Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Ok so now everyone 100% agrees that global warming is a big dangerous deal and it's gonna kill us all. Then we go about solving the problem by <blank>?

There's no loving ideas. Nobody has a plan to deal with this. We need to stop emitting loving yesterday but if we stop then billions of people die. That's the catch 22. The only reason there/s 7.5 billion people alive right now is because we burn hydrocarbons like there's no tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

We need to stop emitting loving yesterday but if we stop then billions of people die. That's the catch 22.

Hey you almost got it: it doesn't matter what anyone does, gigadeath is coming.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

The Protagonist posted:

Oh thank god, just be honest with the billionaires everyone, that's what we were missing, we'll be fine.

Please, we are not doing nearly enough to scare the poo poo out of people as is. Most of the planet is in denial or jumping on any paid fluff piece that plays down the poo poo storm that's coming.

The individual has the power to tell everyone around him/her "BTW guys, we are in big loving trouble and if we don't act now, that book 'the road' will be our best case scenario".

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Please, we are not doing nearly enough to scare the poo poo out of people as is.

Now you're close to getting it. You know what scares the poo poo out of people? The possibility their head might be forcibly removed from their body.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Protagonist posted:

Now you're close to getting it. You know what scares the poo poo out of people? The possibility their head might be forcibly removed from their body.

And you know how you do that? You make the average man/women very scared in a way they cannot ignore, cannot hide away from. You make them fear and worry and have to "stare into the sun".

So the question should now be: how do we really make people get really scared about how hosed they are.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Hi I'm everyone and I'm real friggin' scared about global warming. What are we going to do to stop the globe warming too much?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Hi I'm everyone and I'm real friggin' scared about global warming. What are we going to do to stop the globe warming too much?

We're gonna scare you more. This will do the trick

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

More like : "your going to die, your going to die horribly, it's going to happen on your life time, you will have to deal with it, the worst death you can imagine is going to happen to you more than likely"

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Okay how do we deal with it

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Protagonist posted:

Okay how do we deal with it

Well I'd wear a ghost costumer for extra fear factor.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I am way more scared of you than I am of global warming right now.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Kunabomber posted:

See as a POC, this kind of rationalization makes me really goddamn nervous.

It shouldn't, per se. It's just a change in branding, not content.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

I am way more scared of you than I am of global warming right now.

That's only because that joke was low hanging fruit.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Sep 25, 2019

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Democracy:

https://scholar.princeton.edu/sites/default/files/mgilens/files/gilens_and_page_2014_-testing_theories_of_american_politics.doc.pdf

quote:

Multivariate analysis indicates that economic elites and organized groups representing business interests have substantial independent impacts on U.S. government policy, while average citizens and mass-based interest groups have little or no independent influence.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
realtalk guys i haven't read the last few pages because it was turning into an argument about whether democracy is good or bad, a question without an answer. let's all talk about our climate change plans instead. people accuse me of cheap gimmickry but this plan is 100% sincere and i am about halfway through it, and what is also true is that it started when ariel sharon appeared in my dreams on the night of his death and told me he was my new spirit guide sent to bring me safely through the endtimes. anyway,

1) settle yourself on a plateau midway up a mountain range, facing the coast. if you can get a place with thick unbroken forest between you and the coast, good - forests act as a giant transpirator, controlling the absorption of ocean winds and the evaporation of moisture into the clouds, which dampens the winds and ensures regular rain on the foothills. the colder the better

2) locate your nearest river valley (good) or series of wetlands (better). this is where you'll hide from forest fires. find the nearest accessible high point. this is where you'll watch for invaders (you can locate intruders by the birds that they disturb)

3) don't live alone

4) plant oranges, lemons, rosemary, thyme, lavender, pomegranates and almonds. keep goats, quail and ostriches, with a donkey to drag loads. keep dogs. learn the ways of the native fauna, because they know the land better than you do. befriend the hawks. befriend the wolves. befriend every creature

5) find yourself a spring-fed river and trace it to its source. this is where you gather water. rainwater is safe too. never drink the water in the lowlands. gather water whenever you can, however you can

6) if you didn't learn how to fight young, your time between now and the future is better spent learning how to hide

7) if you've never killed an animal, learn to kill an animal (in the manner of a kosher butcher, religiously bound to cause no pain and bring on death without even the knowledge of its impending arrival)

8) never trust a white man

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ok so now everyone 100% agrees that global warming is a big dangerous deal and it's gonna kill us all. Then we go about solving the problem by <blank>?

