Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Oh. You haven't seen the sequel, then, The Last Angel: Ascension. Link should be in the OP's sig or profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Oh. You haven't seen the sequel, then, The Last Angel: Ascension. Link should be in the OP's sig or profile.

oh so is the first story in that one thread finished? i've been devouring it but slowed down because i thought it was unfinished but i'll pick it back up if the first selfcontained story is done

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

oh so is the first story in that one thread finished? i've been devouring it but slowed down because i thought it was unfinished but i'll pick it back up if the first selfcontained story is done
It's finished, has an epilogue and everything so it isn't just stopped at a random point, but it definitely sets up for the sequel IIRC. The author started a new thread for the sequel, and probably will for the next volume when the sequel ends, which feels closer and closer.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

I mean, science-fantasy is a cool and relatively uncommon genre that I think is cool when it tries to go maximum weird.

I agree in principle, but my problem was that there wasn't enough of normal to be a foil to the weird. No baseline. Just rapid fire word salad. Imagine trying to decipher a new techno babble word salad every few pages, that's ninefox gambit.

I hear the audiobook is worse.

Maybe it'd be better in a visual medium, to ground the concepts in some way. As it stands, it's loving awful, imo.

I had a similar reaction to Kameron Hurley's The Stars Are Legion. The build up of mystery fails for me if the author just builds up the mystery without any satisfactory resolution, whether if it's because the prose is full of lovely technobabble or full of unreliable narrators on an amnesia plot made to be incomprehensible for the sake of it. On the other hand, I enjoyed Hurley's Light Brigade because the mystery was set better. Another unreliable narrator amnesia mystery sci fi book was Six Wakes by Mur Lafferty, so it's not the theme for me that stands out.

Anyway, I started reading into the mire. After reading TWI, it's feels so short its funny.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Musluk posted:

Anyway, I started reading into the mire. After reading TWI, it's feels so short its funny.

Yeah TWI has spoiled me for how much writing to expect per week, to the point that I want to let He Who Fights With Monsters accumulate for like a week at a time to get the same amount (or less?) of writing.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Thanks for pointing out the sequel.
That Scifi book is surprisingly good for me, a dude who mostly doesn't like scifi. The premise is good, and I'm getting some damned solid loving System shock 2 vibes from the first arc (just started arc 2).

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The new TWI chapter is 30k words jesus christ.

“Then was his hair silvery and grey and did he have two swords? Did he say anything about a [Witcher]?”

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
aba stands for "another book, another"

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
She puts together more words in a week than I could type out if I had what I wanted to say memorized by heart; she might be one of those people who memorized their favorite book series as an old person in 2090 then died and got reborn at the beginning of their lifespan and decided to steal the fame for themselves.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Larry Parrish posted:

The new TWI chapter is 30k words jesus christ.

“Then was his hair silvery and grey and did he have two swords? Did he say anything about a [Witcher]?”

I'm assuming it doesn't have 25-50% of a novel's worth of content in it?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I'm assuming it doesn't have 25-50% of a novel's worth of content in it?

lmao you're so fuckin petty

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lone Goat posted:

lmao you're so fuckin petty

Using 30 thousand words to tell a fraction of the story isn't exactly good

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

It's not one of those books where 70% of it is just descriptions of poo poo, if that's what you're thinking. Characters talk and do things within that space, and even when it's not necessary, it's at least funny or charming. Much like an episode of a TV show, it may not move the larger story forward a whole lot, but it tells its own smaller story, and is fun to read while you're reading it.

Argue fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 28, 2019

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Burkion posted:

It is for me. I enjoy wandering inn's story enough that having a ton of words to go through just gives me more content with more detail. The more I have to read, the better. Stuff IS actually happening in all of those words, it's not just word salad. With shorter stories/chapters, even if they're getting their point across more succinctly, I burn through it too fast and end up unsatisfied.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I too like it when a movie is five hours long rather than two or when a TV show is thirty seasons rather than three. More words is just better; it means I spend more of my time reading the words, and that means I am distracted from this cruel world for a longer period of time.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

I too like it when a movie is five hours long rather than two or when a TV show is thirty seasons rather than three. More words is just better; it means I spend more of my time reading the words, and that means I am distracted from this cruel world for a longer period of time.

