Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I'm sick and tired of this thread taking the cheap and easy way out. Bronze cast that mothafucka into one solid table.

Tom offered brazenly...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pimblor posted:

I considered most of these but discarded them because it's a dumb table leg and I just wanted to move on with life. :( Except the laser scanning bit cause that's silly, I could model that leg in fusion in like 10 minutes.

edit: it'd take 10 minutes cause I'm not a very smart man
edit2: please no one tell the metal working thread i was here

you could model the leg in fusion, but laser scanning will capture the fact that the original wasn't 100% correctly made, and also the little dents and dings and imperfections, surely you want to reproduce those too?

e. if you just want to get on with life, the Red Green approach is always available. There's nothing you can't stick back together, given an unlimited quantity of duck tape

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Pimblor posted:

edit2: please no one tell the metal working thread i was here

we see and we judge and we remember

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Alert the metalwork thread one as strayed to the ways of the carbohydrate foam.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

One of us. One of usss

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

cellulose cell u lose

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

you could model the leg in fusion, but laser scanning will capture the fact that the original wasn't 100% correctly made, and also the little dents and dings and imperfections, surely you want to reproduce those too?

e. if you just want to get on with life, the Red Green approach is always available. There's nothing you can't stick back together, given an unlimited quantity of duck tape

now that i think of it i do know a guy that works with super precise laser scanners...

also wouldn't hockey stick tape be more apropriate

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Crossposting from tools:

Anybody have recommended ripping chains? Looking for a 3/8" .050 gauge 84 dl option for my 24" bar rancher. I'd really like something with carbide teeth, welded not coated, but it sounds like if I want to do that, I'm likely to have to buy a bulk reel, which means other tools as well. This'll be for slabbing hardwoods like oak, walnut, and maple.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

crossposting from house stuff because i did some woodworking and also don't know what i'm doing:

Bloody posted:

okay so we've been working on our home renovation forever and this past weekend started working on the new access hole for the attic space. here's the hole:

current plan is to have a 5-sided box plug filled with insulation that you can just... shove... into the attic to get in. here's the box plug in its current state:

my original plan was to mount this frame to the ceiling around the hole. it's a 22x22" opening, the hole is 24x24", so it has a 1" lip all around. i was going to drive wood screws around the perimeter into the framing above. the plug would then rest on the frame and be flush with the rest of the ceiling

last night several things occurred to me:
* why did i screw the drywall to the plywood box base from the front instead of the back? fortunately i have enough drywall scrap to replace this piece and screw it from the back so there's no screw heads to deal with on the visible face
* maybe i should build a frame around the interior edge of the base of the hole? like 3/4" strips around the base of the hole and then don't have the drywall sheet go flush to the edges of the plug so that the plug is supported by the 3/4" strips that can be screwed into the framing perpendicular to the load force instead of the trim frame
* if i do that, then i could screw the trim frame into these strips from the back and hide their fastening while i'm at it too

alternatively, are there any decent hardware options that i could use to allow the plug to drop down out of the hole instead of having to push it up? it passes upwards cleanly but it's pretty heavy. im thinking like either some kinda long pieces of metal that can be rotated from the drywall face to hang it from the attic floor or maybe some kinda latching mechanism on the bottom? I've got 1/8" all around on the face sheet and more like 3/8" clearance from the box sides to the framing. this would create separate issues for the framing but i'm not opposed to coming up with a way for that to be removable with visible hardware - perhaps hinges on one edge and a latch on another

so i guess there's a few questions buried in here:
* can this trim frame support the plug safely or should I frame in the base of the hole opening for support and let the trim serve as trim
* is there any clever hardware bits that i can use so that i can have the plug drop out of the ceiling instead of having to push it up into the attic for access

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My home growing up had that same hole in the ceiling, and it had no insulation or frame in the plug. They just treated the plug like a piece of drop ceiling, as in literally just the drywall square sitting on the lip of the frame. So unless you're living in the tundra, you might be way over engineering/over thinking this phase of your project.

You're probably not going to lose an appreciable amount of heat through it, and unless you placed your attic access right over your bed or couch or something, you'd never notice a cold spot there. And with just a 2x2 piece of drywall, you don't have to hyper-engineer your frame to hold up under weight. Two finish nails in each side would do the job (so long as you didn't try to put your bodyweight on it, but at least that would be a mistake you could minimize by making your lip even smaller, like a half inch on each side, which you can get away with since that lip is supporting basically no weight with just drywall).

