Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Don’t forget to factor in any packets of yeast you eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Picked up a 4 pack of 18th Street Deal With the Devil, pretty much entire based on the can art. Bought at Total so they weren’t cold. Any tips on what to expect once they are frosty?

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Picked up a 4 pack of 18th Street Deal With the Devil, pretty much entire based on the can art. Bought at Total so they weren’t cold. Any tips on what to expect once they are frosty?

Chuck it in the garbage because Drew Fox is a dick.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

So, either my tolerance went up or I'm a raging alcoholic, I pounded 8 Miller Lites last night playing some bidja gamss. It was like in the span of 4 hours but still! Woke up to a pile of cans on my desk.

Might just stick to 1 bomber of a big stout from now on.

what gamez? two low abv beers per hour is an ideal rate when you're ~in the zone~. I can't wait until I can game on my pc again, due to second kid and lack of space I've been gaming on a switch for the past 6 months. I'm not complaining because the switch owns.

I basically don't drink anything higher than 6.5% regularly anymore, especially at work. I'd rather be able to drink more tasty beer than slam my liver with alcohol. plus I'm always hitting the vape and too much of either will get in the way of maintaining the perfect high

FYAD SECRETARY fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 30, 2019

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

OUT FROM LURKING SHITPOST FTW

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

danbanana posted:

OUT FROM LURKING SHITPOST FTW

I’m sorry but I just haven’t been drinking as much beer because I’ve been pursuing cigars.

Replace cigars with loneliness and cocktails, actually.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Compusaurus posted:

Aww really? I had never heard of the brewery before. What’d he do?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Aww really? I had never heard of the brewery before. What’d he do?

https://chicagoist.com/2016/05/05/is_this_18th_street_brewery_label_s.php

They changed the label a while ago, calling for "progressive" steps in the industry so at least they're (finally) admitting their lovely behavior. They also charged full price for a designated driver ticket at one of their fests.

Also the guy has always had a rep for being a prick.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

danbanana posted:

https://chicagoist.com/2016/05/05/is_this_18th_street_brewery_label_s.php

They changed the label a while ago, calling for "progressive" steps in the industry so at least they're (finally) admitting their lovely behavior. They also charged full price for a designated driver ticket at one of their fests.

Also the guy has always had a rep for being a prick.

Thanks. I guess they got my $15 this time. The beer’s ok, nothing to write home about.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

what gamez? two low abv beers per hour is an ideal rate when you're ~in the zone~. I can't wait until I can game on my pc again, due to second kid and lack of space I've been gaming on a switch for the past 6 months. I'm not complaining because the switch owns.

I basically don't drink anything higher than 6.5% regularly anymore, especially at work. I'd rather be able to drink more tasty beer than slam my liver with alcohol. plus I'm always hitting the vape and too much of either will get in the way of maintaining the perfect high

Ha, Overwatch on PC. Nothing like a competitive online line team shooter and some beers to get the blood going. Also, I'm constantly talking/typing poo poo to people. Fuckin dorks!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Thanks. I guess they got my $15 this time. The beer’s ok, nothing to write home about.

That's everything from them. They gained some hype a few years ago because of their imperial stout, Hunter. There was a running joke about how everyone was ISO:FT one Hunter variant for another.

Anyway, Double Two Hearted is a decade late to a party that wasn't very fun in the first place. Why this is being sold in sixers is beyond me. They're also listing a 3 month shelf life, so you know two of these are getting put in the closet. At least partially because it's going to take a couple months to drink a few of these.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast still very good.

Thanks for listening to my ted talk.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Tiny Rebel's Easy Livin' is drat good, just like most of their beers.

In fact, i've also got a Cali Pale Ale ready to go too :)

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 3, 2019

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Mikkeller California Dream is also a very find pilsner. Taste like what a pilsner is supposed to taste like. 5.8% ABV also. Not too shabby.

Finishing the night off with some Sam Adams Oktoberfest and Roadhouse. All in all, a very good labour day.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Going to Berlin, Prague, and Vienna soon. Any beer tips for any of them? I'm reading that Berliner Weisse style is kind of dead in Berlin itself. They actually add red or green syrup to them.

Want to drink tons of dry pilsner. Don't really like sweet malty ones.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Just got back from Prague! We hit up a few beer nerd places but all of them kinda sucked. U Kunštátů was the only decent one but that's mostly because it's in Praha 1. Eaterywise I can recommend SaSaZu, really good asian fusion type place that's surprisingly cheap. The rooftop bar at prince hotel is a great place to take a break from touristing.

e: get beer cheese whenever it's on the menu. It's magic with a pilsner.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 3, 2019

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Prague:

air- posted:

Prague: Keep an eye for pubs that say "pivo z tanku" = beer from tanks. Understand that you can ask for beer to be poured different ways. In general you're gonna be drinking a crapton of pilsner.

If you can pull off going to Pilsen, you gotta do the Pilsner Urquell tour.

U Sadu was my favorite local pub and get the pub exclusive Sadek 11.