I too am afraid of words and must consume literature through twitter or even better, a 5 second vine clip

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Burkion posted:

the thirty thousand words is telling a story and they're good words, not seeing what the problem is (except that the author's hands are gonna fall off)

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Musluk posted:

I too am afraid of words and must consume literature through twitter or even better, a 5 second vine clip

My pet peeve is looking up information on a game and being given a youtube link.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

like imagine being someone that writes 30000 boring words (or however many chapters i read before i gave up on their book) and then getting mad that someone does that twice a week and they're actually good

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Lone Goat posted:

like imagine being someone that writes 30000 boring words (or however many chapters i read before i gave up on their book) and then getting mad that someone does that twice a week and they're actually good

But enough about Terry Goodkind...

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Lone Goat posted:

Wow, don't say that about Burkion.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
TWI is essentially a slice of life novel series masquerading as a LitRPG web serial. It has a plot, which moves glacially slow, but mostly because theres no time skips what so ever. Theres flash backs sometimes but the overall plot advanced one day at a time. I dont think the story has even covered a full year yet. It's like asking where the plot development in the Union Station series is. The whole point is the characters and their interactions, not the world at large.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
for the record, pirateaba wrote 50k words from saturday to tuesday

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
The Wandering Inn is of the exact same quality as any of the 1000+ chapter Xianxia web novels except it's written in English

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

This is just a hypothesis guys but I suspect that Sampatrick really doesn't like The Wandering Inn

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
It would probably be better if pirateaba spent less time writing words and more time removing and editing words, but it meets my high* standards** as a source of walls of text to cram into my eyes a couple of times a week. I probably wouldn't be reading it if it had started out with chapters this long, though. I looked at some stats and it really started getting chunkier in book 5 - it started out long, but not regularly novella-length.

It's like crab-boiling.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Sampatrick posted:

The Wandering Inn is of the exact same quality as any of the 1000+ chapter Xianxia web novels except it's written in English

...so I would straight-up read a TWI that was just literal xianxia. Like, Erin mopping every day for 100 days before she gets angry, slams her mop down, and is surprised when her muscles and tendons, made strong and flexible by the exercise, are enough to easily drive the mop through the floorboards. Then a daoist sage steps out from behind the cabinet and is like "The jade kobold of the west glides between the clouds."

Then Pirateaba writes another horrible bestiality chapter, and I stop reading (again).

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

not sure that you "get" twi

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Omi no Kami posted:

...so I would straight-up read a TWI that was just literal xianxia. Like, Erin mopping every day for 100 days before she gets angry, slams her mop down, and is surprised when her muscles and tendons, made strong and flexible by the exercise, are enough to easily drive the mop through the floorboards. Then a daoist sage steps out from behind the cabinet and is like "The jade kobold of the west glides between the clouds."

Then Pirateaba writes another horrible bestiality chapter, and I stop reading (again).

I wish that Forge of Destiny got even a significant fraction of TWI's Patreon money. I'm hoping that over time, as more content is added to Royalroad, that changes. I get the appeal of TWI (a native English isekai thing that isn't terribly written) but something about it makes it impossible for me to forget "this is being written by a person." Like obviously that's true of all fiction, but I think part of being a good writer is being able to make the reader forget that.

In TWI's case, I constantly get a "fan-fiction" sorta feeling (though what I'm talking about can be pretty common in actual published writing as well, and a lot of fanfiction doesn't include this). Stuff is constantly happening that gives me the feeling of something fans of a show might say "oh, wouldn't it be cool or funny if _____ did X or said Y?!" about. Lines or events that feel like the author is directly trying to make something "fan-pleasing" rather than something that is necessarily consistent with the characters and setting. It's a bit hard to explain, because I'm talking about something distinct from just "being entertaining/interesting" (which is entirely possibly without doing this). Something about it just takes me out of things and makes it hard for me to immerse myself in the plot/setting.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I wish that Forge of Destiny got even a significant fraction of TWI's Patreon money. I'm hoping that over time, as more content is added to Royalroad, that changes. I get the appeal of TWI (a native English isekai thing that isn't terribly written) but something about it makes it impossible for me to forget "this is being written by a person." Like obviously that's true of all fiction, but I think part of being a good writer is being able to make the reader forget that.

