Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Iizuka is probably chilling under a bridge somewhere convincing children to steal food for him. That’s pretty happy imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

He prowls Aokigahara, the Sea of Trees, looking for fresh prey amongst any foolish hikers or suicide seekers who dare to enter the forest.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

super macho dude posted:

He prowls Aokigahara, the Sea of Trees, looking for fresh prey amongst any foolish hikers or suicide seekers who dare to enter the forest.

Up against Logan Paul in a "loser films suicide victim" match.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Takashi Iizuka. Iizuka was the one who became an unhinged beast after his heel turn, and after his retirement was announced, Tenzan spent weeks confronting him and begging him to come back to the good side and reform their tag team. It all culminated in an incredible multi-man tag retirement match which ended in the most perfect way as Iizuka basically broke off from his heel stable who no longer controlled him, but rather than reuniting with Tenzan he basically just staggered off through the crowd ignoring the pleas for him to come back to the ring, and disappeared into the night to never be seen again. Also his often used iron-claw weapon got left behind and one of the other heels gleefully stole it to add it to his own arsenal.

I like to think he's still out there somewhere, lurching wildly through the undergrowth, living a free life in the wilderness.

You forgot the bit where in the lead up to the match Tenzan made a pilgrimage to stand vigil at the shrine where Iizuka's humanity had been left behind

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rarity posted:

You forgot the bit where in the lead up to the match Tenzan made a pilgrimage to stand vigil at the shrine where Iizuka's humanity had been left behind

That's the post I made that kicked this discussion off!

But it's fine, any excuse to relive the sheer joy of that storyline is okay with me :)

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Gaz-L posted:

Define angle in that context, we talking 'Dusty locked in the cage with the Horsemen' or 'Mick Foley wanders Cleveland'?
I feel like it's kind of an "I know it when I see it" thing? Like, for example, the Big Twan Tucker thing from NXT is definitely a wrestling angle but I wouldn't say the same for, say, most of the Reigns/Rowan/Bryan stuff?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

You did forget to mention that Tenzan did at least get a handshake from Iizuka. For the briefest of moments, Friendship Tag was a unit again.

And then Suzuki-gun and Iizuka started beating him up before Iizuka went feral and ran from the building.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Was this Iizuka-Tenzan storyline shown on video through the house shows and PPVs because it all sounds amazing.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

https://front.njpwworld.com/search/tag/man_208

Starts pretty much with the February 2nd "Road to New Beginning" show and wraps up on that New Japan Road show in Korakuen.

Plus the videos that give the backstory to everything.

edit: I forgot that Suzuki told them to do the retirement ten count anyway even though Iizuka had already wandered off so he still got the retirement ballyhoo while he wasn't anywhere near the ring :allears:

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 22, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Nobody's mentioned yet either that they specifically brought back a former commentator that Iizuka used to harrass just so he could be savaged one last time :laugh:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Rarity posted:

Nobody's mentioned yet either that they specifically brought back a former commentator that Iizuka used to harrass just so he could be savaged one last time :laugh:

Nogami has been a regular commentator for njpw for years, they just rotate most of their guys

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Was that why one of the commentators was shirtless and only wearing a tie?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

super macho dude posted:

Was that why one of the commentators was shirtless and only wearing a tie?

Yeah, Iizuka liked to rip Nogami's clothes off. There was one time he painted him up like Doraemon.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
On last Wednesday's NXT:

quote:

There wasn't any story telling in this episode really. Did anyone actually do a promo? Walter had an angle of sorts but it didn't make much sense. Maybe HHH doesn't trust them. Wrestling is pretty boring if it's just matches with no story behind them. NXT seems to have good wrestlers but they concentrate on flashy entrances and fan chants rather than let the wrestlers develop their own characters.

This guy goes on to rant about people doing flips in matches and the lack of big dudes getting pushes.

Also:

quote:

I think the NXT storylines either end up extremely simplistic or nonsensical but I've been getting a lot of push back from people who seem to think the storytelling is great. I imagine you'll be hearing from all of them in this thread.

NXT storylines are not complex. But wrestling storylines in general should not be complex. It almost never ends well.

