Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Comrade Fakename posted:

Not technically UK TV (and basically the only way to see it here currently is :filez:), but Pennyworth is good fun so far. It’s set in a weird alternate history 1950s/60s London, which seems subtle at first but by the end of the second episode is already going some places - a televised public execution?! The main guy is doing a very amusing Michael Caine impression and Paloma Faith is entertainingly chewing the scenery.

I guess you missed the gibbets by the roadside early in the first episode then lol

I'm liking it too, but yeah, definitely an interesting alternate universe take on the Swinging 60s. The PM's supposed to be Harold Macmillan, btw, I'm pretty sure. I do get the impression some of the actors have been told to be Very British, though.

(Oh yeah, who the hell in the Northern working class has a glass of sherry with their Yorkshire pudding?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Bake Off's back tonight.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

reality_groove posted:

Bake Off's back

All right!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Paladinus posted:

All right!

bun, bun bun bun bun bun, bun, bun bun bun

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The cinematography in Peaky Blinders s5 is a huge step up, and it was already a gorgeous show to begin with. God drat.

Writing-wise it’s about the same as ever. Very soapy and intense. I dig.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Escobarbarian posted:

The cinematography in Peaky Blinders s5 is a huge step up, and it was already a gorgeous show to begin with. God drat.

Writing-wise it’s about the same as ever. Very soapy and intense. I dig.

I watched the first series when it was first on and it was lovely looking, but I couldn't get beyond every episode being "Cillian Murphy's character looks like he's hosed, but actually he knew what was happening all along and double crossed everyone."

Has it moved on from that at all?

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
How many times has Aunt Pol threatened to shoot someone and then backed down and flounced?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Only four more sleeps until the new season Taskmaster...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

Only four more sleeps until the new season Taskmaster...

Is that actually any good? The cast seem to be the usual panel show tossers.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I can't comment on the line-up of the new series as it changes each time and it's not been on yet. But over it's 9 series run it's nearly always been brilliant television with some amazingly hilarious moments.

Although it tends to be the same faces as panel shows it's putting them into a totally different and under-pressure situation.

They're all available from the UKTV website - give season 1 a try.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Can we make “panel show tossers” the thread title please

I am super stoked for Taskmaster!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah I'm not watching this series because gently caress David Baddiel but Taskmaster is a show with an incredible level of consistency, pick a series with someone you like and it'll at least be good. The Nish Kumar series was my favourite though.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

IT'S LITTLE ALEX HORNE!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Why gently caress Baddiel?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

thehustler posted:

Without googling it and considering he's a comedian in TYOOL 2019, he's probably said something vile on twitter.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

You see the thing about David Bladdiblab... Is he's crap.

Season 8 didn't resonate so well with me, as o didn't really know any of them going in, so felt like I had no connection. This time round there's a couple of well knowns in there and I expect Jo Brand to take no crap.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

thehustler posted:

Blackface "for a joke", and refusing to apologise for it to this day.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Taratang posted:

Blackface "for a joke"

Dave Baddiel still gleaming

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
The series with Rhod Gilbert is possibly my favourite one for how little Rhod gave a poo poo about the whole thing and just used it to troll Greg Davies

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Just avoid series 6 and you can't go wrong

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Lemon posted:

Just avoid series 6 and you can't go wrong

Series 3 is the only "bad" one because the comedians were all too similar.
I mean yea russell howard is a prick but at least you get to laugh at him

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Rose matafeo is great, taskmaster season 8 is great l. gently caress knows the haters.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Taear posted:

Series 3 is the only "bad" one because the comedians were all too similar.
I mean yea russell howard is a prick but at least you get to laugh at him

I think Russell Howard was the best part of that series, because he was at least putting in some effort. There was just no dynamic between the contestants, which really killed it. Tim Vine and Liza Tarbuck were aggressively dull. I'd agree series 3 is the next worst, but not bad enough to avoid.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Muppetjedi posted:

The series with Rhod Gilbert is possibly my favourite one for how little Rhod gave a poo poo about the whole thing and just used it to troll Greg Davies

Also the loving javelin

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

My biggest complaint with the latter seasons, and Rhod is a prime suspect in this, is the increasing laziness when it comes to the prize task. A photo of an object should be judged as a photo of an object not the object itself, and generally scored poorly.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Just watch series 5. Bob Mortimer is quite possibly the best contestant in Taskmaster history. The show was designed for someone with his brain.

Also Sally Phillips was superb, too.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Dell_Zincht posted:

Just watch series 5. Bob Mortimer is quite possibly the best contestant in Taskmaster history. The show was designed for someone with his brain.

Also Sally Phillips was superb, too.

I'd say Sally Philips and Richard Osman have been my favourite two.

But if you're going to stop watching because of bad politics (like Baddiel in blackface) you really can't watch ANY series since all these comedians are either horrible centrists or else have some bizzare thing going on.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Taear posted:

I'd say Sally Philips and Richard Osman have been my favourite two.

But if you're going to stop watching because of bad politics (like Baddiel in blackface) you really can't watch ANY series since all these comedians are either horrible centrists or else have some bizzare thing going on.

I can't stand David Baddiel but i'll happily watch Series 9 because a) I love Jo Brand and b) Even Baddiel is going to be funny at some point.

That's just the way the show works, everyone gets a chance to be funny. I couldn't stand Joe Lycett before I watched him on Taskmaster, ended up really liking him.

Same went for Al Murray.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Even Taskmaster USA is worth watching (despite then making a mess of the format and Lisa Lampanelli quickly-boring shtick) because of the delightful Ron Funches.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Back to Life is sooooooooo good. Surprised I haven't heard more people talking about it.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

mcmagic posted:

Back to Life is sooooooooo good. Surprised I haven't heard more people talking about it.

Haha, I came here to post about it. It's loving great, watch it goons.

Also great is This Way Up.
Made, written and staring Aisling Bea, with Sharon Horgan among others.
It's touching, and darkly hilarious.

I'm going to admit genuine sadness that Poldark has ended.
Initially, I half watched it for a look at Demelza' beauty if I'm being (creepily) honest After a while I ended up liking it's daft charm.
It's so compressed that it's hard to keep up, but it has an odd charm. Not a patch on the 2 recommends above though.

Oh, if any of you find the Channel 4 online thing unbearable due to adverts, then I have good news.
With Firefox, Ublock Origin, and Ghostery, all the ads are blocked :-)
You have to click play 3 or 4 times, but it works perfectly

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Back to Life and This Way Up are both great. Peaky Blinders is still ridiculous fun.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Adolf Glitter posted:

Also great is This Way Up.
Made, written and staring Aisling Bea, with Sharon Horgan among others.
It's touching, and darkly hilarious.

Oh crap! It’s lovely Jimmy!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Thanks to Only Connect I had to explain Milkshake Duck to my mother.

I loving love Only Connect.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

No Bake Off chat yet?

It's too early to get emotionally attached to any of the contestants.

Young chap definitely had to go this week, he basically screwed up every challenge

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Slash posted:

No Bake Off chat yet?

It's too early to get emotionally attached to any of the contestants.

Young chap definitely had to go this week, he basically screwed up every challenge

I do have to say that last season was delightful. It didn't have even one contestants that I disliked.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm still working my way through! I'm on series 5.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm still working my way through! I'm on series 5.

Then you wouldn't want to watch the Soviet Canuckistan ones from the CBC. The are basically a direct copy.( They are decent, by the way).

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Your time starts now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I *bellylaughed* out loud when Katy Wix came in with the hard hat and hi viz vest on.

Welcome back, Taskmaster.