Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

FYI, it takes a bigass compressor to pump out enough material using an hvlp or cup gun imo.

I painted a car with an HVLP and 30 gal compressor but I also had it piped into another dead 30 gal compressor for additional capacity. It couldn't keep up. It wasn't horrible, but I was definitely waiting. It would have been drat near unmanageable with just one 30 gal tank.

If I were to do this again I wouldn't without a high flow 60 gal compressor.

If what you're painting is smaller or less important to do large sections at once you may not need the bigass compressor setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I wouldn't expect to be happy spraying anything of size if your compressor is under 80 gallons

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Well it wouldn't be anything of size, mostly cabinet doors. I'll need a compressor for my new place regardless, but I think I'd be better off with an airless sprayer.

Or just brush the drat cabinets.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Spraying is faster and looks better :)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Motronic posted:

I painted a car with an HVLP and 30 gal compressor but I also had it piped into another dead 30 gal compressor for additional capacity. It couldn't keep up. It wasn't horrible, but I was definitely waiting. It would have been drat near unmanageable with just one 30 gal tank.

If I were to do this again I wouldn't without a high flow 60 gal compressor.

If what you're painting is smaller or less important to do large sections at once you may not need the bigass compressor setup.

Random thought, since you mention using a dead compressor as an extra tank: if one had an external tank, would it be feasible to take, say, two compressors and tie their outputs together to feed the one dummy tank in parallel? I feel like that'd work okay, they'd just both turn on/off at roughly the same time and you'd get about twice the CFM out of the whole system? Or is there some fundamental flaw that would prevent this from working at all?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My compressor is 6 gallons soooo...

Might still use it when it's time to do cabinets, but I'll stick with a roller for the walls.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I wouldn't expect to be happy spraying anything of size if your compressor is under 80 gallons

Remember that tank size isn't going to help unless it's a small project. You'll be waiting forever for it to fill, then have to deal with the noise (and wear) of it running nonstop, making hot, moist air. IMHO, you need 5hp and 60+ gallons, plus the capability to condense/cool the air.

::edit:: that's what I get for going to lunch with the reply open. A 6 gallon (unless it's a DIY setup with a big compressor/motor) isn't going to spray anything.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Random thought, since you mention using a dead compressor as an extra tank: if one had an external tank, would it be feasible to take, say, two compressors and tie their outputs together to feed the one dummy tank in parallel? I feel like that'd work okay, they'd just both turn on/off at roughly the same time and you'd get about twice the CFM out of the whole system? Or is there some fundamental flaw that would prevent this from working at all?

If they are set around the same pressure I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Motronic posted:

If they are set around the same pressure I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Or even if they weren't set at the same pressure, say one is at 100 and the other is at 50, then if you were doing light use, just the higher one would kick on most of the time, but if you were doing more and the pressure dipped too low, the backup unit would come on.

Hmm. This may actually be something I do in my shop. I have a bigger compressor, but it's loud AF and I've been thinking about getting one of those sweet little California Air super quiet deals. It'd be pretty nifty to have the whole thing quiet most of the time but if I was ever going nuts, the Big Boy would kick in and keep me running no matter what.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

For large projects you really do need a compressor that can keep up with the CFM requirements of the the gun so you don’t get lap marks etc. Smaller stuff it’s not usually a problem to let the compressor charge after every door or whatever. The vacuum turbine stuff has come a long way but are $$$$ and to get one with finish quality and control comparable to a mediocre air gun, you could buy a big compressor and a nice gun.

That being said, I haven’t found HVLP/compressed air guns to be very useful for spraying house paint. Even with a big ole tip (for which you need a whooooole lot more air btw) they just can’t effectively atomize the thicker viscosity/high solids of a house paint and give a very rough, orangepeely finish. They’re designed to spray relatively thin solvent based finishes and industrial enamels but not paint houses. A very high solids clear lacquer is ~30% solids by weight where latex paint might be 50%-it’s asking the gun to do a lot more work that most aren’t really designed for. The extra pigment and grit in paint are also harder on the internals of the gun if you don’t keep it immaculate. Get an airless graco kind of sprayer for that because it’s what they’re designed to do.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I would think at that point if you're going deep into the bigger compressor and running the California one non-stop, I'd shut the small one off just to avoid murdering it.

