Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

I felt like I could keep going, but this was like 10k+ indium an hour or something silly.

Edit: Whoops, new page. One of the better looking worlds I found.

HexiDave fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

HexiDave posted:

I felt like I could keep going, but this was like 10k+ indium an hour or something silly.

are they all merged together, or are there separate silos per harvester?

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

evilweasel posted:

are they all merged together, or are there separate silos per harvester?

I have all the harvesters wired one to the next (with electric wire and pipe) in a chain, with the last one connecting to one silo, which connects in a chain with pipes to other silos. So, they're all linked up - you can go to any silo and get the material out, and all the harvesters mine to the silo series.

Edit: Actually, if you look at the picture you can see the single pipe running from the harvesters to the silo series.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Found a nice hot rod of an S-class fighter. I decided keep it, despite it only being 29+5 slots.

I like fighters much better than haulers while in the cockpit in VR.

I'm currently using it to find S-class frigates, so very nice to have for the inevitable pirate attacks.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

evilweasel posted:

You can't mine gold deposits (and a few other kinds of minerals) with the new mining/silo stuff. The miner just bugs out and has a pipeline error, no matter how you set it up (this may be fixed in a patch today)

I didn't know you can't mine gold (rip the S class gold deposit I found) but someone mentioned making money with a "cobalt bug" and I'm confused.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The "cobalt bug" may have been the market manipulation trick, which isn't related to mining.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Blindeye posted:

I didn't know you can't mine gold (rip the S class gold deposit I found) but someone mentioned making money with a "cobalt bug" and I'm confused.

Sell ten thousand cobalt in one transaction. All sell for a normal price. Since you crashed the market, the market price is now 25% of what you sold the cobalt for. Buy it all back in one transaction. Presto, you’ve got 75% of the value of the cobalt and you still have your cobalt stack. Repeat.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
found a super cool planet. lots of lush greenery, orange water (that turns blue at night), flying fish (like in the air), and a green nebula night sky.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AbstruseOptimisticStapleKeepo

I nominate it for GoonWorld if I can figure out how to share its location

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
why the gently caress does using the storage rooms in a freighter teleport me onto the roof. Why does interacting with it affect my position in any way. Why is there no way for me to get back into the freighter without dying. This sucks.

Is there a good way of getting lots of getting lots of freighter fuel, or the dihydrogen to craft it? I enjoy having a fleet but running around lasering blue crystals is getting very tedious.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
After friend A gifted my NMS, I mentioned to friend B that I particularly enjoyed the base building aspect of it, and friend B turned me on to Space Engineers:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/244850/Space_Engineers/

I am absolutely loving it, but don't see a thread for it. Any other goons play this?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Cicadalek posted:

why the gently caress does using the storage rooms in a freighter teleport me onto the roof. Why does interacting with it affect my position in any way. Why is there no way for me to get back into the freighter without dying. This sucks.

Is there a good way of getting lots of getting lots of freighter fuel, or the dihydrogen to craft it? I enjoy having a fleet but running around lasering blue crystals is getting very tedious.

Decompose dihydrogen jelly in a refiner at 50 per. Ideally you park in a system that's on market, but you can also craft it for 40, or 30 in a refiner with time.

On an unrelated note, I finally did the armorer's last task after buying some exosuit shield upgrades and plasma launcher upgrades. Bullseying sentinels with plasma is pretty effective when you can take a few hits.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Cicadalek posted:

Turn dihydro into jelly in a refiner and then turn the jelly back into dihydro. The end result is more dihydro than what you started with.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

After friend A gifted my NMS, I mentioned to friend B that I particularly enjoyed the base building aspect of it, and friend B turned me on to Space Engineers:

I am absolutely loving it, but don't see a thread for it. Any other goons play this?

I don't know about a thread but I didn't play this one in a couple of years I think. It was pretty good back then but your ships kept exploding because of physics and the objects used to put it together.

