Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

A lot of engineering went into making those not look like swastikas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is this loss.jpg?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Leperflesh posted:

do it!

and now I'm almost wanting to find all the geology nerds on SA and get a "identify my rock" ask/tell thread going or something

of course they'd mostly be better at it than me but still

This unexpectedly filthy and out-of-focus countertop is supposedly "black granite." I'm not sure if you can even tell what the hell it is between the flash, the lack of focus and the smudging.

These "rock" countertops are from one of our shadiest suppliers, so I wonder how honest they're being on this:

E: Granite
F: Granite
G: Artificial
H: Artificial
I: Quartz
J: Quartz
K: Quartz
L: Artificial
M: Granite
N: Marble
O: Granite
P: Marble
Q: Missing
R: Marble
S: Granite
T: Marble

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Not quite loss.jpg

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

slurry_curry posted:

Apparently my new kitchen will kill me and my dishes will be constantly coated in grease.

We have 30mm thick granite (black, pretty high density, around 3000kg/m3) with 28cm overhang and no supports. Several kitchen designers and installers were completely unconcerned with going to 30cm before adding supports. So far, so good.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

a fibonacci-inspired window would be dope.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Shut up Meg posted:

Good search.

So, that makes these tops 2mm thick steel. I think that while it would work perfectly fine, it would feel cheap to the touch. It would bow slighty when you pressed on it and have a slight 'cookie tin' feel and you could tell by the fingertip temperature that it's thin metal. It think you'd need to be 2-3 times thicker to get the same solid feel as granite

E: which works out slightly lighter than a similar chunk of granite - so maybe it's not a terrible choice of material

2mm steel is like, how much steel there is in a folding chair. And stainless counters are great for people who cook like a pro because you can abuse the gently caress out of it and it only really needs some hand polishing to get back to good.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

This unexpectedly filthy and out-of-focus countertop is supposedly "black granite." I'm not sure if you can even tell what the hell it is between the flash, the lack of focus and the smudging.

This countertop is made out of a greasy potato, apparently it could be anything, I can't see it for poo poo sorry lol

quote:

These "rock" countertops are from one of our shadiest suppliers, so I wonder how honest they're being on this:

E: Granite
F: Granite
G: Artificial
H: Artificial
I: Quartz
J: Quartz
K: Quartz
L: Artificial
M: Granite
N: Marble
O: Granite
P: Marble
Q: Missing
R: Marble
S: Granite
T: Marble

E: probably the same stuff we've been discussing, e.g. gabbro. Maybe.
F: Classic granite. Could be a picture out of a geology textbook with the words "typical granite" next to it.
G and H: not rock, as labeled
I, J, K: "Quartz", which means they take a wheelbarrow of ground up quartz and glue it together with epoxy or something. Not actually a slab of natural quartz.
L: more fake stuff
M: Hmmm. When I see swirly whorls I tend to think it's a metamorphic rock like marble, but the patterning here may just be interesting patterning and not that. This could be a granite or granite-adjacent natural stone.
N, P, R: yeah some kind of marble. "Marble" covers a huge amount of ground, broadly it's a metamorphic, softer rock converted from limestone by pressure and heat. If you get acid on it it should fizz, and if it doesn't, it's not marble. Could be quartzite, which would actually I think make a better countertop, being harder and not susceptable to weathering from acid, water, etc. But I'd assume if they're saying it's a marble, that's what it is.
O: Sure, granite. A lighter one with loads of feldspar and quartz, but you can see some of the other darker crystals in there too.
Q: Crappy construction, this post is now thread-relevant
S: I'm really suspicious. I want Scarodactyl to tell me he's ever seen a real granite with a swirly pattern in it. Hydrothermal intrusions and dykes don't count. If we had a close-up picture so I could see the crystals that would help a lot, but at first glance that looks like marble to me.
T: theoretically that could be marble, but it looks like an engineered stone to me. If it's really marble it's quite striking and beautiful.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 24, 2019

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Leperflesh posted:

Q: Crappy construction, this post is now thread-relevant

My entire workplace is extremely thread relevant(also thank you for the response, I'm greatly surprised even ANY of these looked like what they were labelled as.). We've got about a dozen glass sliding doors in the place, locally made, when they were building the place, they shipped the doors all the way to Hungary, yanked out the controls and motors, replaced them with Hungarian ones, shipped them back to Denmark, installed the doors and then spent about two years troubleshooting them to the point where the first year and a half the company just had a technician at the front door every morning, without even being called, because he knew he was going to be needed. The eventual solution was just rip the doors apart again and reinstall the original controls and motors, which have since worked more or less flawlessly.

