of weight.

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

Mulderman posted:

Why is Samurai 8 still a thing? Holy hell this garbage has been filled to the brim with exposition. Any other series would have been axed by now. I guess the name Kishimoto still carries a lot of weight.
I really like the setting. Naruto had some body horror themes so I’m guessing this is what the author wanted to write now that he’s famous and can get away with it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This level of lore dumping would mean the axe was coming if it was any other series. I'm just like drat man, get to the hero's journey already

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

The previous chapter would have been a good starting point. Dad's dead, point up to the sky and have a tekst Samurai 8, Prologue end.
But nope! More lore dumping! I'm also incredibly salty because a too large a focus on lore (altough interesting) was wat got The Last Saiyuki axed. So I might not be entirely fair to Samurai 8.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Nah, the last Saiyuki did the lore dump BECAUSE it was getting axed. It's basically how you can tell when a series is getting told to wrap things up.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Saiyuki has been heavy on exposition since day one. Volume 1 of the manga ended somewhere during the confrontation with Sai. Most of it is taken up by Ryunosuke talking with his dad.
Volume 1 sold abysmally bad and is probably the reason it got the axe.

Both series start out by lots of talking and world building. It's just that Samurai 8 has Kishimoto's name attached to it and Jump is pushing that series heavily based on all the color pages it got.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

really wouldn't be surprised if samurai 8 was cancelled soon too

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I absolutely love the setting and even most of the characters, but God drat I can't keep track of this plot. I get the broad strokes but I need to go back and re read the first couple chapters because this key/power system is very confusing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

biggest problem for me is how busy the art has been. at least there's less visual clutter in the exposition void

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Mulderman posted:

The previous chapter would have been a good starting point. Dad's dead, point up to the sky and have a tekst Samurai 8, Prologue end.
But nope! More lore dumping! I'm also incredibly salty because a too large a focus on lore (altough interesting) was wat got The Last Saiyuki axed. So I might not be entirely fair to Samurai 8.

It's legitimate world building. I have no problem with it at this point in the manga. If it's still like this 50-100 chapters in then it will be an issue to complain about.

The setting is neat, the characters are interesting, the style is interesting. There's lots to like about it.

As for the art. It seems to be getting better. I think part of the issue is framing of some of the shots where the detail and form is completely lost. It's more about changing how they draw the scenes than changing the art in any major way.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

My main issue with it is that Samurai 8 gets away with it. it's not really doing that great in the ranking. But Jump is heavily pushing it. Giving it more color pages than other starting series and it's pretty much guaranteed to run for like a full year before they'll start doubting it.
Meanwhile a legitimately good series like Saiyuki gets the axe because it actually took the time to develop it's world and characters forcing it to rush towards an early conclusion.

And I know jump is a business and they only care about creating the next One Piece or My Hero. But still I wish they gave more series the same treatment Samurai 8 seems to be getting. Ah well. Wound's still fresh I guess. I just hope the series gets its rear end in gear now.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I love how utterly inhuman samurai are and the weird seamless energy/flesh transformation thing that key holders do.

I'm glad Kishimoto decided to make this weird/grotesque space thing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Uncle Khasim posted:

I really like the setting. Naruto had some body horror themes so I’m guessing this is what the author wanted to write now that he’s famous and can get away with it.

Is the artist for that not Kishimoto himself? Because something about Samurai 8's art really bugs me and is unpleasant to look at (despite sharing characteristic's with the art in Naruto) while I always felt Naruto/Kishimoto had a genuinely good style that had distinct character designs and well-drawn action scenes.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

The artist is one of his assistants from Naruto, Akira Okubo. He's also the younger brother of the Soul Eater/Fire Force mangaka, so there's a bit of pedigree outside of Kishimoto.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
^e:fb

Kishimoto is not doing the art here.

It's Akira Okubo IIRC one of Kishi's assistants on Naruto.

I think the art in this series is good, it's just too busy, and feels like someone who is a good artist, but extremely is not good at panel construction.
Like the visual style, character art is all great. but it just doesn't grab you with the angles and how pages are arranged, which is something I think Kishimoto was great at.

Honestly Samurai 8 has the opposite problem that I have with the Boruto manga where I think the like framing and pacing on Bort are actually close to Kishimoto and pretty good, but the character art and visual style is just so bad.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Dexo posted:

^e:fb

Kishimoto is not doing the art here.

It's Akira Okubo IIRC one of Kishi's assistants on Naruto.

I think the art in this series is good, it's just too busy, and feels like someone who is a good artist, but extremely is not good at panel construction.
Like the visual style, character art is all great. but it just doesn't grab you with the angles and how pages are arranged, which is something I think Kishimoto was great at.

Honestly Samurai 8 has the opposite problem that I have with the Boruto manga where I think the like framing and pacing on Bort are actually close to Kishimoto and pretty good, but the character art and visual style is just so bad.

