Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
PracGuide: Well well well Bard. Convincing the Augur of silence certainly would've let all of this happen. But she Augur's running her own game too (did she bind Bard? and for how long?). And holy poo poo Cordelia rejects two names today.

Plenty of badassitude to go around today.

I presume the goblinfire from Monday has been taken care of in the background now given the story beat?

EDIT: Also an interesting parallel to Hierarch in how they both drew power from their belief in <country/institution/law>, but ended up in completely different places - one mad named, one perfectly sane mortal

lurksion fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Awesome chapter

I think that the ritual she wrote in the snow summoned the Bard, who was bound to stay there for as long as it was still inscribed. While the Bard was talking to Agnes, she wasn’t able to interfere with the White Knight and stop him from reaching the Assembly. At the end of the chapter Agnes wipes away the symbols and the Bard was dismissed.

Silynt fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 4, 2019

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

lurksion posted:

PracGuide: Well well well Bard. Convincing the Augur of silence certainly would've let all of this happen. But she Augur's running her own game too (did she bind Bard? and for how long?). And holy poo poo Cordelia rejects two names today.

Plenty of badassitude to go around today.

I presume the goblinfire from Monday has been taken care of in the background now given the story beat?

EDIT: Also an interesting parallel to Hierarch in how they both drew power from their belief in <country/institution/law>, but ended up in completely different places - one mad named, one perfectly sane mortal

:perfect:

This chapter could not possibly have been targeted any better at me without involving the literal murder of a god.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I really hope Augur lets Cordelia know about this, and we get a scene wherein Cordelia and Catherine are both trying to inform each other of this terrible threat named the Wandering Bard, all the while Pilgrim quietly seethes that nobody likes Bard.

edit: There were like three attempts to give Cordelia a Name, with even Below making a final token attempt lol

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 4, 2019

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Three attempts? I only caught one. And maybe belows aswell?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Affi posted:

Three attempts? I only caught one. And maybe belows aswell?

The first time was immediately before Hanno entered the chamber. That's when Bard got real salty. The choice to Cordelia would have been becoming the Warden of the West to save her life and all of Procer from the coup.

The second time was when she caught Hanno's coin. It was still from Above and the same Name, just another go at it, this time with more choice for Cordelia. Because the coup was done now, pretty much no matter what. Personally, I suspect on the second attempt she would have been associated with the Choir of Judgement like Hanno.

The last attempt was probably from Below the and the Name would have been First Prince. It was right before she sat down again, and was easily pushed aside. It was when she could see how she could control all of Procer basically, legitimately or not. It had a very Below feeling to it and neatly explains Catherine's observations that parts of Cordelia's story has a villainous lean to it.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Still waiting for Chekhov's Munitions to pay off, it gets mentioned every now and then so we don't forget about it.

I assume it will be an issue with the Accords? Since they ban the use of extraplanar entities, and Army of Callow munitions are made from devils. Also going to make it hard for the goblins to sign up, either in Callow or Praes.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

mossyfisk posted:

Still waiting for Chekhov's Munitions to pay off, it gets mentioned every now and then so we don't forget about it.

I assume it will be an issue with the Accords? Since they ban the use of extraplanar entities, and Army of Callow munitions are made from devils. Also going to make it hard for the goblins to sign up, either in Callow or Praes.

She mentioned allowances to summon devils in specific situations; so Goblinfire is problematic but the rest isn't.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

A big flaming stink posted:

oh the 9k one was the patreon chapter. the 24k one is also super loving emotional. :qq: :qq: Mrsha :qq: :qq:

Ugh drat you were right, all that Mrsha stuff was handled very well, and the rest of it hit extremely close to home, being just like how a lot my friendships now are fractured with so many people I liked or looked up to coming out in support of fascism and wanton executions without trial.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I've taken a pretty long hiatus from both Prac Guide and TWI and I'm gonna go back in by starting from the beginning again, but I can't decide which to read first. :ohdear:

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

The Shortest Path posted:

I've taken a pretty long hiatus from both Prac Guide and TWI and I'm gonna go back in by starting from the beginning again, but I can't decide which to read first. :ohdear:

Into The Mire

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Anias posted:

Into The Mire

That would just mean that in a year or so I'd have to make the same choice again but also with Into The Mire added.

I'm very bad at keeping up with web serials once I binge them to completion.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

That would just mean that in a year or so I'd have to make the same choice again but also with Into The Mire added.

I'm very bad at keeping up with web serials once I binge them to completion.

Practical Guide to Evil just had a couple of pretty excellent story arcs.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Speaking of PracGuide, one thing I think it does well is using a somewhat unreliable narrator with Catherine. Like, from an "objective" standpoint I'd say that Cordelia overall has a better history than Catherine, even if they might both be relatively "good" in the present. Catherine took a long time to reach her current point, while Cordelia has basically been a badass who more or less with the aid of only the Augur and her uncle navigated to her current position. The main bad thing Cordelia did was the sort of thing that still made sense from her perspective (the Crusade), since one thing Cat often fails to consider is how others are going to perceive her given their information (namely that villainous Names are almost always bad in the end and frequently preternaturally skilled at deception). As the reader, we're inclined to perceive people who "get in her way" negatively," even if it might be 100% rational from their position and given the information they have access to.

In a way, Cat has basically spent the entire story gradually working her way towards agreeing with Cordelia's view that Named are best kept out of leadership positions and that secular institutions are best. The main thing Catherine has that Cordelia does not have is the experience to realize that "evil-aligned" nations aren't lost causes and the desire and power to seek a Calernia-wide solution instead of just one applying to a specific country.

I kinda get the impression that the Accords will go a long way towards getting Cordelia to treat Cat more favorably, since they prove that their goals are mostly aligned.

