Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

pim01 posted:

What filling did you use?

pork, ginger, garlic, green onion, light soy, shaoxing wine, sesame oil, white pepper, black pepper, salt, msg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Nice and classic, excellent :allears:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
You make them a funny shape :D

Looks really good. Making me want to make some too.. Though mine look like poo poo lol

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I dunno if the shape matters if boiling, seems like most opened up again. Maybe it's to keep them from touching each other as you're forming them? Or maybe I need to get better at squishing the ends together so they DO keep shape when boiling. Does look prettier for instagram though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

poo poo, that looks delicious.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I've never made them that shape so I don't know if it's more prone to opening just with that shape.

But you may be overcooking them. Or.. I assume you're using a dab of water there to keep it closed, too.

https://souperdiaries.com/how-to-wrap-wonton/

We've always made the rectangular ingot wontons on that site.

Actually, looking at the shape.. with the shape you've made, it makes sense that they come apart because the seal is under peeling stress and that's the direction it's weakest in. With the ingot wonton, the seal is under shear stress where it's stronger. (I may be an engineer at heart...)

On the other hand, I can see why it's better for frying because it has two major flat surfaces and minimizes the other sides (which is what you'd want for frying).

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I made more last night, same shape as before, but I made more effort to press them harder. They kept their shape this time, made them easier to eat (smaller). If I were making a 100 wonton/2lb pork batch I'd definitely skip this step though as its way more time consuming.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Try one of the other shapes and see how that goes?

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
Maybe someone ITT linked to the Woks of Life recipe for Hong Shao Kao Fu or else I ran into it on my own, either way I wanted to make it yet this summer.
I couldn't find dry gluten cakes/kao fu in stores or online, so I decided to make it.

2 cups powdered gluten (I used Bob's Red Mill since I had it), a big dash of salt, a teaspoon of sugar and about half a teaspoon of instant yeast. Added enough lukewarm water to make a soft dough. Proofed it in a warm place for 90 minutes. Steamed it for 20 minutes. It had doubled in size after proofing and doubled again in the steamer, pushing the top off about while only halfway done. I Let if finish the best I could, but it ended up just a slight bit doughy in the middle since the steamer was open.

I Let it cool for 45 minutes and used it from there like the reconstituted ingredient in their recipe. It had nice big pores inside pretty much like pictures of it show. It blew up even more while I was braising it though, pushing the lid off of the pot I used. I may have to experiment with yeast and sugar quantities or just make less at a time. It was drat tasty at room temp and there's a lot left to eat cold tomorrow, as one dish among several at the table it would have been enough for 8-10 people easily.

This was actually my second try, the first one was just gluten, salt, and water. It steamed up into a nice dense cake of bland seitan without any pores and a very firm chewy texture. I froze that one for some other use.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I wanna make a really ma la-ey sauce as a sample for a friend of mine who's curious about numbing spice. Is there something I could whip up real quick to jar up and give to him?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Prob doubanjiang, oil, bunch of sichuan peppercorns all stir fried together

maybe just grind up some red chiles and sichuan peppercorns and have it be a powder instead of a sauce, i dunno

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

AnonSpore posted:

I wanna make a really ma la-ey sauce as a sample for a friend of mine who's curious about numbing spice. Is there something I could whip up real quick to jar up and give to him?
If he doesn't know what ma is and wants something to teach it to him, if you can find fresh Sichuan peppercorns that'll do the trick. They're a little citrusy and very numbing.

I don't know what the deal is, but I've had several people report that they have no idea what the whole ma/numbing thing is about even while eating super ma-heavy dishes. Maybe because it's almost never an isolated thing? One person I've heard this from is my girlfriend, and I frequently cook with a shitload of whole and ground Sichuan peppercorns. Anyway, a couple years ago I got my first harvest from a Sichuan peppercorn tree I planted in the back yard, and immediately after trying a single fresh peppercorn she was like oh yeah, that. And now she doesn't have any problem picking it out as an element in other things. Don't know how common an experience that is, but yeah. The fresh peppercorns are waaaaaay more numbing than they are when dried.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Bay area goons, this looks super loving useful for finding specific regional dishes/styles https://www.hungryonion.org/t/regional-chinese-roundup-3-0-sf-bay-area/4640

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 24, 2019

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Anyone here made mooncakes? My fiancé wants to make them and made her first batch ever last night. Some issues were had.

-The salted yolks where inedible, I read up on it today and found they require 4-6 weeks to be made properly, she used some method that took a day.

