Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Lewd Mangabey posted:

Dwelling Place by Erskine Clarke is a great semi-academic history of a specific plantation in coastal Georgia. The white owners left nice diaries and letters, with the patriarch being fairly well known at the time as a religious leader, so there's lots of narrative from that side. It's especially interesting since the white family started off as (relatively!) well-inclined to their slaves, viewing the slaves as humans with souls who deserved religious attention and some respect for their personhood. Of course, that only lasted until the system was tested, and as the years progressed towards the Civil War, the family became more reactionary and explicitly pro-status quo, which is interesting to see evolve. At the same time, the author narrates the lives of the slaves on the plantation, at least as well as he can given the relative lack of documentation on that side. It really gives the readers a chance to see what parallel lives were lived over the course of decades and generations. Highly recommended!

In a similar vein, we could also look into the journal of Thomas Thistlewood

I have only read a few quotes from it referenced in other material but those bits are all pretty horrible. Thistlewood managed a plantation in Jamaica in the 18th century and spoiler alert: there is a ton of rape and violence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is The Lost World nearly as good as Jurassic Park? Just read it and it was rad as hell. It was my first Crichton book but if he’s consistent I’m stoked to keep reading his stuff.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

Is The Lost World nearly as good as Jurassic Park? Just read it and it was rad as hell. It was my first Crichton book but if he’s consistent I’m stoked to keep reading his stuff.

Andromeda Strain, Airframe, and Timeline are all real good Crichton, in my opinion.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
it's not as good but if you liked jp you'll like lost world. one of chrichton's best imo

under no circumstances read disclosure, rising sun, state of fear, or next

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

chernobyl kinsman posted:

it's not as good but if you liked jp you'll like lost world. one of chrichton's best imo

whats wrong with disclosure?

e: havent read it, only seen the movie

TommyGun85 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 20, 2019

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Is that the one in which Michael Douglas gets throat cancer from eating too much pussy?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

TommyGun85 posted:

whats wrong with disclosure?

e: havent read it, only seen the movie

its dogshit ideological polemic like most of crichton's worst novels, and also its boring as hell

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Any good and cool hard sci fi stuff out lately? I'm just about done with Seveneves and I read Children of Time and Aurora before that.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I'm looking for, uh, "historical fiction" that takes place during or around any of the events of the Bible. I know there's an entire genre of "biblical fiction" but I'm hoping for something that isn't so pushy with religious morals.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bowser posted:

I'm looking for, uh, "historical fiction" that takes place during or around any of the events of the Bible. I know there's an entire genre of "biblical fiction" but I'm hoping for something that isn't so pushy with religious morals.

Waltari's The Secret of the Kingdom? (Haven't read it yet :newlol:)

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 23, 2019

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
id like a book about the bible that doesnt actually touch on any of that icky biblical stuff

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

id like a book about the bible that doesnt actually touch on any of that icky biblical stuff

This was a pretty lovely snipe, even for you. Asking for fiction set in a Biblical setting that isn't explicitly Christian fiction is a reasonable request.

This isn't a perfect response to what OP is asking for, but King Jesus by Robert Graves is at least non-Judeochristian in its viewpoint. It basically argues for the historical Jesus as a type of Graves' sacrifical king motif. It's an interesting read, even if you don't buy what Graves is selling.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

Waltari's The Secret of the Kingdom? (Haven't read it yet :newlol:)
It is pretty pushy with the morals but a fairly good read nonetheless.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

It is pretty pushy with the morals but a fairly good read nonetheless.

Oh, darn, I guess I'll not read it for another 27 years then.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

bowser posted:

I, Claudius is one of the best novels ever written. Jesus (or Jacob in the novel) appears but the events take place mostly in Italy rather than in Judea.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Lewd Mangabey posted:

Asking for fiction set in a Biblical setting that isn't explicitly Christian fiction is a reasonable request.

its very dumb actually

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Seriouspost: you're dumb

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jerry Cotton posted:

Seriouspost: you're dumb

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

bowser posted:

I don't know poo poo about the Bible or how Bible-adjacent you're looking for here but the Roma Sub Rosa series by Steven Saylor is a series of mystery novels set in ancient Rome that brushes up against quite a few actual historical events and figures. The novels weren't written in chronological order but they take place from around 90 BC to 44 BC.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

its very dumb actually

go gently caress yourself, buddy!

