Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ummm, boomalopes??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Rimfeller is basically cheating as far as chemfuel is concerned.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Ummm, boomalopes??

Not available on the cold map I'm playing on at the moment.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Anticheese posted:

Not available on the cold map I'm playing on at the moment.

You can probably import 'em.

Or start a globe-hopping journey to bring them back to your settlement from a warmer climate...

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Arrath posted:

Rimfeller is basically cheating as far as chemfuel is concerned.
Yeah it's absolutely cheating but I still use it a lot anyway. And having thousands of units of chemfuel in big tanks makes things hilarious if something goes spectacularly wrong. :supaburn:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I thought Hygiene mod had a recent add of water need as a toggle able thing in mod options, which is why water treatment plant actually becomes of use.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah it does have drinking as a need and drinking contaminated water might make you sick, though the mechanics aren't really in depth, if you have toxic fallout or put the groundwater pump next to the poo poo pipe you have a good chance of contaminating your water tower, though you can do things like isolate the tanks in the event of fallout and run off your reserve. It's not very complex though.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Do i need to put a toilet and shower directly inside my prison for the prisoners to use them?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

jerman999 posted:

Do i need to put a toilet and shower directly inside my prison for the prisoners to use them?

Yeah, though you can use the Hygiene mod stall doors (I think).

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You can. They only really count as doors for the purposes of blocking LoS.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alternatively you can put a bucket in there and let them piss themselves.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Asimo posted:

Yeah it's absolutely cheating but I still use it a lot anyway. And having thousands of units of chemfuel in big tanks makes things hilarious if something goes spectacularly wrong. :supaburn:

I have a pyromaniac in my colony who lit my rimfeller setup on fire.

I now have firefoam poppers researched. 10/10 would recommend keeping pyromaniacs and chemfuel tanks together again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's why you install hygiene and put sprinklers everywhere :v:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I've used my Rimfeller setup to clear bugs.

It'd actually be kinda cool if explosions had dynamic sizing based on the area they occur in. Imagine four a bunker on the edge of a cliff defending your base, with door-sized gaps in the wall to shoot through. In vanilla, if a doomsday missile hits the outside, the blast will get funneled through the door an bloom out in a cone behind it, leaving the people on either side of the door untouched.

The bloom distance is based on the size of the original explosion. Fairly basic so far.

Now imagine an explosion with an area larger than the space it is contained in (say, oh, a gun). The blast gets shaped, and the force is concentrated along the escape vector. In Rimworld, this doesn't happen with explosions in confined spaces.

But what if it did?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Warmachine posted:

It'd actually be kinda cool if explosions had dynamic sizing based on the area they occur in. Imagine four a bunker on the edge of a cliff defending your base, with door-sized gaps in the wall to shoot through. In vanilla, if a doomsday missile hits the outside, the blast will get funneled through the door an bloom out in a cone behind it, leaving the people on either side of the door untouched.

The bloom distance is based on the size of the original explosion. Fairly basic so far.

Now imagine an explosion with an area larger than the space it is contained in (say, oh, a gun). The blast gets shaped, and the force is concentrated along the escape vector. In Rimworld, this doesn't happen with explosions in confined spaces.

But what if it did?

Construct-scale explosively formed penetrators?

I'm listening. :stare:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Warmachine posted:

But what if it did?

A big corridor with a room at the end full of petrol, light the petrol, create death star laser?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

What if a gun, but made out a building instead???

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The true reward of the hygiene mod is being able to reliably and consistently add a positive mood effect to everyone by giving them the squeaky clean modifier, and it doesn't feel unbalanced because of all the stuff you have to deal with to get there. Plus the AC system is cool. But secretly the best part about it all is that you get to design a fancy bathhouse. While my drug factory might be made of old wood and dirt, my colonists get to take a bath in ultimate luxury.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
A pic was posted a while back by someone hunting elephants with a 90mm Flak gun, which mod is that from? I need it for reasons.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

OwlFancier posted:

That's why you install hygiene and put sprinklers everywhere :v:

Those only turn on in the mornings, right?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Those only turn on in the mornings, right?

The irrigation ones yeah, but there are sprinklers that activate in a fire too

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fire suppression sprinklers work like poppers afaik.

Not that I've ever actually had either activate, I've yet to set anything on fire unintentionally while I had those available.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Tias posted:

A pic was posted a while back by someone hunting elephants with a 90mm Flak gun, which mod is that from? I need it for reasons.

Failing this, which mod works with latest edition and offers good/interesting manned turrets?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The flak gun is actually a combat extended thing, which also has some manned turret options.

OwlFancier posted:

Seems like the optimal way to hunt elephants.

CE also being what gives it ammo options and the effect of kicking up shrapnel all over the place when it explodes.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

More vanilla turrets gives me the Devastator mortar, which also makes for good elephant hunting.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

OwlFancier posted:

Fire suppression sprinklers work like poppers afaik.