-The forms where too small to properly hold an egg yolk too so she had to split them, I have no idea what size she bought, she didn't either but I suspect they are on the smaller size range maybe 50-75g. I read that traditional mooncakes are like 4" or 10cm so that's probably a 150g mold I am thinking.

Anyone know if this is a good buy? There are cheaper ones for around 8 euros too. No idea if quality and price have any relation...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Mould-And-13-Style-Flower-Stamps-150g-Round-Moon-Cake-Baking-Mold-Hand-Pressur/362698063365

cheaper version, looks the same:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/150g-Flower-6-13-Stamps-Round-Pastry-Moon-Cake-Mold-Mould-Cookies-Mooncake/174027184716

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

you should be able to buy salted yolks vacuum sealed from most asian markets.

otherwise you can follow this method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkVP9Z_fSoQ

Moon cakes come in a lot of sizes, smaller ones might only use a half yolk or no yolks. The presses are p much a must.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

So watching Wang Gang and other videos, there seems to be a lot of focus and repeat mention of the "splash things into/around the edge of the wok" vs "just pour it in" when it comes to adding liquids.

Is this just a tradition or is there an end result reason for doing this?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think it's to heat the liquid rapidly, but if you're woking at home your wok isn't going to be hot enough. I haven't noticed it mattering at all, I suspect it's mostly just tradition.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Some of last nights work, my fiancés that is, these ones without eggs and different compositions. I spent last night baking rye bread, the kitchen was pretty full.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

toplitzin posted:

So watching Wang Gang and other videos, there seems to be a lot of focus and repeat mention of the "splash things into/around the edge of the wok" vs "just pour it in" when it comes to adding liquids.

Is this just a tradition or is there an end result reason for doing this?

I feel like it's to keep the wok coated in oil, even heating (things not directly in the flame cool quickly), and to avoid overheating the oil. But I don't know anything.

I love hate this channel because yeah, hey, this poo poo is super easy! And then you try and it takes forever because, surprise, you're not a professional chef in a highly edited video.

Also.. apparently you can substitute dark soy sauce for caramel. Who knew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF1wC6u30MA

Oh! There's also the thing where adding liquids to a very hot surface actually changes the taste a bit. Next time you stir fry, instead of just pouring your soy sauce on top of your food, free up a space in the middle where there's no liquid, make sure it's hot, and pour soy sauce directly on the wok.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Made some twice cooked pork.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Looks awesome and tasty! Hui guo rou :allears:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

:yeah:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

What should I do with these other two boiled belly pieces tonight?

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Red braised pork (hong shao rou) and maybe steamed pork with preserved vegetables (han shao bai), is what I'd do - both start with par-cooked pork belly.

Fuchsia dunlop-s always very good for red braised pork (here's a version of her recipe on Vice, for some weird reason).

Really I'd just red braise it all and eat half with rice and save half for the next day to stuff in taiwanese steamed buns with cucumber, coriander and chili oil :allears:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Or save it. I always keep at least one serving of cooked and sliced pork in the freezer for emergency hui guo rou.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'm sure my version is nowhere close to authentic, but I sous vide like 3 hunks of pork belly with whatever random spices plus doubanjiang and a little Sichuan peppercorn infused oil and freeze 2 of them for future use.

When I actually make twice cooked pork I use a recipe adapted from a cookbook called "The Food and Cooking of Sichuan". I like mine better than most here in the Portland area, but that's not a very high bar as far as I can tell.

Having frozen pork belly on hand is awesome, I should probably experiment with other uses for it but it's great to be able to just do twice cooked pork whenever.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Inspector 34 posted:

I'm sure my version is nowhere close to authentic, but I sous vide like 3 hunks of pork belly with whatever random spices plus doubanjiang and a little Sichuan peppercorn infused oil and freeze 2 of them for future use.

When I actually make twice cooked pork I use a recipe adapted from a cookbook called "The Food and Cooking of Sichuan". I like mine better than most here in the Portland area, but that's not a very high bar as far as I can tell.

Having frozen pork belly on hand is awesome, I should probably experiment with other uses for it but it's great to be able to just do twice cooked pork whenever.

the best hui guo rou i ever had in my life had fried up chunks of stale guo kui (a sort of sichuanese bread) fried up in it so just go hog wild. you got the main points and everything else is whatever you want.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 10, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Dumb question, but we're currently in a keto phase till Thanksgiving.

