Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I'm over T H I C C boys at this point. Someone get Baki in there to dick kick the lot of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
whoops, turns out a true rikishi can throw you with their dick

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
very specific question time: what's the significance of the arrow in the shrine in the police judo scene with biscuit? is it a hamaya or something else

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://mangadex.org/chapter/725626

gah now itagaki is taking a break

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The thruster

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
That old lady in the latest shaman is probably Yujiro's mother

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Whats the order of the mangas? I took a break from reading Grappler Baki because it didn't have many chapters translated a while back. Randomly started watching the netflix series and man I love this series so much. All my favorite parts of shounen, over the top craziness going on.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Ulio posted:

Whats the order of the mangas? I took a break from reading Grappler Baki because it didn't have many chapters translated a while back. Randomly started watching the netflix series and man I love this series so much. All my favorite parts of shounen, over the top craziness going on.

There are five Main series:

-Grappler Baki (1991-1999) The 2001 anime covered this series.
-Baki (1999-2005) The recent Netflix series covered the first third or so of this series.
-Baki Hanma (2005-2012) Also referred to as Baki: Son of Ogre.
-Baki-Dou (2012-2018) Musashi Miyamoto kills things with mind swords.
-Baki-THICCDou (2018-Present) Yes, it has the exact same name as the last series for some reason.

There are also a number of side stories focusing on secondary charcters like Kaoru and Doppo.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Ulio posted:

Grappler Baki --> New Baki (what the Netflix anime is based on) --> Baki - Son Of Ogre --> currently Baki Dou (first the Miyamoto Musashi arc, we're currently on Thicc Boy Season)

AFAIK due to hilarious translator pettiness only New Baki and Son of Ogre are available completely translated, Grappler Baki and the Musashi arc of Dou get sporadic releases here and there and the sumo arc is being translated as it is released (slowly).

e;fb

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Wild Fang "TLs" are basically rewrites, I must warn you.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

There's also the side story, "Gaia Ant-Man's Thanos"

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
You can read Grappler Baki fully translated (not typeset) in the /a/ archives

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The Scarface prequel(?) is probably my fav thing Itagaki did since, I dunno, Garouden? I've stopped following the main series for a while but I feel like he could use a break from Baki.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Honest Thief posted:

The Scarface prequel(?) is probably my fav thing Itagaki did since, I dunno, Garouden? I've stopped following the main series for a while but I feel like he could use a break from Baki.

What DID happen to Garouden by the way? I actually liked the story and some of the characters in it

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

frajaq posted:

What DID happen to Garouden by the way? I actually liked the story and some of the characters in it

It apparently is fully translated and just stops out of nowhere, with none of the promised huge fights of the series really manifesting. It's disappointing as gently caress.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Oh.. that's disappointing to hear, at least we got a ps2 game out of it

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Bushmeister posted:

Grappler Baki --> New Baki (what the Netflix anime is based on) --> Baki - Son Of Ogre --> currently Baki Dou (first the Miyamoto Musashi arc, we're currently on Thicc Boy Season)

AFAIK due to hilarious translator pettiness only New Baki and Son of Ogre are available completely translated, Grappler Baki and the Musashi arc of Dou get sporadic releases here and there and the sumo arc is being translated as it is released (slowly).

e;fb

Ya thats the thing that confused me about the series, things seem to be translated at random. You would guess the newer stuff was all translated.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

same poo poo

https://mangadex.org/chapter/733645/1

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
are we finally done? i still don't understand why they weren't just up against the regular jobbers

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Man, that sumo snapped fake Conor McGregor's poo poo up.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Fake Conner Mcgregor could have actually won by not STANDING THERE AND LETTING THE THICC MAN HUG HIM :sigh:

Can we get to the real jobbers? or fighters? or at least some people who are interesting? Wheres Jack Hammer if we need someone to get jobbed by a THICC.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yujiro shows up but it turns out he somehow managed to triple his weight in the last week so he can have a proper sumo battle. Replace his ridiculous muscle monster body with fat. Demon face appears in his rolls.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
With Itagaki's history of portraying real life fighters as total pussy chumps compared to his characters I'm sad he didnt call this dude Donner McGrugar or something.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Macksy posted:

With Itagaki's history of portraying real life fighters as total pussy chumps compared to his characters I'm sad he didnt call this dude Donner McGrugar or something.

Sleve McDichael
Chanderson Milva
Donner McGrugar
Triss Wideman
Joe Jonas

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So how old is Baki in the netflix series? I been reading Grappler Baki and he is 15. Hanayama is around the same age or younger? I was wondering why Spec kept calling him BOYA when he looks like a loving 60 year old war vet.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Hanayama is the same age as Baki yeah. sure doesnt look it tho.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 24, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ulio posted:

So how old is Baki in the netflix series? I been reading Grappler Baki and he is 15. Hanayama is around the same age or younger? I was wondering why Spec kept calling him BOYA when he looks like a loving 60 year old war vet.

17 hanayama is 19

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
They have been hardened by fighting monster apes and throwing themselves off cliffs

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just after watching the spec fight in the show, I got to the part (in the manga)where Yujiro fights Hanayama after his fight with baki. My man's mouth has been destroyed so many times.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
that scene is so hosed up. Especially switching to mom baki's tongue right afterwards. I dont think baki ever gets more twisted than that, although the end of GB is probably its equal.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Learning great fathering advice from Yujiro so far.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Yujiro's Fatherly Tips!

"Remember Baki, once you're tired of Kozue just crush her spine like I did to your mother!"

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

That's kind of the fate of all women in the Bakiverse. Just stay the gently caress away from giant muscle men at all costs or something terrible will happen to you to make one of them feel bad or mad.

Edit: I have a hard time understanding the Kozue/Yujiro relationship from what little I've seen of it in the series because she seems to stand up to him sometimes which seems like a death sentence but he seems like he has a weird sort of respect for her in his own... y'know, Yujiro way.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 31, 2019

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Only Izou Motobe can "defeat" the "strongest" Sumo wrestlers.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Pewdiepie posted:

Only Izou Motobe can "defeat" the "strongest" Sumo wrestlers.

With the power of friendship and this gun he found.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Glagha posted:

That's kind of the fate of all women in the Bakiverse. Just stay the gently caress away from giant muscle men at all costs or something terrible will happen to you to make one of them feel bad or mad.

Edit: I have a hard time understanding the Kozue/Yujiro relationship from what little I've seen of it in the series because she seems to stand up to him sometimes which seems like a death sentence but he seems like he has a weird sort of respect for her in his own... y'know, Yujiro way.

Yujiro liked that she was hosed in the head and comitted to training Baki to become a challenger to Yujiro but he never really cared deeply about her.

In typical Baki fashion it seems he gained respect for her when she struck him and tried to defend Baki from Yujiro. He showed his respect by killing her of course

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Considering how consistently creepy he is towards women he writes, the less women Itagaki adds to his works the better

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean, yes. Agreed. It's just on my mind because a fair amount of the Netflix anime deals with Baki and Kozue so it's a little hard to avoid. Itagaki also shouldn't write romance.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well he should, but it should be between huge musclemen who find love through extreme violence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Zzulu posted:

Well he should, but it should be between huge musclemen who find love through extreme violence

What do you think you're reading?