By the way: That guy's favorite moment from this year is Becky Lynch getting hit with End of Days, to the point of where he has it as his signature apparently. Because he thinks there should be more man on woman violence because "think of the heat it would add!!!" :v:

Wrestle Forum is a goldmine of bad opinions.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 22, 2019

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

DarkstarIV posted:

NXT storylines are not complex. But wrestling storylines in general should not be complex. It almost never ends well.

I loved it when AEW turned the story of “a man hit his friend with a chair” into a blood feud. That’s enough, sometimes. Things like the Bryan/Reigns/Rowan stuff reek of trying to ape serial TV, and I don’t think that stuff usually works in wrestling.

Even in the WWF’s hottest period, when they made the “who ran over Stone Cold” story more complicated than it needed to be it lost all its heat.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
counterpoint: the insane story being talked about a few posts above is good poo poo, and i stopped watching nxt so maybe HHH should have Ohno’s arm start talking to him or put Keith Lee back on tv or something real wacky.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

DarkstarIV posted:

On last Wednesday's NXT:

This guy goes on to rant about people doing flips in matches and the lack of big dudes getting pushes.

Also:

By the way: That guy's favorite moment from this year is Becky Lynch getting hit with End of Days, to the point of where he has it as his signature apparently. Because he thinks there should be more man on woman violence because "think of the heat it would add!!!" :v:

Wrestle Forum is a goldmine of bad opinions.

How can someone who watches WWE main roster poo poo possibly think that NXT storylines are over complicated??

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

JT Smiley posted:

How can someone who watches WWE main roster poo poo possibly think that NXT storylines are over complicated??

:shrug:

I mean the Kevin Owens/Shane McMahon storyline is overly complicated to the point of where its harming KO now. They should have just had it end at Summerslam with Kevin beating Shane. But instead they dragged it out making KO look like a massive geek and asskisser before getting "fired". And now he's suing Shane instead of just kicking his rear end every week again.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Honestly I think Shane's push and Corbin's were what stopped me from watching WWE week to week. Those 3 minute YouTube recaps are like a godsend.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

JT Smiley posted:

Honestly I think Shane's push and Corbin's were what stopped me from watching WWE week to week. Those 3 minute YouTube recaps are like a godsend.

Do you really need recaps for a show you don't watch?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

They came at about the same time as the NY64 which was my last straw for dealing with that company.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Rarity posted:

my favourite iizuka moment was in the tag league last year when he caught ZSJ in a submission hold and the crowd went loving mental at the thought he might tap Zack out

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DarkstarIV posted:

On last Wednesday's NXT:

Lee vs Dijak is going to be very confusing for him, I presume.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Andrast posted:

I'm talking about the clips they post after raw and SmackDown they are like sizzle reels of all the action.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Andrast posted:

p. much how i follow the E nowadays thank you j-ru :cheers:

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
You can tell sophisticated stories in wrestling; its just that like in almost everything else its very hard so usually you shouldn't bother. In order to do complex character arks and stuff you need talented wrestlers who get the story very well: the Maki Itoh story is one that's them showing the development and evolution of quite a complex character and its been incredibly good to watch. They're just inherently long term and are things that develop through several programmes and not just blown off with one which WWE would never really do.

But this goes back to the "story ≠ 30 minute promos" thing which a lot of people who've only ever watched WWE main roster stuff seem to think, hence why you get the dumb "JAPANESE WRESTLING HAS NO STORY" thing. That and a few other things (such as a wrestler getting pinned clean actually doesn't mean that its the end for them and that you shouldn't hot shot angles) is something that it can take time for people coming from that perspective to get over.

One thing I will say: I watched that NXT after the fact and while I'm not going to criticise a lot of it since its a "not for me" thing; the one thing was that a lot of it was them presenting wrestlers without really explaining who they were and what their character was. Not saying you need boring promos but a VT or two and perhaps some commentary that knew that there were new viewers wouldn't have gone amiss. I have the same issue with AEW honestly where its been worse - that's something that they need to solve when they hit TV.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Holzerman decided to accused David Starr of being a transphobe last night, then deleted some tweets hoping Starr wouldn't find them. He left some others up so David Starr found them, and buried The Holzerman for slandering him. So does The Holzerman apologize for the accusation? Nope!