Not that I've ever actually had either activate, I've yet to set anything on fire unintentionally while I had those available.

They're close, but I think sprinklers slowly shrink fires the way rain does and are reusable. Poppers cause a huge mess of foam to clean up and are one-time-use, but instantly delete fires, so they're the best for your chemfuel and mortar shell storages.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
They're also helpful on defensive points, given how many fire weapons get deployed in raids.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Keeshhound posted:

They're also helpful on defensive points, given how many fire weapons get deployed in raids.

poo poo considering how often by bunker catches on fire I should have thought of this long ago.

Tias
May 25, 2008

It appears combat extended is not compatible with the latest version of RW, what am I doing wrong :confused:

E: found the updated fork, never mind

Tias fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 1, 2019

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Danaru posted:

poo poo considering how often by bunker catches on fire I should have thought of this long ago.

The thing I was surprised by is that it wound up being most helpful for mitigating rocket launchers; after you get everyone geared up they'll usually survive the initial explosion well enough, but then they'll run around on fire and get shot to death. Instead firefoam extinguishes them instantly and they're back to shooting/stabbing assholes

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

The thing I was surprised by is that it wound up being most helpful for mitigating rocket launchers; after you get everyone geared up they'll usually survive the initial explosion well enough, but then they'll run around on fire and get shot to death. Instead firefoam extinguishes them instantly and they're back to shooting/stabbing assholes

This right here, with the added benefit that the foam prevents new fires from starting IIRC, so further incendiary weapons don't work as well either.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tias posted:

It appears combat extended is not compatible with the latest version of RW, what am I doing wrong :confused:

E: found the updated fork, never mind

It does wildly change the combat and you shouldn't use it with a huge pile of guns, just pick a couple of packs you like and get their patches. I use the CE guns pack and Rimsenal and that's more than enough variety given that you need to produce ammo for stuff too.

Top tip: produce AP ammo as soon as you can, and don't try fighting centipedes with anything less than a PTRS because nothing else will even scratch the bastards, they're literal robot tanks. You can, however, shoot their eyes out with enough volume of small arms fire so if you're desperate that's an option I guess.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 2, 2019

Tias
May 25, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

It does wildly change the combat and you shouldn't use it with a huge pile of guns, just pick a couple of packs you like and get their patches. I use the CE guns pack and Rimsenal and that's more than enough variety given that you need to produce ammo for stuff too.

Top tip: produce AP ammo as soon as you can, and don't try fighting centipedes with anything less than a PTRS because nothing else will even scratch the bastards, they're literal robot tanks. You can, however, shoot their eyes out with enough volume of small arms fire so if you're desperate that's an option I guess.

Can you give direct links to the mods you use? I can't seem to find anything save some fugly 'season of the hunters' guns that look like anime splat

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tias posted:

Can you give direct links to the mods you use? I can't seem to find anything save some fugly 'season of the hunters' guns that look like anime splat

CE Guns: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1582570547 (real world stuff)

Rimsenal: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=725947920 (sci fi stuff, the guns are good, the anime tiddy spine problem is... also on the page for some reason I don't really understand)

CE Rimsenal Compat Patch: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1722645168

CE requires compatibility patches for basically anything that adds weapons or armour in order to work properly. But I think for a lot of minor stuff you can just use it. It doesn't break stuff like entirely but it might not be at all balanced with any of the CE equipment. Similarly enemies might not work properly without a patch to balance them.

So I recommend using it with a limited suite of mods, ideally a few big things that have patches. It expands on the combat a lot so you'll have plenty of challenge and involvement without needing as much range of content.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Oh word! This is amazing! Thanks a lot, and sorry for the bother :awesome:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do write your impressions once you play around with it because the learning wall is... well wall shaped. The combat is absurdly lethal but there is method to it, you might find yourself reloading bullshit shots a fair bit though, especially if you fight a centipede with a charge blaster :v:

My big suggestion would be do not get shot. Which means sticking to cover like a fiend. Cover can actually block a vast number of shots if you use it right. Also be sure to read the new stats for cover and armour and firing accuracy and poo poo, because the way the calcs work is changed and it's mostly explained in the stat blocks.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sounds like XCOM.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'd generally describe it as STALKER if it was a real time tactics game.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
I found this mod order guide very useful for wrangling a large CE modlist. This is also a good CE guide for getting started with loadouts and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

OwlFancier posted:

my first game with CE I ended up with a centipede whose optics and other non-vital bits were either blown out with 40mm grenade shrapnel or FMJ from a squad of heavy SMG-carrying droids. it limped around my front entrance until I crafter finally got out of the hospital, made more grenades and reloaded/manned the AGS turret, blowing it to poo poo with two more bursts

also, a fully automatic grenade launcher is a good idea for base defense until enemies get too close