In TWI's case, I constantly get a "fan-fiction" sorta feeling (though what I'm talking about can be pretty common in actual published writing as well, and a lot of fanfiction doesn't include this). Stuff is constantly happening that gives me the feeling of something fans of a show might say "oh, wouldn't it be cool or funny if _____ did X or said Y?!" about. Lines or events that feel like the author is directly trying to make something "fan-pleasing" rather than something that is necessarily consistent with the characters and setting. It's a bit hard to explain, because I'm talking about something distinct from just "being entertaining/interesting" (which is entirely possibly without doing this). Something about it just takes me out of things and makes it hard for me to immerse myself in the plot/setting.

Honestly I enjoy Twi drawing so heavily from the authors personal experiences.

I time that it grounds what is otherwise I ridiculously fantastic narrative

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Jesus Pirateaba is making $9000 a month off of Patreon these days. I think the whole “read 1 chapter ahead” thing as a marketing strategy has really paid off for her. I know that’s the only reason I’m a patron.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
The author of Randidly Ghosthound is getting 6.5k a month for advance chapters

Advance chapters are just free money for any popular web serial. Imagine how much PGtE would make from it, or Wildbow, or any of the other big ones

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Compared to fuckfaces like Diaz I'm ok with authors getting paid All The Money

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Out of the 6-7 Web Serials I have read, TWI has been my favorite by far. The only one I grew to hate was Worm. I eventually just stopped reading it near the end.
But I love TWI's characters, which is the most important part of the story. Most other serials will just go 'Okay, time skip to the next part where stuff happens', which makes it feel fake.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Twig is the gold standard for web serials imo. It's much better than everything else by Wildbow and has a more coherent narrative than just about any other web serial.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

Honestly I enjoy Twi drawing so heavily from the authors personal experiences.

I time that it grounds what is otherwise I ridiculously fantastic narrative

That's not really what I mean. It's hard to explain but it feels sorta like the author likes their characters too much and is constantly trying to make them say/do things that are pleasing to the audience in a way directly appealing to "young Western nerd sensibilities."

In general, the characters just feel "flat" to me. It's hard to point to any specific reason why, but it's just a general sense that I get (and it applies to a lot of YA/fantasy writing, to be fair).

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peachfart posted:

Out of the 6-7 Web Serials I have read, TWI has been my favorite by far. The only one I grew to hate was Worm. I eventually just stopped reading it near the end.
But I love TWI's characters, which is the most important part of the story. Most other serials will just go 'Okay, time skip to the next part where stuff happens', which makes it feel fake.

wildbow isnt a terrible author or anything but they appear to be completely incapable of immersing themselves in the viewpoint of anyone besides middle class white person, which as a poor hispanic is incredibly annoying. like the people who get attention in our culture are mostly middle class whites, so im used to it. it just feels so weird that every criminal character is either completely, comic book villain insane or is into crime the same way people are into collecting stamps. like its a hobby or they just like to dress weird or something

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

That's not really what I mean. It's hard to explain but it feels sorta like the author likes their characters too much and is constantly trying to make them say/do things that are pleasing to the audience in a way directly appealing to "young Western nerd sensibilities."

In general, the characters just feel "flat" to me. It's hard to point to any specific reason why, but it's just a general sense that I get (and it applies to a lot of YA/fantasy writing, to be fair).

erin i'll agree is way way too perfect, but ryoka has been fantastic recently, and a bunch of the natives to the world are well constructed

but obv this is a major ymmv sort of thing

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

erin i'll agree is way way too perfect, but ryoka has been fantastic recently, and a bunch of the natives to the world are well constructed

but obv this is a major ymmv sort of thing

Erin getting completely owned and informed 'special snowflakes' are not rare in the bigger cities was amazing. Her sulking afterwards was even more enjoyable.

Muscle Wizard is the best wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it was a nice reminder that the places we've seen the most of, Celum and Liscor, are podunk frontier towns that are basically overgrown villages compared to everywhere else