Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
You still have Piranha 3D and DD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#54) There's Nothing Out There (1991), a.k.a., Don't Scream... Die, a.k.a., The Bloody Cottage in the Forest - Scream or Die
Wow, what an opening scene! Way better than the second opening scene, which was the one that actually had something to do with the rest of the movie. Teenagers on summer vacation drive up to a cabin in the woods, talk about what would happen if they were in a horror movie, and get attacked by an alien. Horror movie happenings ensue.

Things lean heavily towards humor over horror, with big helpings of T&A to fit the times. It's amusing to watch the main horror geek try to take precautions, only to hit one roadblock after another, and things do pick up once all the survivors have seen the monster. Though he's got a know-it-all attitude, and spends most of his time being condescending, he gets enough poo poo thrown at him to push the balance back the other way a bit. There's slapstick mixed in with the meta jokes, and I'd peg the former as being the better-executed, even though the latter is arguably the heart of the movie. The monster looks goofy as hell when it's in full view, but they wisely avoid doing that very often, so the lashings of a tentacle off-screen or quick-cuts to a close-up of its toothy face work well enough. The movie's low-budget and shows it, which explains why it's in Troma's hands these days, but it does a good job with what it has, including Chekhov's Mirrored Sunglasses.

:spooky: rating: 6/10

"Nobody likes a mouth full of shaving cream."

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Franchescanado posted:

You still have Piranha 3D and DD

Watching those now.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

October 8 - Paranoiac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWfnn-_BZBo

Over in Hammer land again, I noticed that the brief blurb of a few of the movies were kind of similar. So just to avoid the possibility of having almost two identical movies next to each other, I decided to break them up now and watch Paranoiac, a film that I hadn't even heard of until I got this box set.

Elanor and Simon's parents died under mysterious circumstances a decade ago. Their brother Tony committed suicide a few years after that. Now just weeks before they come into their inheritance, Simon is working to burn through money as quickly as he can. And Elanor is being driven mad by visions of Tony appearing before her.

My second Hammer film starring Oliver Reed in a row. Curse of the Werewolf had him restrained, not really able to do anything. Here he gets to have some fun. He's the titular "paranoiac!" (definitely not "psycho") and he makes a great villain for the movie. Reed is a glorious rear end in a top hat through the whole thing. He also wears plaid jackets way too much which gives me a real headache. :v:

Elanor, on the other hand, is one of the worst movie heroines I have encountered. She keeps trying to kill herself with the slightest provocation. The only thing she's good at in this movie is wandering around in a lacy nightgown.

This was my first, an likely only, black and white film of the month. I usually watch more black and white films than this, but it's just not working out this time. Since Hammer was working almost entirely in color at this point, I suspect that the choice of black and white was about leaning into the Psycho aspects.

I started out hating this movie as it has an absolutely awful opening (an eleven year memorial service for the parents death at a church where the parson blandly gives out exposition on all the major characters). But it improved as it went on thanks mainly to Reed's character being so enjoyably bad. It ends incredibly abruptly, which I guess is better than a psychiatrist monologue, but not by that much. Basically, Paranoiac was an okay movie that was elevated by Reed's performance as a psychotic wastrel.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Critters 2

Now that's more like it. This is the good stuff.

The tone is great, the writing is solid, the effects are fantastic, the humor lands just on the right side of corny. Easter egg plot is hilarious, burger chef critters (deep-fried critter!) are hilarious, and the movie really swinging for the fences on trying to pretend that we cared about these characters from the last film was hilarious—and that it worked. I can't believe that I like that dweeby kid and that goofy ex-alcholic-who-just-needed-a-purpose. Also the little sister has my childhood sheets as her pillow case, so extra points for that right there.

Critters 2: 8/10

Hobo with a Shotgun: 9/10, Demons: 9/10, The Fog: 8/10, Critters 2: 8/10, Demons II: 7/10, Ghoulies: 6.5/10, The Changeling: 4/10, Critters: 2/10

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 9, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

8) Joker (2019)

I'll be honest with you; I'm not sure if this one is horror. It is quite disturbing though, almost phantasmagorical in places, so I think it meets the psychodrama criterion.

To give as little away as possible: this movie is Joaquin Phoenix. Everything else simply surrounds him. If he doesn't at least get nominated for Best Actor at the Academy Awards then they're a joke. But I really don't ever want to see this movie again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jedit posted:

8) Joker (2019)

To give as little away as possible: this movie is Joaquin Phoenix. Everything else simply surrounds him.
I just watched a commercial for it that was literally just him dancing down a flight of stairs, so that checks out.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Haunt (2019, itunes)

IMDB: On Halloween, a group of friends encounter an "extreme" haunted house that promises to feed on their darkest fears. The night turns deadly as they come to the horrifying realization that some nightmares are real.

This movie is pretty good! I was a little hesitant going in because similar movies such as last years Hellfest and 2016’s House of Purgatory both had similar premises and both of those movies were disappointments. Haunt has a better set up and introduction to the characters and doesn’t burn through its good will as fast as those other movies.