I also recommend Stationeer https://store.steampowered.com/app/544550/Stationeers/ for base building. I didn't play in months but it was pretty great base building thing with circuits and stuff. You can make complicated stuff... People figured out a way to automatically make solar panel follow the sun for optimal performance and reset at the end of the day so they're ready for next day. You used a bunch of controls and basically do logic circuits with processors you craft and set up. If you like NMS base building and Space Engineers, there's no chance you won't like Stationeers.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

ToastyPotato posted:

Turn dihydro into jelly in a refiner and then turn the jelly back into dihydro. The end result is more dihydro than what you started with.

You can also refine tritium into dihydro at 5:1 in a pinch, if you run out of jelly etc

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I'm sure answer is yes but just to check buying a new freighter keeps your ship collection/frigate collection? I have enough money now for 2 of them but haven't out of sheer blind panic one of my two favourite ships will poof out of existence. Don't want to lose my frigates either I painstakingly levelled up to S class from a years worth of 1 star missions.

The game can keep the exotic I managed to pick up though. Good god is that thing awful, it has fewer slots than my c-class starter and I literally only use it to park it in the anomaly for e-cred. It's one of these:

Also after searching high & low for an 'earth like' planet with no sentinels & no storms I found one, built a base & was bored in minutes. I now only build bases on proper "alien" planets & it's far more interesting. My latest 'acquisitions' at least make for more interesting desktop wallpapers.
('mega' exotic' planets are groovy)

Stuck doing the mission thing where you have to find all the animals on one planet?! - Find one of these planets, there's 1 animal type on it! Easiest achievement ever! (edit: 'cabled' planet)

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm not trying to poo poo on anyone's sightseeing antics but am I the only person here who has seen all the dozen or so exotic planets and finds them all to be an incredibly boring waste of time to visit anymore?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ToastyPotato posted:

Or instead of the tedious cycling there, notice that while stations and traders don't sell dihydrogen, they DO sell jelly. Just buy a bunch of it and go feed that all into the refiner.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

DaveKap posted:

I'm not trying to poo poo on anyone's sightseeing antics but am I the only person here who has seen all the dozen or so exotic planets and finds them all to be an incredibly boring waste of time to visit anymore?

I'll probably get there eventually too. I'd like if there was more than 1 biome a planet because the interplay where they intersect could be fun at least. Not sure how many more changes they're likely to make to the planet generation if they're worried about ppl losing their bases.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lord Awkward posted:

You can also refine tritium into dihydro at 5:1 in a pinch, if you run out of jelly etc
imo don't do this because tritium is by far the most annoying element to come into. dihydrogen you can at least farm from respawning crystals outside a base on literally any planet, but tritium comes from two places, and that's sitting in asteroid field being bored, and the marketplace from systems with the right economy (power generation?)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Glazius posted:

On an unrelated note, I finally did the armorer's last task after buying some exosuit shield upgrades and plasma launcher upgrades. Bullseying sentinels with plasma is pretty effective when you can take a few hits.
Oh god gently caress that quest. I had 1 death prior from clipping through some part of my freighter and getting launched into space, but I died a good 10+ times trying to get that fuckin' thing done. Because my base was basically cantilevered over a hill, the damned sentinels kept getting stuck underneath where I couldn't shoot them but they could shoot through solid walls/floors to get me and the walker was clipping through the buildings and if I ducked out of sight for .5 seconds to reload or regain some shields they lost sight of me and the mission would reset.

I guess on the bright side I'm really rolling in Pugneum now.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

drat, I haven't played Space Engineers since like, the very first Early Access version. Seems like they've improved it a lot! From memory you could crash your ship into things and it'll try and realistically have your ship torn apart, right? (Or did I dream that?)
I should really try that again - especially since NMS doesn't like my xbone controller anymore.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Major Isoor posted:

drat, I haven't played Space Engineers since like, the very first Early Access version. Seems like they've improved it a lot! From memory you could crash your ship into things and it'll try and realistically have your ship torn apart, right? (Or did I dream that?)
I should really try that again - especially since NMS doesn't like my xbone controller anymore.
That definitely does still work well :)

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Libluini posted:

In my case, I settled on Cadmium for building materials. Because I get more building materials faster and because I like the sound of the name "Cadmium" :v:

My other extractor bases extract Radon and Oxygen, and even with two refineries the about 10k I make per day is already more then I can refine in the few hours playtime a week I have. Still, this is enough to create silly stacks of Cryo Pumps and Fusion Accelerant: When I'm done with refining and crafting for the day, I have about 10-15 of each, enough for up to 45 million credits.