Has anyone used Splenda for the caramel portion of red braised pork?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
it will be sweet but it won't be giving you the color, texture or flavor.

keto protip: don't use the packets of splenda which are cut with maltodextrin. Get pure liquid sucralose drops.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m trying to make biang biang noodles from scratch (https://youtu.be/SiBnK5DcWCU), and it’s not working out. The dough is sticky and difficult to roll out, and when I try pulling on it it breaks apart extremely easily. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: I ended up adding a couple tablespoons more of flour, and kneading it for an extra 5 minutes. It still really didn't like being stretched out, so I ended up rolling them out with a jar of hondashi instead. They're still tasty, but I wonder if there's an easier kind of noodle to make. Or maybe I'll just buy premade...

Also, I had no idea the core concept of noodles was so simple. Gives me a use for all this leftover flour I have.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 13, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My weakass stove is not capable of blistering beans without overcooking them. Went for no blister and properly cooked. I'm thinking of trying to grill them next time, tossed in oil first.

Also made jiangrousi with some leftover shredded cabbage. Good but not quite what I'm used to flavor-wise, will have to try some different sauce recipes.

Not the most attractive dish either, always just kind of a pile of oily dark brown. But I love it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Do you have an oven with a broiler? Try that for the beans.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I’m trying to make biang biang noodles from scratch (https://youtu.be/SiBnK5DcWCU), and it’s not working out. The dough is sticky and difficult to roll out, and when I try pulling on it it breaks apart extremely easily. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: I ended up adding a couple tablespoons more of flour, and kneading it for an extra 5 minutes. It still really didn't like being stretched out, so I ended up rolling them out with a jar of hondashi instead. They're still tasty, but I wonder if there's an easier kind of noodle to make. Or maybe I'll just buy premade...

Also, I had no idea the core concept of noodles was so simple. Gives me a use for all this leftover flour I have.

Try rolling your dough out into the portions you like, then resting that way. The longer they rest at room temp in the shape that you're going to pull them, the more pullable they will become. Just be careful not to let them dry out. I would use a little oil and plastic wrap or butcher paper to cover.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Grand Fromage posted:

My weakass stove is not capable of blistering beans without overcooking them. Went for no blister and properly cooked. I'm thinking of trying to grill them next time, tossed in oil first.

Also made jiangrousi with some leftover shredded cabbage. Good but not quite what I'm used to flavor-wise, will have to try some different sauce recipes.

Not the most attractive dish either, always just kind of a pile of oily dark brown. But I love it.

Got a kitchen torch?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Grand Fromage posted:

That jiangrousi looks great. What sauce did you use and what do you suspect it’s missing?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nickoten posted:

That jiangrousi looks great. What sauce did you use and what do you suspect it’s missing?

I did:

4 tb water
2.5 tb tianmianjiang
1/2 tsp dark soy
1/2 tsp black vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 tb regular soy

Also I pre-cooked the cabbage so it wouldn't release a shitton of liquid into my sauce.

It tasted fine but just different. Of course it's a Beijing thing and I was eating it in Sichuan, so maybe this is more like it's supposed to taste. I'm not sure what it's missing, it was kind of flat and not as sweet as I remember. I think I'm going to add the garlic/ginger/green onion aromatic mix and use more oil, I didn't have enough. Also my tianmianjiang is pretty old, doesn't seem like it goes bad but might just replace it anyway.

Also I'm now realizing I didn't add any MSG so that didn't help, I'm a dumb dumb.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 31, 2019

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I made disanxian 地三鲜 and it ruled a lot today. i know it's been posted a bunch of times but i've been slightly altering a few recipes and here's the one that's been best so far.

what you need:

1. garlic 大蒜
2. spring onions 小葱
3. shaoxing wine 料酒
4. light soy sauce 生抽
5. salt 盐
6. white pepper 白胡椒
7. msg (if you aren't afraid of THINGS TASTING BETTER) 味精
8. 1 big 'ol potato (or more) 一个大土豆
9. 2~ green peppers 青椒 (or whatever color, or more!)
10. 1~2 chinese eggplants. 茄子 the long guys, not the fat guys. for a ratio you probably want eggplant > potato >> pepper in this dish so you can kinda figure out how much you need.
11. corn or potato starch 玉米淀粉/红薯淀粉
12. sesame oil 芝麻油
13. some sort of neutral cooking oil with a high smoke point (obv). I like peanut oil. 花生油 but you be you
14. sugar 白糖

here is how to make:

1. smash up like 4-6 cloves of garlic depending how much you wanna make.
2. cut up a few spring onions
3. make your sauces cuz you do that first in chinese cookin.

sauce 1, the sauce:

i do about a 2:1 ratio of light soy sauce (生抽)to shaoxing wine (料酒). for this you can start with like 2ish tablespoons of soy sauce and half that of shaoxing wine. then add just a little drip of sesame oil, maybe like 1 teaspoon or less, and then however much white pepper and sugar you feel like. I added more sugar than white pepper, maybe like double-ish. Salt I'm always pretty skimpy on since shaoxing wine and soy sauce are salty af. put the msg in here too.

anyway mix that crap up and put it to the side.