The plot synopsis above effectively describes the movie but there are some unexpected and welcome curveballs thrown into the story.

The set design has some pretty good rooms but it is a little non-sensical in its design. It does a good job playing off Halloween tropes such as the “what’s that body part” game.

This is a direct to video movie and does suffer from being low budget. The actors are competent but no one really stands out, and some set pieces look barren and incomplete.

Overall I found this enjoyable and it’s definitely worth watching. The shudder logo popped up at the beginning so I assume it’s going to end up on there eventually.

Watched (13): Brightburn, Tales from the Hood, Pet Semetary 2, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, One Cut of the Dead, Leatherface (1990), Summer of 84, Viy, Mandy, In the Tall Grass, Street Trash, See No Evil, Haunt

Samhain Challenges:
1. The Best Month - Viy

Behind Maslow
Apr 11, 2008

#9. Black Christmas (1974)
(First watch)

Sorority sisters are menaced and killed by a man in their sorority house.

Goddamn this was fantastic. I saw the 2006 remake when it came out and its nothing compared to this gem. Beyond being a good horror flick, its a great film. There is a good amount of humor, suspense, and drama all wrapped in a slasher package. Margo Kidder was a highlight as the boozy sister with loose morals. John Saxon was born to play a cop. All in all a movie that could be watched October through early January.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
:siren: Super Samhain Challenge #2: Dead & Buried :siren:

#12) The Lords of Salem (2012)

Definitely nothing like I expected. This would make a really good double feature with The VVitch. Although the themes are different, I would say that they have... let's say similar outcomes. Lords of Salem, however, has a much more feminist message vs. The VVitch's more patriarchal outcome. But that's an argument for another time. It's certainly not my favorite thing Rob Zombie's done, but I love seeing how he can subdue himself compared to his normal technicolor psychobilly freakouts. The pacing was fine, the spooks were good, the effects were good - I don't have anything outright negative to say about this one other than I'd definitely have to be in the right mood for it. It's slow and plodding, but deliberate in a good way.

I picked this one because Sid Haig is in it and obviously just passed. I expected him to have more of a starrin role, but he was in the background, and that's enough for me to pay tribute :)

:spooky: 3/5

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#55) The Horror Show (1989), a.k.a., House 3, a.k.a., Horror House, a.k.a., Evil Dead 7, a.k.a., House III: The Horror Show
This was kind of a mess to find. Listed by that last title on Letterboxd, it was shown as being on Tubi, but I had to search "Horror Show" instead of "House" to find it. And then it had the wrong year, and only showed the name of the uncredited one of the two directors. I rented the original House (the 1985 American one) a ton as a kid, and when I finally saw the second in the series, I didn't like it, because it dumped all the scary stuff and went in a kids' fantasy adventure direction instead. So, I had high hopes that this one would live up to its name(s). And... it kind of did. Lots of gore, with Lance Henriksen playing a cop who apprehends a serial killer played by Brion James, and the killer coming back after his execution to get vengeance on the cop. But there wasn't much to link it with House outside of someone dealing with apparent trauma-induced hallucinations and living in a house, so that was a disappointment.

Reminded me of Wes Craven's Shocker, in that the main villain gets the electric chair and gets superpowers as a result, but without the TV/reality-bending aspect. Came out the same year, too, but played it more like a Freddy character, including a face-pressing-through-torso scene like the one in Freddy's Revenge. Getting Henriksen in a lead role was unexpected, but awesome. As I mainly knew Brion James from Ultimate Desires, in which he plays a German-accented criminal enforcer with principles (and those little round glasses), seeing him looking so beefy, in such a blue-collar American criminal role, was kind of jarring. Still had that tiny ponytail, though. Henriksen plays through the visions with convincing desperation and shell-shock, but after a while, it gets so repetitive that the returns are diminished, and there's a major plot point that felt like it was included just to pad out the run-time. And something that seemed like it was going to develop into a big plot point just faltered off into nothingness.

Reading through the IMDb notes, it seems this got heavy cuts to its gore scenes, and while a full uncut version never got release, the UK did get one with some stuff restored. KNB did the special effects, so that's a shame. Not sure which version the one on Tubi is, but I'd guess it's the milder US cut, since it didn't seem all that gruesome. Shout-out to the early gag of a cop's severed head on a dish with "BLUE PLATE SPECIAL" written next to it in blood. I get now why there wasn't much fuss about cutting the House name from the title in the US, since the connection would have been tenuous at best, but I'm still glad I finally got to check this out. Alright as a stand-alone, but would have been a let-down otherwise.

