Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1180145104192970752

Golden Wind dub incoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zinkraptor posted:

The thing about King Crimson is that, while you can figure out how it works at a single moment in the story, it’s exact function and limitations change frequently so attempting to make the whole thing fit together is not actually possible.

So, to answer your question - sometimes it’s like the World, sometimes it isn’t. USUALLY the idea is that everyone is ”locked” into what there’ll be doing for while it’s being used while the boss can do whatever he wants, with the added bonus of everyone else not being able to remember what happened, but even that’s inconsistent.

The Boss not being able to interfere with their movement during the erased time is another “sometimes” rule.

When you know a little about Vento Aureo: 'It just works'
When you know a somewhat about Vento Aureo: Actually the confusion about KC's power was just because of the bad translation, it's actually pretty straightforward and makes perfect sense now!
When you know alot about Vento Aureo: 'It just works'

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I had a dawning realization towards the 3/4 point of the anime that no, it wasn't the bad translation that made this all terrible.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
king crimson is basically the world but it has even more blatant plot symbolism in addition to massive power

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
The best parts of part 5 were the 7 page muda and Gionio posing like Dio. Give the people what they want.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

After seeing all of King Crimson's deal in manga and anime, I always felt it would have worked way better as a horror Stand - have it so even Diavolo can't remember what he does or what happens in erased time. Make every skip sudden and cutting to some horrible outcome. Don't give it a defined time limit either. Maybe it skips 2 seconds, maybe it skips a whole minute, and Diavolo only uses it sparingly since he'll have no idea what he did or where he'll end up after erasing time. Epitaph only tells him so much, the rest has to be inferred from what's seen after the skip. Actually seeing inside erased time and how it works should be left for the very end.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Black August posted:

After seeing all of King Crimson's deal in manga and anime, I always felt it would have worked way better as a horror Stand - have it so even Diavolo can't remember what he does or what happens in erased time. Make every skip sudden and cutting to some horrible outcome. Don't give it a defined time limit either. Maybe it skips 2 seconds, maybe it skips a whole minute, and Diavolo only uses it sparingly since he'll have no idea what he did or where he'll end up after erasing time. Epitaph only tells him so much, the rest has to be inferred from what's seen after the skip. Actually seeing inside erased time and how it works should be left for the very end.

This would have worked really well for the final battle if Doppio dying took away Epitaph and Diavolo had to make even riskier decisions about when to active King Crimson as things turned against him. It would also likely make the finale longer and more of a proper battle as opposed to just a race to get the arrow. Above all though you would have an interesting reversal of Dio's World where instead of having a guy with an unbeatable power that requires the same power to beat you'd be having someone with a seemingly unbeatable but flawed power that can be overcome in the right circumstances.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Having two personalities and a sentient stand is getting things a little crowded, but yeah, doppio as just a mislead boy with a procognition power diavolo really needs to make his own powers functional is a much more interesting situation than the gimmicky two personalities thing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

having the two personalities is fine, i just definitely wish that epitaph had been specifically doppio's power because it absolutely would have been neat as hell for doppio to die, leaving diavolo without that half of it, so he starts to frantically skip like crazy in a way that disorients loving everyone because he's like a cornered animal

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i think a jojo end villain isn't a proper end villain unless they are crowded

kira: a man wearing another man's face whose stand has two sub-stands and contains yet another stand user inside its stomach, whose closest accomplice is a flying photo of his dad

DIO: a vampire head on his boyfriend's body with a clone stand who digivolves into double david bowie

kars: SEX = USELESS

but yeah i agree, splitting the powers between the personalities would've been incredible. there's something thematic there in diavolo ending up losing clear control of his fate once he finally sheds the last part of him that's arguably human

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

I had a dawning realization towards the 3/4 point of the anime that no, it wasn't the bad translation that made this all terrible.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
https://twitter.com/scalizo_art/status/1180270027070529538

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Black August posted:

Ehhhh. Diavolo only works as a character bc he's in complete control of his fate. The moment he lost control, or rather, the moment his control over it ceased to matter, is the moment he loses everything. A big bad being afraid of his own drat Stand could maybe be interesting, but Diavolo doing that would just muddy the whole theme.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

overmind2000 posted:

This would have worked really well for the final battle if Doppio dying took away Epitaph and Diavolo had to make even riskier decisions about when to active King Crimson as things turned against him. It would also likely make the finale longer and more of a proper battle as opposed to just a race to get the arrow. Above all though you would have an interesting reversal of Dio's World where instead of having a guy with an unbeatable power that requires the same power to beat you'd be having someone with a seemingly unbeatable but flawed power that can be overcome in the right circumstances.