Huxley fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 27, 2019

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I live in Iowa and have the “just a piece of drywall” attic access in my closet. In the winter, it’s loving ice in there, and in the summer, it’s a sauna. You’d be surprised the difference it can make.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I could see a closet being that way, for sure. My house in southern Virginia had it in the hallway with the bedrooms, which was both very open and not a spot you tended to linger, and I never noticed it being any different than the rest of the house.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Bad Munki posted:

I live in Iowa and have the “just a piece of drywall” attic access in my closet. In the winter, it’s loving ice in there, and in the summer, it’s a sauna. You’d be surprised the difference it can make.

Same, but in Texas. I have a attic hatch in my master closet that is just a piece of drywall or maybe plywood with drywall screwed to it. It is not well air sealed and the closet is really hot and musty in the summer and cold in the winter.

I need to put in a proper ladder + hatch and do some sort of cap or air sealing around the hatch. (And eventually add an addition HVAC duct to the closet.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Huxley posted:

I could see a closet being that way, for sure. My house in southern Virginia had it in the hallway with the bedrooms, which was both very open and not a spot you tended to linger, and I never noticed it being any different than the rest of the house.

It’s still the same rate of energy loss, you’re just dispersing it through the house in that case. Which means you’re still paying to fight the poor insulation at that spot. It’d be akin to having one single pane window in your living room. The hvac will compensate, sure, but compensation costs dollars. And while a window would be expensive to improve, a leaky attic door is not.

What I’m saying is, I have no excuse for not getting off my rear end and fixing mine. :/

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It seems like a good place for foam board. Light and cheap and don't make as giant a mess as fiberglass would with repeated movings.

OP you could probably just screw some drywall to a sheet of foam board and then screw as many more sheets of foam board as you wanted to that and be good to go. Some wood around the edges/face of the drywall would help it hold up better, but a couple coats of paint also will toughen up the exposed edges of drywall a bit.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

They actually make prefab panels for exactly this scenario. They have a few layers of insulation on the back, a stronger body than just drywall, and are ready for paint to match whatever.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I'm kicking around an idea for a cross forum challenge. Over the way too many years I've been a member here there have been some really interesting and weird contests. I can't remember any of them but I know I liked lurking some for at least a few minutes. I've been making my own pasta a lot lately and several of the more interesting recipes call for unique tools to make the shapes that I don't have but would be easy to make. I'm thinking a GWS/DIY crossover make your own pasta tool and then your own pasta challenge.. what do ya'll think? There are some prettttty decent cooks over there but we're uniquely stupid ourselves over here, seems even. Regardless I'm going to be eating pasta so I'm good being the only village idiot, again. Yay/nay?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Are you talking about gnocchi boards, rolling pins, or drying racks? Or something even crazier? I might be interested in trying something.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm kicking around an idea for a cross forum challenge. Over the way too many years I've been a member here there have been some really interesting and weird contests. I can't remember any of them but I know I liked lurking some for at least a few minutes. I've been making my own pasta a lot lately and several of the more interesting recipes call for unique tools to make the shapes that I don't have but would be easy to make. I'm thinking a GWS/DIY crossover make your own pasta tool and then your own pasta challenge.. what do ya'll think? There are some prettttty decent cooks over there but we're uniquely stupid ourselves over here, seems even. Regardless I'm going to be eating pasta so I'm good being the only village idiot, again. Yay/nay?

Get those slatflippers from the metalworking thread in on it too so we can laugh at their pathetic attempts.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
By this old tony’s lathe what in the wide world of sports is a slatflipper?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Pimblor posted:

Kind of a joke thing that popped up a couple months back itt to gently caress with people.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Pimblor posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2819334&pagenumber=604&perpage=40#post495922491

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Only a deranged creature would flip their slats.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

Only a deranged creature would flip their slats.

:hmmyes:

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
Ahh. An egregious stroke.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

This is a great idea!
The knitters can make potholders or aprons or w/e and the cosplayers can make chef boyardee costumes or wear their Mario and Luigi outfits.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This is a great idea!
The knitters can make potholders or aprons or w/e and the cosplayers can make chef boyardee costumes or wear their Mario and Luigi outfits.

