Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

armorer posted:

I haven't read through the thread because I really don't want any spoilers. I'm just starting, and sleeving the cards that aren't specifically boxed away. The rule book says there are 457 attack modifier cards, but I only have 2 shrink wrapped packs which run from 313 to 392 and 393 to 457. They have numbers 1 through 4, a letter m, a star, or look kind of like an eyeball.

Am I missing anything? Or are the other attack modifier cards inside the closed boxes?

They are in the various class boxes. If you open the classes unlocked from the start, you will see what I mean so this is not a spoiler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Kaza42 posted:

They are in the various class boxes. If you open the classes unlocked from the start, you will see what I mean so this is not a spoiler

Perfect, thanks!

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
a warning on a common pitfall: when you make a starting character, you play with an unmodified deck (so you take all the cards with one of the four numbers on them, should be 20 of each). the cards that come in your character's box are for upgrading your deck when you take perks

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

a warning on a common pitfall: when you make a starting character, you play with an unmodified deck (so you take all the cards with one of the four numbers on them, should be 20 of each). the cards that come in your character's box are for upgrading your deck when you take perks

Thanks, and yeah I've gone over a common pitfalls doc to beware of that sort of thing. I'm sure I'll still mess up monster movement though.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

armorer posted:

Thanks, and yeah I've gone over a common pitfalls doc to beware of that sort of thing. I'm sure I'll still mess up monster movement though.

there's an improved monster movement reference they made for forgotten circles, although it does contain an error https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2198004/monster-ai-reference-error

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

armorer posted:

I haven't read through the thread because I really don't want any spoilers. I'm just starting, and sleeving the cards that aren't specifically boxed away. The rule book says there are 457 attack modifier cards, but I only have 2 shrink wrapped packs which run from 313 to 392 and 393 to 457. They have numbers 1 through 4, a letter m, a star, or look kind of like an eyeball.

Am I missing anything? Or are the other attack modifier cards inside the closed boxes?

Classes have additional modifier cards they add to the 1/2/3/4 decks with perks. There's a lot of classes.

ETA: okay awful app don't tell me other people responded already

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

3 Scenarios completed this week, we both made it to level 5 with our new characters (saw, circles). I'm liking saw so far but looking at the level up cards it feels like I've already got the best cards. saw One thing I don't like about the class is the lack of good loot options. With 3 missions completed I've barely scraped together enough cash for a minor stamina potion after initial shopping.

#27: This mission was a great test of our new characters, just a pure combat arena against difficult enemies coming in every turn. It ended up being pretty close; I had 1 card left in hand, though my friend probably could've kept going for awhile. Getting a ton of gold for enhancements as a reward was pretty cool, I went with a pair of +1's to damage on my best level 1 attacks.

#33: Not sure if we did this one right, text says that once we open the last door an enemy spawns at the end of the current round, with another spawning after we grab all the objectives. This seemed like a pretty weak response when the text is hyping up how we'll be swarmed, but having one of these guys spawn at the end of every round seemed like it would be way too difficult.

#93: The terrain worked against us on this one, my poor circles friend had his entire gimmick ruined. I messed up at the end by killing the last monster too soon and we missed out on the non-treasure chest loot. Spooky compass is cool though.

Circles seems like a fun class to play but god drat does it make turns go long.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Saw: He gets a really nice card with a top loot 1 action at level 7, but it's pretty late. What I did to collect money with my first sawbones was upgrading hamstring with a jump with the 100 gold from the same mission you did, jumping in the middle of the enemy team, killing everything with hold back the pain + bloody saw, stamina poting bloody saw and using the bottom loot action on the next turn since I was immobilized anyway. I'd usually score 20 gold per mission.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Come over to the Gloomhaven LP Thread and help us pick our new character! SPOILER NOTE: we have just unlocked Two-Minis, so be warned if you don't want to get spoiled on it! Also since we're retiring our first character, the post has spoilers on the first 2 segments of the Town Records. We are also leveling up our Mindthief and our Cragheart and voting on some additonal stuff!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877469&pagenumber=80&perpage=40#post498615857

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Sep 26, 2019

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Gloomhaven Digital now has Tinkerer in the release version!

Also:
(1) Item durability is dead.
(2) You don't lose your gold and XP when you fail
(3) Sorry, no perks yet, which is a huge bummer.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

What are some good scenarios to aim for while looking to kill vermlings? I've only seen them pop up in a couple missions and usually not in large numbers.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

sirtommygunn posted:

What are some good scenarios to aim for while looking to kill vermlings? I've only seen them pop up in a couple missions and usually not in large numbers.

Scenario 9, Diamond Mine. It's short and also vermling-dense, but also easy because it's not a rout mission.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

sirtommygunn posted:

Scenario 17 has a ton of vermlings as well (scouts and a handful of shaman), as well as tons of money tokens, just saying. I ran that scenario in some free time recently as I have that personal quest and we hadn't seen a vermling in the last like 15 scenarios we played.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I have a rules clarification about eclipse :

So the card Concealed Dominance, am I wrong in my reading that this lets the eclipse literally just teleport anywhere on the map as long as they aren't going through a closed door?

Cause if so that is off the loving chain. . I don't even know if it's unbalanced but it's god drat intense. We just unlocked it and that class looks god drat crazy. Between it and lightning bolt and saw, we might be a little broken.

