Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Suzaku posted:

And red is one of the worst for coverage. Most reds are pretty translucent. If you shade, you can mitigate some of that by building up from yellow and orange bases instead of straight white or grey.

And if you want a bright vibrant red, you pretty much have to start with a white base and go from there.

most of the parts were primer -> color though i did do primer -> black -> gold for those pieces. youre saying that for stuff like red i should put a orange or yellow before it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why hello yellow Harello.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Yeah, I'm really happy with the direction they're taking Haropla. Especially if they keep puttong out the retro style boxes.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Release an MG Zakrello you cowards!!!!!

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

RillAkBea posted:

Yeah, I'm really happy with the direction they're taking Haropla. Especially if they keep puttong out the retro style boxes.

I think the retro boxes are my favourite part TBH.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I just finished building the MG F90, and I have to say it's quite a shame they didn't make it a general release. The color separation is pretty drat amazing. Even the tiniest of vents has the yellow lining and even on the shield they've gone to great lengths to get all the colors in. I'm also quite surprised at how closely they stuck to the original design as it is one of those slightly overcomplicated early 90s designs.

Unfortunately the mission packs appear to be a bit stickery, but I like the idea of them actually making all 26 and I'm intrigued to see if they'll actually get through them all. Though I won't be buying another 25 F90s to put them all on display, I'm satisfies with the base figure enough that I wouldn't mind building another one or two.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Kuvo posted:

most of the parts were primer -> color though i did do primer -> black -> gold for those pieces. youre saying that for stuff like red i should put a orange or yellow before it?

Orange, yellow or white are the bases for red, anything else and its hell. You can get away with a very light grey, but that gives you a particular type of red. They'll all give you different results as well so I recommend spraying a couple of plastic spoons and seeing what the final product will look like so you can go with the one you like best. For a bright red you pretty much have to go white first. Yellow and orange are also generally best on a white base too, but it depends on the yellow you're going for and a light grey base is fine for some of the less bright ones.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Null of Undefined posted:

Release an MG Zakrello you cowards!!!!!

:yeah:

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

RillAkBea posted:

Unfortunately the mission packs appear to be a bit stickery

Oh that's a real shame

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

picked up the RG Nu and finally got around to making the prettiest possible RG diorama

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

K Prime posted:

picked up the RG Nu and finally got around to making the prettiest possible RG diorama

your screen makes me want a char's counterattack crossover with granblue now

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Merilan posted:

your screen makes me want a char's counterattack crossover with granblue now

Hey, Granblue already has someone going beyond the bounds. Why not go beyond the time as well?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm building the new HG Destiny and it's a very quick build with some impressive posability.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Azubah posted:

I'm building the new HG Destiny and it's a very quick build with some impressive posability.

The range of motion in the shoulders, forearms, and torso is really great. I hope we see more engineering like that in future HGs. Between the HG Destiny and the 30 Minute Missions kits Bandai's really been turning out some amazingly poseable kits lately.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/davidpaulk/status/1171231565264801793

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Should've picked a better gundam, though.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Bandai have announced they're opening a second Gundam Base in west Japan.

https://www.gundam-base.net/news/9310.html?_ga=2.179180260.111098865.1568108167-207830887.1560322184

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Is it wrong that I tried to reach into the screen to fix the godawful pose they left it in?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

TaurusOxford posted:

Is it wrong that I tried to reach into the screen to fix the godawful pose they left it in?

Gotta be a Gunpla Newtype

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Maybe that's just how police in Shanghai pose when they're on the lookout for counterfeit gunpla

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Predictable enough but RG Crossbone X-2 went to PB.

https://p-bandai.jp/hobby/special-1000010985/

They also put up non-sleeves HG Sinanji Stein recently which is nice.

https://p-bandai.jp/hobby/special-1000010966/

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

RillAkBea posted:

Predictable enough but RG Crossbone X-2 went to PB.

https://p-bandai.jp/hobby/special-1000010985/

That sticker on the front is such a loving lie. That chest is so curved and the sticker had no cuts to allow it to conform to the curve. It's the only sticker I can't apply to my RG Crossbone and I loving hate it.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
4th kit is done, the RG Unicorn! The reason I started building was to eventually do this kit, and here I am making decent straight builds that make me smile.