And yeah, tank size helps, but isn't a solution for a compressor head that just can't move a huge amount of air. My current Kobalt 26-gallon is way nicer to use than my old 5-gallon was, but once that tank is nearly empty you just have to wait.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I must be missing something on the paint sprayer stuff. I used an air-powered paint sprayer to do my workshop (~80 linear feet of wall), powered by a Porter-Cable pancake compressor, and I don't remember having significant issues. I mean, I probably had to stop occasionally to let the compressor recharge, but it was still way faster, and much higher quality of paint application, than me painting by hand would've been. There's a few places where I laid it on a bit too thick and got some drips, but otherwise it's been about five years now and the paint's still in great shape.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
I'd imagine you would quickly exceed the duty cycle of an oil-less compressor by doubling the tank size since they arent designed to run continuous. An oiled compressor head with the proper cooling would probably be fine.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

iForge posted:

I'd imagine you would quickly exceed the duty cycle of an oil-less compressor by doubling the tank size since they arent designed to run continuous. An oiled compressor head with the proper cooling would probably be fine.
I connected a little 8 gal California Air compressor to like 40 gallons of more tank and I haven't killed it yet :shrug:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It’d run longer when it does, but it’d cycle less often. I don’t think any compressor that isn’t literal trash would be affected by the slightly longer run time per cycle. That would be some insanely finely tuned failure engineering there.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Bad Munki posted:

It’d run longer when it does, but it’d cycle less often. I don’t think any compressor that isn’t literal trash would be affected by the slightly longer run time per cycle. That would be some insanely finely tuned failure engineering there.

I ran my Harbor Freight 11 gallon compressor with a leak for about a year before fixing the leak. It just ran the compressor the whole time it was on but never gave me problems :downs:

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Bad Munki posted:

I guess it all comes down to how much you're using it. If you think manufacturers of home grade tools are making them any more robust than is needed to get them out of warranty liabilities then just LOL, and double (or more) the runtime for double the size tank isnt really slight. Used 80+ gallon compressors can be had here for less than a cheap new one half that size quite often. Just keep an eye out on your local craigslist/gumtree/whatever

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

iForge posted:

I guess it all comes down to how much you're using it. If you think manufacturers of home grade tools are making them any more robust than is needed to get them out of warranty liabilities then just LOL, and double (or more) the runtime for double the size tank isnt really slight. Used 80+ gallon compressors can be had here for less than a cheap new one half that size quite often. Just keep an eye out on your local craigslist/gumtree/whatever

But it’s not double the runtime, it’s just double the runtime per cycle. The cycles happen half as often. If your compressor overheats and dies because you ran it for two minutes instead of one, it wasn’t going to last even six months anyhow.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

But it’s not double the runtime, it’s just double the runtime per cycle. The cycles happen half as often. If your compressor overheats and dies because you ran it for two minutes instead of one, it wasn’t going to last even six months anyhow.

Eh.....maybe.

A lot of oilless ones appear to be quite poorly cooled and kinda rely on a short duty cycle.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

If the duty cycle is say 20%, then your max runtime is 12 minutes on and 48 minutes off per run cycle. Now if you start running it for 24 minutes per on cycle, it still is getting twice the run time it is designed for in between cool downs. It isn't a matter of total hours of run= lifetime of the tool, it is total minutes of runtime it is designed for per cycle. Duty cycle is used for many different pieces of equipment. Air compressors and welders are the first two that come to my mind. A tool with a 100% duty cycle is designed for continuous runtime. A tool with a 50% duty cycle is designed for 30 minutes on then 30 minutes off. You are putting the tool through more heat stress than it is designed for in between cool downs You are more than welcome to do this, but my recommendation to buy a better compressor that is designed for your needs still stands as the better option. HTH

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
What happened to disemboweling refrigerators to make compressors and/or vacuum pumps?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DreadLlama posted:

What happened to disemboweling refrigerators to make compressors and/or vacuum pumps?

China

Now you get a better result for less by just buying what you want outright.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Speaking of warranty, I kinda wonder why air compressors and arc welders don't have some kind of duty cycle meter on them. Guess it's probably easier to be permissive with warranty claims.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Most welders have a thermal cutoff, at least I think they do.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Most welders have a thermal cutoff, at least I think they do.

Most small ones I've used do - but that cutoff is WAY past where you want to be using them if you give a poo poo about your welds.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Picked up one of those worm drive Skil saws that went on sale for $120 at Home Depot, man that thing is a beast. Serious lifestyle change having the blade on the left side.

Also, am I crazy or is this significantly quieter than a regular sidewinder? I guess maybe the metal housing dampens the noise a lot better as well as lower rpms, *shrug* I'll take it, my other circular saw was obnoxiously loud.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Any thoughts on Shopsmith machines? Do they just allow you to do several things poorly, or are they actually good? I see older ones on Craigslist in the $200-300 range.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Organic Lube User posted:

Any thoughts on Shopsmith machines? Do they just allow you to do several things poorly, or are they actually good? I see older ones on Craigslist in the $200-300 range.

The concept is good in theory if you're working out of a closet. But the setup and change over time to do a project gets mind numbing, and they're just not all that good; at least according to the couple or 3 friends I had that took that plunge. Small sample size, yet.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I bought a battery powered husqvarna chainsaw a little while back, for brush trimming.

Really put it to the test today:

All walnut. Now, I can’t claim that little electric did all this alone: we had a few saws on site and for the big 18” diameter logs on the bottom of the pile, I had to break out the 24” husqy rancher that hails straight out of 1980 (no brake!) but for anything around 12” or less, the electric did great. It didn’t melt through those big ones but it just kept choochin along with no real trouble. A+ no regrets, once my batteries are charged up and my chains are sharp again, I’ll be going back with just the electric for a bunch of firewood.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I have a buddy who swears by his, but also works out of a closet and admits it's not optimal other than for the space.

