Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nenonen)
What should the presidential powers be in 2020?
This poll is closed.
UNLIMITED!!!! URKKI 2.0!!!!!! 3 23.08%
Sauli should be allowed to telecast to our homes whenever he pleases, but that should be the limit. 2 15.38%
He should be limited to writing mildly worded letters to HBL and other provincial newspapers. 2 15.38%
None. More power to Sanna & Katri & Maria & Li & Anna-Maja & Jenni! 2 15.38%
Unlimited, but every decision must be subject to a plebiscite. 0 0%
None, but the president's life must be video streamed 24 /7 for the duration of their term, with no censorship. 4 30.77%
Total: 13 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Nenonen posted:

Jarilta on tullut uusi kirja! Ei, ei tämä ole mitään sperma-slapstickiä, tämä on jotain vielä parempaa!

Sitten ei kun odottamaan luentokiertuetta.

Great, Nietzsche is one of my favourite philosophers. Can't wait to read it and complain what he got wrong. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

If we ever get a fascist regime in this country, I'm blaming Jari Ehrnrooth for it

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

These oafs and ghouls who praise the uplifting qualities of work while themselves living a white-collar life in the lap of luxury really tick me off. What the gently caress is human existence about if not hedonistic and cultural and intellectual pursuits? What the gently caress is the value in drudgery? What is so noble and virtuous about sitting at the cash register at Alepa or selling natural remedies to people on the phone? Just admit that you are trying to persuade people into accepting their misery as a virtue because you will extract all the benefits from that misery.

Elukka posted:

This government is weird. I don't really believe they'll do any massive positive change and I'm sure they'll do stupid things, but it's not the constant barrage of FUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOU I'm used to.

For me the barrage of FUCKYOUFUCKYOUFUCKYOU is getting re-targeted at the media and especially the newspapers, who at this rate will be just as bad as the British press is when it comes to mainstream left-wing parties and their leadership.

The government is also incredibly hobbled by having to have kepu in the coalition, but the counter-factual of a cock coalition is probably even worse as far as outcomes go. Doing anything about carbon while burning all that peat on taxpayer subsidies is hopeless and kepu is trying to square the circle of not seeming as hating-the-poor as under Sipilä while simultaneously not rolling back all the kepu achievements of the past coalition like kiky and aktiivimalli.

This whole employment target thing by 2023 is a ridiculous straitjacket on sane policy and we would not have it without neoliberal balanced budget rhetoric and kepu using it as leverage within the coalition to have their way.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
What frustrates me the most with the current government is the lack of communication. The government parties lack coordination, it's hard to know what exactly is going to happen until the very last minute. The changes are good so far, but I fear the regular voter will get the picture the government is just spinning in place doing nothing. It also doesn't help that Antti Rinne hasn't stopped being a bumbling fool, like when he was tricked by the French to be their mouthpiece of their grievances with Britain.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Rinne has said a lot of frogs, but that one is one that I specifically feel like has been wildly exaggerated by the press. For one, no one outside of Finland cares about this thing. For two, since Article 50 extensions require unanimity from all member states, France and Finland are fully entitled to lay out that they want to see something concrete by a given time limit before October 31st or before the October summit. The only thing that seems to be sticking into anyone's craw is that the EU has striven to maintain a united front against the UK, but the focus there has been to stop the UK from leveraging individual member states to ease off the pressure, not increase it. And the Macron-Rinne statement prompted the UK Brexit Secretary to say that oh, actually, we need a whole year to figure out alternative arrangements for the backstop, which exposed them as the charlatans they are.

Basically, if Petteri Orpo had done this with Macron, he'd be lauded as an able statesman who was finally laying down the law for the unruly Brits and forming a strategic friendship with a major EU member state.