I'm a bit confused about the stuff with Scribe. Are we supposed to assume that Black told her to stop what she was doing? I thought it was implied earlier that Scribe's allegiance was to "her idea of Black," potentially lead to a conflict between her and a Black with changed goals.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 5, 2019

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I'm sorry, but being born into royalty with the best military mind in the nation as a loving uncle and a cousin who can see the future is kind of laughable as a "low" start.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TWI is the best, and I am thinking of re reading the whole thing again on my vacation.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Scribe has no reason to object to the Accords and was convinced that Black was not merely being sentimental. Thus, she ended her plot and worked to stop Malicia's attempt to take advantage of it.

7c Nickel posted:

I'm sorry, but being born into royalty with the best military mind in the nation as a loving uncle and a cousin who can see the future is kind of laughable as a "low" start.

This is totally true too. The Augur and Cordelia's uncle were basically game changers, particularly when paired with the fact that Cordelia was a Lycaonese ruler that understood how to play the game when, traditionally, they just worry about the Dead King and Chain of Hunger.

The rest of Procer had exhausted itself on, like, a decade of civil war so it's not a surprise Cordelia managed to win.

Much more significant is how she managed to get the Crusade and Grand Alliance going. And what really elevated her to being a badass is the coup and her handling of it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

7c Nickel posted:

Oh absolutely, but she didn't have someone like Black basically watching over her to make sure she didn't mess up too bad or the advantages of having a Name and being able to manipulate stories in your favor).

The Augur is probably the biggest advantage she had, but she more or less earned her support.

SerSpook posted:

The rest of Procer had exhausted itself on, like, a decade of civil war so it's not a surprise Cordelia managed to win.

Unless I'm misremembering something, Cordelia specifically arranged things such that she would come out ahead from the civil war.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm reading Azarinth Healer because I kept trying to start it since it's highly rated so it cant be as bad as it seems, right?

Well it gets to acceptably written like, 400 pages in, for anyone who's as much of a reading masochist as me

Musluk
May 23, 2011

So, the Bard knows all the stories, yet still gets fooled by choice - which might mean stories robbed a lot of Named people (and even more nameless) from their agency. Can't wait for that karmic backlash. And I guess this recent episode is the 2nd part, first one being Cat refusing it.

Man, PracGuide is awesome.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
for the bard this is a pretty big setback, from her reaction she was probably banking on Cordilia becoming named so that she can more directly intercede with the war on the dead king.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Musluk posted:

So, the Bard knows all the stories, yet still gets fooled by choice - which might mean stories robbed a lot of Named people (and even more nameless) from their agency. Can't wait for that karmic backlash. And I guess this recent episode is the 2nd part, first one being Cat refusing it.

Man, PracGuide is awesome.

Based on the Bard's comment it sounds like everyone has a choice and they always choose the name and power.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Unless I'm misremembering something, Cordelia specifically arranged things such that she would come out ahead from the civil war.

Not particularly, I don't think. By the time she entered the civil war, it had already been ongoing for several years--that was the whole reason she entered in the first place, even.

Unless we're just saying she "arranged things" by, like, winning the war. But she had no particular hand in manipulating it or anything.

edit: also, yeah, she didn't have a Name or someone like Black backing her, but none of her opponents had anything like that either. catherine herself wasn't particularly badass either until... probably the time she tricked Contrition into resurrecting her?

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 5, 2019

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

asur posted:

Based on the Bard's comment it sounds like everyone has a choice and they always choose the name and power.

Heirophant didn't get a choice.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

LLSix posted:

Heirophant didn't get a choice.

I assume you meant Hierarch?

And he got his name the moment it was confirmed by the Tribunal Of The People; even when he thought it was wrong and a perversion of Bellaraphon's ideals he still accepted their judgment.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Both Not All Heroes and Inheritors got finished early. This is a bad year for serials.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 6, 2019

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

Both Not All Heroes and Inheritors got finished early. This is a bad year for serials.

soon every single word belonging to a web serial will only be written for The Wandering Inn, Prac Guide, and Wildbow

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Or to Generic LitRPGs #1776-900000

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

Or to Generic LitRPGs #1776-900000

pages upon pages consisting of nothing but stat blocks aren't books!!!! :mad: :mad:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

A big flaming stink posted:

pages upon pages consisting of nothing but stat blocks aren't books!!!! :mad: :mad:

Denial +10!

[A big flaming stink has leveled up!]

<Unlock more posts?>
<Y> / <N>

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's pretty funny that for some reason litrpg web serials only come in two flavors: grimdark western fantasy and grimdark wuxia.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
Maybe that's why He who fights with monsters is popping off, add wuxia rankings to a fantasy world and sprinkle in some jokes to lighten the mood.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Skeep posted:

Maybe that's why He who fights with monsters is popping off, add wuxia rankings to a fantasy world and sprinkle in some jokes to lighten the mood.

all he needs to add is an immortal child demon that's also a succubus for Reasons. seriously why is that a character in like, half of royal road stories

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Because of paedophiles.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Because of paedophiles.

Uhm, excuse me, but they're called Libertarians

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Early TWI Patreon!

Belavierr is a goddamn nightmare :stare: :stare: :stare:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Jason met a goddess, and she made a Ray Comfort joke. Also, double chapter.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

New MoL. Still somewhat disappointed that the climax is a big fight, and not espionage/sneaky BS, but it's good fun nonetheless.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Holy poo poo Jason you're getting kinda messed up there... (patreon chapter latest)

Affi fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

SITB posted:

I assume you meant Hierarch?

And he got his name the moment it was confirmed by the Tribunal Of The People; even when he thought it was wrong and a perversion of Bellaraphon's ideals he still accepted their judgment.

Correct on both counts.