Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mr. Mambold posted:

You mean........like these?

Sometimes I prefer to hunt down what I want than build it from scratch.
What's the penny for? Please don't say my thoughts, I don't want to rip anyone off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

You mean........like these?

Sometimes I prefer to hunt down what I want than build it from scratch.

Wellll, not exactly? I don't want the magnet to physically contact the knife blade, so my plan is to use very strong neodymium magnets and very thin wood veneer to hide them. Also, I don't want to make cutouts exactly specifically matching each knife, because I might change what knives I attach to it. And, it needs to hang on a wall, and I want to have a redundantly safe system that doesn't purely rely on magnets, so I'm thinking kind of a little lip that catches the tip at the top, and a shelfy thing that the handle rests on at the bottom, and then the magnet to hold the knife firmly in place. This would also make it easier to clean than say a knife block or something with recesses the knives fit into.

I have an alternate idea in which the blade would go into the wood, spines and handles out, but still not contact a magnet. that would not be as easy to clean, but would also keep the sharp edges entirely concealed so no chance of slicing your fingers up when you absent-mindedly reach for a knife and miss your target.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bad Munki posted:

What's the penny for? Please don't say my thoughts, I don't want to rip anyone off.

It's a Japanese superstition tied to a TL:DR legend of custom knives from the 60's. I hope you can read this, it's a bit blurry. I stumbled across a set some years back a guy wanted to trade for a nice guitar. So I traded him a very fine aria Pro II LP copy I loved looking at, but hardly played. You can find these in the wild on occasion for chump change because no one knows how good they are or what they're worth. I use these knives every day.

Leperflesh posted:

Wellll, not exactly? I don't want the magnet to physically contact the knife blade, so my plan is to use very strong neodymium magnets and very thin wood veneer to hide them.

I think those surround rings are what contact the knives. You have to make sure you lay it in on contact because there's not a lot of attraction. But, I like your idea too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

I think those surround rings are what contact the knives. You have to make sure you lay it in on contact because there's not a lot of attraction. But, I like your idea too.

Yeah I want no metal contact because that tends to scar the face of the knife over time with little scratch-marks and that irritates me even though it's 100% cosmetic.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Saw this at the state fair. I appreciate the effort, but I think you went a liiiiiiiiittle overboard, my friend.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
What the heck are those little stubs on the sides of the tabletop? Wedge tenons to hold it together? But then why are they also running lengthwise?

The through tenon on that little backstop thing sitting on top of the tabletop also looks weird.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Looks like they are all locking joints, no glue or fasteners.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I want no metal contact because that tends to scar the face of the knife over time with little scratch-marks and that irritates me even though it's 100% cosmetic.

Mine are 50 years old and although I'm sure they weren't in use all that time, there's no marking.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

How do these through tenons work?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

With pocket holes on the inside and blocks glued to the outside.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah they don't. Someone just got the Greene & Greene book and didn't quiiiiite get it. Those bin pulls really aren't helping either.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If you look at the average state fair furniture competition a lot of the categories will have like 3 or 4 prizes for 5 or 6 entries

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

One is likely a peg through the other with a fat face to match.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

That was what made me do a double take, then I saw the tenons from nowhere surrounding the top and I was like oh no no

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Is woodworking one of those hobbies where once I leave the confines of SA and weird nerd CNC hobby stuff it's going to be baffling old man decisions all the way down?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

shovelbum posted:

Is woodworking one of those hobbies where once I leave the confines of SA and weird nerd CNC hobby stuff it's going to be baffling old man decisions all the way down?

Basically yes. Go look at sawmill creek sometime if you want to read a lot of bad information and see some ugly furniture.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
That's the only people who can fit a cabinet saw anywhere without having to have it make money

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Can you get your strongass neodynwhatever magnets, but recess them a mil or two so there is still enough grab to hold the knife, but it physically cant touch it?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
They sell ones that are wood with magnets inside so I'm guessing you can just put the magnets inside the wood because that's a product you can just go buy right now

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

NPR Journalizard posted:

Can you get your strongass neodynwhatever magnets, but recess them a mil or two so there is still enough grab to hold the knife, but it physically cant touch it?