The funny thing is, since the main bottleneck is my playing time, trying to make this nonsense more efficient or trying to upping the output is complete bollocks - I already can't turn everything I get into money, as this would mean logging into the game each day like into a second job, which I can't stand.

But even so, even with the absolute minimum of effort and wires haphazardly going all over the place, I'm already loving rich. Every day I bother to craft something, I'm gaining 40 million credits.

I've already gone mad with power and upgraded my old freeby-freighter twice: From my old 17-slot monstrosity looking like a bunch of yellow pipes thrown into outer space, I've gone to a new 25-slot star destroyer and then a WH40K-looking 33-slot thing, in the span of a couple days. Those new freighters cost me 100 million to upgrade, thanks to the insane price differences between each, but on the other hand, I've already made 100 million more in the same time span!

poo poo, I just now I realized I'm basically addicted to making fake space money. I may have a problem

How did you manage to turn "see landscapes, meet squirrels the game" into an addiction?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

SubponticatePoster posted:

Oh god gently caress that quest. I had 1 death prior from clipping through some part of my freighter and getting launched into space, but I died a good 10+ times trying to get that fuckin' thing done. Because my base was basically cantilevered over a hill, the damned sentinels kept getting stuck underneath where I couldn't shoot them but they could shoot through solid walls/floors to get me and the walker was clipping through the buildings and if I ducked out of sight for .5 seconds to reload or regain some shields they lost sight of me and the mission would reset.

I guess on the bright side I'm really rolling in Pugneum now.

Killing sentinels with a 24 slots with fully upgraded boltcaster and shotgun is easy, you just have to follow the ABC. Always be cstrafing. If you can also use a factory or a minor outpost to outmaneouver them that's better.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

limaCAT posted:

see landscapes, meet squirrels the game

New thread title?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

limaCAT posted:

How did you manage to turn "see landscapes, meet squirrels the game" into an addiction?

I may have been a bit overly dramatic there. But now that the new SNES-App on my Switch has unlocked, I'm spending my freetime playing Mario and Zelda instead

Apparently I was never addicted at all! :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

limaCAT posted:

Killing sentinels with a 24 slots with fully upgraded boltcaster and shotgun is easy, you just have to follow the ABC. Always be cstrafing. If you can also use a factory or a minor outpost to outmaneouver them that's better.
I generally have no problem killing sentinels, it was just their hosed up AI combined with the terrain and buildings that was giving me fits. None of those strategies work if your shots won't actually hit an enemy that's wedged under a deck or they have the magical ability to shoot through solid objects. I got it done, but it sucked rear end.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
the Armoror's challenge kicked my dick to shreds a few times, because, somehow, after killing 4-5 sentinels, then one of the big walker things on two legs, my count would randomly reset, the second 2 legged one managing to murk me quite soundly, still, got plenty of their robot blood and stuff so eh.
The "cobalt" thing is more; anything a station sells that you sell to it, in stacks of a thou or more, drops the price 5 fold or so, so, yeah, Cobalt is one of the first decently selling, easily and safely available mineral so that's what the "working as intended" market glitch is, (I guess to simulate supply and demand, however, seeing as you immediately buy it back at a redic price, and it slowly recovers back to its original level, its easy to exploit), if you find a station/terminal/whatever apart from rando fella next to ship, selling a bunch of things you have multiple thousand stacks of: Groovy.