https://twitter.com/tholzerman/status/1176081790580207617

You see it's David Starr's fault that The Holzerman would make this accusation.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jesus WEP posted:

my favourite iizuka moment was in the tag league last year when he caught ZSJ in a submission hold and the crowd went loving mental at the thought he might tap Zack out

Haha seriously, for a beautiful moment I actually believed it was going to happen :allears:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

that Holzerman dude isn't well.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

MassRafTer posted:

The Holzerman decided to accused David Starr of being a transphobe last night, then deleted some tweets hoping Starr wouldn't find them. He left some others up so David Starr found them, and buried The Holzerman for slandering him. So does The Holzerman apologize for the accusation? Nope!

https://twitter.com/tholzerman/status/1176081790580207617

You see it's David Starr's fault that The Holzerman would make this accusation.

Meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/20YearsofNitro/status/1176142704792788992

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I remember seeing Holzerman almost cry at a Chikara-adjacent show because he tried to cut a promo on the mic and he couldn't get the words out.

It was like some podcast thing at the Wrestlefactory iirc.

Anyway, that dude is a missed meal away from a total mental break, don't give him too hard of a time.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
That guy who gets angry about NXT not having long promo segments is still going. :psyduck:

quote:

Johnny Gargano and Adam Cole are the only people allowed to touch a live mic regularly and by regularly I mean once a month-ish, they're both above average. When NXT does do decent length promos they are almost always monologues, their "promo battles" are literally one or two lines. The combined time of all the promo battles over the last 5 years is less than one opening Raw promo.

Take Rhea Ripley's debut, Shayna comes to the ring, grabs the mic and as she's about to speak Rhea comes to the ring, snatches the mic from her and says "I know what you're about to say, you've beaten everybody, but you haven't beaten me, bitch!" Then they stare down and Shayna leaves, end of segment. 2 full entrances and a full exit for a 4 minute segment that had 5 seconds worth of promo.

Or Take Walter's debut, Imperium beats up a jobber, he comes out and says "We are Imperium and to us this mat is sacred, we are here to restore the honor and tradition of our sport. Anyone who violates that tradition, their time will be spent answering to der ring general" Then he says a line in German. Kushida comes out and says "this is my time, your time belongs to me". Then they start fighting.

That's the totality of the promo battles on the last 4 episodes of NXT including the 2 hour episode.

He seriously thinks that because NXT doesn't have 15 minute promo segments, that they can't tell stories. Including in the ring.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

wwe “promo battles” are literally always terrible heatsinks where everyone has the same weird words and phrases so why on earth would you be pissmad about having fewer/shorter ones?

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

there must be at least one nonvince out there that loves the weird wwe verbiage and 12 camera cuts a second. it's... people are different is my point here

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

lost my old email posted:

at least one nonvince

banjo! that was his name

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The thing is, a well done promo battle can be legitimately fantastic. Get two guys with a beef in there to argue their case, let them spit fire at each other, and you can get something like the Austin/Rock segment where they keep stealing the mic from one another or the Punk line "you have become the New York Yankees!" but modern WWE has become so jargonized and micromanaged that everything is flattened to death and becomes an identical smarmy voice that speaks for no one and to no one, and I completely understand wanting at least part of a big debut show to act as overture to build later shows, especially one that isn't as Vince influenced.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I Before E posted:

The thing is, a well done promo battle can be legitimately fantastic. Get two guys with a beef in there to argue their case, let them spit fire at each other, and you can get something like the Austin/Rock segment where they keep stealing the mic from one another or the Punk line "you have become the New York Yankees!" but modern WWE has become so jargonized and micromanaged that everything is flattened to death and becomes an identical smarmy voice that speaks for no one and to no one, and I completely understand wanting at least part of a big debut show to act as overture to build later shows, especially one that isn't as Vince influenced.

The last really great promo battle that I can remember is the Cena/Roman one where John just completely tore through Roman's entire persona in the space of 10 minutes.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The Miz burying Enzo was better imo

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

jesus WEP posted:

The Miz burying Enzo was better imo

That was less a battle and more of an annihilation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I wonder if Miz went off script for that Enzo promo because wow. Also, Miz was proven right when Enzo still did his catchphrases during that exchange.