"When I was at Columbia, I was working on a theory of pure evil as a form of electromagnetic energy."

authors GFs note; theres a kitty and it gets gored but then in the end its ok, was just hiding in a box, the rear end in a top hat

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 9, 2019

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound

30 Days of Night, 2007

This movie was pretty rad. A small town in Alaska is isolated for a month in winter darkness. We got it similar where I live, only we don't live far enough north to have 24 hours of darkness, but this winter darkness is something I'm used to. It's a nice setting for a horror film. The town out in the middle nowhere have all communications cut off by sabotage, people start dying in mass from brutal vampire attacks and poo poo is pretty grim. 30 Days of Night don't hold back on the massacre at all and keep it bleak and brutal. The few survivors have to spend the rest of the month hiding as they get hunted by the vampire horde. It got the elements of a more action driven horror comedy, but instead focuses on more serious horror. So while it got its bad rear end moments and action set pieces, it's the survival element and the horror being hunted that's the main focus. I also dig the vampires. They are the way they should be. Ugly, grotesque and straight up evil. This is definitely one of the best vampire movies of the 2000s.

Hot Dog Day #89 fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 9, 2019

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
11.) Neighbours: They Are Vampires

2014, first watch, Amazon Prime

What's that, you say? Bollywood Fright Night? Sold!

This is directed by the late Shyam Ramsay, who Random Stranger mentioned upthread, in case anyone's still casting about for something for the second Samhain Challenge.

The first minute of this film is a montage of still art ranging from Caravaggio to Vampire: the Masquerade. In the next ten we get erotic dance routines, poorly choreographed fight scenes, bizzare editing choices, and Shaivite death rays. Only then does the titlecard (which lifts its font from, uh, Blade I think?) arrive. I cannot adequately communicate to you what a ride this was. Sadly, it loses steam once we're doing the Fright Night bit, and the remainder of the two-hour runtime is basically a waste of time, floating around the Syfy original level of quality. Things pick up when the movie's second (inexplicable) fight scene breaks out, and we get back into the so-bad-it's-entertaining material.

The people in bungalow 13 are, indeed, vampires.

Watched: 1.) Cabinet of Dr. Caligari [Classics], 2.) Occult [J- and K-horror], 3.) Son of Frankenstein [Threequels, Samhain Challenge #1], 4.) Game Over [India] 5.) Candyman [Clive Barker], 6.) Knife + Heart [New Releases], 7.) Butterfly Murders, 8.) The Phantom of the Opera (1925) [Classics], 9.) One Cut of the Dead [J- and K-Horror], 10.) Hatchet III [Threequels, Samhain Challenge #2], 11.) Neighbours: They Are Vampires [India]

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

15. Hell House LLC (2015)
Watched On: Shudder

I can definitely see why the thread was so high on this film. My only previous experience with found footage was watching V/H/S for last year's October Challenge and the premise of this one intrigued me. The acting is a little rough and the handheld nature of the film can be a little much on the senses, but there's a lot of good stuff in here.

I liked the framing device of a documentary, complete with talking heads, about the opening night at the Hotel Abaddon and trying to get to the bottom of what happened there. Once we delve into the box of footage recovered from the crew, poo poo slowly starts getting weird. The ramp-up of things being wrong with the hotel is gradual but effective and the cast really sells the horror of something as simple as a mannequin moving around or a phone suddenly bursting with static.

The climax was genuinely unsettling: claustrophobic and, for a lack of a better word, real. I wish they didn't use as much of the cutesy video artifacting as they did, as I think it took away from the actual imagery they were presenting, but overall I really liked it.

Now I will accept it as a single movie and not seek out any of the sequels.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

#17: Occult

I Bookmarked this on Youtube a few days back after seeing someone in this thread recommend it. After She Gods of Shark Reef turned out to be a bust I still wanted to watch a horror movie tonight, so I figured I'd watch Occult. After watching it I really wanted to see what the other poster's take on it had been. I searched for Occult and as far as I can tell nobody ever mentioned it in this thread. So i have no idea why I looked up and bookmarked Occult. Which is really the perfect capper after watching it.

Occult is pretty great.

It's a fake documentary about a mysterious stabbing attack that left two dead and one injured. Three years later a documentary crew wants to find out what happened and why, but what they actually discover is that something very strange is happening to the man who survived the attack.

Occult starts off in really great form for a horror fake documentary. The scary stuff isn't big, it's people acting strange, a person who should be dead appearing in a photograph, that sort of thing. The special effects are stuff like a book falling off a desk, a dark smudge in the sky, stuff that seems too small to bother faking. And what anchors it all is the character of the survivor. The dude just sucks. He's a lovely dude in the most believable way. He needs to borrow a dollar from the camera man, he shamelessly bums a whole pack off cigarettes off the producer, he buys food based on mass to save money. This isn't the standard horror young mom and child, or depressed writer dad or whatever. It's a completely believable mundanely lovely dude, and that makes the stuff that happens around him more believable and mundane.

But the fact that he's lovely never undercuts the horror aspect. The growing dread as you start to get a hold of the shape of what's going on.

