Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Prestige_T/status/1174415349929824256

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

gently caress man this is some real fascist poo poo

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

mediaphage posted:

I’m not being glib, I’m just putting it in the proper scope. The nitrogen counts from what I read were ~ 180 ppm. That’s not nothing but neither is it some kind of water table-ending catastrophe. I’m not sure why you think I’m being glib when I repeatedly say all these people should be fired over this.

I see this differently. I see a group ignoring a predictable waste outcome of their processes and a known part of their waste management plan for who knows what reason, it certainly wasn't expensive to mitigate, just water it down. This is a group that a week ago (more or less) was outed as committing fraud to replicate was is apparently 30 year-old technology on a small scale. The PI of this group is obviously unqualified and some qualified outside source (even outside the group and within Media Lab) could have caught the problem before it blew up in the media after the pedophile money. The waste problem is a symptom of this greater problem (uncritical review of the PI's work).

quote:

To the extent that the media labs problems are related, I said before that I don’t think any kind of outside inspection/ regulation is going to do much. After all, it’s a university. The biggest problem as I see it is the way it gets funded. Nobody setting policy for a lab should be involved in raising private funding outside of applying for grants with a paper trail.

These three sentences make me think you've never worked at a university. Grants are absolutely peer reviewed and universities take waste management seriously because they have so many potential failure points. So, your statement here, that bringing in outside peer review and vigorous H&S standards won't do much as compared to changing the funding mechanism (that will bring in outside peer review and vigorous H&S) is nonsense. Changing the funding mechanism is a good thing precisely because it will institute the changes you don't think will help.

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 20, 2019

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Prestige_T/status/1174684193676234753

I'm not following the logic here. How does the battery level relate to a sudden spike in demand?

e: Oh wait I see, that's the BS part and what they're really measuring is how desperate you are to accept the fare. Evil.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you're going to be more anxious to get to somewhere to charge your phone is the logic most likely.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, instead of being trapped in the middle of nowhere with no phone, you will accept an expensive ride.

That's (evil) genius.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Uber should detect the type of phone you have and charge you more.

That sentence is gonna be my entire resume when i apply uber

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

There are persistent rumors that they do that. Which is why I'm a little skeptical that that price difference is keying on battery life rather than phone model--not that they wouldn't do it, but there are a lot of potentially conflating factors.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

They'll use the idea and not hire you

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I was never able to find a study on this but I remember there being a rumor that you shouldn’t shop for plane tickets and other variable cost services on an iOS or MacOS device because they would raise the prices assuming you had more disposable income from owning Apple products.

I think the justification to do that was that the App Store makes a lot more money than the Google Play store, or something.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
New app idea: Fake the identification your computer returns to a website to get the best prices.

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008

BarbarianElephant posted:

New app idea: Fake the identification your computer returns to a website to get the best prices.

This sort of thing has been happening for years: https://www.cnet.com/news/mac-users-pay-more-than-pc-users-says-orbitz/

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

MickeyFinn posted:

I see this differently. I see a group ignoring a predictable waste outcome of their processes and a known part of their waste management plan for who knows what reason, it certainly wasn't expensive to mitigate, just water it down. This is a group that a week ago (more or less) was outed as committing fraud to replicate was is apparently 30 year-old technology on a small scale. The PI of this group is obviously unqualified and some qualified outside source (even outside the group and within Media Lab) could have caught the problem before it blew up in the media after the pedophile money. The waste problem is a symptom of this greater problem (uncritical review of the PI's work).

These three sentences make me think you've never worked at a university. Grants are absolutely peer reviewed and universities take waste management seriously because they have so many potential failure points. So, your statement here, that bringing in outside peer review and vigorous H&S standards won't do much as compared to changing the funding mechanism (that will bring in outside peer review and vigorous H&S) is nonsense. Changing the funding mechanism is a good thing precisely because it will institute the changes you don't think will help.

