Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

spankmeister posted:

I use 3073, because it's twice as good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

spankmeister posted:

I use 3073, because it's twice as good

Cyberpunk poo poo.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

e: who uses 3072?

only the coolest of crypto cats

so not me obviously

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
i only use one-time pads :colbert:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

today, I write my second ever vuln disclosure

I'm not even trying to look for these, I'm just stumbling over bugs

holy loving poo poo Dell, Jesus Christ what the gently caress

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

the NIST P curves aren't very good, should be using x25519 if your stuff supports it. Apparently P-521 is an absolute mess, so the recommended ordering is generally x25519, P-384, P-256

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
my p curve is just fine tyvm

:colbert:

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

cracking a 256-bit key sounds cool until you specify that it's an RSA key

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
LMAO, I didn't even notice: The paper is by a Crownsterling researcher.

Its the Time AI guys again. The guys who got booed out at Black Hat.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

CommieGIR posted:

LMAO, I didn't even notice: The paper is by a Crownsterling researcher.

Its the Time AI guys again. The guys who got booed out at Black Hat.

That was the first thing I noticed, because it just makes it all the better.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Volmarias posted:

That was the first thing I noticed, because it just makes it all the better.

Apparently someone noticed too that the guys screenshots match one of the original RSA cracking sessions, so this may even be a straight plagarism.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

CommieGIR posted:

Apparently someone noticed too that the guys screenshots match one of the original RSA cracking sessions, so this may even be a straight plagarism.

Not just someone but Tavis.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Bruce:

quote:

Earlier this month I made fun of a company called Crown-Sterling, for...for...for being a company that deserves being made fun of.

This morning, the company announced that they "decrypted two 256-bit asymmetric public keys in approximately 50 seconds from a standard laptop computer." Really. They did. This keylength is so small it has never been considered secure. It was too small to be part of the RSA Factoring Challenge when it was introduced in 1991. In 1977, when Ron Rivest, Adi Shamir, and Len Adelman first described RSA, they included a challenge with a 426-bit key. (It was factored in 1994.)

The press release goes on: "Crown Sterling also announced the consistent decryption of 512-bit asymmetric public key in as little as five hours also using standard computing." They didn't demonstrate it, but if they're right they've matched a factoring record set in 1999. Five hours is significantly less than the 5.2 months it took in 1999, but slower than would be expected if Crown-Sterling just used the 1999 techniques with modern CPUs and networks.

Is anyone taking this company seriously anymore? I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was a hoax press release. It's not currently on the company's website. (And, if it is a hoax, I apologize to Crown Sterling. I'll post a retraction as soon as I hear from you.)

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2019/09/crown_sterling_.html

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

Is anyone taking this company seriously anymore? I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was a hoax press release. It's not currently on the company's website.

when i was trying to find the full version of their stupid paper about prime numbers it was really fuckin' hard to find on their website too, so lol i think they're just incompetent all around

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
it's tempting to register clownsterling.io

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Lain Iwakura posted:

:yeshaha:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

factoring a 256 bit rsa key sounds like an interesting exercise for an undergrad

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I used RSA 256 as toy keys to test out my distributed factoring code because I knew I could crack them in under a minute.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

NSA Recommended

no thanks

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Nomnom Cookie posted:

factoring a 256 bit rsa key sounds like an interesting exercise for an clown, in a circus

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

no thanks

I'm telling the NSA on you!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Lain Iwakura posted:

do it

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
welp
https://twitter.com/malwaretechblog/status/1175240305844424704

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

please jiggle mouse to continue booting

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
do motherboards/cpus come with hardware prngs or not? also why not use uefi to store/restore prng seeds?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
the latest amd cpus literally came with a hardware rng that always returns -1

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
why would they need a prng when you can just implement an identical one in software? if you're gonna build special hardware you might as well make it a real rng, that uses an unstable flipflop or something that randomly goes one way or the other

alternatively, keep a running counter, and generate your random bits by encrypting it with a key known only to you and the nsa

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

do motherboards/cpus come with hardware prngs or not? also why not use uefi to store/restore prng seeds?

nobody trusts rdrand because it came around right around the same time as the Snowden leaks

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Soricidus posted:

that number was carefully selected with several dice rolls by a committee

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

nobody trusts rdrand because it came around right around the same time as the Snowden leaks
Who said you only have to trust one source?
On FreeBSD, it goes through the same whitening process as every other source of random data (*), each of which is then individually fed into one of the many queues Fortuna accepts - so that as long as there is at least one good source of randomness for the system, /dev/random is well-seeded.

*: Software interrupts, hardware interrupts, netgraph (BPF) network activity (such as broadcast fragments, broadcast arp, other noise on a normal network connection), ethernet jitter, VTI traffic, mouse (the small vibrations that naturally occur when moving it around), keyboard (the always-variable delta between when buttons are pressed), device attaches, plus a user-definable cache by default, and UMA data and filesystem access-time can be enabled.
Plus, there's a bunch of hardware PRNGs supported via various system busses.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

D. Ebdrup posted:

Who said you only have to trust one source?
On FreeBSD, it goes through the same whitening process as every other source of random data (*), each of which is then individually fed into one of the many queues Fortuna accepts - so that as long as there is at least one good source of randomness for the system, /dev/random is well-seeded.

*: Software interrupts, hardware interrupts, netgraph (BPF) network activity (such as broadcast fragments, broadcast arp, other noise on a normal network connection), ethernet jitter, VTI traffic, mouse (the small vibrations that naturally occur when moving it around), keyboard (the always-variable delta between when buttons are pressed), device attaches, plus a user-definable cache by default, and UMA data and filesystem access-time can be enabled.
Plus, there's a bunch of hardware PRNGs supported via various system busses.

yes I too just read the Wikipedia article, I just figured I’d summarize the important part and not do what you did

mystes
May 31, 2006

infernal machines posted:

possibly the world's most effective malware scheme

there is basically no way to inoculate users against opening documents from someone they trust, doubly so as part of an ongoing conversation.
For some reason I didn't think about saying this earlier, but I feel like I should mention that this is a good reason for companies to completely disable VBA (I believe you can do this with policies), although this will probably make some people in the company mad.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
but then how will we run our expense reporting tool

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

mystes posted:

For some reason I didn't think about saying this earlier, but I feel like I should mention that this is a good reason for companies to completely disable VBA (I believe you can do this with policies), although this will probably make some people in the company mad.

there’s a gpo that disables all macros with mark of web and allows you to whitelist sites/network shares. there’s zero excuse for this poo poo infecting companies

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

mystes posted:

I still get security questionnaires from our clients that are huge macro-enabled excel spreadsheets.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

geonetix posted:

that number was carefully selected with several dice rolls by a committee

well then that's the problem right there, they rolled one time too many and got an overflow

mystes
May 31, 2006

ewiley posted:

I still get security questionnaires from our clients that are huge macro-enabled excel spreadsheets.
You should only pass if you tell them it doesn't work on your computers.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yes I too just read the Wikipedia article, I just figured I’d summarize the important part and not do what you did
Clearly you need to use FreeBSD instead of just reading the article. :smugbert:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ewiley posted:

microsoft's own preliminary license audit forms are exactly this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Soricidus posted:

Are you sure it always returns -1?