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

bowser posted:

The Red Tent? I never read it but I guess it got pretty popular. Not sure how religious it is, but it comes from a Jewish perspective instead of a Christian one, so I assume it’s less obnoxious.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

I started it and I’m enjoying it. Jurassic Park kept me so hooked that it’s worth reading a slightly worse second book for more. I’m enjoying Malcom’s ridiculous math rants and even though it’s gruesome Crichton has a gift for describing dinosaurs mauling people. Dennis Nedry scene won’t be forgotten soon.

Should I add Sphere to the list? I do like the movie a lot.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Rolo posted:

Should I add Sphere to the list? I do like the movie a lot.

Read The Andromeda Strain next.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

funkybottoms posted:

Ok deal. Also I never saw that movie so nothing is spoiled.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Agent355 posted:

Any good and cool hard sci fi stuff out lately? I'm just about done with Seveneves and I read Children of Time and Aurora before that.

Read the 'Three Body Problem' yet? The trilogy it's part of is pretty hard sci-fi though more inline with something like Contact instead of big spaceship battles. It's also written by a Chinese author so it comes from that viewpoint/culture point which is really cool in that context. The translations are really good with footnotes explaining references that Westerners may need.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rolo posted:

Ok deal. Also I never saw that movie so nothing is spoiled.

Yeah I'd say read that then I really liked Sphere for what it was. I assume you'll get a lot more from the book than the movie. Eaters of the Dead was also pretty good, though a bit of a departure from his regular style, I thought.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

whoa easy there Thomas Jefferson

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

bowser posted:

I have no idea where you would find a used copy these days, but:

quote:

A band of Bronze Age mercenaries face the supreme enemy--Yahweh, the Lord of the nation of Israel--in Jericho Moon, the sequel to Iron Dawn. The barbarian princess Barra and her compatriots take on the job of rescuing the prince of Jebusi (Jerusalem) from the tribes of the Habiru. But rescuing him is the easy part--compared to the challenge of saving the entire city of Jebusi from the righteous slaughter that the Habiru war-leader Joshua and his thousands of warriors have planned. Barra can't turn down the role of savior; not only is the prince of Jebusi an attractive guy, but the city's goddess has made it clear that Barra is her chosen champion, and the city hasn't a chance without her. Jericho Moon is filled with thoroughly scary magical battles--think thunderbolts, hail of stones, and other demonstrations of godly wrath. While there is still some humorous by-play, as when Barra meets some barbarians from her homeland at a fancy party, this book is darker than Iron Dawn and the subject matter more risky. (Yet Yahweh does shine as a vengeful and merciless villain.) Jericho Moon is first-class fantasy entertainment, stuffed with likable characters, brawling adventures, and heroic struggles. --Blaise Selby
https://www.amazon.com/Jericho-Moon-Matthew-Woodring-Stover/dp/0451456785/ref=bseries_primary_1_0451456785

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

funkybottoms posted:

My first exposure to Crichton was in high school, with Jurassic Park. My next exposure was The Andromeda Strain, and it was so boring that I haven't touched him since.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Agent355 posted:

Children of Ruin (Children of Time sequel) wasn’t bad! You should try that out.

The Luminous Dead is hard sf in that the technology is imperfect and doesn’t like, gloss over human characteristics. But it’s really in a sub genre of “cave horror”, and it’s ok.

This year was kind of a wash for the genre. I liked The Light Brigade a lot, but it’s about time travel so not really hard sf. Except that the time travel mechanic is extremely confusing and hosed up.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
can someone recommend a book about dealing with a loss of a family member or friend (fiction would be best, but open to nonfiction as well)

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
So this is a specific request, but I just played Life is Strange 2 Episode 3 and I'm keen for a book about dumbass hippies and homeless people living in the woods. I really enjoyed Into the Wild when I read it last year.