Thanks for talking down to me. I'm not saying there's not a need for some kind of oversight, I just don't think it comes from "Media Lab needs to be investigated" so much as it needs a systemic restructuring. I argue that the the waste problem and the lack of review both stem from the way the lab is funded precisely because it cuts out proper audits. There's a lot less external oversight if you focus your funding on pedophiles attempting to whitewash themselves.

"Peer review" of an unpublished research project doesn't mean much if the PI is lying about the waste disposal. It's hardly the first time. And I've definitely worked in research labs where rules get bent when it comes to waste disposal and there's functionally no way for anyone to know about it unless someone comes forward. I don't have a way to prove that, I guess, though, so believe what you want.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

AFashionableHat posted:

Oh good, so Chef (ask your local sysadmin for details) is outing themselves as chuds.

https://twitter.com/BlueSpaceCanary/status/1174895842416709632

One of the more well-known people in the devops community pulled his code that works with Chef in protest. Naturally, the freethinking, just-asking-questions, apolitical-it's-about-the-tech types are livid with him, and not with the baby jailers, as he is Not Following The Spirit Of Open Source, which is a curious misunderstanding that just so happens to line up with the rest of their curious misunderstandings.

Lol are there any non-terrible tech companies left at all

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

mediaphage posted:

Thanks for talking down to me. I'm not saying there's not a need for some kind of oversight, I just don't think it comes from "Media Lab needs to be investigated" so much as it needs a systemic restructuring. I argue that the the waste problem and the lack of review both stem from the way the lab is funded precisely because it cuts out proper audits. There's a lot less external oversight if you focus your funding on pedophiles attempting to whitewash themselves.

Who says media lab needs to be investigated? And you most certainly did not argue this in your post, you explicitly say the audits won't do much: "I don't think it means that the Lab needs outside review just because this followed soon after the Epstein things." No one is saying this would be ok without Epstein's money. If anyone arguing that the Ag Lab's problems would be ok if it weren't for Epstein, it's you.

quote:

"Peer review" of an unpublished research project doesn't mean much if the PI is lying about the waste disposal. It's hardly the first time. And I've definitely worked in research labs where rules get bent when it comes to waste disposal and there's functionally no way for anyone to know about it unless someone comes forward. I don't have a way to prove that, I guess, though, so believe what you want.

Grant applications are peer reviewed. If this lovely PI had tried to get funding through a grant proposal process, it seems like he very likely would have failed. All the attendant problems could have been solved. He might have slipped through, no system is perfect, but it is less likely.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

MickeyFinn posted:

Who says media lab needs to be investigated? And you most certainly did not argue this in your post, you explicitly say the audits won't do much: "I don't think it means that the Lab needs outside review just because this followed soon after the Epstein things." No one is saying this would be ok without Epstein's money. If anyone arguing that the Ag Lab's problems would be ok if it weren't for Epstein, it's you.

Grant applications are peer reviewed. If this lovely PI had tried to get funding through a grant proposal process, it seems like he very likely would have failed. All the attendant problems could have been solved. He might have slipped through, no system is perfect, but it is less likely.

This got started because of a call for Media Lab to get outside review. I don't think an "outside review" of Media Lab as an organization is going to do a damned thing. Who's going to be the outside review for the entire department of a university? MIT could easily handle all of this in-house, might as well see what they do with it.

I don't think a grant proposal is going to catch a prof who's lying about waste disposal. Even then, you keep arguing that the grant applications will solve all of this. They get their $75 million budget from private donors.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

AFashionableHat posted:

There are persistent rumors that they do that. Which is why I'm a little skeptical that that price difference is keying on battery life rather than phone model--not that they wouldn't do it, but there are a lot of potentially conflating factors.

brb gettin a broke rear end nokia and fat rear end battery

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Pochoclo posted:

I wouldn’t be at my current employer if we were, and I’m our data and privacy lead so I’d know. I’m the most excited person in the company for GDPR compliance, it makes my job so much easier.

I’m also lucky, though, in that I’m at a place in my career where I can tell a company to pound sand and not really encounter much inconvenience for doing so.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pochoclo posted:

AFashionableHat posted:

I wouldn’t be at my current employer if we were, and I’m our data and privacy lead so I’d know. I’m the most excited person in the company for GDPR compliance, it makes my job so much easier.