On the other hand, Rinne's dealing of the Posti fracas has been woeful and he should have just let Paatero do all the talking. One-time payouts to compensate for massive wage cuts? Using postal workers as part of the sote solution?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Anyone with problems about the brexit thing doesn't really understand the situation. The UK parliament is completely splintered in a fashion that prevents any kind of a brexit deal being approved before an election whatsoever. The only short term solution that will stop the UK hermorrhaging companies and capital is a hard brexit as soon as possible. After that negotiations can begin. I mean I'm not a fan of Boris or anything, but the parliament's insistence on extending the departure to the moon is not viable in any fashion. The UK is already hosed, sure, but it'll just get worse and worse the longer this goes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No you Talouselämä-reading gently caress.

The only real problem is the backstop.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
huvittavin tilanne brexitissä ois se että heidän parlamentti peruu sen mutta unkari tai puola sanoo että "lähtekää jo"

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/OtsoKivekas/status/1174568975788859397

Oh noes the green lefties are bringing out Paleface again to the Climate Strike event

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I said it before and I'll say it again, if your strike is asks for permission it is not a real strike. If you students feel so strongly about this how about you strike for a week and don't ask permission.

Excuse me, can I fight the power? Thank you sir.

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

doverhog posted:

I said it before and I'll say it again, if your strike is asks for permission it is not a real strike. If you students feel so strongly about this how about you strike for a week and don't ask permission.

School strikes can never be real strikes, that's why permission can be granted in the first place. Children can be expected to start out confused and playing at collective political activism is probably a good thing in any case, like hopefully they'll have become smarter at fighting the power as young adults than students of earlier generations were.

Producing a more convincing veneer of radicalism for an action that has only the most minimal disruptive content might be worse for dispelling confusion.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Small children get a pass, sure.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

doverhog posted:

There are some individuals committed to the fight. Why there isn't a larger children's climate crusade, who knows. I suspect your typical social commitments with school/work/friends/hobbies/parents.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Triple A posted:

huvittavin tilanne brexitissä ois se että heidän parlamentti peruu sen mutta unkari tai puola sanoo että "lähtekää jo"

Britannian parlamentti voi perua sen Artikla 50:n yksipuolisesti, mutta jos haluavat lähteä sopimuksen kanssa niin tarvitaan kaikkien EU maiden hyväksyntä ja sen voisi kaataa Puola tai Unkari. Samoin mahdollisissa Brexitin jälkeisissä neuvotteluissa voisi heittää kapuloita rattaisiin kuka vaan.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

There are some individuals committed to the fight. Why there isn't a larger children's climate crusade, who knows. I suspect your typical social commitments with school/work/friends/hobbies/parents.

Call me old fashioned, but in the end studying hard is a better strategy for fighting anthropogenic climate change than striking hard. I'm not saying that the climate strike movement is bad, but not every kid has to go full Greta Thunsberg to achieve what is to be gained from it.

On a very positive note, Thomas Cook's bankruptcy is going to disrupt the least useful industry of them all. Destroy all runways.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Call me old fashioned, but in the end studying hard is a better strategy for fighting anthropogenic climate change than striking hard

"Well now we're ready oh wait what it's literally too late already?"

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you
The current perusopetuksen OPS is making sure the kids are getting their share of vihervasemmistopropaganda ekososiaalinen sivistys, so the finnish school system is kinda good in that regard. The kids are probably getting course credits for doing the strike

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Look, if you haven't studied at least a bachelorship in Kaljakellunta then I don't think you deserve a chance to survive when we enter the full Waterworld phase. :colbert:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jerry Cotton posted:

We've got roughly thirty years. Fifty, if we put enough resources into sequestering carbon.

Problem being that we need an economic system that doesn't punish you for the environmentally friendly choices. That may take some work and time.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

endlessmonotony posted:

We've got roughly thirty years. Fifty, if we put enough resources into sequestering carbon.

Problem being that we need an economic system that doesn't punish you for the environmentally friendly choices. That may take some work and time.

By we you mean the world in general. The reason most long scope IT firms are pushing capital into Finland is that we're actually not going to collapse. I mean a lot of places are hosed as it is. The good part is that global economy is slowly coming to the same realization. Global commercial institutions have better feelers for what's happening than most countries, and they understand they can't make profits off a dead world. I just hope they make the necessary adjustments soon enough, because the loving countries sure won't.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

That timeframe is way more optimistic than anything I've seen about about climate change

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

That timeframe is way more optimistic than anything I've seen about about climate change

The fifty years is for a complete collapse of the western economic market I think. It's more like 20 for mass migrations to begin, and massive unrest in the undeveloped world.

e: Also so I'm not being ambiguous here. Both of those things are almost a certainty at this point. It's more just what comes after that's what at stake at this point.

e2: And while people itt have called me ligur2 and whatnot. I want to make clear that I've voted straight vasurit/greens(pre-2002) my entire life. I don't know how to fix anything, but I'm not a loving persu. Whatever who gives a poo poo. We all burn together.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 23, 2019

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The timeframe is "collapse to the point where we have to choose between food now and restoring the environment for later".

Isolated regions of the global south are already hosed over by extreme weather and that'll only keep getting worse, but we're now at the stage where we need to actively compensate against global warming to slow it down. We're past preventing or stopping it, but not beyond building a new world that can survive what has been done. Sequestering carbon, be it by reforestation or burying it, will still make a massive difference.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
pääpaino hommassa oisi erityisesti se että kiina, saksa, intia ja yhdysvallat keskittyisivät siirtymään hiilivoimasta ydinvoimaan ja uusiutuviin sekä kehittää hiilivarastointitekniikkaa laivoihin ja raskaan teollisuuden tarpeisiin

tietysti, metsiä sinne jossa on tilaa ja sopiva puuvalikoima paikalliselle ilmastolle

se mihin suomen pitäis keskittyä on infran parantaminen julkisen/rahtiliikenteen suhteen ja ympäristötekniikkateollisuuden tukemiseen

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Soija- ja mantelituotteet kiellettävä.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
olkiluoto 3 käyntiin heti kun ehditään ja ehkä myös aletaan nelosreaktorin rakentamista heti jotta se on ennen vuotta 2050 valmis

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We had 30 years to fix it 30 years ago. We now have 0 years.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
We had thirty years thirty years ago to save the coastal cities.

We can still have those cities in the same places. Using stilts.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
What makes you think all those people living in those un-stilted coastal cities wouldn't just sell their houses and move?

e: But then all the Turkuian people spread throughout Finland.

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Sep 24, 2019

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you
Please tell me Turku will sink

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Golden Gate Bride posted:

Please tell me Turku will sink

It won't, but instead there will be a giant water vortex deep into the bowels of the earth.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

There are too many hills in Turku, they will just put the Funikulaari on cables to ride between the hill tops.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Remember that fun fact about how Finland's coastal line is advancing a little every year?

That means Finland won't sink, since the rising balances out.

This means Turku is unflushable.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

DanTheFryingPan posted:

What makes you think all those people living in those un-stilted coastal cities wouldn't just sell their houses and move?

e: But then all the Turkuian people spread throughout Finland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9FGRkqUdf8

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
As if it's not hard enough to keep that loving midget away from my youtube recommendations.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

bloom posted:

As if it's not hard enough to keep that loving midget away from my youtube recommendations.

I believe the preferred term is "halfling".

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

It's getting kind of farcical how incredibly mad Jan Vapaavuori and his party are that the other parties in Helsinki didn't want to pour one and a half billion euros into building a massive white elephant motorway tunnel under the city centre.

It's rough when having and driving your own car is such a core element of your identity.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
"eri näkökohtien kiihkottomaan punnintaan nojaten, sekä toisia poliittisia ryhmiä kunnioittavalla, ennakoitavalla ja vastuullisella tavalla.”

These are definitely things that come to mind when I think of Kokoomus.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Child birth is so low it's even worse than what the forecasts estimated.

Personally I'm blaming the Moomins for bringing anime here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Child birth is so low it's even worse than what the forecasts estimated.

Personally I'm blaming the Moomins for bringing anime here.

Hmmm, almost like telling people to have more babies when times are uncertain and there are objectively too many people on the planet. If only there was an alternative to an economical system that requires constant growth to function.