Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Relevant Tangent posted:

There's an Iron Man in the Blackstone Fortress game and they seem cool.

I'm pretty sure it's a well to do imperial robot, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
"BEEP BOOP DOES NOT COMPUTE! I AM A NORMAL MACHINE SPIRIT!"

I love that robot so much, he's great fun to play when you work out that the name of the game is objectives and not kills, but then when you've done that and are running for the space elevator all the bonus action dice are available to just BRRRRRRRTTTTTTT all the things :v:

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Yeah that was the glorious “the Butlerian jihad but with a worse name” period of human history
Yeah but that period is just "The Age of Strife".

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

As opposed to the 10,000 years of eternal hellwars, which is the Golden Age of Mankind, as the corpse-god screams without a mouth God-Emperor guides humanity forward to glory! ...oh look the universe is broken, that means it's an even more golden age! :pseudo:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Arquinsiel posted:

Nah, something older which has apparently also been refuted.

It's all good. The bullshit flies fast and thick with the Voynich manuscript.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

It's actually Arhiman's collection of The Voynich Hotel manga, which is actually something worth preserving.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
arnt machine spirits already AI or thats at least the implication, its just we culturally forgot they were AI.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Machine spirits are low grade artificial intelligences based off of animal brains rather than sentient AI, with the prevailing theory that the animalistic tendencies make them safer than AI with human levels of cognition. This has the downside when an animal based AI is put into something the size of a Titan it has enough computing power to overwhelm a driver.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

arnt machine spirits already AI or thats at least the implication, its just we culturally forgot they were AI.

Machine spirits started off as a cult's way of explaining the minor quirks and differences between different machines that SHOULD be the same. Its evolved over time to being actual AI in machines though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Could be the other way around either. Started out with the low-grade AI in titans, Land Raiders and the like being referred to as "Machine Spirits" and then one day Johannus Guardsman asks the local cogboy "so does the Leman Russ have a Machine Spirit?" and it just spiralled down to "... does my Lasgun have a Machine Spirit?" and cogboy was all "UGH, YES! Everything has a machine spirit! Stop bothering me!" and now it's just accepted doctrine.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

It could just be Machine Spirit refers to its ability to do a simple task. So a strong machine spirit is able to handle a lot of tasks.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Nah, the Cult Mechanicus are all about the cargo-cult technology "wisdom", such as the "three ritual taps" to improve monitor signal. I'm sure if you checked everything you'd find that in one of the books a techpriest inserts a data storage device into a cogitator the wrong way up twice, with it only going in correctly the third time when he speaks the correct incantation.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

One of the Ciaphas Cain novels mentions him attempting the ritual to fix an auspix, he quickly says the prayers, and kicks it in the same place the techpriests kick it for the "ritual". As far as I know, the "machine spirits as AI" are all newer concepts, weren't the old depictions of Titans the pilots being borderline senile/insane from the system inputs, and not the machine itself being an AI?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I’m pretty sure Guardsman Hawke beats down on some missile controls to help the machine spirit along.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
It's actually brilliant because even today there's a bunch of people that understand how things work, and then even more people who use those things but don't know how things work. So for example, if you were having trouble with your computer getting slow, you could see if there is a memory leak, run task manager and see if there are a bunch of things running that you don't need, whatever. But when your grandma calls you about her computer slowing down or freezing, you're not going to cover all that stuff, you're just going to say "reboot it" or whatever. And then when someone ask your grandma to how to fix their computer, cause she did it, she'll just repeat "reboot it" even though that might not necessarily be the right solution. It basically becomes a mantra, and it works because it may help and if it doesn't, well, you just didn't appease the machine spirit as well as you should. Saves the computer touchers from explaining everything every time, but still helps the laymen get through some of the problems they are encountering without too much trouble.
Add a couple thousand years, and you could easily have a religion out of that.
I'll confess to uttering a prayer under my breath for the machine spirit when I'm rebooting something that crashed and, despite not doing anything after previous attempts to reboot it failed, having it work. I can't really explain that, but it costs me nothing to try and it's worked....a few times I've tried it.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Ardent Communist posted:

It's actually brilliant because even today there's a bunch of people that understand how things work, and then even more people who use those things but don't know how things work. So for example, if you were having trouble with your computer getting slow, you could see if there is a memory leak, run task manager and see if there are a bunch of things running that you don't need, whatever. But when your grandma calls you about her computer slowing down or freezing, you're not going to cover all that stuff, you're just going to say "reboot it" or whatever. And then when someone ask your grandma to how to fix their computer, cause she did it, she'll just repeat "reboot it" even though that might not necessarily be the right solution. It basically becomes a mantra, and it works because it may help and if it doesn't, well, you just didn't appease the machine spirit as well as you should. Saves the computer touchers from explaining everything every time, but still helps the laymen get through some of the problems they are encountering without too much trouble.
Add a couple thousand years, and you could easily have a religion out of that.
I'll confess to uttering a prayer under my breath for the machine spirit when I'm rebooting something that crashed and, despite not doing anything after previous attempts to reboot it failed, having it work. I can't really explain that, but it costs me nothing to try and it's worked....a few times I've tried it.

I think we’ve all begged and pleaded with out shitbox cars to please start just this one time - it’s winter and it’s cold out there for crying out loud!

Or at least I know I have :/

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 17, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah lots of stuff probably does not have actual machine spirit AIs. But no one really knows how most things work, and largely just believe the Admech about it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The other thing about Titan machine spirits is that their pilots are mentally linked to them, with the implication that the link goes both ways.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Biplane posted:

I’m pretty sure Guardsman Hawke beats down on some missile controls to help the machine spirit along.
He loses his poo poo after the ritual of activation doesn't work because he can't remember the incantation exactly, and screams "why won't you loving fire?" and then it goes "voice command accepted" and fires. Because apparently just saying "fire" after the system is turned on and aimed is good enough :science:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

All machines have a spirit, but some also have rudimentary AI that's described as an aspect of its spirit because AI is Very Bad.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Machine Spirits are just Grimdark IoT.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Imagine a lot of advanced poo poo the Mechanicus build without understanding the actual tech is actually sentient in some way, they just can’t communicate with it. So you’ve got capital ship systems that are functionally sentient machines but the humans interfacing with it through cybernetics can’t talk to it, just give it hard coded commands. A lot of these ‘machine spirits’ would be functionally insane with no way to interact with the world around them.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Demiurge4 posted:

Imagine a lot of advanced poo poo the Mechanicus build without understanding the actual tech is actually sentient in some way, they just can’t communicate with it. So you’ve got capital ship systems that are functionally sentient machines but the humans interfacing with it through cybernetics can’t talk to it, just give it hard coded commands. A lot of these ‘machine spirits’ would be functionally insane with no way to interact with the world around them.

What if Chinese Room but also I Have No Mouth.

:shudder:

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

What if Chinese Room but also I Have No Mouth.

:shudder:

I've always thought of the Titan interfaces as a Chinese room.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So the way the timeline works is like this:

Today
Event Horizon
Canticle for Leibowitz (first part, Fallout* is parallel to this)
Saint Leibowitz and the Wild Horse Woman
Canticle for Leibowitz (the second part with the monks flying off)
Dune** (Firefly is happening parallel to this in a different part of the galaxy)

*: Not FO76 because it's poo poo.
**: Only Frank's books because other Dune books do not exist, with the exception of the Dune Encyclopedia which is real and strong and my friend.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 17, 2019

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

It's only Dune up to the Butterlain Jihad, then it's 30k with a mix of book Dune.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SardonicTyrant posted:

It's only Dune up to the Butterlain Jihad, then it's 30k with a mix of book Dune.

Nah, it's a bit of the galaxy where they forgot where Earth was and didn't have any local aliens. Then The Scattering happens during which time the post-(Dune) Imperium humans find other humans, and become part of the Pre-Unity/Pre-Crusade Era.

There still might be several thousand years in there. We have 15000ish years to fill?

:shrug:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Except the unnamed human diaspora is the result of rapid technological advancement from the dark age of technology.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
There a whole lot of The Culture in there before the Butlarian Jih— war with the Men of Iron.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Galvanik posted:

Why does the inquisition care at this point? Isn't the big secret that daemons actually exist out at this point what with the whole Gates of Hell opening up and rending the Galaxy in twain?

People have already touched on general inconsistencies in 40k lore but I don't see the Inquisition giving up on keeping the existence of demons a secret and trying to keep the fact that some of the Emperor's own sons fell to Chaos a secret, as logically inconsistent. Such a revelation has the potential to be a lot more dangerous than the existence of demons in general I think. One of the post-DI books (Carrion Throne I think) had someone seeing a mural in the Imperial Palace and going "wait didn't the Emperor only have nine sons :thunk:" and getting a "DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO THAT" in response.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I could see keeping the Traitor Primarchs a secret from the general population, and just saying that "some Legions of space marines turned against their brothers, so just an FYI, pour as much firepower as you can into the tall guys in power armor".

Its one thing to say that some of the soldiers turned evil, another to say that half of the sons of the Emperor turned evil. If that word got out and widespread, then that could cause widespread distrust of the God-Emperor. "If half of his sons turned evil, who's to say he isn't evil" and all of that.