Also we tried the random scenario generator thing for the first time today and were actually super impressed? We all had very low expectations but it ended up being a super fun scenario. Plus we made a weird house-rule that the person who opens a new room is the one who picks a card so you can blame them and make jokes when they pull something full of really bad monsters. (Looking straight at you, sister who picked a room entirely full of snakes and oozes.)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Xiahou Dun posted:

I have a rules clarification about eclipse :
Yeah, that's correct.

That card is really useful but it's also a double loss with lovely middling initiative on a class with a small hand size. I think I only used it once or twice when I played the class but it was fantastic for those specific situations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Eclipse: I played the class all the way to level 8 and I had to look up that card, because I had no idea what it did. That should tell you something.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Eclipse and Three Spears: Eclipse is the single most broken class other than Three Spears with stamina potion abuse. It just deletes monsters with ruthless efficiency, and never dies because it can go invisible. A loss card that can do an infinite-distance teleport is the least of its power.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
The Eclipse solo scenario really tells you all you need to know about the class. Depending upon whether you try it at level 5 or wait a while, you have multiple different ways to construct the character to succeed, where several of the other solo scenarios for powerful characters really require you to use a specific tactic.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The solo scenario item also tells you a ton about the class.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Eclipse solo scenario is the least interesting and easiest one I've done too.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I did the eclipse solo scenario at maximum difficulty because why not?

I took one hit.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Just from looking at the solo scenarios of characters we've unlocked, three Three Spears scenario also seems a little on the easier side.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Just from looking at the solo scenarios of characters we've unlocked, three Three Spears scenario also seems a little on the easier side.

That might be the easiest one. Then again I had a jump enhancement.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Only 2 scenarios completed this week as we got our asses beat in one mission. Still, we made it to prosperity 5, unlocked a couple item designs, completed our personal quests, and received a cryptic message on the road.

Scenario #18: Ooze got us bad on this one. I think I've gotta work on my shuffling because they were splitting on nearly every turn. We didn't have a way to approach the oozes at the end of the last room (circles and saw) and we were already low on cards so we just went for the treasure and got murdered. Our luck was only slightly better on our second attempt as we knew to save our best cards for the last room and to rush to the back asap.

Scenario #72: This one almost got me as I ended up in melee with a couple vipers, an ooze, and a forest imp by myself while cutting down the first tree. I went to run, but the vipers got their double attack and immobilize card that had its initiative just slightly better than mine. Being poisoned, at 1 hp, and immobilized really sucks on turn 3. Fortunately my friend was able to swing back around and put some bodies between me and the monsters, and I gradually recovered from there. The scenario wasn't very hard, but it shows that I have to be more careful about my positioning.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Most people find scenario 72 quote hard. My group managed it first try only because I unloaded some lightning bolts power potion shenanigans.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It is certainly possible that we found it easy because we forgot to up the difficulty level after we leveled up and bought some major items. We also got lucky that the oozes never split when they were far away from us

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 2, 2019

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
My personal quest will unlock two minis and due to careless browsing I accidentally spoiled myself on how the class looks.

Two minis: Holy poo poo I'm not even annoyed I spoiled it. I expected it to be a pet thing but I did NOT expect a little loving vermling to be controlling a huge rear end bear. This owns and I am super excited to eventually get to it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Abisteen posted:

My personal quest will unlock two minis and due to careless browsing I accidentally spoiled myself on how the class looks.

Two minis: Holy poo poo I'm not even annoyed I spoiled it. I expected it to be a pet thing but I did NOT expect a little loving vermling to be controlling a huge rear end bear. This owns and I am super excited to eventually get to it.
Two Minis is seriously amazing. If you want to see it in action, head on over to the Let's Play thread (phone posting, dunno the link) where it is being played by yours truly.

That bear just shits out damage left and right. It's astonishing.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Abisteen posted:

Two Minis: it's the best melee dps class in the game. LOL.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Elephant Ambush posted:

Two Minis: it's the best melee dps class in the game. LOL.

It does really good damage per turn, but for us its DPS was pretty low as you gotta wait for your dummy two minis player(me) to say "I'm moving WHERE?" and try and pick appropriate cards. :cheeky:

Class rules.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So if you complete a solo mission and unlock the item, what happens when that character is retired? Does the item go into the shop?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That's the way my group played it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So if you complete a solo mission and unlock the item, what happens when that character is retired? Does the item go into the shop?
Yup.

As a houserule we allow a future character of the same class to re-run the same scenario for the same reward, unless someone else already bought it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/Cephalofair/status/1180252219280510976?s=19

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
imo this really buries the lede. it's got 4 NEW classes compatible with your current gloomhaven set!!!!

One is a Necromancer!!!!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Impermanent posted:

imo this really buries the lede. it's got 4 NEW classes compatible with your current gloomhaven set!!!!

One is a Necromancer!!!!

https://twitter.com/Cephalofair/status/1180253315264737280?s=19

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I will purchase Gloomhaven: Subtitle, and also think it needs to retain that name.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Impermanent posted:

One is a Necromancer!!!!

Has cross compatibility actually been confirmed? I wouldn't assume it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mojo Jojo posted:

Has cross compatibility actually been confirmed? I wouldn't assume it.

Yeah it has

https://twitter.com/Cephalofair/status/1180253760280334336?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
yea that's why i said it was burying the lede.