Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stalins Moustache posted:

So I found out that a bunch of my coworkers are all basically nerds and formerly weebs, and I was thinking of arranging movie evenings centered around environmentalist movies. We already have some American / English movies to watch, but I'm curious if there are any anime movies with heavy themes related to the environment / environmental sustainability? I have Princess Mononoke on my list already.
pretty much any jungle emperor leo thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

klapman posted:

If you're looking for a long fighting show, Hunter X Hunter is the best one out there IMO. Really fun and unique fights in it.

Ended up watching really enjoyed it

btw watched the entirety of Mob amd loved that too. Batting 2/2 for good recommendations so far.

While waiting for new eps for Dr. stone, looking for other more adult themed shows on crunchy roll. Does Violet Evergarden improve from its listless first couple of eps?

e:

Terrible Opinions posted:

Well there is Ergoproxy, but it's a bit of a hard recommend given that the first half is pretty bad, but the second half is excellent.

absolutley went gaga over this show a few months ago

e2:

Ulio posted:

What is a fun action isekai? It seems the last few seasons Isekai popularity keeps growing but there is so many to choose from.

I really like Grimgar

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 10, 2019

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Shageletic posted:

Ended up watching really enjoyed it

btw watched the entirety of Mob amd loved that too. Batting 2/2 for good recommendations so far.

While waiting for new eps for Dr. stone, looking for other more adult themed shows on crunchy roll. Does Violet Evergarden improve from its listless first couple of eps?

Violet Evergarden is fairly episodic after the establishing episodes are finished. There is a small character arc for Violet, but the story really focuses on the people she meets along the way. The tone doesn't change too much throughout. All tears, all the time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlternateNu posted:

Violet Evergarden is fairly episodic after the establishing episodes are finished. There is a small character arc for Violet, but the story really focuses on the people she meets along the way. The tone doesn't change too much throughout. All tears, all the time.

Every episode is a new flavour of emotional knife thrust into your heart :qq:.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I found Violet Evergarden ranged from some real good emotional episode that just hit all the buttons to stuff where I just didn't care. When it was on it was great for me and when it wasn't it was just...there

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Alright Violet doesn't seem my speed, thanks for the info everyone

AlternateNu posted:

Hajime no Ippo. Shirobako. Joshiraku. March Comes in Like a Lion. Usagi Drop.

saving this post for later, they all seem like good reccs.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Bit late, but I do think Violet gets better after the early "oh look at the robot girl" arc fades into the background. Most of the remarkable stuff is in the latter half and although I also think it's hit-or-miss, it hits pretty drat hard when it does.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You can make anyone who's seen the show cry with just two words; Happy Birthday.

Best episode of the show and I'm not crying, you're crying...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Is Carole and Tuesday gonna get 3-dimensional any time soon?

I'm at episode 3

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

no not really

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

Is Carole and Tuesday gonna get 3-dimensional any time soon?

I'm at episode 3
it stays hand drawn

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWdY_o2B_0E
Came cross this Murphy's Irish Stout commercial. Looking for more cyberpunk stuff. I already know about Akira of course, and saw the first episode of Cyber City Oedo 808 (never got around to the other 2)

Wondering if there's any other worthwhile cyberpunk, particularly obscure

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You may enjoy Battle Angel Alita. The first series is very, very cyberpunky, though Last Order and Martian Chronicles go quite a bit past cyberpunk stuff. The movie is great, the 90's OVA is decent but only covers a small portion of it, and the manga is fuckin' fantastic. You can get basically the entire manga via comixology's monthly subscription, the whole thing is included in there iirc.

this is one of the first pages, where the main character's mostly-destroyed body is discovered in a scrap robot junkyard.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 13, 2019

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

Came cross this Murphy's Irish Stout commercial. Looking for more cyberpunk stuff. I already know about Akira of course, and saw the first episode of Cyber City Oedo 808 (never got around to the other 2)

ghost in the shell (movies, series, everything but arise), real drive, bubblegum crisis, serial experiments lain are all obvious recs but you didn't name em

little more obscure: check out all the other otomo manga (akira creator) such as robot carnival, roujin z etc, theres an actual matrix anime, patlabor 2, dirty pair, key the metal idol, jin roh, theres a blade runner ova, kurua phantom memory, pale cocoon. psycho diver

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

quote:

saw the first episode of Cyber City Oedo 808 (never got around to the other 2)
you should watch the other two since they're the better ones

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Finish Oedo! The second episode is my favorite one. If you liked it then watch Goku Midnight Eye which is by the same director. He also directed a good short about racing in the far future (Running Man) in the anthology called Neo Tokyo.