WIP thread starts here: https://twitter.com/Gen_Ironicus/status/1165759146177835008

Finished pics start at this point: https://twitter.com/Gen_Ironicus/status/1170016724130947074

So the downside is the peg-and-hole joint that connect the right arm to the inside of the chest popped so I have to be very careful rotating that arm (thin coat of super glue to reinforce the hole, thin coat of acrylic nail polish to thicken the peg), any time I try to pose it in Destroy mode I end up covering up a bit of psychoframe, and the head is basically immobile which really limits goofy poses. But, I love this kit. Everything does something. It's solid, the moving parts are fascinating. Everything slid into place just right. I think the RGs might become my preferred line, and I can't wait to build that Nu.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

RGs really are a solid line, yeah. I tend to like suits with really fragile things like wings and even the ones I've done aren't that much of a pain compared to when they appear on other lines, and I've seen reviews say the RG Nu's Fin Funnels (which are traditionally notoriously loose) solidly lock into place.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

General Ironicus posted:

4th kit is done, the RG Unicorn! The reason I started building was to eventually do this kit, and here I am making decent straight builds that make me smile.

WIP thread starts here: https://twitter.com/Gen_Ironicus/status/1165759146177835008

Finished pics start at this point: https://twitter.com/Gen_Ironicus/status/1170016724130947074

So the downside is the peg-and-hole joint that connect the right arm to the inside of the chest popped so I have to be very careful rotating that arm (thin coat of super glue to reinforce the hole, thin coat of acrylic nail polish to thicken the peg), any time I try to pose it in Destroy mode I end up covering up a bit of psychoframe, and the head is basically immobile which really limits goofy poses. But, I love this kit. Everything does something. It's solid, the moving parts are fascinating. Everything slid into place just right. I think the RGs might become my preferred line, and I can't wait to build that Nu.

Unicorn is one of the best RG kits but I think that the Tallgeese is my favourite so far.

I have the Nu and Saz waiting to get built, but I really want to pain them to do them justice but it's all too much :effort: right now.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure once I've finished Tallgeese I'm going to find myself buying Sazabi and Nu. But I've had Hugeduck for over a year and still only done the lower half...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Puddin posted:

Unicorn is one of the best RG kits but I think that the Tallgeese is my favourite so far.

I have the Nu and Saz waiting to get built, but I really want to pain them to do them justice but it's all too much :effort: right now.

The Sazabi and the Nu look amazing even if all you do is apply the stickers. With the multiple whites on the Nu, it would be pretty tricky to find the paints to make it look right without extensive planning.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

chiasaur11 posted:

The Sazabi and the Nu look amazing even if all you do is apply the stickers. With the multiple whites on the Nu, it would be pretty tricky to find the paints to make it look right without extensive planning.

True, I had an idea for a colour scheme other than standard. But I'll probavly just end up doing a straight build.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
https://www.uniqlo.com/au/store/catalogsearch/result/?q=Gundam

Have at it boys.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Agh, they don't ship to New Zealand right now. That's pretty frustrating. :(

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I almost forgot. I guess I have something to do at lunchtime now.

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

They've sold out of the RX-78 shirts in my size here in the US. :argh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A reminder if you're in Melbourne that this weekend is Madfest, so you might want to get those shirts today before a couple thousand nerds descend upon the city and exhibition center.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I got mine today, went with the collage rx78, zgok, blue zaku and Amuro.

Would have liked the white rx78 but I have an aversion to white shirts.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I got myself a Ramba Ral, Amuro and green Zaku.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Anyone have any tips for keeping pieces dust free while painting/weathering/assembling over like 3 months? (I work hella slow)

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Gosh, the new HG Sandrock looks pretty god drat good.

http://schizophonic9.com/re5/hgac_sandrock.html

Definitely gonna have to pick that up. Hopefully Bandai will slip us another one or two wing suits before the Hathaway's Flash tie-in hathalanche clogs up the release schedule.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Null of Undefined posted:

Anyone have any tips for keeping pieces dust free while painting/weathering/assembling over like 3 months? (I work hella slow)

I’d throw all the in-progress parts into some ziplock containers or bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I've been have a real struggle to get my airbrushed whites to come out looking even remotely how I like them (which is to say, not awful, I have fairly low standards). I've tried both Tamiya and Mr Color Acrylic at various thinning levels and pressures and I can't seem to find the sweet spot that looks at least serviceable. It seems like the white runs across the piece far more than any other color and tends to pool on the edges. I'm not sure what the issue is because I never really had issues with my white on either of the two other models I've done. This may also just be me being bad at airbrushing. It is probably me just being bad at airbrushing.

I have a couple of bottles of Vellejo Mecha Color sitting at home that I'm going to give a shot this weekend. Is it likely that I'm trying to get too much coverage too quick and that I need to slow down and do more layers? Should I give lacquers a shot? Basically at this point I'm never going to paint a gunpla white or anything remotely white again because it is a giant pain in the butt and I'm frustrated even talking about it and I've restarted this specific model twice already.