The entire interior has literally no drainage. Zero floor drains. Nothing. Good loving luck if we ever have a major leak.

Speaking of, the roof leaks, and the internal drainpipes leak at the joins whenever it rains hard enough, and about half the bathrooms have their drainpipes leaning up rather than down so they don't work right.

The heating systems don't work right, and there's zero natural draft or ventilation in the summer. Climate change has made the last two summers working there real fun. By which I mean gently caress my life and we've had people passing out from heatstroke.

It's literally a 1:1 copy of a building they made in Hungary... except without taking into account that some local items(for instance toilets...) are differently dimensioned, thus leading to several doors that can only barely open and close.

And that's not even getting into the electrical work which has caused at least one permanent injury I'm aware of, and requires so many visits from a local electrician that he might as well have his own office with us. He's been maintaining the same terrible poo poo installations for ten years now.

The lifts needed for maintenance and reaching our top shelves can only barely maneuver through half the aisles. A future update to the building is going to require them narrowing all the aisles, so maintenance will be entirely impossible, rather than just kind of impossible.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

T is for confusing coke heads.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I'd be so tempted to grab some primary coloured cellophane and Mondrian these babies up.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
GABBRO IS COMING

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

canyoneer posted:

GABBRO IS COMING

...tonite?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Wasabi the J posted:

2mm steel is like, how much steel there is in a folding chair. And stainless counters are great for people who cook like a pro because you can abuse the gently caress out of it and it only really needs some hand polishing to get back to good.

Seriously, every steel countertop I’ve come across is backed(from the factory) with plywood, there is no chance of it being cheap feeling, flexing etc.

You are insane to pay for a 10mm stainless steel countertop.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'd love to know what type of granite the counter tops are (or are they even granite??) in the house I just bought in January. They didn't finish and there's nothing against the wall so it could also be considered crappy construction!

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Found the worst kitchen layout

Note the minimal electrical outlets, the stove across the room from the countertop workspace, position of the stove in the direct path of the traffic pattern, useless narrow desk/bar area, and fridge in the butler's pantry. Cooking a meal in here must be infuriating.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 25, 2019

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

There used to be a Tumblr called Kitchen Islands You Can gently caress On and this would fit perfectly there.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Youth Decay posted:

Note the minimal electrical outlets, the stove across the room from the countertop workspace, position of the stove in the direct path of the traffic pattern, useless narrow desk/bar area, and fridge in the butler's pantry. Cooking a meal in here must be infuriating.

Why do SO MANY house have a little desk/work niche in the kitchen that is ill-suited for both office work and kitchen work?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Youth Decay posted:

There used to be a Tumblr called Kitchen Islands You Can gently caress On and this would fit perfectly there.

I’ve not tried, but the glass block blows and I was told the granite was $15k throughout the kitchen/living room fireplace. They’d crack the gently caress out of it taking it down.

And lol story we had a water leak that came from sources unknown, I looked pulled out all the dishwasher, baseboards, etc. it was onto maple hardwood. It warped and went up 6” in a spot below that piano bar/loving table. Started to separate the pieces. Two plumbers later, I found it my self through a heat vent from the basement. It was a blue line reverse osmosis line that the replacement cabinet dudes before me put black electric tape crimped to shut it......versus walking to the osmosis filters and shut the saddle valve. That I promptly did.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Dienes posted:

Why do SO MANY house have a little desk/work niche in the kitchen that is ill-suited for both office work and kitchen work?

That one is on top of a radiator hidden under the counter, so it forced the counter above normal height

We took out the radiators and installed a bunch of these:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Beacon-Morris-K42-K42-Twin-Flo-III-Kick-Space-Heater

They use the same heating loop as the radiators, and when they sense the water heating up they turn on a small electric blower so that a couple tiny little units under the cabinet base can do the same work as that giant radiator.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Dienes posted:

That's where the kitchen phone was. That's where the little wife could have her little command center and keep recipes and the kid's activities organized

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Leperflesh posted:

M: Hmmm. When I see swirly whorls I tend to think it's a metamorphic rock like marble, but the patterning here may just be interesting patterning and not that. This could be a granite or granite-adjacent natural stone.
S: I'm really suspicious. I want Scarodactyl to tell me he's ever seen a real granite with a swirly pattern in it. Hydrothermal intrusions and dykes don't count. If we had a close-up picture so I could see the crystals that would help a lot, but at first glance that looks like marble to me.
My guess is gneiss on these two.
Same general composition as granite but smooshed and chemical processes concentrate darker and lighter minerals into bands. Might have started as granite and just been smooshed a bit, or as shale and gone through a ton of metamorphism to grow such big crystals.
But it could be marble too. Can't tell with any certainty.
My first geology course was on the Tuolumne suite, and I was also pretty captivated by those sphenes. My one real publication is on the hornblende crystals in the halfdome granodiorite too. I hope you really like whatever else you ended up studying because you should have majored in geology.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's a hot water tap, what do you expect?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's a hot water tap, what do you expect?

220. :colbert:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Now I want to rig up a bench power supply so that a faucet handle controls it.

Handle left increases the voltage.

Handle up increases the current limit.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

I had something similar recently. A combination of a disconnected ground (because the electricains who did my house where apparently on meth that day), and a monitor backfeeding voltage down the VGA cable resulted in 45VAC present between PC case, and well... everything! Everything metal connected to the PC was live.

I found a shorted cap inside the monitor power supply that was apparently causing a ground fault. With the missing ground circuit, it went down the VGA cable to the PC instead.

Ending up taking every outlet out and repairing the terribly crimped grounds.

And also recapping the power supply fixed the monitor.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Enjoy a cursed image on how to fool an outlet tester.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Youth Decay posted:

*pics*

I think i played this level in Overcooked 2.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

I had to look up 2mm in respect to gauge. It's less than 12. That's great, but it's not a thing that doesn't flex a lot.

Does it matter if it flexes? Probably not.....for a counter top you can support it to the point where it doesn't matter, which is likely a lot more closely supported that the 12 gauge floor of my trailer which absolutely flexes and makes big "BONG" noises as I walk across it and even louder when I drive equipment on or off of it.

Tangentially related: the heat ductwork in my house goes BONG all the time when it changes temperature. I don't even hear it anymore but it freaks guests out.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Youth Decay posted:

LOL, how old is the house? It looks like a real old house that's had a few cheap renovations.
"Our house is old and dated, but all we need to do is install an island and granite countertops and we'll be living the dream! Oh no, that just made things much worse."

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Is it wrong of me to just want to burn the whole thing down?
Just can't handle the level of GRANDMA.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

A lot of engineering went into making those not look like swastikas.

Last week, as small amusement park in the Black Forest:

Our latest attraction is ready to launch! Behold the Kraken Karussell!

Let's fire 'er up!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Krakenkreuz

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

stevewm posted:

I had something similar recently. A combination of a disconnected ground (because the electricains who did my house where apparently on meth that day), and a monitor backfeeding voltage down the VGA cable resulted in 45VAC present between PC case, and well... everything! Everything metal connected to the PC was live.

I found a shorted cap inside the monitor power supply that was apparently causing a ground fault. With the missing ground circuit, it went down the VGA cable to the PC instead.

Ending up taking every outlet out and repairing the terribly crimped grounds.

And also recapping the power supply fixed the monitor.

How do you expect them to work on hot lines if they aren’t going to piss hot too? :colbert:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

sauer kraut posted:

Last week, as small amusement park in the Black Forest:

Our latest attraction is ready to launch! Behold the Kraken Karussell!

Let's fire 'er up!

https://www.euronews.com/2019/08/20/german-amusement-park-acts-after-uproar-over-swastika-carousel

quote:

Rüdiger Braun, the owner of the Tatzmania amusement park, explained that they had spoken to the manufacturer of the carousel: "It's agreed with the manufacturer that these questionable heads will be taken back and reworked, after which it will not be four heads, but three eagles, that's how we have the problem under control."

They're going to change it from WW2 Germany to Apartheid-era South Africa

GotLag fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 25, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Also the use of military-brown eagles is perhaps not a great image. Let's hope the visible "8" is just the numbering of the pod and not written on all of them.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Just a couple of rattle cans away from peak Mondrian

E: motherfucker.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I'm just going to keep dumping the mixed aircraft paint I don't use into a bathtub and make countertops out of "fordite." It's two-part urethane epoxy.

Unfortunately it's 90% matterhorn white and 10% the most fabulous drab colors from the 80s.

there's a market for jewelry made out of fordite but i've never seen anyone selling a fordite countertop