Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No, you are pretty at the mercy of what the source is and what is negotiated between your tv and audio output device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'm not too up on TVs, when do new models come out? I've been feeling the upgrade itch all year, currently on a 1080p Samsung from ~2014. More than likely I'll get a TCL 6 series, are they normally refreshed in spring?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://www.experienceuhd.com/news/uhd-alliance-brings-together-filmmakers-ce-companies-and-hollywood-studios-for-new-filmmaker-mode

I hope LG updates older TV's to have this mode.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Why though? It seems like a terrible idea, although at this point it’s lacking in detail, but I can’t imagine an implementation of this that could account for the myriad of factors that go into how your screen is set.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I'm not too up on TVs, when do new models come out? I've been feeling the upgrade itch all year, currently on a 1080p Samsung from ~2014. More than likely I'll get a TCL 6 series, are they normally refreshed in spring?

CES is when many of the big brands announce the new models. If you do any sort of gaming HDMI 2.1 is the new thing everyone is waiting to upgrade for.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Seems like you can get a 65" C9 from greentoe for $2k all in. Is that a good enough price to move on? I'm tempted but I worry about there being a better deal come Black Friday.

I have no pressing need to upgrade, so I can easily just wait.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

halokiller posted:

CES is when many of the big brands announce the new models. If you do any sort of gaming HDMI 2.1 is the new thing everyone is waiting to upgrade for.

Ah ok. Is HDMI 2.1 going to have 4K60 as it's big selling point? I'm used to gaming on a PC so aside from my Switch I don't do much TV gaming

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Ah ok. Is HDMI 2.1 going to have 4K60 as it's big selling point? I'm used to gaming on a PC so aside from my Switch I don't do much TV gaming

HDMI 2.0 already does 4K60. 2.1 can do up to 10K120, along with support for variable refresh rates.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Monday_ posted:

HDMI 2.0 already does 4K60. 2.1 can do up to 10K120, along with support for variable refresh rates.

Ohhh, that'd be handy. Thanks!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Most companies announce at CES and release 6mo later. TCL is off cycle and announced 2019 models in the last month. No idea when they will hit the streets, however. I'd definitely wait though, unless you see an absolutely killer 6-series deal.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

LG 55" C9 $1292 shipped with code

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Bushido Brown posted:

Seems like you can get a 65" C9 from greentoe for $2k all in. Is that a good enough price to move on? I'm tempted but I worry about there being a better deal come Black Friday.

I have no pressing need to upgrade, so I can easily just wait.

The price of the C9 OLED has been falling so far and so fast that there is no telling where it will land. Sales are down YoY and LCD panels are getting better (OLED is still significantly better imo but the gap is closing). LG is sweating for sure, and once you start dramatically cutting the price of a premium product, it's hard to know where the floor is, as that process itself is something of a positive feedback loop.

I bought what I thought was a good deal on the C9 a couple of months ago and the TV is already $300 cheaper. I wouldn't be surprised if black friday brought as low as $1,800. So I guess as always you have to weight the benefits of a possible price decrease with the value that you would assign to purchasing the asset sooner over that period between now and then.

That being said, if you're sure about getting the C9 you should think about starting to pick off the best deals on 4K blu rays now, as establishing a collection gets expensive. Or you can start building a 4K remux plex library if you're the type for that, but either way, getting started on a potential library now instead of later and taking advantage of sales over that period is going to be a good call.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks. I ended up pulling the trigger. I realize it may continue to drop in price, but I doubt it'll drop by more than $500, and I am willing to pay that to take care of things now, as opposed to in three months.

I already have a 4K TV, so I have some content. The big upgrade for me is having HDR (as well as moving from 60" LED to 65" OLED). That said I appreciate/agree with the notion of building a library.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Taima posted:

The price of the C9 OLED has been falling so far and so fast that there is no telling where it will land.

I don't really see a reason why the C9 won't hit the same prices the C8 did by the time the holidays roll around.

FYI, Costco is apparently starting to carry the TCL 6 series in stores.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i'm looking to buy a tv or two for an art exhibit. i'm looking for ones that have zero logo on the bezel. i can't really go beyond 50" diagonally. what are my options?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

abelwingnut posted:

so i'm looking to buy a tv or two for an art exhibit. i'm looking for ones that have zero logo on the bezel. i can't really go beyond 50" diagonally. what are my options?

Budget?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

ideally i wouldn't spend more than $500 or so. but i can go higher. let's say like...$1250 max?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Hmm. I can't think of any TV offhand that has absolutely no branding. It would be strange from a marketing perspective for a company to do that. It's possible that an offbrand from China might do something like that if you check around, I guess, but then you have a possible reliability problem on your hands which wouldn't work for an exhibit.

Vizio and Sony both have relatively subtle branding (small logo, off to the far side of the bezel) but only on some of their models.

Given your budget, you could get something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-50-Inc...=gateway&sr=8-7

and then take off or obscure the logo? That's the best I can do, hope this helps.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Electrical tape over the logo?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i was able to find this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079TV1JWV/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A2K7RN1DSQCI9O&psc=1

looks like the closest thing i can come up with. samsung also has something called 'the frame', but it's twice as much. looks very cool, though. not sure what the actual viewing quality is on this lg or the samsung but they should be fine, i imagine? seems like quality has kind of hit a plateau in the last few years.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

It's an IPS panel, so viewing angles are good, which is probably what you want in an exhibit. Black levels will be pretty bad, but depending on your intended usage that might not matter at all.