Bad Munki posted:

I bought a battery powered husqvarna chainsaw a little while back, for brush trimming.

Really put it to the test today:

Very interesting. My small saw is dead and was a cheap home depot thing that I can't get parts for and wouldn't be worth fixing anyway. What you bought might be the bigger than a sawzall smaller than...

...the beast that was given to me with a cracked block that I rebuilt (and over bored) our of ebay parts.

It would be awesome if it could double as a climbing saw.

Which model did you end up with?

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 26, 2019

coathat
May 21, 2007

Organic Lube User posted:

I like mine. I’ve never used it as a table saw and probably wouldn’t unless I was forced to, but it’s an ok lathe if you’re turning spindles, a decent drill press (not slow enough to do thick or hard steel), you can easily drill horizontally which can be pretty handy. And it’s hands down the best 12 inch disc sander you can buy.

It might not be the perfect all in one shop like it was intended to be but it’s a great accessory machine, especially if you get one in decent shape for a good price.

coathat fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 26, 2019

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It’d be tits as a climbing saw. Not having to start it is super nice, just squeeze ‘n go. It’ll limb stuff all day long, or top most anything you need to. Real nice and light, too, and it sips chain oil.

I got the 120i, not sure what other husqy options there are. Funny thing is, the real reason I ended up in this battery ecosystem is because lowes had the matching hedge trimmer for sale loose. Not a display, just...loose. No battery, charger, etc. and it was product changeup season and they were clearing house. Had a tag on it that nobody could parse, so I had them ring it up at the register and it came up as $10. It’s a 115iHD55.

That’s a 22” bar. Usually $200.

So anyhow that got me in their game. Then I bought the weed trimmer in the hopes that my wife would drive it, which she 100% does, I haven’t had to weed whack ever since. After that, the chainsaw just made sense on paper, and it worked out great in practice.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

It’d be tits as a climbing saw. Not having to start it is super nice, just squeeze ‘n go. It’ll limb stuff all day long, or top most anything you need to. Real nice and light, too, and it sips chain oil.

I got the 120i, not sure what other husqy options there are. Funny thing is, the real reason I ended up in this battery ecosystem is because lowes had the matching hedge trimmer for sale loose. Not a display, just...loose. No battery, charger, etc. and it was product changeup season and they were clearing house. Had a tag on it that nobody could parse, so I had them ring it up at the register and it came up as $10. It’s a 115iHD55.

That’s a 22” bar. Usually $200.

So anyhow that got me in their game. Then I bought the weed trimmer in the hopes that my wife would drive it, which she 100% does, I haven’t had to weed whack ever since. After that, the chainsaw just made sense on paper, and it worked out great in practice.

That is absolutely the right price but not my battery ecosystem - I'm DeWalt. It looks like they have some but I don't know anyone who's got one and honestly a small saw is so out of my normal workflow I'm not sure it matters if I have a weird charger and battery for that one thing as long as it works well the few times I need it.

Tagnik
Nov 6, 2009
Not sure where to post this so I'll ask here. If you have imagined up your own hand tool is there a company anyone had used or know of that can forge it for you?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Tagnik posted:

Not sure where to post this so I'll ask here. If you have imagined up your own hand tool is there a company anyone had used or know of that can forge it for you?

What does your tool do?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Motronic posted:

That is absolutely the right price but not my battery ecosystem - I'm DeWalt. It looks like they have some but I don't know anyone who's got one and honestly a small saw is so out of my normal workflow I'm not sure it matters if I have a weird charger and battery for that one thing as long as it works well the few times I need it.

I've got one and it's a great little saw. I haven't had any issues but generally the largest trunks I'm dealing with is about 12".

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What does your tool do?

I can't tell you, but I know it's mine

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Tagnik posted:

Do you have any formal drawings or anything yet?

There are plenty of fabrication vendors out there if you've got design files. There are some that will generate the design files from your napkin sketch but they'll cost more.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Chainsaw chat again: anybody have recommended ripping chains? Looking for a 3/8" .050 gauge 84 dl option for my 24" bar rancher. I'd really like something with carbide teeth, welded not coated, but it sounds like if I want to do that, I'm likely to have to buy a bulk reel, which means other tools as well. This'll be for slabbing hardwoods like oak, walnut, and maple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I need a new drill press because my old powermatic 1150 was much abused in a past life and vibrates like hell and needs rebuilding and I can’t get parts for it and it has bad ergonomics anyway.

I’ve been looking at this Grizzly https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-20-Floor-Drill-Press/G7948
and it seems fine and they’re having a sale, but I seem to remember someone here having problems with a Shop Fox drill press? Any other brands I should be looking at? My requirements are more than 4” of spindle travel, 20” swing would be nice, and a depth stop that doesn’t come loose even if you tighten the poo poo out of the jamb nuts.