The Lokal chain of pubs will always have tankova Pilsner Urquell (filtered, unpasteurized).

air- posted:

Also get a beer at the top of Riegrovy Sady

Food: Most of the suggestions here are awesome

Especially liked these:
Sansho and Maso a kobliha - both commonly recommended in Prague for good reason
Nase Maso
Nota Bene

Vietnamese food kicks rear end in Prague, make sure to eat some:
Remember Pho
Pho Vietnam Tuan Lan

Spent a day just gorging on desserts/pastries too and I really liked the kolac/kolaches at Simply Good while Cafe Savoy just has an absurd amount of good pastries to try

I miss Prague :sigh:

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
gently caress, I forgot about pho. It was even on my todo list from back when you first posted that.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I went on a week long vacation to New England. Visited a bunch of breweries including Oxbow, Allagash, Barreled Souls, and Treehouse. The highlight was Barreled Souls not just because of the great beer but also because of the awesome ice cream and mini golf place around the corner. There’s also a water park which looked amazing so if I ever make it back that way I’m definitely gonna have to do that as well. All in all it was a good trip. I bought 3 cases of beer at Treehouse so I guess I’m the idiot now.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

deedee megadoodoo posted:

I went on a week long vacation to New England. Visited a bunch of breweries including Oxbow, Allagash, Barreled Souls, and Treehouse. The highlight was Barreled Souls not just because of the great beer but also because of the awesome ice cream and mini golf place around the corner. There’s also a water park which looked amazing so if I ever make it back that way I’m definitely gonna have to do that as well. All in all it was a good trip. I bought 3 cases of beer at Treehouse so I guess I’m the idiot now.

*passes the torch to you*

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Is it just me or does Victory Sour Monkey not actually have brett in it and is actually just a kettle sour?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I made it to Munich and got to down beer in a liter stein while I shove spatzle into my mouth. 10/10 would chill at beer garden again

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Australian Beer.

The Feral "Draught" that now in cans is very awesome. I was wanting some Timothy Taylor Landlord today but the only supply in this town is getting a bit old on the shelf now. This, which I didn't even know about until today, was a fantastic replacement. Extremely comparable to Landlord. Worth a go if you see it.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

immortalyawn posted:

Australian Beer.

The Feral "Draught" that now in cans is very awesome. I was wanting some Timothy Taylor Landlord today but the only supply in this town is getting a bit old on the shelf now. This, which I didn't even know about until today, was a fantastic replacement. Extremely comparable to Landlord. Worth a go if you see it.

They export Landlord to Australia?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Spuckuk posted:

They export Landlord to Australia?

It's bad enough from a bottle as it is, I cant even begin to imagine what it's like after traveling to Australia and sitting on a shelf for however many months.

From tap though, Landlord is one of my favourite beers.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Anyone have any insight on beer-related poo poo in Birmingham, AL? I'll be downtown for a few nights early next month. No car, but I'll pony up for an Uber for a place with good beer and food.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Dell_Zincht posted:

It's bad enough from a bottle as it is, I cant even begin to imagine what it's like after traveling to Australia and sitting on a shelf for however many months.

From tap though, Landlord is one of my favourite beers.

big same

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
drank the first new ipa I liked in what feels like years. crispy thing from suarez. not a haze which was such a fuckin relief. otherwise I've been drinking very infrequently lately. bought some Aslin pastry at low secondaries because I loved Boston.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

drank the first new ipa I liked in what feels like years. crispy thing from suarez. not a haze which was such a fuckin relief. otherwise I've been drinking very infrequently lately. bought some Aslin pastry at low secondaries because I loved Boston.

pale ale. what you had a was a pale ale

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

danbanana posted:

Anyone have any insight on beer-related poo poo in Birmingham, AL? I'll be downtown for a few nights early next month. No car, but I'll pony up for an Uber for a place with good beer and food.

Two of my favorite places around there are Avondale and Ghost Train. Ghost Train especially.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

pale ale. what you had a was a pale ale

haha I didn't see the abv on the can and assumed it was closer to 6.5 so yeah rip in that case it reminds me of tired hands circa 2014 before all the gimmick poo poo got out of hand

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Canned Corona is much better then bottled. Speaking of cans, local brewery here (Mike Hess) cans their beer in pop tops. I thought I had gargantuan strength for a second before I realized what kind of can it was. Pretty cool. Novelty wore off after I figured all that openness probably makes the beer get warmer faster.
But idk, im an idiot :shrug:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Canned Corona is much better then bottled. Speaking of cans, local brewery here (Mike Hess) cans their beer in pop tops. I thought I had gargantuan strength for a second before I realized what kind of can it was. Pretty cool. Novelty wore off after I figured all that openness probably makes the beer get warmer faster.
But idk, im an idiot :shrug:

Good news! The company that makes those is discontinuing them next year because people are loving assholes and litter too much!

I think they're really neat. :(

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

haha I didn't see the abv on the can and assumed it was closer to 6.5 so yeah rip in that case it reminds me of tired hands circa 2014 before all the gimmick poo poo got out of hand

You should try more local pale ales. Some are actually good.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

danbanana posted:

HopCity on 3rd had a good selection when I dropped in there about 4 years ago. Don't think they had food though.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

Spanish Manlove posted:

You should try more local pale ales. Some are actually good.

theyre not as good as suarez.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

theyre not as good as suarez.

breaking news!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

TheKingslayer posted:

Two of my favorite places around there are Avondale and Ghost Train. Ghost Train especially.

Sweet, thanks!

nullfunction posted:

HopCity on 3rd had a good selection when I dropped in there about 4 years ago. Don't think they had food though.

And to you as well!

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

In 2014, a Goon sent me a baby growler of a mango IPA from them that was absolutely the best fruited IPA I've had by a long drat margin.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

MagoTago sucks now so cherish that memory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Paul ReiserFS posted:

MagoTago sucks now so cherish that memory