I’m also lucky, though, in that I’m at a place in my career where I can tell a company to pound sand and not really encounter much inconvenience for doing so.

Does DuckDuckGo count? They seem reasonable. I like the people behind Ghost, too.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

mediaphage posted:

This got started because of a call for Media Lab to get outside review. I don't think an "outside review" of Media Lab as an organization is going to do a damned thing. Who's going to be the outside review for the entire department of a university? MIT could easily handle all of this in-house, might as well see what they do with it.

Yes, the people proposing projects at Media Lab should have those proposals reviewed, by peers in the fields they work in. A kind of "peer review," if you will. The normal kind of review of academic proposals.

quote:

I don't think a grant proposal is going to catch a prof who's lying about waste disposal. Even then, you keep arguing that the grant applications will solve all of this. They get their $75 million budget from private donors.

The waste disposal is a symptom of an idiot PI. I hope he isn't going to put "we'll dump all our waste illegally" in his proposals, that he isn't writing because Media Lab gets its money from billionaires.

Your thought process is in the right place, but all the details in your posts are weird.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Ripoff posted:

I was never able to find a study on this but I remember there being a rumor that you shouldn’t shop for plane tickets and other variable cost services on an iOS or MacOS device because they would raise the prices assuming you had more disposable income from owning Apple products.

I think the justification to do that was that the App Store makes a lot more money than the Google Play store, or something.

wanna do this on my 486 to see if I can get paid to take flights

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Peanut Butler posted:

The algo would peg you as having high disposable income if you bring a 486 online, putt you in a high price bracket.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Peanut Butler posted:

There has to be a browser extension that lets you fake this. There also needs to be laws against such practices, although it seems like a longshot getting anything like this passed. It exploits the basic assumption that prices are the same for everyone, as they would be in a physical store. Maybe a company getting caught red handed changing prices for racist or sexist reasons would spur enough public outrage.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

ponzicar posted:

There has to be a browser extension that lets you fake this. There also needs to be laws against such practices, although it seems like a longshot getting anything like this passed. It exploits the basic assumption that prices are the same for everyone, as they would be in a physical store. Maybe a company getting caught red handed changing prices for racist or sexist reasons would spur enough public outrage.

Yeah, faking "User Agent" should be trivial. You don't even need an extension apparently.

How to change your browser's user agent?

Click the “Emulation” tab and choose a user agent from the “User agent string” box. You can also select the “Custom” option in the User agent string list and type a custom user agent into the box. You can find extensive lists of user agents on various websites, such as this one. This setting is temporary.

https://www.howtogeek.com/113439/how-to-change-your-browsers-user-agent-without-installing-any-extensions/

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I've already speculated that one of the reasons game companies don't want to disclose loot box odds is because they use algorithms to manipulate the odds/drop results based on spending/engagement/login/etc. habits on the fly.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/RobertBryan4/status/1175136189675913217

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

SaaS - Salad as a Service

Thanks you can deposit the millions in VC funding in my account

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

MickeyFinn posted:

Yes, the people proposing projects at Media Lab should have those proposals reviewed, by peers in the fields they work in. A kind of "peer review," if you will. The normal kind of review of academic proposals.

This. Like how the living gently caress did their agricultural computer get away with faking it for years and years? And, as an ag scientist I follow on Twitter points out, they were building on technology that was ten years obsolete in the first place, and apparently did no consulting at all with people in ag science. An MIT person actually commented in wonder on a Webstreamed panel that oh, there are agricultural colleges in the middle of the country.

Land grant colleges have been a powerhouse in agricultural research for a very long time. Treating them like "oh, those cute people in the flyover country" is cutting you off from the cutting edge.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This. Like how the living gently caress did their agricultural computer get away with faking it for years and years?

Showing it to people who didn’t know any better.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pochoclo posted:

SaaS - Salad as a Service

Thanks you can deposit the millions in VC funding in my account

Cloud-based Quinoa Delivery

Now tech companies can also get in on South American farmer exploitation!