There's no loving ideas. Nobody has a plan to deal with this. We need to stop emitting loving yesterday but if we stop then billions of people die. That's the catch 22. The only reason there/s 7.5 billion people alive right now is because we burn hydrocarbons like there's no tomorrow.

I have an idea, but nobody is going to like it.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

fauna posted:

realtalk guys i haven't read the last few pages because it was turning into an argument about whether democracy is good or bad, a question without an answer. let's all talk about our climate change plans instead. people accuse me of cheap gimmickry but this plan is 100% sincere and i am about halfway through it, and what is also true is that it started when ariel sharon appeared in my dreams on the night of his death and told me he was my new spirit guide sent to bring me safely through the endtimes. anyway,

1) settle yourself on a plateau midway up a mountain range, facing the coast. if you can get a place with thick unbroken forest between you and the coast, good - forests act as a giant transpirator, controlling the absorption of ocean winds and the evaporation of moisture into the clouds, which dampens the winds and ensures regular rain on the foothills. the colder the better

2) locate your nearest river valley (good) or series of wetlands (better). this is where you'll hide from forest fires. find the nearest accessible high point. this is where you'll watch for invaders (you can locate intruders by the birds that they disturb)

3) don't live alone

4) plant oranges, lemons, rosemary, thyme, lavender, pomegranates and almonds. keep goats, quail and ostriches, with a donkey to drag loads. keep dogs. learn the ways of the native fauna, because they know the land better than you do. befriend the hawks. befriend the wolves. befriend every creature

5) find yourself a spring-fed river and trace it to its source. this is where you gather water. rainwater is safe too. never drink the water in the lowlands. gather water whenever you can, however you can

6) if you didn't learn how to fight young, your time between now and the future is better spent learning how to hide

7) if you've never killed an animal, learn to kill an animal (in the manner of a kosher butcher, religiously bound to cause no pain and bring on death without even the knowledge of its impending arrival)

8) never trust a white man

Are you a white man? You are, aren't you. I don't trust any of that :colbert:

Meanwhile I've now learned about maintaining and operating a combine harvester, so my personal plan is slowly coming along. Next I might go back to school for an agronomy degree, just so I'll know how to adapt with the changes. Also, I can hunt meeses now. Moosen. Big brown meat things. Got myself a new rifle and everything.

It's gonna be fine.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Where the gently caress am I gonna get an ostrich or a plateau.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Nice piece of fish posted:

eurasian jewish woman

Shima Honnou posted:

Where the gently caress am I gonna get an ostrich or a plateau.
internal migration and networking

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Meanwhile I've now learned about maintaining and operating a combine harvester, so my personal plan is slowly coming along. Next I might go back to school for an agronomy degree, just so I'll know how to adapt with the changes. Also, I can hunt meeses now. Moosen. Big brown meat things. Got myself a new rifle and everything.

It's gonna be fine.
legitimate question (i don't get to meet many american hunters irl because i'm in australia), what are your opinions on the following animals

1) wolves

2) coyotes

3) chamois

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Learning how to live off the land is fine as a hobby or for your personal development but it's not going to keep you alive, because when things are so bad you can't get food in stores or drinking water from the taps the remnants of governments/corporations/militaries sure as hell aren't going to let you have personal access to the last tiny patch of arable land or fresh water source on the continent. Your climate change survival strategy should just be doing the same things you do to survive late stage capitalism (accumulation of capital or technical skills that make you useful to the ruling class) so you can be first in line in the water distribution queues.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

fauna posted:

legitimate question (i don't get to meet many american hunters irl because i'm in australia), what are your opinions on the following animals

1) wolves

2) coyotes

3) deers (all species)

Me neither.

1) extinct in Norway, immigrant wolves ought to be shot as foreign to the current ecosystem

2) don't exist in Norway

3) roe deer are delicious but hard to hunt, deer are delicious and farmed organically (wild forest grazing) in extremely low numbers, moose are almost a pest species but are kept down in numbers by hunters. They suck to carry, since environmental laws forbid general motor transport outside of roads in Norway. All deer populations are meticulously curated to preserve bodiversity and stock.

fauna posted:

eurasian jewish woman

I don't know what this means. Also I'm nordic, so therefore very white skinned. Just out of curiosity, am I "white" to you or just, you know, white. On the trustworthyness scale. I don't feel like I have quite the same baggage that an english white male or an american white male might have. Mind you, loving white males run this country too so maybe I'm still on the hook.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

It's gonna be fine.

