Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fabricated posted:

He seems to be unwilling to go too over the top in terms of fights; in a world where people can blow up buildings with their brains like 80% of the fights are settled by punching/kicking someone in the head or dropping something on them and knocking them out.

The fights that break out of the vague/half-hearted realism stuff tend to be good- yeah I get it, if someone with some multiple of human strength or fists made of metal or whatever punches you in the head in real life you'll get knocked out (and suffer brain damage) but maybe just turn the craziness knob up a bit.

This is a world where the Top Hero was Punch Hardest Man. The person who replaced him is Punch Hardest By Default But With Fire Man. To be fair to that though Fire powers (and many others) are usually given to villains for a reason, because the logical result of their use on people is death.
But I agree He's not being especially creative, for example Todoroki could be using a tool that uses steam to launch ice balls instead of the stick out hand -> wide Ice/Fire AoE.

I will have to say Horikoshi had a chance to set a hard ceiling on how much devastation quirks can do and smooth out the power creep curve, but he passed that line pretty fast.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
One arc people ITT are forgetting

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
New theory: Aoyama's power doesn't actually give him stomach problems, he's just lactose intolerant and refuses to stop eating cheese.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm also seeing pictures of a new translated chapter of vigilantes out and it's not on Shonen Jump yet. Weird.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I'm also seeing pictures of a new translated chapter of vigilantes out and it's not on Shonen Jump yet. Weird.

It was accidentally released 2 days early. It was quickly taken back down, but a bunch of people had already seen it by then.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

But I agree He's not being especially creative, for example Todoroki could be using a tool that uses steam to launch ice balls instead of the stick out hand -> wide Ice/Fire AoE.

I can think of dozens of neat ways for him to use his Quirk-using his ice to create melee weapons if he's stuck in a close-quarters situation, creating ice platforms under his feat to leap into the air, using fire to enhance his physical combat by adding flames to his strikes, creating a cage of fire or ice to prevent a foe from fleeing, and I'm sure there's more I can think of.

I think it may be intentional writing on Horikoshi's part that Shouto's first response to a combat situation is "Can I throw a massive wave of fire or ice at it?".

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Junpei posted:

I can think of dozens of neat ways for him to use his Quirk-using his ice to create melee weapons if he's stuck in a close-quarters situation, creating ice platforms under his feat to leap into the air, using fire to enhance his physical combat by adding flames to his strikes, creating a cage of fire or ice to prevent a foe from fleeing, and I'm sure there's more I can think of.

I think it may be intentional writing on Horikoshi's part that Shouto's first response to a combat situation is "Can I throw a massive wave of fire or ice at it?".

It absolutely is intentional that most of the heroes in training respond with either punching or overwhelming force when the most famous and popular hero ever used both and nothing else to do just about everything.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This is the comic where the super villain with the power to steal superpowers and had been doing so for years combined all his stolen quirks together to make a larger fist so he could punch good.

Maybe Horikoshi is just more comfortable writing fights with very straightforward brute force choreography.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

AfO would absolutley be a munchkin who abuses splatbooks in 3.5 to make the most powerful characters possible while forcing people to play with his awful rear end.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SyntheticPolygon posted:

This is the comic where the super villain with the power to steal superpowers and had been doing so for years combined all his stolen quirks together to make a larger fist so he could punch good.

Maybe Horikoshi is just more comfortable writing fights with very straightforward brute force choreography.

I think AfO was going for the irony kill there(what if I beat the ultimate punchman with a better punch?), since his entire gameplan had already shifted to "what can I do to humiliate/torture All Might the most?".

That said, Horikoshi does seem most comfortable when writing fights where people win by punching harder.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kanos posted:

I think AfO was going for the irony kill there(what if I beat the ultimate punchman with a better punch?), since his entire gameplan had already shifted to "what can I do to humiliate/torture All Might the most?".
I don't know if that's the intended reading, but it's my reading now.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

PMush Perfect posted:

I don't know if that's the intended reading, but it's my reading now.

Considering AfO is actually flat out listing all the quirks he’s using to make the most powerful punch ever, and it is a rather different way of fighting then he showed against All Might previously or against Best Jeanist I think it’s intended.

AfO goes for the super punch when he thinks he’s already won and All Might has no way to answer, and is then surprised when All Might pulls out United States at the last second instead of dying. Basically he wasn’t intending to outpunch All Might, he was just trying to humiliate him in his dying moments.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Considering AfO is actually flat out listing all the quirks he’s using to make the most powerful punch ever, and it is a rather different way of fighting then he showed against All Might previously or against Best Jeanist I think it’s intended.