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Cloud-based Quinoa Delivery

Now tech companies can also get in on South American farmer exploitation!

I thought that the problem with quinoa was that when it first became a trendy health food in the first world, the price of quinoa skyrocketed. I would think that that would be good for the farmers there, but maybe not the other locals who temporarily couldn't afford to buy quinoa.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

silence_kit posted:

I thought that the problem with quinoa was that when it first became a trendy health food in the first world, the price of quinoa skyrocketed. I would think that that would be good for the farmers there, but maybe not the other locals who temporarily couldn't afford to buy quinoa.

lol if you think the farmers got the bulk any of the price increase.

fake edit

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Land grant colleges have been a powerhouse in agricultural research for a very long time. Treating them like "oh, those cute people in the flyover country" is cutting you off from the cutting edge.

One of the things that blew me away when I got started in science is how clique-y it is. Throw in some old-fashioned I-am-a-computer-toucher-and-therefore-smarter-than-everyone and it's really easy not to have any idea what is going on in the field you are "disrupting" until it's too late. Peer reviewers are often petty and sometimes can't wait to get to the second page of your manuscript to start trashing it, but it is better than this billionaire-fueled incompetence.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

silence_kit posted:

quinoa was a food that everyone tried to stake ever escalating positions on if eating or not eating it made them the most woke.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

MickeyFinn posted:

One of the things that blew me away when I got started in science is how clique-y it is. Throw in some old-fashioned I-am-a-computer-toucher-and-therefore-smarter-than-everyone and it's really easy not to have any idea what is going on in the field you are "disrupting" until it's too late. Peer reviewers are often petty and sometimes can't wait to get to the second page of your manuscript to start trashing it, but it is better than this billionaire-fueled incompetence.

Academia is extremely insular and petty and would be called corrupt except for the fact that there's usually so little money in it

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

quinoa was a food that everyone tried to stake ever escalating positions on if eating or not eating it made them the most woke.

I usually like “healthy” foods but quinoa tastes horribly bitter and gritty to me. So I’m very woke/anti-woke by never eating it.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

JK Fresco posted:

Academia is extremely insular and petty and would be called corrupt except for the fact that there's usually so little money in it

I'm stealing this.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Federal law says you can't claim efficacy in smoking succession unless you submit actual clinical tests to the FDA. Guess what Juul is doing in their political advertising?

quote:

In his letter, Walton cites a Prop. C mailer that includes a testimonial from a San Francisco woman and cancer patient who said vaping was the only thing that helped her quit smoking after nicotine patches and gum didn’t work. The letter also cites a presentation made by Prop. C campaign manager Tom Hsieh in which he tells an audience that vaping is less harmful than smoking and is “a legitimate off-ramp for people who are addicted to cigarettes.”

“Juul appears to be using the electioneering in San Francisco to systematically advance unauthorized health-related marketing claims about its products’ advantages to consumers,” Walton wrote. “These messages do not merely portray Juul as a safer alternative to traditional cigarettes — but also as a more effective smoking cessation option than FDA-approved products as Chantix, Nicorette, nicotine patches and gum.”
Prop. C is a San Francisco proposition, entirely backed and funded by Juul,to overturn an SF supervisor ban on vaping products and much, much more.

quote:

Proposition C goes much further than that. It proposes to “comprehensively authorize and regulate the retail sale, availability and marketing of vapor products in the city and county of San Francisco.” The measure was crafted and is being pitched in a multi-million-dollar campaign by Juul Labs, the San Francisco company whose sleek USB-drive design, subtle vapor plume and high nicotine levels have made it No. 1 in the fledgling market.

In other words, Prop. C represents the effort of the dominant brand of a highly addictive and undoubtedly unhealthy product to dictate the terms of how it should be regulated.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

ryonguy posted:

lol if you think the farmers got the bulk any of the price increase.

fake edit
I think it's like the US, for the people who own the farms yeah it's great. For the laborers on said farms, uh maybe not so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I don't think you know what fascism is tbh