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

Pyrolocutus posted:

People have already touched on general inconsistencies in 40k lore but I don't see the Inquisition giving up on keeping the existence of demons a secret and trying to keep the fact that some of the Emperor's own sons fell to Chaos a secret, as logically inconsistent. Such a revelation has the potential to be a lot more dangerous than the existence of demons in general I think. One of the post-DI books (Carrion Throne I think) had someone seeing a mural in the Imperial Palace and going "wait didn't the Emperor only have nine sons :thunk:" and getting a "DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO THAT" in response.

I think in that instance it's even an inquisitor who had no idea about the heresy. The next 40k book I read after that had some random guardsman casually namedropping Horus and other stuff like it was common knowledge so the inconsistency can be wild sometimes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Was the Guardsman Cadian by any chance? They tend to know what's up, given that they've spent ten thousand plus years fighting the daemonic anus of the galaxy.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I thought Horus turning evil was widely known. I know enough people have been named Warmaster and immediately go "Uuuuhhhh... I promise I WON'T turn evil?" that I figured Horus was well-known as falling, and was more akin to Lucifer being well-known as turning against God, but the other Primarches were either memory-holed or "Oh, that Primarch? He died in battle. Against who? Uh... Horus?"

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I think the cat is out of the bag with the whole traitor primarch thing what with Guilliman telling anyone in ear shot how much his brother Mort is an rear end in a top hat. Magnus on Luna they can cover up but probably not the giant Nurgle army dunking on the greater part of Ultramar.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Imperial citizens know about Horus and the traitor primarchs they just don't know that they were primarchs. They are taught about them as the nine greater demons of hell or something like that. The HH being almost like the ministorium's creation myth of the imperium.

Similarly, the ministorium teachs about demons, but in very broad terms. Most citizens see them as people in our time do. Even most christians today don't believe in demons as real physical beings, more as allegories. It's seeing the physical truth of chaos and/or knowing that when you die your soul will be ripped apart in the warp that gets you killed. Seeing chaos in front of you will break a lot of men's minds and even if it doesn't the PTSD tends to be so extreme you have a much higher likelihood of falling to chaos later. Even if you don't you won't be able to stop thinking and dreaming about it and that gives chaos power. That is why you get killed for seeing the real truth of it but the ministorium preaching about demons in broad allegorical terms is allowed. It's the difference in hearing about satan tempting you at church service and getting home and seeing him eat and rape your family.

This excerpt shows it from a high lord level:

https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/9k6oxc/book_excerptwatchers_of_the_throne_the_emperors/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

In other news, the Cawl book is out and it has a ton of interesting lore so far. It has flashbacks to what Cawl was actually doing in the last ten thousand years and even views from Felix (the Primaris smurf Tetrarch) waking up ever so often to get experimented on as he became Primaris. I am not far enough in to know if the book is good, but so far it is worth getting just from a cool lore perspective and I am only 20% in.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

What Cawl book?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Belisarius Cawl: The Great Work. Just out today and is a multi protaganist work split between tetrarch felix and belisarius himself, their histories and hints of the future. It takes place after plague war the book but before the end of the plague wars and details felix and cawl visiting the dead world sotha of the emperors scythes chapter. You get an interesting insight into how dying chapters view the primaris reinforcements but also one thing i really like about guy haley ive noticed is hes very fond of writing characters full of doubts and fears, even space marines.

Im also early on but ill say it is a good book. Belisarius is a very fun character and the book has the feek of a sciebtific expedition or episode of star trek, very different vibe from other 40k books ive read.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 21, 2019

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

Im also early on but ill say it is a good book. Belisarius is a very fun character and the book has the feek of a sciebtific expedition or episode of star trek, very different vibe from other 40k books ive read.

Agreed. Honestly, everybody who visits this thread should get Rites of Passage (the new Navigator book) and The Great Work. Both are non-traditional 40k books that explore areas of the lore that have not been previously explored and both feature awesome protaganists who refuse to conform to typical 40k era Imperial expectations. Lady Chetta, the main character of Rites of Passage, immediately became one of my all time favorite 40k characters, and Cawl is looking the same with what I have read of The Great Work so far.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Based on a thread listing all the new lore in the Cawl I read earlier today it looks pretty interesting. Can't imagine how many angry shrieks it will elicit from the grogs.

Also Gul Du Lac's Three Ursine Hypothesis is such a great little reference. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
The new cawl book was fun till they got to sotha then it kinda became objectively bad.

Not really a spoiler below

My favorite bit was it turns out cawl wants nothing to do with being fabricator general and he is a little worried that cawl inferior keeps demanding it of guiliman