Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like this is one of the first times I've read to one of these novels where it turns out the author did in fact think of what you can use magic for. in this case, WW2-style fire storms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
another thing that came up in the TWI discord: Califor(nia) wildfires

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Latest Into the Mire: ”At least there was no possible way their destination could be as horrible as the last one.”

Uh huh. Sure. There isn’t any foreshadowing going on here. Weird, ancient, scorpion caves are just good fun.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Affi posted:

Holy poo poo Jason you're getting kinda messed up there... (patreon chapter latest)

This was a while ago but I assume you were talking about what is now the latest non-patreon chapter and man, that was pretty hosed up. I feel like the story's veering a little hard into protag as a sociopath lately.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

M. Night Skymall posted:

This was a while ago but I assume you were talking about what is now the latest non-patreon chapter and man, that was pretty hosed up. I feel like the story's veering a little hard into protag as a sociopath lately.

Turns out the title is kind of a clue about what the story arc will be. I'm not enthusiastic about it, but I guess it's still readable for now.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI Patreon: :tviv:

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

M. Night Skymall posted:

Eh

I’m assuming he’s performing for the audience. I wouldn’t feel comfortable describing the “real” Jason at this point.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Anias posted:

Eh

I’m assuming he’s performing for the audience. I wouldn’t feel comfortable describing the “real” Jason at this point.

Going out of your way to build up an elaborate image of yourself as a sociopathic rear end in a top hat, as he has been for the past twenty or so chapters, is hardly a sign of mental health either.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
For now I am assuming he is just a great method actor, and has watched too many horror movies.

I like the 'trying to be a good person, despite everything' thing the story has going.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Megazver posted:

Going out of your way to build up an elaborate image of yourself as a sociopathic rear end in a top hat, as he has been for the past twenty or so chapters, is hardly a sign of mental health either.

Except he also spent days at a time being kind and demonstrating empathy to the non-Essence population?

I think he’s deceptive, but I don’t know that his mental health prior to vast trauma was sociopathy, and I think he’s acted more in line with post trauma than active malevolence so far.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
On one hand it seems obvious that he's hamming it up for psychological warfare, that's a valid tactic. On the other hand, the way he's doing it is making enemies unnecessarily.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Anias posted:

Except he also spent days at a time being kind and demonstrating empathy to the non-Essence population?

I think he’s deceptive, but I don’t know that his mental health prior to vast trauma was sociopathy, and I think he’s acted more in line with post trauma than active malevolence so far.

sociopathy isn't a mental health diagnosis

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

TWI 6.46 E: I guess Wiskeria is Sasuke now. RIP Califor.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Cicero posted:

TWI 6.46 E: I guess Wiskeria is Sasuke now. RIP Califor.

A big flaming stink posted:

Califor(nia) wildfires

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Cicero posted:

On one hand it seems obvious that he's hamming it up for psychological warfare, that's a valid tactic. On the other hand, the way he's doing it is making enemies unnecessarily.

But he's doing exactly what the matriarch wants him to do. Seems clear to me the lesson he knows well that the clan at large doesn't really get is, "Death is scary and ugly and very close at hand when you're adventuring." Some of the Geller family might have a lowered opinion of him, but many of them will probably get the point that adventuring is not a game. That could work in Jason's favor in the future, and having Danielle or whatever her name is as a closer ally is definitely a big plus.

Jason isn't a sociopath. He's putting on a show in VR that he was implicitly asked to put on.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Wait, when the hell did TWI get an audiobook?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I think my only reservation with what Jason is doing is that it’s constantly hammered in that the simulation is indistinguishable from reality. I can absolutely buy an otherwise perfectly normal person turning into an absolute monster of a heel while playing a video game, but when you’re actually trussing someone up from a tree, slitting their throat, and taunting their teammates by desiccating their corpse in front of them and using it as a shield and it’s perfectly lifelike then there’s something wrong with your head.

Oh, also, grinding someone’s face into the mud so that they choke to death while bleeding out is extremely hosed up. I’m legit hoping this gets more development, it would absolutely suck if he gets a pass on it because he was doing it on someone’s request and it was just a simulation.

e: i just read the latest chapter and, welp

blastron fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 25, 2019

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Hungry posted:

So, I've been writing a web serial for almost nine months now, called Katalepsis.

It's an urban fantasy story / lesbian supernatural soap opera, with a little bit of a horror coating. I didn't want to link it here until I was certain I'd be sticking with it, so here it is. New chapters currently every Saturday, though I'm trying to build up to twice a week instead. I'm not an incredible writer or anything, and I guess the story can get a little grisly at times, so it might not be to everyone's taste. If anybody does check it out, I sincerely hope you enjoy it.

So I checked this out, I read the whole thing, it is pretty drat good! Not just for a web serial either, I actually ended up taking a break from the novel I was reading to catch up with this story instead.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

blastron posted:

I think my only reservation with what Jason is doing is that it’s constantly hammered in that the simulation is indistinguishable from reality. I can absolutely buy an otherwise perfectly normal person turning into an absolute monster of a heel while playing a video game, but when you’re actually trussing someone up from a tree, slitting their throat, and taunting their teammates by desiccating their corpse in front of them and using it as a shield and it’s perfectly lifelike then there’s something wrong with your head.

Oh, also, grinding someone’s face into the mud so that they choke to death while bleeding out is extremely hosed up. I’m legit hoping this gets more development, it would absolutely suck if he gets a pass on it because he was doing it on someone’s request and it was just a simulation.

e: i just read the latest chapter and, welp

It's not indistinguishable from reality because THEY KNOW IT'S FAKE.