AfO goes for the super punch when he thinks he’s already won and All Might has no way to answer, and is then surprised when All Might pulls out United States at the last second instead of dying. Basically he wasn’t intending to outpunch All Might, he was just trying to humiliate him in his dying moments.

Not only was he intending to outpunch him, he deliberately held back listing that he had impact reversal, which meant that even if All Might landed the blow, he'd just send the force right back into him. Not only that, but symbolism is an important part of the story, All Might was the Symbol of Peace, Shigaraki is becoming the Symbol of Villainy. With the camera's all watching, it's not just about killing All Might, it's about breaking society. After all they were still believing in him seeing his true form. He could have just stayed out of range and kept firing air blasts until All Might died. He could have also TELEPORTED HIMSELF.

Another very important All For One thing is that he's very, very trapped in "This is how stories go." in his mind. He purposefully uses framing tricks to cast himself as the hero or "Well I need to lose and 'die' because that'll be the catalyst for Shigaraki's growth. And All Might, you should have died too, because with you alive, your Protege can't grow."

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Junpei posted:

These tricks require a level of control that I don't think either Todoroki Sr. or Jr. have. Sure, they can emit fire (and ice) with perfect control of force and trajectory and source point, but neither has displayed any feats of fire (or ice) control once it's out.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The new chapter's out and all of this hinging on Endeavor picking up on what Hawks is putting down is just :ohdear:.

Also :laffo: at Hawks calling Deku the kid who keeps blowing up his fingers. Deku's intentions were heroic back in his fight with Todoroki but it just seems to have given him a bad rep to pro heroes.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Taking the time to read and comment on a new chap without linking it should be an instant sixer.

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/my-hero-academia/en/0/244/page/1

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Taking the time to read and comment on a new chap without linking it should be an instant sixer.

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/my-hero-academia/en/0/244/page/1

Mangastream translation https://readms.net/r/my_hero_academia/244/6221/1

edit: Jamini translation was much better this week.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 27, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I suspect that Endeavor's gonna get it, but either send the kids to look into it, or else he's going to go in half-cocked and actually need assistance.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Is this entire arc relying on A TODOROKI picking up on subtext and not taking everything literal? We're screwed.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mulderman posted:

Is this entire arc relying on A TODOROKI picking up on subtext and not taking everything literal? We're screwed.

Why do you think Deku and Bakugo are there?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

NEW VIGILANTES

PRINCE IS DOWN!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Endeavor reading the book and, after Hawks behaves suspiciously, deciding that Hawks is a traitor and sincere convert for the Villain Alliance/Liberation Army mash-up and trying to murder him in 3.....2.....1......

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Vinylshadow posted:

Why do you think Deku and Bakugo are there?

They weren't around when he first mentioned it so they probably don't get the context.

Vigilantes was freaking amazing!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vigilantes is the best spinoff.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm about to go from 0 to obvious in 8 words: Hawks hid a coded message in the book.

that duck
Mar 23, 2013

Hawks' speech made me imagine Liberation guys going door to door offering books and saying "Have you heard the good news? Liberation is coming! (Destro, 6:13)"

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Kyte posted:

These tricks require a level of control that I don't think either Todoroki Sr. or Jr. have. Sure, they can emit fire (and ice) with perfect control of force and trajectory and source point, but neither has displayed any feats of fire (or ice) control once it's out.

We saw Endeavor make a spear of fire to throw at a Noumu during the Stain arc.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i like that endeavor can just make it oppressively hot near him. as dumb as it sounds i feel "its really uncomfortable to be by a roaring wildfire to the point where it's actively demoralizing and harmful" is an underplayed aspect of fire powers a lot of the time compared to just burning things.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, Endeavor's mere presence being dangerous area suppression is both a powerful and useful ability and also really appropriate given what a dick he is.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Okay, this looks bad, but I think Oboro's gonna be fine. Sure, we haven't seen him in the present, but he's probably just touring the Americas or something.

Like some sort of journey to the West.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Introducing the best character only to immediately kill him off feels kinda unnecessary

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

New poster for the new movie:

-Look, more traumatized children for Deku to save!
-Hawks is going to make his anime debut in the movie!
-One of the villains looks like he's from the Trio de Dangers

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hell yeah, King Explosion Murder Fister Man front and center.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Those don't look like Umakoshi's designs which is kinda interesting

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
WOLF WITH CIGAR

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Viridiant posted:

WOLF WITH CIGAR

Glad to see Komamura found work after Bleach.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Viridiant posted:

WOLF WITH CIGAR

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fabricated posted:

Those don't look like Umakoshi's designs which is kinda interesting

He designed the main villain and the girl villain so I imagined he designed the other ones too.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Hell yeah, King Explosion Murder Fister Man front and center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
uh what is wrong with mineta's face? and is the little girl supposed to have flippers?