If you want a wider viewing angle and don't care about black levels, looks great to me.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i don't think viewing angle will matter too much as the exhibit's a bit narrow and sides are inaccessible. would definitely like good black levels, but i guess it's not a dealbreaker. just how bad are we talking?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

You need a commercial modular panel, it's going to cost you potentially 10x a regular tv.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

i don't think viewing angle will matter too much as the exhibit's a bit narrow and sides are inaccessible. would definitely like good black levels, but i guess it's not a dealbreaker. just how bad are we talking?

Well YMMV in terms of the individual panels but usually you have two major options since OLED will be out of your range. This may not work on your monitor depending on the black levels you have, but I hope it will help you understand the general difference at least:

IPS and VA. There are numerous trade-offs but the biggest one is typically viewing angles vs. black levels. At higher price levels, you can get VA panels that also have good viewing angles, but at this price point you will have to choose between the two.

Here is an extremely random picture that will give you a general idea of the black level differential:

IPS panels like the one you chose are kind of being phased out, as most people are more willing to deal with poor viewing angles (since most will be viewing the TV straight on most of the time).

If the viewing angle doesn't matter I would look for a similarly priced VA panel, but that also restarts your search for finding a model without a logo.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Hopefully someone who knows more about budget panels will be able to comment as unfortunately this is a bit of a ignorant spot for me. One of the issues is that the best new panels start around 55 inches.

For example I would just say get one or two TCL 6 series panels and remove the logo, that would be perfect for your budget and awesome for your exhibit, and worth the trouble of removing the logos or obscuring with electrical tape. However the smallest model is 55 inches.

Are you absolutely sure you can't go past 50 inches?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

pretty much. it has to fit in a space that is 43" wide.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Oddly enough, the OLED burn in test would scare me away from an LG IPS TV.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

Seriously, look how bad the uniformity of the LG UJ6300 became over time. That's arguably worse than the burn in on the OLED.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

abelwingnut posted:

You want a digital signage display not a TV. If you don’t need 24/7 operation the cheaper displays will meet your needs.

https://m.cdw.com/product/samsung-dc49j-dcj-series-49-led-display/4901296

I know most Samsungs have a removable logo tag...I can’t see it on this one but it should be pretty close to what you want.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

oh, that is very much what i had in mind. thanks.

what exactly is the difference between this and a tv? can't it also take a cable box and playstation and all that just like any other tv?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Generally they don’t have tuners and only a few ports. The panels are rated for 8-24 hours of continuous use a day with warranty support for that kind of use.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

tuners essentially being antennas for picking up local ota signals?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

abelwingnut posted:

tuners essentially being antennas for picking up local ota signals?

Correct. Planar is another brand you could look at, I think they’re owned by LG?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
They also have, sometime, unique ways of linking up and being controlled by a little small form factor computer that can be inserted or mounted to the TV and offer various features related to that. Although now it's mostly just server based stuff instead of needing an onboard computer.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Cool that's interesting, I (clearly) know nothing about commercial displays. What are the technical differences that make them rated for such high usage?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Technically I don’t think there’s much different between a consumer and commercial panel. It’s all in the warranty.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 2, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I would guess the most likely physical change between the two is thermal management. Heat is the enemy to electronics longevity, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a commercial display have active fans or larger heatsinks.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
As far as I've seen there are four main categories of commercial TVs:

1. Long-life models. Basically the same as normal retail TVs, possibly in a slightly stripped down configuration, but with a guaranteed lifecycle so companies can standardize on them and know they have a product selected for the next X years.

2. Hospitality televisions. Same as above, but with external control interfaces to support alternative remotes, hotel on-demand systems, etc. Usually also supports Pro:Idiom or similar DRM platforms to allow for in-house TV distribution systems.

3. Digital signage. Pretty much a PC monitor designed for 24/7 operation. Better thermals are the primary concern as bull3694 notes. Usually no tuner and a variety of common video inputs, plus external control interfaces. May also support modular computer components like Intel Open Pluggable or Raspberry Pi Compute Module.

4. Outdoor displays. Digital signage, but with brighter backlights for outdoor visibility and even more effort put in to thermal management. May have active cooling, weatherproofing, etc.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 55S425 $270 shipped

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The 2019 65” P Series Quantum X is $1300 at Costco through Sunday and I’m kinda tempted except that’s $600 more than I paid for my 2018 65” Quantum that has moderate DSE.

Probably better to put that $600 toward an eventual OLED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Unless you're a fickle enough gamer to want the HDMI 2.1 stuff, it is hard to beat the C8 OLED for $1525:

https://slickdeals.net/f/13359277-lg-electronics-oled65c8pua-65-4k-ultra-hd-smart-oled-tv-1524?src=catpagev2

OLED prices have fallen fast enough that LEDs on the high end seem like a suspect buy unless your use case is better for them.