Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Serf posted:

its like you only read reviews of the movie. and chapo even covers this in theirs. joker is disconnected from the protesters because of the alienation he experiences as a downtrodden subject of late capitalism. the whole movie he is trying to forge an intimate connection with another human being besides his mother and he is denied every time. only at the end, surrounded by the rioters, does he finally experience a human connection, and its with a masked mass of people he's inspired

but there's no actual exploration of that, you can take this entire description and apply it to almost any current issue either regressive or progressive. You can't call it anti-capitalist just because it doesn't crumble under an anti-capitalist reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

but there's no actual exploration of that, you can take this entire description and apply it to almost any current issue either regressive or progressive. You can't call it anti-capitalist just because it doesn't crumble under an anti-capitalist reading.

the whole movie is an exploration of alienation set to the backdrop of a class war sparked out of alienation

Serf
May 5, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

i don't see how this argument holds up in light of, well, basically everything in the movie? arthur loses access to his mental health care because of budget cuts (and it wasn't looking too good before that), he is forced to live with and care for his elderly mother because there's no good social safety net, sanitation workers are on strike due to not getting paid enough, arthur's job and boss are super lovely and its clear that he does it because its the sort of work that will hire people people who were formerly institutionalized, he gets fired from his job and this sends him into a spiral that progresses with his murder of three finance bros and the people of the city love it, etc. should i go on?

todd phillips is not a leftist, but he seemingly accidentally made a movie with some potent anti-capitalist themes and imagery

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
thinking about how Matt gets red-faced furious about how liberals have somehow cut off a valuable resource for raising class consciousness among disaffected white men by condemning this movie as an incel thing and thus making them perceive it as that, but when have dumb 4chan-poisoned people ever understood any theme deeper than "clown is good because he causes chaos"? Nick was completely right in that everyone projects what they want to believe on this dumb loving movie, and somehow everyone at the table proves this correct immediately and with no self-reflection.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The truism that most people are too stupid to understand basic elements of narrative like themes, motifs, and allegory has never been true and is received wisdom from thoroughly mediocre students who graduate from upper-level public universities who are searching for any way they are noteworthy and not just lucky.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I haven't watched it but I'm assuming since I hear Marc Maron is in it he asks the Joker, "Joker, who are your guys?"

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Penisaurus Sex posted:

The truism that most people are too stupid to understand basic elements of narrative like themes, motifs, and allegory has never been true and is received wisdom from thoroughly mediocre students who graduate from upper-level public universities who are searching for any way they are noteworthy and not just lucky.

agreed but also the kind of irony poisoned 4chan nerds that goes to see this aren't like most people and in fact constantly fail to understand even the most basic subtext imaginable

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

sounds like nick is the true agent of chaos who reveals dark truths gamers rise up

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://georgetowner.com/articles/2012/05/03/outerbridge-horsey-architect-georgetown/

Outerbridge Horsey

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Thinking about goons posting on a podcast forum

THS
Sep 15, 2017

LLJK rise up

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/nickmullen/status/1181617880653336576

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

prefect posted:

Nick should be the McLaughlin -- Will is unfit for the role. :colbert:

Nothing really matters, anyone can see.

Felix's point about people insisting that protagonists must be good people that you like: I like it. :thumbsup:

People don't know who Gary Glitter is/was?

So good they got Nick and Adam, just for the point where they're giggling like idiots about "the Love Guru", and Jen Pan is trying to talk about Serious Film Things. :newlol:

I didn’t know about Gary Glitter, but my music knowledge is sorely lacking. But of course I’ve heard Rock and Roll Part 2 because like they said, that song is ubiquitous in anything involving sports.

Anyone remember the Keanu Reeves sports comedy The Replacements? It had a way too on-the-nose score and played that song multiple times, whenever a big important game or play was coming. Imagine having a moral panic about that.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Batman is fash and so is anyone who likes Batman poo poo goodbye

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

T-man posted:

Batman is fash and so is anyone who likes Batman poo poo goodbye

If Adam West batman is fascist, then you can call me Oswald Cobblepot Mosley.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr. Lobe posted:

Is Adam West batman fascist?

the only good batman is West batman and the only good Joker is Cesar Romero, this isn't a hot take at all but it's something the gosh dang suits in charge refuse to learn.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i knew about gary glitter being a pedo, and had heard that song at a million sports events, but i did not know it was a gary glitter song

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I'm disappointed that Matt was echoing the dumbass "Purge 3 is about electing a white woman to fix everything" take. The movie ends with news reports of massive civil unrest following her election, implying it could be the start of a civil war.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

They seemed to mix up Purge 3 and The First Purge. 3 was the election year one, the First Purge was the one where everyone parties and does drugs until they bring in the Nazi mercenaries

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i knew about gary glitter being a pedo, and had heard that song at a million sports events, but i did not know it was a gary glitter song

I didn't even know it was a song. I just figured it some stock stadium tune.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gripweed posted:

I'm disappointed that Matt was echoing the dumbass "Purge 3 is about electing a white woman to fix everything" take. The movie ends with news reports of massive civil unrest following her election, implying it could be the start of a civil war.

Yeah purge 3 whips because it is explicitly about how electoralism is failed and we need to just start purging chuds

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

I suppose you’re only familiar with the new Batman movies. Michelle Pfeiffer? Ha! The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Honestly though the Nolan Batman movies are worth seeing at least to get Zizek's very good take in The Pervert's Guide to Ideology. It's hard to watch a movie where (a) society is held together by noble lies and then see the scene where Lucius Fox destroys the cellphone spying tech and not say my gott pure ideology.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Gripweed posted:

to be fair, it could've communicated that better, but it felt like they were running out of money. the guy who makes them says the next movie will be the last one so i hope he sticks the landing

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Hoping that the podding setup for the Joker symposium is the same for Plato’s symposium, pairs on lounging couches, just guys and ladies being dudes and dudettes.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
So they talked about what the live action Jokers and their places in their associates zeitgeist, but what about the animated Jokers. I haven’t worked out what the Mark Hamill Joker represented, but there’s probably something to be said about how when they brought him back in the 2010s for video games, he was basically the same but more explicitly murderous.

The Joker of The Batman in the mid-late aughts was basically a nu metal frontman.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I don't remember Batman Beyond Joker.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dr Christmas posted:

So they talked about what the live action Jokers and their places in their associates zeitgeist, but what about the animated Jokers. I haven’t worked out what the Mark Hamill Joker represented, but there’s probably something to be said about how when they brought him back in the 2010s for video games, he was basically the same but more explicitly murderous.

The Joker of The Batman in the mid-late aughts was basically a nu metal frontman.

Hamill Joker was a throwback to the old super camp Joker but with a 90's 'edge' where even though he was using laughing gas and big Joker shaped vans and poo poo his plans were also killing people or at the very least putting them in mortal peril. It was looking back at the 'old days' but thinking those days had to be upgraded with a more 'current' tone rather than just enjoyed. Same with Batman Beyond where it was...wasn't it literally Animated Series Joker who put his mind in an AI that infected one of the Robins?

I do not remember what the hell 'nu metal frontman' Joker means but I'm gonna just say sure yea that sounds like it fits.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Batman Beyond Joker was more on how Joker, long since dead, became a legend, an archetype of sorts for Gotham’s rowdy teens to tap into and embody in a commemoration. Then the direct to video movie just brought the original back and he was kinda just there.

Dr. Killjoy fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 8, 2019

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

rest his guts posted:

The upside was that it reminded that The King of Comedy exists and to watch it again

same, but love guru

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Batman Beyond Joker was more on how Joker, long since dead, became a legend, an archetype of sorts for Gotham’s rowdy teens to tap into and embody in a commemoration. Then the direct to video movie just brought the original back and he was kinda just there.

I didn’t like how they started as a terrifying symptom of Gotham’s inner rot, and then as the series progressed they just became the same group of half a dozen recurring dipshits.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

tbh i wasn't really interested in seeing Joker at all until this episode so good episode imo

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The Batman Beyond plotline with teens splicing their DNA with animals was pretty cool.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yeah purge 3 whips because it is explicitly about how electoralism is failed and we need to just start purging chuds

Purge 3 is the best Purge

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Uranium posted:

sounds like nick is the true agent of chaos who reveals dark truths gamers rise up

Can't believe Amber talked over Nick right when he was getting ready to riff on "Florida Joker."

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

net work error posted:

The Batman Beyond plotline with teens splicing their DNA with animals was pretty cool.

Yeah, it ruled except for the morality was confused. Batman Beyond has some really fun and weird episodes, along with a bunch of normal kid show episodes that are fine or whatever.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I loved this episode, could have listened to everyone's Joker takes for another 2 hours.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

gonna listen to this then watch the red letter media review then not see the movie but pretend i did irl when discussing it with coworkers

THS
Sep 15, 2017

consuming media entirely vicariously is the most objective way of forming opinions about it

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

THS posted:

consuming media entirely vicariously is the most objective way of forming opinions about it

It’s why I don’t listen to Chapo, this thread is all I need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Dr. Killjoy posted:

the batman beyond movie didn't have the joker, it was the second robin jason todd that had been brainwashed into thinking he was the joker