Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Alright. What mods are y’all playing for NV? I need that itch scratched and I’d like there to be enough new toys to play with so it at least feels somewhat fresh the 6th time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
i just work off of rikas guide whenever i decide to play & mod fnv

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ci3sNT0wcrbjETw4sM7JqlK-zmcjoLqJFSjqhmTjk_0/htmlview

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

the problem with total conversion mods for fallout games is that the people who can write a good and satisfying script for one could do that for a living instead so you’ll end up with fanfic grade dialogue and narratives

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Been playing New Vegas again, and while it's nice having companions to carry your loot, they make combat too easy so I tell them to stay in place.

I just wish there was a mod where you have a dedicated button to have companions wait in place/head towards you like in Resident Evil 4 so I don't have to keep going back to where I left them all the time.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

You might be looking for JIP Companions Command and Control

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

So I'm modding up for a new playthrough of NV, and I'm going to try NV reloaded because Oblivion Reloaded is a miracle and... are you loving kidding me? Luckily there's an INI option to disable that but... sheesh. The alternate menu BG they did for Oblivion fit Oblivion and this... really doesn't.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
What is this Michael bay wet dream bullshit?

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

lol, that feels like one of those generic trailers on Netflix with stock music.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Agents are GO! posted:

So I'm modding up for a new playthrough of NV, and I'm going to try NV reloaded because Oblivion Reloaded is a miracle and... are you loving kidding me? Luckily there's an INI option to disable that but... sheesh. The alternate menu BG they did for Oblivion fit Oblivion and this... really doesn't.

Wow that title screen music sure is... something. Almost feels right out of a low budget shovel-ware game honestly, with how generic it is, combined with video of the opening movie.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

Is there... anything else that's changed in that video except for the music and main menu??? It looks to be about the same as vanilla to me.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
You clearly have never heard the soft mellow haunting single guitar strings of the original menu because that generic self important trumpet guff is comically out of place.

I do confess though I enjoy and use that loading screen set up but that is a separate mod.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
smdh at anyone who didn't replace their menu music with trolololo

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

You clearly have never heard the soft mellow haunting single guitar strings of the original menu because that generic self important trumpet guff is comically out of place.

I'm not sure if you're replying to me but... I literally mentioned that the music was changed?
:confused:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What mod would change the music? Inon Zur's Vegas theme was perfect

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

What mod would change the music? Inon Zur's Vegas theme was perfect
it was so good they reused it in fallout 4 as the default settlement theme

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I changed mine to Home On The Wastes

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

2house2fly posted:

I changed mine to Home On The Wastes

A good choice.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Is there... anything else that's changed in that video except for the music and main menu??? It looks to be about the same as vanilla to me.

It's a lot more subtle than Oblivion Reloaded, and mostly post-processing that's less intensive than ENB.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I never got Oblivion Reloaded 7.0 to work. all the guides recommend you to use 6.5 (might be a decimal off), but that one was removed at some point

Like it crashes the game on startup even with all of its features disabled

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

Like it crashes the game on startup even with all of its features disabled
Crash before the main menu is pretty much always the game missing a plugin. So you likely missed a requirement.

If the crash happens when you start / load a game the mod is probably hosed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I would use something like FNVEdit to locate a missing plugin.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'm very much familiar with the usual reasons for crashes in startup, it's just that OR (particularly 7) is notoriously crashtastic and was likely experiencing a fundamental incompatibility with something (it's usually Blockhead but disabling it didn't seem to make a difference)

That said while writing this I realized I'm fairly sure it crashed on load/new game rather than startup, as I can distinctly remember seeing the new main menu with the cinematic trailer footage

It's been a few months since I modded oblivion and most of the memories have gotten kinda foggy, so it's probably not the best time for troubleshooting

(I use Wrye Bash/BAIN for installing Oblivion mods plus a variety of other commonly recommended programs like TESIVEdit, BOSS etc)

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 18, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chitoryu12 posted:

I would use something like FNVEdit to locate a missing plugin.

If you have a save file Mod Organizer will identify any missing plugins.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is tale of two wastelands worth using at all now? I tried it a long time ago and it was cool, it has since had some major updates.

But at the time it was a game crash simulator. Wondering if I should try again vs installing both games with respective mods.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sylink posted:

Is tale of two wastelands worth using at all now? I tried it a long time ago and it was cool, it has since had some major updates.

But at the time it was a game crash simulator. Wondering if I should try again vs installing both games with respective mods.

yeah, it's really good now. Only way to play FO3 now, imo.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

He's serious default F3 does not like Windows 10 and the end of GAMES FOR WINDOWS and it has never been fixed.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Tale of two wastelands with jsawyer was actually surprisingly fun, makes the final bits of the main plot really rough though because everyone has power armor and plasma weapons which uhh, isnt really a thing new vegas was designed around you needing to fight a lot of at once.