I find most of the stories about living away from modern society tend to be survivalist fantasies whereas I just want to read about idiots ruining their lives. Any ideas?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

succ posted:

can someone recommend a book about dealing with a loss of a family member or friend (fiction would be best, but open to nonfiction as well)

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. Non-fiction but doesn't really read as such. Early 20s guy loses both his parents within months of each other and raises his much younger brother (6 years old or so iirc)

Lisey's Story by Stephen King. Not really like most of his stuff, most similar to Bag of Bones but much better. His best actual writing cum writing imo.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Beartaco posted:

So this is a specific request, but I just played Life is Strange 2 Episode 3 and I'm keen for a book about dumbass hippies and homeless people living in the woods. I really enjoyed Into the Wild when I read it last year.

I find most of the stories about living away from modern society tend to be survivalist fantasies whereas I just want to read about idiots ruining their lives. Any ideas?

The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac. They're not ruining their lives, though.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

succ posted:

If it's for a kid, Judith Viorst's The Tenth Good Thing About Barney.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Beartaco posted:

God that brings to mind that Harrison Ford flick Mosquito Coast. Maybe The Poisonwood Bible?

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

tuyop posted:

The Imperial Radch trilogy by Ann Leckie sounds right up your alley.

Just coming back to this far far later. You were correct, I’ve just finished the third book and am incredibly disappointed that there likely won’t be a fourth (to close out the Presger and Anaander story lines). I actually listened to all three books as narrated by Anjoa Andoh, she was definitely one of the reasons I got sucked in as much as I was.

Thank you for the recommendation.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
I'm headed to Berlin in a few weeks and before I go I would like to read some historical fiction (nonfiction is also OK) focused on or around Berlin — WWII or Cold War era. Something in the vein of "The Kites" by Romain Gary would be amazing. Or maybe there's a quintessential book about the Berlin Wall falling, or the divide in the city? Or a more modern, abstract take on the division? If it helps, I enjoy journalists who then go on to write realistic fiction (Vasily Grossman, Arthur Koestler). Anything to give me a vibe of the city and/or history and/or major themes. Any recommendations are appreciated!

grahm fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 4, 2019

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

grahm posted:

I'm headed to Berlin in a few weeks and before I go I would like to read some historical fiction (nonfiction is also OK) focused on or around Berlin — WWII or Cold War era. Something in the vein of "The Kites" by Romain Gary would be amazing. Or maybe there's a quintessential book about the Berlin Wall falling, or the divide in the city? Or a more modern, abstract take on the division? If it helps, I enjoy journalists who then go on to write realistic fiction (Vasily Grossman, Arthur Koestler). Anything to give me a vibe of the city and/or history and/or major themes. Any recommendations are appreciated!

nonfiction but erik larson's in the garden of beasts is really good. read it just before my own trip to berlin this summer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

grahm posted:

I'd actually suggest a movie

quote:

Wings of Desire (German: Der Himmel über Berlin, lit. 'Heaven Over Berlin') is a 1987 romantic fantasy film directed by Wim Wenders. The film is about invisible, immortal angels who populate Berlin and listen to the thoughts of its human inhabitants, comforting the distressed. Even though the city is densely populated, many of the people are isolated or estranged from their loved ones. One of the angels, played by Bruno Ganz, falls in love with a beautiful, lonely trapeze artist, played by Solveig Dommartin. The angel chooses to become mortal so that he can experience human sensory pleasures, ranging from enjoying food to touching a loved one, and so that he can discover human love with the trapeze artist.

Inspired by art depicting angels visible around West Berlin, at the time enclaved by the Berlin Wall, Wenders and author Peter Handke conceived of the story and continued to develop the screenplay throughout the French and German co-production. The film was shot by Henri Alekan in both colour and a sepia-toned black-and-white, the latter being used to represent the world as seen by the angels. The cast includes Otto Sander, Curt Bois and Peter Falk.

For Wings of Desire, Wenders won awards for Best Director at both the Cannes Film Festival and European Film Awards. The film was a critical and financial success, and academics have interpreted it as a statement of the importance of cinema, libraries, the circus, or German unity, containing New Age, religious, secular or other themes.

quote:

Meanwhile, actor Peter Falk arrives in West Berlin to make a film about the city's Nazi past. Falk was once an angel, who, having grown tired of always observing and never experiencing, renounced his immortality to become a participant in the world. Also growing weary of infinity, Damiel's longing is for the genuineness and limits of human existence. He meets Marion in a dream, and is surprised when Falk senses his presence and tells him about the pleasures of human life.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 4, 2019