And when it's all finally revealed, the movie takes a sharp comedic turn. Occult suddenly becomes very funny. Which sounds weird, like something that shouldn't work. But it's all built on the shittyness of this dude, and the believability of his behavior. And it's a very dark humor. The horror aspect before was built on the fear of the unknown, but after the comedic twist it becomes built on the dread of the known. So it's funny, but it's like, "This isn't really happening, right?" and the tension between those two, the humor and the dread, work absolutely fantastically.

I lost my poo poo when Kiyoshi Kurosawa shows up for a scene. I had to look it up and it really is him. Kiyoshi Kurosawa playing himself. It's like if you were watching just some random American found footage horror movie and the characters ran into Sam Raimi on the street.

I want more people to watch Occult specifically because I want to know what people make of the final shot. Where he's in hell and his head comes off. It's so loving goofy and I can't tell if it's great or if it kinda ruins the movie.

Watch Occult, it's great and I don't think there's anything else like it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

9. Ravenous (1999):
This movie rules but it’s pretty weird. For stretches it plays as a black comedy but spends most of the second and third act as straight horror. The cast is stacked, good performances all around. I really liked the score and the grainy look of the movie. The old west is a great setting for horror. I’ve been interested in the concept of the Wendigo for a while now and this really hit the spot.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

9. Next of Kin (1982)

I caught a local screening of this last night, and it’s exactly the kind of movie that I’m grateful to have seen for the first time on the big screen.

It’s got a distinctive style that looks heavily inspired by Argento and Bava without feeling like too much of a flat-out imitation. And while Next of Kin’s story moves more slowly than you’d get from some of its influences, I think that works. It’s about a woman named Linda who inherits the mansion that her late mother turned into a nursing home. When strange things happen in the house, Linda wonders what secrets her mother was keeping.

The early stages of this one kept me wondering about just what kind of movie it was supposed to be. Were we dealing with ghosts or some malicious prankster? Or was Linda just seeing things that weren’t really there? I liked that uncertainty more than I might have guessed.

The payoff, when it arrives, manages to be both ridiculous and satisfying. Next of Kin doesn’t bother tying up all its loose ends, but it’s hard to care once that long, atmospheric setup explodes into action. Linda finds one last clue and then goes for help, which is a surprisingly reasonable decision for a horror movie. But she doesn’t quite stop and put the pieces together. Everything after that moment works so well that it’s easy to recommend this for anyone interested in pretty, slow-burn horror.

Watched: 1. Burn, Witch, Burn (1962); 2. TerrorVision (1986); 3. Evilspeak (1981) - Challenge #1; 4. Blood on Satan’s Claw (1971); 5. The City of the Dead (1960); 6. The Witches (1966); 7. The Crimson Cult (1968); 8. A Return to Salem’s Lot (1987) - Challenge #2; 9. Next of Kin (1982)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#56) House IV (1992), a.k.a., House 4: The Repossession
And then this was on Youtube, so I thought 'What the hell, I'll wrap up the series.' Roger Cobb (played by William Katt) is back from the first movie, with his family reunited. Except his long-lost son is now a wheelchair-bound daughter, and his wife is brunette instead of blonde. Doesn't matter much to him, since he quickly gets exploded in a car crash, and his aunt's house still has weird poo poo goin' on, and it's up to his widow to handle things this time. Even worse, George Wendt doesn't show back up.

Things have swung back around to the whimsical for this entry in the series; ordered from grimmest to goofiest, I'd rank them 3>1>4>2. There are four story credits (Jim Wynorski being one of them, and I'm guessing he's responsible for this scene), so it's impressive how cohesive and coherent the final product is. The scenes do feel patch-worked; not so much as to make for a rough viewing experience, but enough that the plot feels secondary to the effects, which are generally above average. The synth trumpets in the score are real drat bad, though.

The actress playing the daughter gives her character appreciable depth (her behavior at the yard sale is a stand-out moment), and she almost out-does Terri Treas (of Alien Nation), who plays the mom in a TV-movie-style high-strung manner. Her calmer moments are much better, whether reacting to a plumber's bill or house-feuding with her brother-in-law, but those are a tiny part of her time on screen. The toxic waste plot thread was downright Captain Planet-ish, and the dream-like fluidity of the house only came up in one or two scenes. Denny Dillon kinda rules as the house-keeper, though. The ending felt really rushed, like they went 'Oh poo poo, we're at 90 minutes, time to wrap it up,' and I found myself sad that this series wasn't getting a better conclusion. I guess it was about as good as I could have reasonably expected. At least the first one will always be awesome.

"Roger is dead. How can he be trapped anywhere?"

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017

Gripweed posted:

I want more people to watch Occult specifically because I want to know what people make of the final shot. Where he's in hell and his head comes off. It's so loving goofy and I can't tell if it's great or if it kinda ruins the movie.
It's certainly memorable! I admit my own biases would be better served if you just had the visual of Shiraishi watching and reacting to the footage (so you got sound and no image), but at no point is Occult stingy about showing you stuff. I think there's a case to be made that, as when adapting some of Lovecraft, a colorful music video style is the closest you can get to communicating an unimaginable space in a visual medium.