E: Bonus Shreck/Donky buggery

staberind fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Sep 6, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Normally this would irk me but the low detail LOD tree models kinda look cool there.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Yeah space engies is great, there have been some recent patches I've been meaning to try out

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3724257

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh thank god

https://www.nomanssky.com/2019/09/beyond-patch-2-11/

quote:

Increased the speed at which text in alien interactions prints out after clicking to move the interaction on.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I mean, I am glad that is finally in the game after so many patches (years?) but it is kind of funny that the "push button to make text faster" feature has been a thing in games since at least the 90s, if not the 80s (can't remember if any NES games with dialog had that feature.)

But this patch also has:

quote:

Allowed players to exchanged multiple pieces of navigation data at a time at the Cartographer.

Which is probably the much bigger deal here.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ToastyPotato posted:

I got a mod that just lets you convert them directly from your inventory. It's one of those random mods that doesn't seem to require updating after patches, so I say go hog wild.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

But this patch also has:

Yeah I used this last night and probably the biggest thing to it is that you don't get all the same kind - I got like 4 Secure Site (first time!), 2 Inhabited Outpost, 2 Ancient Aliens, and 2 Distress Signals for a stack of 10.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

I mean, I am glad that is finally in the game after so many patches (years?) but it is kind of funny that the "push button to make text faster" feature has been a thing in games since at least the 90s, if not the 80s (can't remember if any NES games with dialog had that feature.)

But this patch also has:

The exchanging stuff doesn't work if you want to buy maps with nanites, by the way. The vendor still only sells you one at a time. Which means if you are like me and always carry a giant stack of nanites but not much nav data, this is like a personal insult and makes you swear death by laser to the developer who decided this.

On the other hand, I made this work for me by buying at first a map with nanites and only committing my stack of nav data if it's the type I want.

And I don't know if it is a bug or an undocumented change, but my plasma launcher doesn't work on automatic anymore: Until the new patch, I could just hold down the trigger to launch one grenade after another. Today I was almost killed because I noticed too late there weren't any more grenades coming after the first one. Really weird change if this is on purpose.

What's also almost killing me are the new manufacturing riddles added in Beyond. Turns out I have a marvelous sense for always taking the option the devs don't want me to take. They're also sometimes really cheeky with their failure messages, my newest failure today told me something along the lines of "Yeah sure, you solved our riddle, but logically this makes the factory shut down, so gently caress you! Next time, please be stupider and take one of the wrong options, thanks."

Nothing is more infuriating then being told you were right but because you were right, you get nothing. Who even thinks this is good game design??? :argh:

Edit:

I may be also bad at riddles

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 6, 2019

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

This is the most exotic thing I have found so far.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
It looks like it only accepts stacks of 5 or 10 navigation data so if you have 4 then you're still stuck doing it one at a time. I also can't seem to stack the maps so I have a stack of 2 that I can't combine with a stack of 3. It doesn't seem to matter much because the maps aren't super exciting anyway. Even though I have upgraded my ship and inventory, I'm still starved for space so I'll need to start selling these items.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Libluini posted:

The exchanging stuff doesn't work if you want to buy maps with nanites, by the way. The vendor still only sells you one at a time. Which means if you are like me and always carry a giant stack of nanites but not much nav data, this is like a personal insult and makes you swear death by laser to the developer who decided this.

On the other hand, I made this work for me by buying at first a map with nanites and only committing my stack of nav data if it's the type I want.

Atlas v1 pass canisters and the various save points and those canisters you find on your freighter just poo poo out nav datas. Also check out the small orange cubes you find on tables in space stations and around buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

limaCAT posted:

Atlas v1 pass canisters and the various save points and those canisters you find on your freighter just poo poo out nav datas. Also check out the small orange cubes you find on tables in space stations and around buildings.

Dude, I've been playing this dumb game for 100+ hours, I know this. It's just that I in most cases rather have the empty slots instead of carrying all those stacks of nav data. I mean that's what the option to just buy the drat maps is for: So I don't have to carry nav data!

Fake edit: I'm already up to 9 nav data again just by walking around a couple factories and failing the mini games again. I guess at least I can now fail some more when I walk into the next cartographer selling secure maps. I mean as long as buying multiple maps doesn't work and I already have these stacks in my inventory :shrug: