Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

staberind posted:

This is the most exotic thing I have found so far.

Squid ships are INCREDIBLY rare!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That ship is doooooope

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

it looks like some kind of kitchen implement

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I'm stil keeping my eye out for a squid for this save. My Next game I had a lovely blue one but that save is survival and gently caress 250 items per slot.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
My new favorite thing is to drop in on the Nexus, find all the people with the worst ships and transfer them millions of dollars worth of stuff

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Ratzap posted:

I'm stil keeping my eye out for a squid for this save. My Next game I had a lovely blue one but that save is survival and gently caress 250 items per slot.

Just go there with a portal. There shouldn't be any difference in ship generation between modes.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Also it took about an hour of searching, and once I found a planet (anomaly, w/indium deposits in description) I found an S class Indium hotspot in short order.

Another 30 minutes to set up harvesters and silos and power, and now I can harvest $50,000,000 worth of Indium every hour.

Anyone on Xbox is welcome to drop a teleporter and help themselves any time they like.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

VectorSigma posted:

Just go there with a portal. There shouldn't be any difference in ship generation between modes.

Good point. I just have to hope older me renamed the planet or system so I can load the save and figure out where to go.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ratzap posted:

Good point. I just have to hope older me renamed the planet or system so I can load the save and figure out where to go.

I think you mean younger you.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Powershift posted:

I think you mean younger you.

Possibly. Or I'm living backwards for tax purposes this decade.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
I’d always assumed the rooms behind the AtlasPass v2/v3 held something valuable and/or rare, but the majority of them seem to be some dudes hydroponics setup that only seems to give me carbon ? I have found a couple which lead to some sort of server room, but I don’t know how to craft the “Rememberance Key” yet. Has anyone got that yet?

Edit: whoa, the Atlas’s Pass v4 was a physical card? Pointless, but neat imo.. a bit bummed to have missed out on that.... several years ago :goleft:

Fantastipotamus fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 9, 2019

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I jumped through the hoops for the Atlas pass and didn’t get one :saddowns:

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

AirRaid posted:

I jumped through the hoops for the Atlas pass and didn’t get one :saddowns:
So it wasn’t even guaranteed? That sucks :( doesn’t even appear there are any on eBay.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Am I crazy or does the Freighter kind of just, screw up all sense of progression?

A single warp core gives it like 5 jumps, and you can jump to every star system type without needing to build a special engine like you do for your small ship. Needing to make 4-5 jumps to get to the next Atlas gate becomes a trivial activity when you basically don't have to do any prepwork.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Am I crazy or does the Freighter kind of just, screw up all sense of progression?

A single warp core gives it like 5 jumps, and you can jump to every star system type without needing to build a special engine like you do for your small ship. Needing to make 4-5 jumps to get to the next Atlas gate becomes a trivial activity when you basically don't have to do any prepwork.
I dig it, game is grindy enough without having to craft extra poo poo. Plus that's 3 slots I don't need to waste.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What's the overall impression on VR performance now? I haven't played since a few days after NEXT dropped, and I was one of the lucky ones with minimal performance issues on my OG Oculus. Is it more gooder for people with VR hats now?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

SubponticatePoster posted:

I dig it, game is grindy enough without having to craft extra poo poo. Plus that's 3 slots I don't need to waste.

Yeah I should clarify that less busywork isn't a BAD thing, but it feels like I have less reason to really go to random planets when you can reach your next goal immediately. I dunno. It's probably just a 'me' thing, I like exploring but I like tinkering on upgrades and stuff more so having the engine and warp drive upgrades be rendered essentially useless early on kinda bummed me out.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I've never felt this way, and there are a million other things that you have to grind, so not having to spend 45 seconds to build three warp drives seems reasonable to me as a reward for getting your own big rear end battleship.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah I should clarify that less busywork isn't a BAD thing, but it feels like I have less reason to really go to random planets when you can reach your next goal immediately. I dunno. It's probably just a 'me' thing, I like exploring but I like tinkering on upgrades and stuff more so having the engine and warp drive upgrades be rendered essentially useless early on kinda bummed me out.

Do you have an S-Class Captial Ship yet? Have you completely customized the interior of it yet? There's plenty of Freighter busy-work to do.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think my issue is more how early you get the welfare freighter that makes it weird to me. If it was something you got much later in the 'story' I don't think I'd have the same reaction.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think my issue is more how early you get the welfare freighter that makes it weird to me. If it was something you got much later in the 'story' I don't think I'd have the same reaction.

Well just because your parents gave you a 15 year old Honda Civic to get started on doesn't mean there's no reason to save up for a Mercedes!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I've yet to ever get a freighter. How do they look in VR? Are they big and fun looking? Tell me they're fun looking.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, you're right honestly. IDK why I'm even advocating for more busywork since it's not like it was fun or meaningful to do. It's definitely my own choice that I'm beelining for gates rather than exploring every sector now and not the game's fault for making itself slightly less tedious.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Here's a lovely picture of my beast:

Took me a dozen hours or so to find her, and only cost me a cool 180,000,000

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

chaosapiant posted:

I've yet to ever get a freighter. How do they look in VR? Are they big and fun looking? Tell me they're fun looking.

They are very big in VR, especially when you’re standing on a frigate catwalk looking at the outside . There are freighters at various levels of fun-looking but the wide star destroyer looking ones are far and away everyone’s favorite.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

chaosapiant posted:

What's the overall impression on VR performance now? I haven't played since a few days after NEXT dropped, and I was one of the lucky ones with minimal performance issues on my OG Oculus. Is it more gooder for people with VR hats now?

on my vive I get about 35% reprojection at full resolution and everything on Standard except for base complexity which is set to highest. 1080gtx and 7700.

It is fine, but I haven't bothered trying it on my Pimax as I figured it would be unplayable. But turning the render res down to 50% and hz to 72 makes it very very playable, and it will be difficult to go back to the lower FOV. Dogfights in the Pimax are insanely cool.

So yeah, it's fine basically.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

blarzgh posted:

Well just because your parents gave you a 15 year old Honda Civic to get started on doesn't mean there's no reason to save up for a Mercedes!

my freighter looks kinda like this except it's pink. love my big gay friggit.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

chaosapiant posted:

My performance is excellent now, and my launch performance was terrible. The issue is none of the visual mods seem to work (even with a VR Mod Enabler) so the game looks like total poo poo when you haven't modded the view distance. I also use a mod to remove the speed lines from pulse jumping because goddamn do those look like poo poo. A recent update broke the mod that lets you change the asteroids to be much smaller which I am pretty upset about. Why is space filled with these giant, low resolution turds?? The view distance + speed lines + asteroids is too much for me.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 9, 2019

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

chaosapiant posted:

It's more gooder. I'd say performance is still kinda underwhelming on my rig personally, but I can at least fly around surfaces a lot more smoothly now. And can enjoy the game generally, just on all low settings, and only 1.0 SS.

chaosapiant posted:

The inside's kinda 'shades of grey', but you can add your little bleeping stations and that everywhere, and there's the odd window. Flying out of them down the length of the ship can look grand. The best bit is this though...

haveblue posted:

They are very big in VR, especially when you’re standing on a frigate catwalk looking at the outside . There are freighters at various levels of fun-looking but the wide star destroyer looking ones are far and away everyone’s favorite.

Repairing the bonus frigates should be a total chore, but looking down on the planets and your freighter from the walkways makes it all worthwhile. Plus just flying around the cap ship swarms to check out new frigates to buy is all cool. (Aside from the endless chat boxes, that's pants...). Scale is good though.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

blarzgh posted:

Here's a lovely picture of my beast:

Took me a dozen hours or so to find her, and only cost me a cool 180,000,000
Nice.. reminds me a little of Event Horizon. Can’t wait to get that Gravity Drive tech module installed, lot of potential there.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
They need to dial back the asteroid fields a bit, they’re a bit overplayed atm

Would be cool if there were some planets that were just gas giants, or planets with insane gravity or atmospheric pressure (or next to none)

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

ROFLBOT posted:

Would be cool if there were some planets that were just gas giants, or planets with insane gravity or atmospheric pressure (or next to none)

I guess they have to balance it because it's a game but it would be funny if you tried to land on a planet and your ship was instantly crushed like a soda can.

Maybe they could do something like a Cybertron Transformers planet or a sentient planet that eats other planets. How about a Dyson sphere?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
A planet filled with sentient vacuum cleaners?

(Yes I know what a Dyson sphere is)

So I was playing last night with my little girl watching. I was digging up buried tech and she asks what I need that for. I said “blueprint data”. She asks “Blueberry potatoes?” Then runs off to shout to her mother “daddy’s getting blueberry potatoes!”

So now I dig for potatoes.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 10, 2019

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Absolutely adorable.

One thing that's a bit encouraging is that, with the recent patches, they've fixed issues people were certain would just linger in the game forever. Nothing is perfect yet, but there's genuine engagement in the game, and that makes me happy.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

ROFLBOT posted:

They need to dial back the asteroid fields a bit, they’re a bit overplayed atm

I'm pretty sure I've been on a moon with very low gravity

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah, doing the melee jump thing lets you pull some loving insane jumps on low-gravity moons (and then shatter your legs)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty annoyed with the gravity thing, but solely because I spent a bunch of hours building a meticulously engineered race track on the moon with my farm, and now that the gravity is lower after the Beyond update, all the jumps and ramps go flying over the next checkpoints! Its totally unusable :(

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Last night I summoned my freighter (same model as blarzgh's beast) and one of the frigates ended up parked right alongside it, so I landed and walked around to one of the pads on the near side. That's probably the best thing I've ever seen in VR, standing in a small open area while a huge ship looms up on one side and a WAY HUGER ship looms up on the other. It really felt like it was a mile long and looking down into the gap between them gave me a bit of vertigo.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
how do frigates work exactly? I always see "hireable frigates" that I can highlight with the trackpad but I can't work out how to interact with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

The Walrus posted:

how do frigates work exactly? I always see "hireable frigates" that I can highlight with the trackpad but I can't work out how to interact with them

fly close to the ones you can hire and they'll talk to you via starship communicator. You can then have a look at the frigate.