If you enjoyed Occult, the earlier Noroi from the same director has a similar style, only the contents of the "documentary" are more eclectic, including little snippets of variety shows and daytime TV. (Having real people play themselves is a recurring gimmick.)

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Behind Maslow posted:

#9. Black Christmas (1974)

Black Christmas owns.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

9: Hausu
ABCs: H

Holy poo poo, this movie is utterly ridiculous and completely amazing, I love it so much. I’d heard of it before but hadn’t gotten around to seeing it, but it was this month’s subject on a Faculty of Horror and we always like to watch the movies before listening,
I kind of knew what to expect but I don’t think anything can really prepare you for it. It’s like David Lynch binged a bunch of Japanese soap operas and then ate some bad clams and we’re in his nightmare. As most people bring up it looks gorgeous and I loved the bizarre, non stop music. Also Kung Fu really is so cool.
See this ASAP.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Final Prayer
Tubi

I love the premise of this movie: a team of investigators is dispatched by the Vatican to debunk claims of miracles. In this case, a small, recently re-opened chapel has been experiencing unusual noises and vibrations during services. The investigators set up camera equipment around the church, in order to document the phenomena in the interest of disproving it, and giving us the excuse for found footage shenanigans as things take a sinister turn.

I was prepared to dislike the trio of characters in this movie, but I actually became endeared to them. The actors do a good job of making these characters, two of whom are big personalities, feel recognizable and like they have a natural rapport.

I was fascinated with this picture from the outset, and stayed as such through the investigation and right up until when things started to really pop off with regards to ancient evils. But I’m not a huge fan of found footage, and once the climax became guys running around in a dark cave with video artifacting scrambling everything, it started to lose me. The final scene made sense and was a reasonable conclusion to the plot, but I didn’t find it fulfilling.

This movie just needed one more element, I think. The antagonist appears too near to the end, and just when the stakes are set, it’s abruptly over. I would liked to have seen the protagonists have a chance to reckon with things a little.

Also, the poster tagline and art has nothing to do with the movie.

3/5

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Event Horizon: Somehow managed to go into this one knowing very little beyond its base premise of intercepting a long derelict spaceship, and went in expecting something more creature-based (think Dead Space, comparisons to which ended up coming to mind more than a few times over my viewing). What I ended up getting instead though, as I'm sure the bulk of you know, ended up being a lot closer to a ghost ship story with a psychological bent. That being said, I ended up enjoying this quite a bit. Lawrence Fishburne has a commanding presence, as is to be expected, the set design nails the absolute hostility of the Event Horizon, and the conceit of the ship itself preying upon the crew's insecurities is generally well realized, particularly in Sam Neill's character arc.

Ernest Scared Stupid: Generally enjoyed what little I've seen of Ernest in the past, but never actually watched any of the movies in full until now. Went in primed for a fun, character-driven slapstick comedy in a similar vein to Pee-Wee's Big Adventure or UHF, and that's basically what I got, albeit younger skewing than either of those. That being said, it does have its moments of Goosebumps-level creepiness as well (not to mention a pile of straight up gore at one point :psyduck:), and in those moments, does a good job at letting the tension run its course, rather than feeling the need to stuff every moment with jokes. Surpringly intricate creature design too for the material (which immediately made sense after watching the Monster Madness video and learning that it was done by the Chiodo Brothers of Killer Klowns fame).

Also, Rimshot is one of the goodest boys ever put onto film.

The Invisible Man: This movie rules, and probably just beats out Bride of Frankenstein as my favourite of the Universal Monster movies I've seen. In a lot of ways, it almost feels like an inverse to the Frankenstein movies, being about a human who comes to embrace his newfound ability to become a monster, in opposition to Frankenstein's Monster who desperately wants to become human, with both being byproducts of scientific experimentation led astray. The effects still hold up remarkably well 86 years later, and Claude Rains is just fun as hell to watch/listen to the entire duration of the movie, selling his descent into calculated madness. On a related note, I couldn't help thinking while watching that Mark Hamill's Joker laugh had to be inspired by this movie, and was glad to be confirmed by a cursory search after the fact that that is absolutely the case.

Movies Watched (7): Stereo, Crimes of the Future, Perfect Blue (Challenge # 1), Halloween III: Season of the Witch, Event Horizon, Ernest Scared Stupid, The Invisible Man
Samhain Challenges Completed: 1/2

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 9, 2019

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
8. Circus of Horrors via MST3K Live!

Okay, normally I don't count movies I see "riffed" as having seen them, and I do suspect there were some cuts here to make this fit into the show- or else it just moves really fast. But what the heck. A German plastic surgeon (Anton Diffring) happens upon a run-down circus and ends up partner after fixing the owner's daughter's facial scars. Said owner (a very underused Donald Pleasance) quickly perishes at the hands of a bear, and ten years later, the doctor is running the show, where beautiful star performers tend to end up dead in horrific accidents. Like I said it moves pretty fast and takes a while to start making sense, but I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy this without the live riffs- it's colorful and melodramatic and while the plot is frequently ridiculous it still basically works.