4. mix up some water with the corn or potato starch to make the slurry. i always do a 2:1 ratio here as well with water:corn starch. i'd say 2~3 tablespoons of water and then half of that for your thickening agent.

5. peel and cut the potato up. you want nice bite sized chunks, dont worry about uniformity that much just make sure they're similar-ish sizes.
6. at this point i always heat up a good amount of oil in my wok to medium/high heat. you want enough there is a very shallow pool of oil at the bottom of your wok cuz we're gonna shallow fry the potatoes but it doesn't need to be too too much.
7. throw the potatoes in. these take the longest to cook, probably 6-8 minutes or so. mix them up every couple of minutes so they don't burn but you shouldn't continuously be stirring since we want those golden crispy sides
8. at this point i chop up the peppers and eggplant but if you're a good chef you probably do all this at the start. you want the peppers in pretty decent sized square-ish pieces. for the eggplant get them in bite sized chunks as well.

9. by the time you're done this you've hopefully been stirring your potatoes up and theyre nice and brown mostly and not burnt. just throw the peppers in at this point and mix it up a bunch until the peppers start to blister a bit. this shouldn't take long, like 2-3 minutes.

Here is what my potat looked like when I put the peppers in. Browned up on most sides but not 100% done yet.

10. remove the veggies from the wok but leave the oil in. you should have a nice coating going on for your eggplant.
11. throw the eggplant in, make sure it's in an even layer so everything is touching the pan. depending on the size of your wok and how much you're making you may need to do 2 batches here. one recipe i found had some good advice of covering the wok and waiting like 1-2 minutes then mixing up the eggplant and repeating 4~ish times till they're cooked up.

12. once that's done remove the eggplant as well, you can just throw it on top of your potato and pepper.

13. add more oil if you need to, then heat it up over high heat and throw your garlic in. once that gets cookin and smelling nice throw all your veggies in then the sauce mixture we made earlier. Mix it all up.

14. now re-mix up your slurry since it's probably settled and throw that and most of the spring onions in. mix it up now and it'll get that thick goopy sticky sauce we want. coat everything in that delicious sauce.

15. put it in a dish and sprinkle the rest of the spring onions on it so it looks nice and you're done!!!

it's a lot of steps but this cooks very fast and when you get used to it you can probably throw it together in 15~ minutes or so which is why i like it (and why i do dumb things like chop veggies while I'm waiting for my potatoes to cook to save time).

anyway enjoy!!!

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Yessss 420 eat 地三鲜 errday. One of the simplest yet best genuinely vegetarian/vegan Chinese dishes in my opinion.

e: I feel like in general Dongbei food doesn't get the love it deserves compared to other regional cuisines.

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 31, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Do you have an oven with a broiler? Try that for the beans.

It is too small, they end up steaming unless I make a hilariously tiny amount. RIP to me.

Known Lecher posted:

e: I feel like in general Dongbei food doesn't get the love it deserves compared to other regional cuisines.

Dongbei food fuckin rules. Even living in Sichuan, the Land of Good Food, we went out for Xinjiang and Dongbei all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I've got a question.

About 20 years ago there was a jar of spicy noodle (I think?) sauce you could buy in the UK that was loving delicious, but I've not been able to find it since, and have forgotten exactly what it was. It's a massive long shot but if some goon can point me in the right direction my mouth (but not my rear end) will be eternally grateful.

It might have been Chinese, or Thai, I'm leaning towards Thai, came in a short fat glass jar that looked similar to Lee Kum Kee's. You just stirred about a tablespoon or two's worth into noodles, and that was basically it - you could add other stuff if you wanted to but you didn't need to. It was a fairly light colour, possibly yellow-ish, and had lots of bits in it, more of a sauce than a paste but still quite thick. In terms of flavour, it was like the delicious background flavour that a lot of other sauces and pastes have but brought to the front and really strong, quite a dry flavour but a tiny bit sour too. It was possibly a bit yellow/black beany but much stronger, a bit like a satay sauce but without the peanut flavour. No fish or oyster sauce flavour.

Has anyone got the faintest idea what I might be talking about?