Please don't hunt moose into extinction. We're going to lose enough things without you hungry fucks finishing off everything else.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Learning how to live off the land is fine as a hobby or for your personal development but it's not going to keep you alive, because when things are so bad you can't get food in stores or drinking water from the taps the remnants of governments/corporations/militaries sure as hell aren't going to let you have personal access to the last tiny patch of arable land or fresh water source on the continent. Your climate change survival strategy should just be doing the same things you do to survive late stage capitalism (accumulation of capital or technical skills that make you useful to the ruling class) so you can be first in line in the water distribution queues.

Sure, but learning to farm is probably not a bad idea because none of the above is capable of growing their own food. It's loving harder than it looks, and the skillset is huge. I figure being both useful to people in power and useful to -everyone- is a solid strategy, all the while being able to feed me and my own.

Please don't hunt moose into extinction. We're going to lose enough things without you hungry fucks finishing off everything else.

Pest species. There are so many of them we couldn't if we tried, and the government only allows a certain quota based on stock numbers. Meese are going nowhere until the forests and farms collapse, at which point we're all hosed anyway.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Foul Ole Ron posted:

The moment we could use our imaginations and build tools made your argument invalid. Give it time, even heat death could become just another problem to solve.

Hahaha, loving what? This is that pure poo poo, uncut hopium, never stepped on.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Me neither.

1) extinct in Norway, immigrant wolves ought to be shot as foreign to the current ecosystem

2) don't exist in Norway

3) roe deer are delicious but hard to hunt, deer are delicious and farmed organically (wild forest grazing) in extremely low numbers, moose are almost a pest species but are kept down in numbers by hunters. They suck to carry, since environmental laws forbid general motor transport outside of roads in Norway. All deer populations are meticulously curated to preserve bodiversity and stock.

I don't know what this means. Also I'm nordic, so therefore very white skinned. Just out of curiosity, am I "white" to you or just, you know, white. On the trustworthyness scale. I don't feel like I have quite the same baggage that an english white male or an american white male might have. Mind you, loving white males run this country too so maybe I'm still on the hook.
oh poo poo i'm so sorry, i just default on this site to "everyone is american" and expect the same in return. sorry to call you an american

1) fair enough

2) alas

3) i edited this question to chamois but in context deer is a better question, thanks for answering! that's a fascinating insight, in australia we have a huge feral deer population because people introduced them for hunting and insist on their populations being maintained (kangaroo and goats are the only other large mammals around, people want antlers for their walls) and they do huge damage to our montane forests. i'm actually going to go do more research on deer management in norway now, as a major pest species they're of interest to me and hunting control in scandinavia isn't an angle i've thought about

thanks for answering! you are white by ariel's definition, but i trust scandinavians more than russians, whom i trust more than non-german europeans, whom i trust more than germans, whom i trust more than americans, and white australians i trust least of all

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I'm reliant on insulin and digestive enzymes, my climate plan is to die

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
The moment poo poo sets off everyone's going to get the same idea to go to the forest and they're gonna hunt everything big enough to be edible to extinction within a few weeks.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

The moment poo poo sets off everyone's going to get the same idea to go to the forest and they're gonna hunt everything big enough to be edible to extinction within a few weeks.

More likely a bunch of people will die from trying to eat inedible poo poo

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Shima Honnou posted:

i actually had the same instinctive idea of how it will go, but i'm starting to think i was wrong. it is really amazing how afraid people who were born and raised in the city are of the wilderness. there is always the odd individual who got a heap of time in the bush as a kid and is perfectly comfortable fleeing the city for the woods, but in my experience the vast majority of urban people (which is the vast majority of people, globally) are terrified of the bush and they would rather starve in the city than take their chances outside

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

unwantedplatypus posted:

More likely a bunch of people will die from trying to eat inedible poo poo
also this lol

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

fauna posted:

oh poo poo i'm so sorry, i just default on this site to "everyone is american" and expect the same in return. sorry to call you an american

1) fair enough

2) alas

3) i edited this question to chamois but in context deer is a better question, thanks for answering! that's a fascinating insight, in australia we have a huge feral deer population because people introduced them for hunting and insist on their populations being maintained (kangaroo and goats are the only other large mammals around, people want antlers for their walls) and they do huge damage to our montane forests. i'm actually going to go do more research on deer management in norway now, as a major pest species they're of interest to me and hunting control in scandinavia isn't an angle i've thought about

thanks for answering! you are white by ariel's definition, but i trust scandinavians more than russians, whom i trust more than non-german europeans, whom i trust more than germans, whom i trust more than americans, and white australians i trust least of all

Interesting.

Australia is a unique kind of hosed in terms of pest species, I can't even begin to imagine how you cope.