9. The Nights of Terror (aka Burial Ground)

A fairly generic Italian zombie flick. A professor of some sort raises the dead near a house where some people are staying, siege ensues. This REALLY dispenses with the plot as quickly as possible to get into the carnage. The zombies themselves are probably the most interesting part- I like how Euro zombie flicks rarely held to the 'recent dead' rule and so we've got a bunch of moldy old half-skeletal shamblers, some with maggots and worms on their faces. A mostly electronic score adds to the weirdness. That said, after a while it gets tiring; I can respect not focusing too much on the plot or even characters, but you need to get really inventive or intense to make up for that. Here there are some good ideas scattered around but it mostly resolves into a lot of screaming and people tripping over each other while corpses slowly move towards them. The most interesting bit is the fact that one of the humans is a kid who's very obviously played by a very small adult, who has a weird Oedipal thing going on with his mom, a subplot which seems to exist entirely to set up one scene at the end. As for the end- "Everybody dies" is an acceptable way to end these things but here it really feels like they ran out of ideas. It's not a bad film but not really good either.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 10, 2019

Adoomsdaygap
Apr 20, 2013
Sorry for being a little late to the party, but put me down for 15. Last year was the first time I participated in this challenge, and got about 15 in before I don't even remember what got in the way. This year I'll be spending the month with Vincent Price. I'll be including other horror films of course but I'm trying to include as many of his films as I can. Some of his famous movies I've seen, some I haven't, and I'll try to limit it to new watches.

1) The Oblong Box - Gordon Hessler, 1969

“You’re a forger, and an embezzler, and now you’re going to become a body snatcher.”
Christopher Lee’s wig is amazing

This is the first time Vincent Price teamed up with Christopher Lee. Price plays a baron whose brother’s face was mutilated by voodoo magic as retribution for a crime Price himself committed. The brother, played by Alister Williamson, fakes his own death in an attempt to free himself from Price and seek treatment for his curse. He ends up getting placed in a coffin, buried, and then unearthed by grave robbers who sell what they think is a corpse to Lee, who is a surgeon, and uses bodies in his studies. He then seeks revenge on the people who failed to help him escape, eventually ending with Price himself.

It was pretty fun seeing Price and Lee in the same film, though they didn't get much screen time together.

2) Cry Of The Banshee - Gordon Hessler, 1970

Vincent Price plays a magistrate in Elizabethan England who burtalizes the local peasants in his attempts to root out witchcraft. His sons use this as an excuse to harass the local women. They do eventually find a coven, and Price murders most of them, leaving the leader alive, taunting her over her powerlessness to protect her people. She gets revenge by using a magical servant to kill all of Price’s family one by one.

The Opening title sequence was very fun and was done by Terry Gilliam.

3) Deadtectives - Tony West, 2018

Members of a bogus ghost hunter show on the verge of being cancelled go to a haunted Mexican house and encounter more than they bargained for. The house is haunted by a vengeful ghost and his murdered family. One of the cast members gets murdered and, instead of going into the light, stays and is stuck here on earth. This does allow him to help save his friends and the ghost family. Good silly fun.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Movie 6 of 31: Alien: Covenant

Purchased: On Amazon like 4 days ago after watching Prometheus.

Status: Unopened, anyone want the digital code it came with?

Pretty much all the goodwill Prometheus built up with me was torn down with each passing minute in Covenant. I like the prequel aspect of this movie and Prometheus but drat is Covenant a mess. Weak CG and a pointless, plodding story that, although I'm not an Alien purist, really does gently caress up the Alien canon. They kind of lost me with the evil android that hates humanity and *gasp* created the xenomorphs we know today (tims included). What could have been a neat continuation just becomes a bog standard Alien Movie™. Also fuckin lol at the Kung Fu android scene.

1.5 "Just make the androids look different" out of 5

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

#13. I Trapped the Devil

This had so much potential, but did not deliver. At all.

Guy and his wife unexpectedly visit his estranged, grieving brother over Christmas. Said brother is not very welcoming and it is soon revealed he has someone boarded up in his basement. He is convinced it is the devil, visiting brother and his wife think he lost it and kidnapped a poor nobody. Who is right?

About 20 minutes in the movie gives you your answer. It is not even ambiguous or giving out red herrings, you know for sure what is going on.
With more than an hour left I wondered what else it was gonna throw at me to hold the tension, but instead it just sits there spinning its wheels. You are subjected to a near-continuous barrage of DRAMATIC MUSIC, followed by EERIE MUSIC and CREEPY MUSIC while nothing happens. I had the subtitles on and it described the musical cues, so it stuck with me.
I tend to enjoy most slow-burn movies, but there has to be something actually burning, or at least a tiny bit of smoldering. This was just shots of people sitting in a chair, staring at each other, the door and static on the TV followed by an incredibly disappointing ending.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Darthemed posted:

I mainly knew Brion James from Ultimate Desires

How the gently caress can you "mainly know" Brion James from a lovely DTV movie with Marc Singer?