Megazone 23 is a good paranoid movie series. It switches up artstyles a lot so of you don't like the look of one it won't be forever.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

These aren't particularly good but if you just can't get enough cyberpunk there's also Angel Cop and Eight Man After

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Oh yeah, and the recent Megalobox is a good rec

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first episode of Genocyber if you have a very strong stomach, don't watch any more though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you have the opportunity to go see Promare in a cinema, go see Promare.

It is a fantastically dumb film that revels in its stupidity and burning manly passion :allears:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sakurazuka posted:

The first episode of Genocyber if you have a very strong stomach, don't watch any more though.

The second and third episodes are also fun, though that caveat applies even harder (seriously don't eat while watching Genocyber)

4 and 5 are rear end balls though

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shageletic posted:

I really like Grimgar

If you liked Grimgar, the English translation of the LNs is officially available for purchase far beyond the events of the anime (the anime covers the first 2 volumes and I think 10+ are translated). I'm not totally caught up with it, but what I've read is good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
What are some of the best anime with themes of internationalism or anti-xenophobia / anti-isolationism?

I know of One Piece and Radiant which are easy answers but I figure there have to be at least a few more.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

flag is about a UN peacekeeping mission and the journalist that covers it, lots of interactions between cultures in that

i just watched night raid 1931, which is about japanese spies in pre open war china. a recurring plotline is the resistance of local peoples vs european colonizers. great diversity of cultures and languages are on display in it and interacting with each other

yamato 2199 and the older versions (not 2202) i feel also has some of it to it, but its not much in the forefront in comparison to themes of redemption

last exile has it as a minor theme as well, but its pretty far along in the show before it becomes a plot point so i'd have to spoil to say more

freedom certainly has a bit of it, it also has a lot of cup noodles

i know there's more but this is all i can think of, its not really a theme thats easy to remember

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What are some of the best anime with themes of internationalism or anti-xenophobia / anti-isolationism?

I know of One Piece and Radiant which are easy answers but I figure there have to be at least a few more.

g gundam

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Gundam 00's first season is entirely built on this

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Vifam

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So there's an awful lot of anime about oda nobunaga. Which ones are really good?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

most are absolutely awful, or so far removed from history they might as well be fantasy anime. one of the few good ones featuring him is hyouge mono

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

So there's an awful lot of anime about oda nobunaga. Which ones are really good?

Hyouge Mono is the best one.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Any good recommendations for edutainment shows? Or anything that focuses on a relatively niche topic and lets you learn a lot of technical details about the subject, really.

Moyashimon and Cells at Work are the primary examples I’m thinking of, but I guess series like Silver Spoon, Shirobako, and Bakuman also fall under this umbrella too.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Nondevor posted:

Any good recommendations for edutainment shows? Or anything that focuses on a relatively niche topic and lets you learn a lot of technical details about the subject, really.

How about Nodame Cantabile for its look at the professional music world?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

nobunaga's shinobi and hyouge mono are actual good ones that explain stuff about his life and the historical period.

sengoku basara is an okay action franchise that has him wielding a sawed off shotgun in one hand and a big claymore in the other and acting as the final boss of japan.

Nondevor posted:

Moyashimon and Cells at Work are the primary examples I’m thinking of, but I guess series like Silver Spoon, Shirobako, and Bakuman also fall under this umbrella too.
hyouge mono is a good answer to this one also, if you wanna learn a lot about japanese pottery and some about japanese history.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Nondevor posted:

Himeyuri, bartender, chihayafuru, kemono friends

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nondevor posted:

It's not exclusively focused on the subject of mountain climbing, but Yama no Susume (Encouragement of Climb) is pretty entertaining and a heartfelt exploration of an introvert growing as a person, making friends and connections, and dealing with themes such as adversity in the face of failure. It's a pretty special show-plus the first season's episodes are so short you can finish the whole thing in less than an hour.

Also the first op for s2 is just such a visual treat
https://youtu.be/NTeLGxA1rrU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

ninjewtsu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSEWnlx1KNs

Well, not strictly about him, but he's a big part.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Yurucamp is educational, right?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Dr Stone's fundamentally built on using real science to solve problems.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Thanks for the recs, everyone! Glad there’s not a lack of this type of genre :v:

I’ll probably start with Hyouge Mono first since hell yeah pottery (and history). Or more likely the short shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So I gave my copy of Spirit Circle to someone to read and they loved it and now want more recommendations. They’re not really anime/manga fans but also not anime haters, they seem to have tried various series over the years and not enjoyed them all that much but kept an admirably impartial attitude towards the medium. So what are the best shonen manga similar to that? I sort of feel like I spoiled them by giving them literally the best one first, but oh well. Besides the standard shonen jump stuff are there any hidden gems with a similar tone in either shonen or seinen?