Norway has a net massive influx of moose due to climate change loving up and burning swedish forests. There's a lot of effort put into maintaining, surveilling and managing our massive forests and wild game populations. Our issues are mostly focused on sustainable managment and preservation of huge protective zones, and we are still I believe a net grower of forests.

That said, we have been blessed with very few invasive species as not a lot survives our winters. We are currently (due to climate change) being invaded by wild boars and racoon dogs. We've also a substantial mink population from escapees from fur farms, they like it by the coast and are decimating bird stocks.

The bad news though? Even with extremely active managment, north atlantic cod stocks and related fish stocks are loving plummeting due to environmental changes to spawning grounds and pollution from aquaculture farms (salmon), which are incidentally killing all the plankton with delousing chemicals. Knock-on effects on top of knock-on effects, and even the recent general ban might be too little too late. The fish are going. It's not gonna be good when they're gone.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

fauna posted:

i actually had the same instinctive idea of how it will go, but i'm starting to think i was wrong. it is really amazing how afraid people who were born and raised in the city are of the wilderness. there is always the odd individual who got a heap of time in the bush as a kid and is perfectly comfortable fleeing the city for the woods, but in my experience the vast majority of urban people (which is the vast majority of people, globally) are terrified of the bush and they would rather starve in the city than take their chances outside

In most famines, people stay home and move as little as possible. A mass starvation will not look like locusts decending, it will look like the black death. Ghost towns, corpse filled houses. Unless order fails completely.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

unwantedplatypus posted:

:smith: :sympathy: i hope you get a climate miracle! they can and will happen

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
There's easily enough rural people with guns to finish off what habitat loss doesn't. There's going to be no refrigeration so even a big ol bucks is only good for a few days. And how many people do you that know how to smoke or salt meat to preserve it?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Maybe its a desire for self-preserving optimism, but I actually don't think it'll turn into mad maxx. I think people are more likely to band together, at least on a local level, rather than kill each other.

Of course I'm more hoping for a revolution of self-preservation before collapse. Maybe this is where we're forced to get off the Capitalism train

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Interesting.

Australia is a unique kind of hosed in terms of pest species, I can't even begin to imagine how you cope.

Norway has a net massive influx of moose due to climate change loving up and burning swedish forests. There's a lot of effort put into maintaining, surveilling and managing our massive forests and wild game populations. Our issues are mostly focused on sustainable managment and preservation of huge protective zones, and we are still I believe a net grower of forests.

That said, we have been blessed with very few invasive species as not a lot survives our winters. We are currently (due to climate change) being invaded by wild boars and racoon dogs. We've also a substantial mink population from escapees from fur farms, they like it by the coast and are decimating bird stocks.

The bad news though? Even with extremely active managment, north atlantic cod stocks and related fish stocks are loving plummeting due to environmental changes to spawning grounds and pollution from aquaculture farms (salmon), which are incidentally killing all the plankton with delousing chemicals. Knock-on effects on top of knock-on effects, and even the recent general ban might be too little too late. The fish are going. It's not gonna be good when they're gone.
seriously thanks so much for this insight. everybody wonders nowadays about how scandinavia is doing, and this was a great summation (of norway, but with extra details like "sweden is burning down")

our summers are the limiting factor on pest animals in the desert, but unfortunately our highlands have a beautiful temperate climate that is perfect year-round for northern hemisphere species. deer aren't doing as well as goats, and i don't think they'll handle the drying-out of the forests, so they should soon be a self-solving problem. goats will always be an issue, but goats are the devil, that's like, their thing

the fish going is heartbreaking on so many levels. part of my emotional coping mechanism is just, not thinking about the ocean more than is strictly necessary. i have enough to despair over on-land

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

unwantedplatypus posted:

That production won't fail this century. If it does, keep pigs and extract your own.

There's easily enough rural people with guns to finish off what habitat loss doesn't. There's going to be no refrigeration so even a big ol bucks is only good for a few days. And how many people do you that know how to smoke or salt meat to preserve it?

Me? Everyone on every nearby farm I know of?

Mass hunting has diminishing returns. Game gets scarce when hunted, which is why we have seasons. People start hunting constantly, it's quickly gonna become a net calorie loss. Not a lot of roads well into the mountain wilds.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Mass hunting has diminishing returns. Game gets scarce when hunted, which is why we have seasons. People start hunting constantly, it's quickly gonna become a net calorie loss. Not a lot of roads well into the mountain wilds.
and then they begin to hunt... the most dangerous game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

hence the learning to hide bit