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

In a rare state of affairs I've been fairly organized in my challenge activities off-site but only now am I getting to actually posting stuff. Looking to do 31 for this month. So, first up:

#1: The Fog

Before this the only Carpenter movies I’d seen were Assault on Precinct 13 and Escape From New York, but even so I had some ideas about what I might get here. It was sublime, and even if maybe not terrifying, thrilling. It goes just long enough to keep the tension and I thought there was a good balance between specifics (blatant curse for sinful actions, murder) and ambiguous (they all leave with the gold cross at the end, but then come back to finish the job). In the three movies now that I’ve seen of Carpenter, his framing and lighting have stood out. In this one his big menace is a mass of glowing reflecting light seeping over the treetops and cliffs, and it seemed like the perfect fit for him.

"To the ships at sea who can hear my voice, look across the water, into the darkness. Look for the fog."

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:/5

#2: Evil Bong

Even while watching this I felt bad for using it as part of the challenge, but I figure that it’s only once and I won’t be counting it again. It was that typical so bad it’s almost good but not quite. One thing I thought about a lot while watching this is how good a movie Half-Baked is in terms of production value by comparison. I was disappointed that Tommy Chong really only appears at the end, since I have a bias that says he can carry these kinds of things by himself. Only thing really to say besides all that, is that Bachmann (spelling?) just has to be from the same film family as Young Neil in Scott Pilgrim.

“Hey man…I’ve built up…resistance over the years, man. It’s gonna take a lot more than…than this… little weak poo poo..to get me…”

:spooky: :spooky:/5

#3: The Silence

I generally worked out that there was probably a better version of this movie already out there and called A Quiet Place, but I had access to this and already had listed it so I went ahead anyway. I felt like how they approached being deaf as trying to have their cake and eat it too. But that improved throughout…And, first off, anyone from the NYC metropolitan area would drat well know that upstate New York is so not place to go in an apocalypse unless you want to meet the crazies.
The first three-quarters were enjoyable, lots of tension as the stakes are set. I’m sure the finale is a combo of post-911 America + having your cell phone go off in a quiet, crowded room. As well as a fear of standing out? I admit to having a belly laugh when I realized that they’d strapped phones to all the windows like explosives charges and then sent in that little girl with the “suicide” vest of ringtones. There were some reviews of this I saw that mentioned the production values and cast lifting the rest of the movie, and I would agree with that. The director also made some dumb comments about people playing deaf characters that was really insensitive and stupid, and it was hard not to see that in the movie retroactively, even though I went in fairly blind. A lot of grand or more meaningful moments fall flat and honestly the movie would have been a lot better if they’d not given themselves the cop out of everyone being perfect in sign language and having the audio only selectively cut off or back on.

“It’s like we’re back in the dark ages…”

:spooky: :spooky:/5

#4: Death Ship

What stood out to me in the beginning is that the captain is George Kennedy, who I knew primarily from watching the Naked Gun films. There were some neat shots when their cruise ship went down, but how a death ship sneaks up on you in the middle of the ocean (really? You only see it once it’s twenty meters away from your raft?) I’ll never know. Certainly wasn’t how my deadly cursed experiences with nazis on the high seas happened. This was the kind of movie where it feels like they found the ship first and decided to use it for a movie second, like the movie was built around a prop opportunity (propportunity?). Even so, I kinda liked it. There’s too much time spent showing wheels and knobs turning on their own before we really get to the substance of things, which for me was watching George Kennedy barrel down a narrow hallway, stiff-shouldered and lumbering in his nazis officers uniform. I’m sure I haven’t seen a lot of his work and so it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s played villain in a lot of things, since he can exude that as he shows here at times. At least here at sea it makes sense why everyone sticks around the obviously haunted ship: where else you gonna go?
The final third is what really ramped it up for me: entering a horror mode with nazi ghosts and blood and leprosy. Naked woman screaming in a blood spraying shower intercut with footage of a little girl listening to nazi music playing in a control room was not without its engrossing effects. All in all, I enjoyed watching it, even though it wraps up pretty lazy (the ship gives up and sails away? Really?).

“The ship needs blood!”

:spooky::spooky: .5/5

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 9, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BioTech posted:

#13. I Trapped the Devil

This had so much potential, but did not deliver. At all.
Man. I was so hyped for that when I saw the trailer and then just kind of forgot all about it. Sucks to find out it sucks.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Movie 7 of 31: The Shining

Purchased: Just recently to replace my DVD copy. My DVD copy has this odd problem where the audio is whisper quiet.

Status: It's the 2007 Blu-ray release, still in the plastic.