Great now I need all new ideas!!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Definitely create a thread if you want, but I'll also mention that I've created a general chat thread to hopefully foster some more cross pollination between the DIY subcommunities, so feel free to discuss it there too :)

Lemme know if you need any mod help.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

Definitely create a thread if you want, but I'll also mention that I've created a general chat thread to hopefully foster some more cross pollination between the DIY subcommunities, so feel free to discuss it there too :)

Lemme know if you need any mod help.

You're a mod!? I definitely realized that before just now. I have no skin in the game I just want to make and see weird cool poo poo so if you or anyone else wants to take the lead and make an OP do it and link it here. I dont care about forums cred. Otherwise I'll figure something out in a few days

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I'm looking at used band saws for cutting out spoon blanks for carving, with an eye towards possibly getting a lathe and using the saw for bowl blanks as well. For that use, is there anything that really separates one cheap ($75-100) bandsaw from another? What should I be looking for?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Baronash posted:

I'm looking at used band saws for cutting out spoon blanks for carving, with an eye towards possibly getting a lathe and using the saw for bowl blanks as well. For that use, is there anything that really separates one cheap ($75-100) bandsaw from another? What should I be looking for?

Both Rikon and Jet make decent bench top models. I wouldn't go less than 1.5hp on the motor and bolt it down to a bench or weighted stand. Biggest thing I hear is people knocking them over pushing material through.

When you say for bowl blanks are you talking about cutting cookies/logs or taking square bowl blanks and rounding them? You can rough a square piece to round on the lathe if the latter. I wouldn't really want to push a 4"+ piece through a bench top but thats me.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This is a great idea!

lmao.

Baronash posted:

Used tools off the Cave of Craigslist can be your best value, but cave emptor because there's proto-goons out there. Formless cretures.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'd be into making a pasta roller but I'm too lazy to make pasta from scratch but the general idea of let's make custom kitchen implements is awesome, maybe go with that more general plan and more people might participate?

Also deffo include the metalworkers, maybe the 3d printer nerds too, and we should promote the thread in GWS as well as here, yup.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Open sauce

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Leperflesh posted:

I'd be into making a pasta roller but I'm too lazy to make pasta from scratch but the general idea of let's make custom kitchen implements is awesome, maybe go with that more general plan and more people might participate?

Also deffo include the metalworkers, maybe the 3d printer nerds too, and we should promote the thread in GWS as well as here, yup.
The metalworking thread will put us all to shame when Ambrose burnsides et al machine their own dies for stamping, filling, and shaping tortellini by the thousand and then boil it in pots they cast out of beer cans in their backyard this morning.

Also making pasta from scratch is easy and cheap and delicious and you should try!

shovelbum posted:

Open sauce

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Agreed and I encourage you try it some time. I enjoy it a lot

shovelbum posted:

Open sauce

This should be the thread title whenever it gets made though

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The metalworking thread will put us all to shame when Ambrose burnsides et al machine their own dies for stamping, filling, and shaping tortellini by the thousand and then boil it in pots they cast out of beer cans in their backyard this morning.

*not pictured, mass chemical poisoning of consumers by machine / cutting oil ingestion.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Also making pasta from scratch is easy and cheap and delicious and you should try!

My wife's dad makes his own pasta and it's good and stuff, and it's good, but in terms of where my cooking focus is it's not my thing.

however I do need a new like, rack to put knives on using magnets, but which won't scar up the knives from the magnets, and also won't drop the knives and be a giant dangerous hazard

also I was thinking of making one of those bottle openers from Nick Offerman's book Good Clean Fun

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

You're a mod!? I definitely realized that before just now.

It helps that there's almost nothing to do in DIY, everyone's good folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Leperflesh posted:

My wife's dad makes his own pasta and it's good and stuff, and it's good, but in terms of where my cooking focus is it's not my thing.

however I do need a new like, rack to put knives on using magnets, but which won't scar up the knives from the magnets, and also won't drop the knives and be a giant dangerous hazard

You mean........like these?

Sometimes I prefer to hunt down what I want than build it from scratch.