I'm on the Patreon and won't go into spoilers but this gets discussed further in the story.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

It's not indistinguishable from reality because THEY KNOW IT'S FAKE.

Waterboarding is considered legit torture because it feels like drowning, even though people who are subjected to it know they're not. He did something to that dude that's much worse than waterboarding.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

All in all I had a lot of fun reading, so thanks for being a cool writer person and sharing a neat story with us!

Plorkyeran posted:

I read through chapter 4.2 of useless lesbian ghost adventures on a plane flight today. It was good.

Thank you both very much! I'm delighted that people are enjoying my story.

Musluk posted:

I thought she was malnourished.

The ambiguity may be intentional.

Patrat posted:

So I checked this out, I read the whole thing, it is pretty drat good! Not just for a web serial either, I actually ended up taking a break from the novel I was reading to catch up with this story instead.

Ah! Thank you, that is a very significant compliment. I know my style isn't the best, but I'm glad people are getting something real from reading it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Caught up with PracGuide. I like how Catherine now realizes her "justifications only matter to the just" motto on her standard is kinda cringe and is trying to figure out how to remove it without causing a fuss. It's also neat seeing her gradually become the character who out-thinks and tricks other characters, instead of just the one who manages to outmaneuver people by the skin of her teeth (and even that was often part of some events outside of her control earlier on). The scene with Scribe was pretty good. I'm pretty sure she just got tricked by Tyrant, though. Tyrant was being very vague and she was inferring all the stuff about Malicia using the zombification alchemy on her own from things Tyrant was saying that could mean something completely different.

Hanno is also kind of strange/interesting as a character. He seems unusually thoughtful and "unbiased" for a Named/hero but also it's kinda hosed up how he flips a coin and beheads people.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Plus, this would be kinda cheap but the goat makes a great way to get around his inability to lie- he can just name a goat Malicia or First Prince or whatever, and have his pets re-enact misdirections so he can describe them to people.

Hungry posted:

I know my style isn't the best, but I'm glad people are getting something real from reading it.

For what it's worth, it's probably in the top 20% of serials when it comes to technical writing; everyone can always get better, but it's not like Ward or Mother of Learning where there are constant writing problems or linguistic oddities to trip over. It scans fine and most people have a distinct voice, which is a better foundation to work from than some authors start with. ^^

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Prac Guide 5.81:What's the list of people who have made treaties with the Queen of Callow? (this formulation is probably specific)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Think we might have seen enough of the rules of Raising the Tower to actually play it now.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Cicero posted:

Think we might have seen enough of the rules of Raising the Tower to actually play it now.

It seems kind of interesting.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I'm a huge rear end nerd so I wrote out the rules, as best as I could figure them out from the latest chapter: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VNvIErv3D6YV48A8grvRMxxSugtkUlkrw1K60GrMfDE/edit?usp=sharing

Think I'm in agreement with the Dead King, I...I'm not sure it's actually a good game at all. Still planning on trying it out at least once, though.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Cicero posted:

I'm a huge rear end nerd so I wrote out the rules, as best as I could figure them out from the latest chapter: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VNvIErv3D6YV48A8grvRMxxSugtkUlkrw1K60GrMfDE/edit?usp=sharing

Think I'm in agreement with the Dead King, I...I'm not sure it's actually a good game at all. Still planning on trying it out at least once, though.

It may be a bad game in the way that monopoly was intended to be.

edit: Now that I've read the chapter, I'm certain of it. The game is absolutely intended that way.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 27, 2019

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

It would be funny if the game accidentally reflected on the crapsack nature of their world- like, we hear Cat and Akua going "Oh my god, Hakram's game is brilliant, it's the most realistic simulation of politics and rulership we have ever seen," then we see the rules in action and it's like 90% dice luck and 10% mean-spirited broken mechanics.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
yeah if I want to play a psychological diplomacy game that ends with everyone hating each other forever I'll just play Diplomacy

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

yeah if I want to play a psychological diplomacy game that ends with everyone hating each other forever I'll just play Diplomacy

Dominions. I don’t have my logs anymore but I think I hate you.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Dominions. I don’t have my logs anymore but I think I hate you.

I've only played in like maybe ten or so goongames of Dominions but that's probably enough!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Why have any other rules. We've run popularity contest right here on the forums - straight voting 1 player out per round, majority vote, no other mechanics.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Katalepsis posted:

“Praem?”

“I lied.”
I didn't see that coming.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I didn't see that coming.

...so I didn't see the quote's source, and thought that Praem was a nation in PracGuide and that I'd somehow missed Tyrant figuring out how to lie. (Which would be a heck of a twist, to be sure.)

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.
So this last Ward interlude is one of the first time in years that a story has made me physically sick to my stomach.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Ward's been making me sick to my stomach since the prologue.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Illuen posted:

So this last Ward interlude is one of the first time in years that a story has made me physically sick to my stomach.

It's good to see that, now that it's been made extremely explicit, the people in the comments have finally (mostly) come around to realizing that Amy Is Bad.

Amy is actually a pretty well-written antagonist, in that her mindset and behavior are pretty realistic for an abuser.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

It's good to see that, now that it's been made extremely explicit, the people in the comments have finally (mostly) come around to realizing that Amy Is Bad.

Amy is actually a pretty well-written antagonist, in that her mindset and behavior are pretty realistic for an abuser.

oh yeah, she's one of my favorite characters in Worm/Ward, for certain values of favorite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Welp, here comes Dread Emperor Benevolent.