Also liberty prime kept walking into the ocean and breaking the quest so i needed to reload but this was years ago so i assume they fixed that bug.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

in the new version of TTW the only new vegas weaponry that shows up in the capital wasteland now is the riot shotgun, gone are the random brush guns and antimateriel rifles that talon company graciously donates to you to make the main quest less of a slog

a cool thing they did do in the new version is create a new "un-broken" mesh for the .308 hunting rifle and brought back the .32 hunting rifle as a low tier weapon, also the fallout 3 sawed off is its own weapon now and is a 20 gauge version of the new vegas sawed off shotgun

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 22, 2019

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I mean you may need to roll with some mods for it but it is a good stable blast with the downside of a)giving you fatigue as you work towards doing everything from both games and b)STOP loving RESPAWNING AT THE EAST COAST TRAIN STATION gently caress feeling of having roll the same two Mutant and Enclave spawns ever so wisely stuck there.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

in the new version of TTW the only new vegas weaponry that shows up in the capital wasteland now is the riot shotgun, gone are the random brush guns and antimateriel rifles that talon company graciously donates to you to make the main quest less of a slog

a cool thing they did do in the new version is create a new "un-broken" mesh for the .308 hunting rifle and brought back the .32 hunting rifle as a low tier weapon, also the fallout 3 sawed off is its own weapon now and is a 20 gauge version of the new vegas sawed off shotgun

This is nuts, why would they prevent New Vegas weapons from showing up in F3 when the whole point is to play F3 with New Vegas stuff?!

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Finding different guns in different regions is kinda cool conceptually i guess, even if in practice you kinda just want them all to be there.

Does it at least give you access to the different ammo types when you're in the fallout 3 bit? Because that would go a long way towards fixing the bullet sponginess of base F3 enemies.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

SeanBeansShako posted:

I mean you may need to roll with some mods for it but it is a good stable blast with the downside of a)giving you fatigue as you work towards doing everything from both games and b)STOP loving RESPAWNING AT THE EAST COAST TRAIN STATION gently caress feeling of having roll the same two Mutant and Enclave spawns ever so wisely stuck there.

They still have all of those super mutants at the train station? That crap pissed me off so much when I first tried out TTW in like 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Clever Spambot posted:

Finding different guns in different regions is kinda cool conceptually i guess, even if in practice you kinda just want them all to be there.

Does it at least give you access to the different ammo types when you're in the fallout 3 bit? Because that would go a long way towards fixing the bullet sponginess of base F3 enemies.

I don't know if it gives you them as loot, but they planted reloading benches throughout DC so you can craft them yourself. It's essentially playing Fallout 3 inside New Vegas so all the ammo and crafting is the same as in there. Like the .32 Revolver is now in .22 and the Hunting Rifles are all .308.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Internet Wizard posted:

They still have all of those super mutants at the train station? That crap pissed me off so much when I first tried out TTW in like 2015

I downloaded and installed in late 2018 so maybe they are gone now? But the novelty of fighting those drat high level super mutants AND a high level enclave patrol wore thin after the 4th time.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't know if it gives you them as loot, but they planted reloading benches throughout DC so you can craft them yourself. It's essentially playing Fallout 3 inside New Vegas so all the ammo and crafting is the same as in there. Like the .32 Revolver is now in .22 and the Hunting Rifles are all .308.
New version (TTW 3) restores the .32 ammo and the weapons that use it.

Clever Spambot posted:

There's new ammo for the .32 as well.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
I remember hearing about issues with savebloat in this game, is there a good go-to mod for preventing the hangs/crashes you can get late in a run?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Mr. Maggy posted:

I remember hearing about issues with savebloat in this game, is there a good go-to mod for preventing the hangs/crashes you can get late in a run?
Savebloat isn't a thing with New Vegas.
It is a potential problem with the Creation Engine (Skyrim/FO4) where, due to how Papyrus works, badly written scripts can cause bloat.
There were/are problems on the console version of F:NV related to the save file (PS3 in particular). But really the problem there was the last console generation's really tight memory budget. PCs even back then had way more RAM available.

You should check out NVAC (New Vegas Anti Crash) though for general crash/freeze prevention.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Even if savebloat isn't a thing, you can use this mod to do your own saving without relying on the auto or quicksave.

Unrelated issue: I'm using the Low Profile Armor mod, and now all the NCR troopers are wearing the full-face Metro helmets instead of their usual helmet-and-goggle combo (probably because it's got a higher DT). Can I fix this?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Looking for advice, I set up New Vegas using the Viva New Vegas mod guide (Core, Visuals and Gameplay modules) and it's mostly fine apart from one annoying bug where the level up menu won't appear unless I save, quit the game and reload.

Also, I'm on the fence about whether or not to keep using this setup, have any other goons tried it?

e: Just saw the list linked further up, is that the current goon go-to?

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I had that level up bug once but I couldn't tell you what caused it. Before I revamped my modlist I remember using a mod that added a button press to open the level up menu so it wasn't automatic.
Here it is: Delay Level Up