Yeah, that was exactly my thinking. You could have the final horror reveal being Diavolo finally waking up inside of erased time, thinking he's won and has King Crimson Requiem - but then GER comes up behind him to go Dies Irae on his rear end.

Pootybutt posted:

Ehhhh. Diavolo only works as a character bc he's in complete control of his fate. The moment he lost control, or rather, the moment his control over it ceased to matter, is the moment he loses everything. A big bad being afraid of his own drat Stand could maybe be interesting, but Diavolo doing that would just muddy the whole theme.

No no, that's exactly how you make the arrow worthwhile - Diavolo wants it to have complete control over his power and erased time. He'd still have incredible control with Epitaph, but he needs that total control to feel truly safe. Plus you'd be able to draw parallel to Fugo in a way with fear of their Stands. Lastly, I felt that take would better reflect the idea of falling into a blackout dissociative state with his weird duality and paranoia, and have it be another way for Doppio to be more involved.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I feel like the Diavolo half of the Doppio/Diavolo gestalt would need to be way more compelling than he actually was for that to work.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Funky Valentine posted:

I feel like the Diavolo half of the Doppio/Diavolo gestalt would need to be way more compelling than he actually was for that to work.

That's a given for any improved take on part 5.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
None of this soft poo poo is why diavolo is interesting because he's not. He sucks. He's not dio. Everyone loves Dio because he's incredible every time he's on screen. Evil, charming, huge, all powerful. gently caress fishnets guy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
diavolo has the best hair of all the big baddies

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Well yeah that's why I mulling over my own ideas of how'd I'd do such a story and try to improve on what it did

Diavolo would be pretty compelling if he had to rely on Doppio for Epitaph, and if he had no idea what happened in erased time. The whole story is clearly going for a Jesus Giorno taking down the Devil himself, possessing some kid in a horror movie intro. Why not stick with the horror angle by having the possession be messy and creepy (having to call, blackouts, reliance on Stand power while dormant, nonstop paranoia and desire for more power, King Crimson being a wildly dangerous and Hellish ability)?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

diavolo has the best hair of all the big baddies

i'm loving sorry?

diavolo's hair makes me feel like he doesn't bother washing it enough because he'd have to acknowledge his own physicality for that

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Patware posted:

diavolo's hair makes me feel like he doesn't bother washing it enough because he'd have to acknowledge his own physicality for that

According to Araki the black-spotted hair was something he drew in order to make Diavolo look more punk

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

king crimson is cans

https://www.homestuck.com/story/1332

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

overmind2000 posted:

According to Araki the black-spotted hair was something he drew in order to make Diavolo look more punk

I mean it works

Patware posted:

i'm loving sorry?

Valentine might be the handsomest fictional president but his hair is almost [i]too perfect/i]

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ignoring all else, Diavolo has a really wicked design, as does King Crimson

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i predict part 8's ending will be the most unsatisfying because there isn't even a main antagonist while the series has almost surpassed part 7

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Patware posted:

i'm loving sorry?

Funny Valentine is dreamy!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Black August posted:

Ignoring all else, Diavolo has a really wicked design, as does King Crimson

Their designs are the main reason I can't just write them off completely, they're rad as hell.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 12, 2019

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i only see three, wrong thread

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

New Chapter

what?????????????????????

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

always be careful when cutting veggies

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
:wtc:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Patware posted:

what?????????????????????

A good summary of Part 8!

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Higashikata family badass ranking:

1. Mitsuba

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Oh hey, Norisuke's alive(?)

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

This is still the flashback, right?

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Yes, we're still in the time before Tsurugi puts his grandfather in a body bag.

Presumably this means that Tsurugi is freed from his curse, though we don’t know how.

All in all this was a great chapter, I’m really glad that stuff is happening after the relatively dull middle part of the story.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Robviously posted:

This is still the flashback, right?

I think we're still a few days before when we saw Norisuke dead, although Tsurugi seemed fine there so I don't know what's happened unless they got the rokakaka and Norisuke used it to save him??

does this feel like we're getting to the end to y'all?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I think I need to reread this Part for the third or fourth time because I'm completely lost on what's going on. Again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

TheLoneStar posted:

I think I need to reread this Part for the third or fourth time because I'm completely lost on what's going on. Again.

I'm not so sure that would help.