Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Part 5's fights are mostly great but it really needed some downtime in there. The characters are fun but there are so few opportunities for them to do anything but react to the fight immediately in front of them, it all just got tiring after awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

NickRoweFillea posted:

Part 6’s ending sours the whole part
But yeah, JoJo really took a major dip in quality for both 5 and 6. All Vento Aureo had going for it was top quality fights with the worst main group in the series.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
hate this thread sometimes

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

89 years old?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
araki used all his shonen powers on the flawless masterpiece that is part 4, it's only natural there would be a dip in quality and coherence afterwards

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Part 5’a fights are loving great and some of the characters are A+, that ending is just kind of a letdown.

Anyways, I’m finally caught up to the most recent chapter. I can’t wait to see how Araki ends part 8.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Part 6 is loving excellent you nerds

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

part 6 is good the ending sucks

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i'm sorry expect your mom

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I'm still baffled that people still defend Part 6's ending and even consider it a happy ending when it involves literally the entire cast save for one kid dying.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
they come back free of the joestar curse. its ok!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

they all come back as marginally different versions of themselves living much happier lives and emporio rides off into the sunset with them
the ending of hamlet this ain’t

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Augus posted:

they all come back as marginally different versions of themselves living much happier lives and emporio rides off into the sunset with them
No, they're all dead. The people at the very end aren't the characters "coming back", they're completely new people.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'd say it's bittersweet. Even though they're the same souls, they're different people, and that's hosed up even if they turn out better for it. Also FF doesn't come back with the rest of them so that's extremely hosed up.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

please. i'm not strong enough for this conversation again.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

sirtommygunn posted:

I'd say it's bittersweet. Even though they're the same souls, they're different people, and that's hosed up even if they turn out better for it. Also FF doesn't come back with the rest of them so that's extremely hosed up.

FF is still there you just can’t see her because she’s microscopic

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Aurora posted:

i'm sorry expect your mom
some crimes.......can neve rbe forgiven

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

I'VE GOT ANOTHER CONFESSION TO MAKE
I'M YOUR FOO
FIGHTERS

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

some crimes.......can neve rbe forgiven

:(

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Jojo Part 6 is the ultimate in Araki going all in on narrative logic at the expense of actual logic and it rules hard.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Annasui died, that's literally the happiest ending that's ever happened in manga.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
okay i forgive you now

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Honestly I was very down on part 5 before the anime but the more I think about it the more I like it, I think out of the three parts that tangle with the idea of characters standing up to fate and divine intervention its the one with the strongest theming. Diavolo being the embodiment of "the ends justify the means" as someone who always takes the easy, short route and focuses so much on "results" that they'll never reach the "truth" is rad. Giorno might be boring as gently caress but he's the kind of insanely determined and self-sacrificing person that the sleeping slaves must follow in order to change fate. These concepts might not be very well executed but they're at least thematically sound.

Also the music rules extremely hard and blows every other part out of the water. Giorno's theme is the best track in the whole franchise, fight me.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Augus posted:

johnny should have just let valentine bring back gyro from a different dimension, i mean he'd just be marginally different it doesnt really matter

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

somepartsareme posted:

johnny should have just let valentine bring back gyro from a different dimension, i mean he'd just be marginally different it doesnt really matter

uhh yeah that’s literally the conclusion that Johnny comes to, that even if it’s a different Gyro who doesn’t even know him, it would still be Gyro. that’s not the reason he shoots valentine. he shot valentine because valentine was going to stab him in the back the second act 4 was undone

Augus fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 3, 2019

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

somepartsareme posted:

You mean Valentine should've just done that instead of trying to shoot Johnny, who was totally willing to go along with that as long as Valentine didn't try to gently caress him over, and I agree.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

all jojo is good, except for the parts that are bad

NickRoweFillea posted:

Part 5’s ending sours the whole part

it's the opposite of part 7!

TheLoneStar posted:

I'm still baffled that people still defend Part 6's ending and even consider it a happy ending when it involves literally the entire cast save for one kid dying.

It's not a happy ending, but that doesn't mean it's not a well written or narratively compelling one.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i wouldn't argue that stairway to heaven is well-written as far as final bosses go

i guess pucci's defeat is better than diavolo's but shrug emoji

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The more I think about part 5, the ending especially, the more I dislike it. It has some of the best monster if the week fights ever, but the ending is just such a loving wet fart that it taints the whole thing.

It also doesn't help that Giorno is just so loving dull.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
about 18 eps in and buciarrati is the real protagonist to me

what is it with jojo where the side characters end up being so good though. my fav character overall is definitely polnareff and, to my knowledge, i think he comes back in either part 5 or 6 so im looking forward to that

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Part 6 has a cool ending because they died and went to a Heaven timeline

Maybe I’m wrong but that’s how I took it, suffering is over and they exist in a holy end where Made In Heaven succeeded but Pucci’s control was gone meaning all living things could unconsciously choose a better fate and create a living Heaven, and gravity drew their souls back together

I really liked that

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Emporio's really crying at the end because he realized that Annasui was dead and he was just so happy about that.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Funky Valentine posted:

Emporio's really crying at the end because he realized that Annasui was dead and he was just so happy about that.

lmao

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Aurora posted:

part 6 is good the ending sucks

part 6 is bad the ending rules

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Down With People posted:

part 6 is bad the ending rules

the duality of man

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

all media is bad

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i just passed the first arc of part 5 where the gang fights the boss's elite guard, the one where trish starts using her stand on the plane against the weird death-activated stand (also lol its called notorious big)

im imagining it'll become more clear when he's interacted with, but is king crimson meaningfully different than the world / star platinum? i might be dumb but i genuinely can't see how "erasing time" and the boss being able to move inside the "erased" time while nobody else can is different than just "stopping time"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Imagine if The World was used by a total idiot.

That's King Crimson.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

tbp posted:

i just passed the first arc of part 5 where the gang fights the boss's elite guard, the one where trish starts using her stand on the plane against the weird death-activated stand (also lol its called notorious big)

im imagining it'll become more clear when he's interacted with, but is king crimson meaningfully different than the world / star platinum? i might be dumb but i genuinely can't see how "erasing time" and the boss being able to move inside the "erased" time while nobody else can is different than just "stopping time"

He can briefly see the future before using it and stuff keeps happening in the erased time but otherwise it’s basically The World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

The thing about King Crimson is that, while you can figure out how it works at a single moment in the story, it’s exact function and limitations change frequently so attempting to make the whole thing fit together is not actually possible.

So, to answer your question - sometimes it’s like the World, sometimes it isn’t. USUALLY the idea is that everyone is ”locked” into what there’ll be doing for while it’s being used while the boss can do whatever he wants, with the added bonus of everyone else not being able to remember what happened, but even that’s inconsistent.

The Boss not being able to interfere with their movement during the erased time is another “sometimes” rule.