I'll second not liking Boruto's visual style. It feels like an off-brand drawing of Naruto's visual style. At the least recent arcs have been decently written, because Samurai 8 still doesn't feel like it's gone anywhere even with all the exposition. Within 15 chapters, Squad 7 is fighting Zabuza for the first time, and Samurai 8 still hasn't finished its basic world building.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

Doubleposting, but Samurai 8 needs more pages per chapter if it wants to do what it wants to do. It's getting exhausting waiting for it to launch into something for 15 weeks now.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I can understand wanting to spend a lot of time on worldbuilding when you're dropping this weird Shinto transhumanism cyborg space adventure on your audience that is used to settings that are more Modern Japan Or Fantasy Japan With Some Differences

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Serge Painsbourg posted:

I'll second not liking Boruto's visual style. It feels like an off-brand drawing of Naruto's visual style. At the least recent arcs have been decently written, because Samurai 8 still doesn't feel like it's gone anywhere even with all the exposition. Within 15 chapters, Squad 7 is fighting Zabuza for the first time, and Samurai 8 still hasn't finished its basic world building.

ata's introduction in samurai 8 feels more like itachi or orochimaru's to me than it does zabusa's. they're been going pretty fast in introducing long term stuff since he showed up

does anyone actually like boruto's art style? it's so ugly

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Manatee Cannon posted:

Doesn't bother me at all. It's nice and clean, and the characters look like they are supposed to.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Honestly if everything didn’t look like the inside of a lava lamp I’d might enjoy it more.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 23, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dexo posted:

Yeah, this is what I meant. I don't have a problem with the way specific characters or objects are drawn, but scenes as a whole just don't look as good or work as well.

That being said, I have to give it credit for having a genuinely bizarre and unique setting.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

ata's introduction in samurai 8 feels more like itachi or orochimaru's to me than it does zabusa's. they're been going pretty fast in introducing long term stuff since he showed up

The best I can say is that it looks clean and it's easy to follow. But everyone looks like they have downs except Gaara who looks like Hitler.

It doesn't help obviously that the entire Boruto setting feels like an offbrand Naruto.
Does anyone know how Boruto is doing in popularity?

I haven't read samurai 8 yet, from the comments here I don't know if I should.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

ConanThe3rd posted:

Honestly if everything didn’t look like the inside of a lava lamp I’d might enjoy it more.

If it was all in colour I think that would help out the art a lot. It would be easier to tell what is going on in some scenes.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
So I woke up the other day and suddenly had a desire to do something anime related. Finish my Jojo Let's Read or continue writing Dragonball essays? lolno. Had the craziest urge to dust off my DVD box set of Outlaw Star and watch it again for the first time in about 15 years and I took notes on my findings. I was in my early teens when I last saw this and remember almost nothing except the boobs. So I took notes to see how those boobs held up. I ended up being pleasantly surprised by the show's aesthetic. I'll post the abbreviated version since it's been awhile since I've gone effort posting around these parts and I'm not sure if huge essays with lots of pics are still looked upon favorably. Anyhow, some of my notes:

this title card is like peak early 00s US-localized anime

these interfaces rule

This episode has had an astounding number of matte paintings. I probably was not paying any attention whatsoever to them when I first watched this as a teen. in my memory I strongly associate yellows and reds with Outlaw Star but this episode is overflowing with aesthetic matte paintings. Could just be the setting of the first episode (I know it's not the main setting of the show at large) but I am here for it.

and yes, I correctly remembered this show has boobs. now that I'm old, this color scheme has me more hot and bothered than the boobies. Something about the airbrushed style of the matte paintings def lends these scenes a very dreamlike quality.

This show's art was utterly wasted on me as a teen

I have no idea what the budget was for this show, but it seems much higher than average for a 26 episode late 90s anime. The amount of detail going above and beyond what would be strictly necessary is pretty crazy, particularly since all this stuff was still done on physical media. I captured a few highlights (no pun intended.)

When I popped the DVD in I was planning to poke fun at 90s anime cliches and wasn't expecting to be this impressed by the production values, which I was totally oblivious to as a teen. I'll probably end up rewatching the whole thing. The main blemish on it is that the localized title cards are utterly out of place stylistically among all the other transition cards in the show, which feature text with heavy brush strokes.

anyhow prepping a longer version of my notes for putting on my blog next to my JJBA let's reads, let me know if that sort of thing is still kosher around here (I don't know if I've posted in this subforum for like two years or more lol) And please also geek out with me about how dang pretty this show is. I still can't believe I forgot how strong its visual elements were.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it has a bluray release now that looks absolutely amazing

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

dogsicle posted:

it has a bluray release now that looks absolutely amazing

dang if it were available to download in HD, I'd buy it. As it is, I don't have a Blu-Ray player :saddowns: ha and yeah DVD res kinda sucks. This is what the native res looks like on my monitor

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

quote:

Does that say “3 Sizes: Dynamite”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I've always been curious about the Outlaw Star manga, but only a handful of chapters were ever translated. It seemed very different