The trick is holding the magnet in its little hole, and generally the easiest way to do that is to put something on top of the hole. I have had somewhat limited success in gluing magnets to wood, in the few times I've tried.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I'd just like hollow out a chunk of wood and stuff it full of magnets then stick knives to the wooden face. Like the thing you can buy

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Actually I have some leftover smallish chunks of teak butcher block maybe I'll do this

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You can absolutely recess a magnet, or you can put it under veneer like I'm thinking of doing, or this is also a product that exists:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078H5LBQV/

countersunk magnets! If you don't mind an exposed screw head. Or put a plug on it! Yeah there's tons of options, and I have some experience working with strong magnets from previous hobby stuff.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Leperflesh posted:

I made one of these a few years ago. I embedded magnets in a piece of plywood and then glued veneer over the top. My advice is to use a shitload of magnets.

edit: https://instagram.com/p/BAI56AhlSG-/

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
A neighbor called and wants me to take down her "cherry tree". If I remember correctly these wild cherry in the PNW are different than east coat cherry, I'm pretty sure this is one of those flat, shiny bark variety. Jump on it or pass?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

A neighbor called and wants me to take down her "cherry tree". If I remember correctly these wild cherry in the PNW are different than east coat cherry, I'm pretty sure this is one of those flat, shiny bark variety. Jump on it or pass?

How much do you like your neighbor? At worst you could use it to smoke some food and your neighbor will appreciate the help.

If I'm remembering right, those Bitter Cherry trees aren't the same as the others, but I've never seen the inside of them, just the outside.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It might be a Japanese/Taiwanese/flowering cherry, or it might be a European cherry, or it might be a black cherry growing outside its native range. All are good wood, but I think the non-black cherry ones won’t be as red/dark as black cherry and may look more like pear wood. They all would carve very well as spoons or salad hands or w/e I bet.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Also the precedent of "if you cut down the tree for free you can have the wood for free as payment" is bad and wrong.

Not saying don't do it if you want to be neighborly, but that's the scourge of the semi professional timber harvesting/mobile sawmilling business.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Well, I made a box for a drawer and it looks good!

I just did my math wrong and it's too long.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

Also the precedent of "if you cut down the tree for free you can have the wood for free as payment" is bad and wrong.

Not saying don't do it if you want to be neighborly, but that's the scourge of the semi professional timber harvesting/mobile sawmilling business.

Could you elaborate?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jhet posted:

Well, I made a box for a drawer and it looks good!

I just did my math wrong and it's too long.

Math once, dovetail twice.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

too long is better than too short...maybe not for a drawer but in general you can always cut more off.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jaded Burnout posted:

Math once, dovetail twice.

Everything else fits mostly great so far!

I haven’t put the face on yet, so I don’t know where I was measuring from or what I missed. There are definitely benefits to at least roughing it out on a computer, but I’m just so slow at it.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
How much extra length is there

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jhet posted:

I haven’t put the face on yet, so I don’t know where I was measuring from or what I missed. There are definitely benefits to at least roughing it out on a computer, but I’m just so slow at it.

I'm just joshing. I have to sketch out and/or mock up things a dozen times while making them because I can never keep the 3D transforms straight in my head. And I still cut things wrong sometimes.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hypnolobster posted:

Are you saying it's fine to cut down the tree your neighbor needs cut down if you're only doing it to be nice, and you just so happen to take the wood at the same time, but cutting down the tree your neighbor needs cut down and taking the wood is wrong, if the underlying reason you're doing it is for the wood?

Jaded Burnout posted:

Could you elaborate?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Mods change name to Sawmill Scourge because I will never stop cutting down trees that need to come down for my aunties in exchange for the wood instead of having them get taken by some random pro at their convenience

Edit: I'm loving around I dont cut anything down for fun, everything is either blowdown or being cut by the owner anyway

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 29, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I think the issue here is that people think they're doing you a service by giving you the opportunity to take all this free wood, all you have to do is cut the tree down and haul all the bits away. Even if you get a lot of wood out of the tree, it's not free -- you're putting in a lot of labor and your neighbor is benefiting from the service you're providing more than you are from getting the wood. Tree services get the wood "for free" (i.e. part of the work contract is hauling the wood away), and make whatever money they can from it (usually AIUI by turning it into mulch). They certainly don't work for free, which suggests that the value of the wood is not that high.

vvv yeah good point. There's a big difference between an old-growth redwood tree and a Bradford pear.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 29, 2019

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

On the other hand, many landowners make money by selling the rights to harvest some of their trees. It turns out that the commercial wood value of a tree is highly variable and dependent on the species, size, condition, and situation of the tree(s)!

Also, sometimes trees are stolen. See also: tree law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Mods change name to Sawmill Scourge because I will never stop cutting down trees that need to come down for my aunties in exchange for the wood instead of having them get taken by some random pro at their convenience

Edit: I'm loving around I dont cut anything down for fun, everything is either blowdown or being cut by the owner anyway

*strums banjo* John Henry was a Slatflippin Sawmill Scourgin Two-fisted Stihl drivin Man