What can I say about The Shining? It's not about Native American genocide nor a tacit admission that the moon landing was faked. The Shining is about a recovering alcoholic going slowly insane in a hotel over the winter and seeing things. He pushes his family away and then decides the best course of action is to murder them. More of a thriller than straight horror since there is nothing supernatural involved, but still a classic.

4.5 "faked the moon landings" out of 5

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The problem with this whole years thing is when I’m not in the mood, I’m not in the mood. I’m way behind and getting farther behind but I keep going to turn on a silent film or b&w and I’m just not there. And I don’t want to force it because then I won’t receive it right. So I gotta watch what I want to watch. So I don’t burn myself out.

- (13). Halloween (1978)
Watched on DVD, available on Shudder.

John Carpenter’s (and Debra Hill’s) seminal classic slasher about about 6-year-old Michael Myers who murders his sister and is sent to a mental asylum for 15 years until he escapes and returns to his hometown of Haddenfield to stalk and kill the friends of Laurie Strode and be hunted by Dr. Loomis.

I started this month knowing I was gonna watch the 2018 Halloween on October 31st, and I planned to watch the original with it. Then of course I thought about it and decided it would be good to revisit Zombie’s since I had only really seen it in passing once. And then I should see the sequel because I never have. And then of course I decide I want to rewatch all the sequels. That’s 13 films. Plus some random Danielle Harris movies in there to tribute her. Well, I need to get started, don’t I?

It goes without saying that Carpenter’s classic remains as effective as I’ve always found it. So much of it and Carpenter’s style is just what I grew up on and think of as the ideal horror. I can understand slasher fans who don’t love it. Its very muted compared to so many of the others. The body count is low and the first half of the film is spent slowly setting the mode with Michael lurking in the shadows, Loomis warning us of the monster waiting to be unleashed, and Laurie just living her life unaware of the horror that awaits her. For me that’s what I love. I don’t go for those Jason movies that stack the bodies. I’m all about that mood and setting. And I’ve made the case before but what sets Michael apart for me from Jason and others is Laurie and Loomis. Strong protagonists that make me care. And that final act where Michael, Laurie, and Loomis finally come together is what you’re building to and delivers from that amazing tombstone shot to the final tease.

And what I like is that neither is a hero. Laurie is THE final girl but she doesn’t fight Michael or beat him. She’s not weak or stupid, but she's not some bad rear end either. She’s a girl thrown into this horror who has the strength and intelligence (and luck) to survive. And Loomis? There’s been popular theories that he’s a monster in his own right, a bad doctor who identifies mental illness as “evil”. And maybe he is. I don’t think Loomis is ever really intended here as someone we should like or root for. He’s just the guy cursed with the burden of Michael. Maybe he was a good doctor 15 years ago when he met Michael. Maybe as he says he tried for 7 years and Michael just wore him down. But whatever it is by the time we meet Loomis he’s a desperate man. The only time we ever see him get any joy is when he takes the time to just scare some kids. And ultimately he’s forced to do what is basically the antithesis of what he presumably once stood for as a doctor and swore to do, and kill Michael in a scene that has no big fanfare or celebratory mood.

I don’t go for all the analysis’ of “sexual impropriety and innocence” or any of that (and neither does Carpenter as far as I know). The story is simple as far as I'm concerned.

“It was the Boogeyman.”
“Matter of fact, it was.”

And man, Laurie’s friends were dicks. And gently caress that rear end in a top hat neighbor who didn’t open their door. Sometimes I kind of think Carpenter has a low opinion of humanity. Then again sometimes I do too.

I had been saving this because I wanted to watch the previous Universal films before it, but I know they don’t really matter and I’ve been having a hard time getting up for silent films the last few days. So screw it, lets get the Universal Monsters underway finally. Its freaking October 8th. I had meant to watch this as my first movie of the month. This is worse than me not even having decorations up yet.

12 (14). Dracula (1931)
Watched on DVD

The Universal classic tale of Bram Stoker’s tale of the Transylvanian Count Dracula who comes to England and unleashes the horror of vampirism on Mina Seward and John Harker and combatted by Doctor Van Helsing.

What I keep saying is that going back through time and watching these classics presents the challenge of not dismissing original ideas as tropes, but this is something completely different. This is like listening to a song for the first time that you’ve heard dozens of covers for your entire life and know 90% of the story, scenes, and lines already even though you’ve never heard it. Its bizarre but also kind of delightful to hear all those lines like “The children of the night, what sounds they make” or scenes like Renfield cutting himself and Dracula being drawn to it only to turn away from his crucifix. Knowing I know these because they were classics and were copied so many times and now I was seeing the inspiration for them. Its maybe not the ideal way to receive the film but its a very interesting and fun way.

How do I judge Bela Lugosi’s performance. He IS Dracula. Every idea and cliche I know about Dracula is him and this performance. Is it good? Great? Bad? I have no idea. It’s Dracula.

The two performances that DID stand out were Dwight Frye as Renfield and Edward Van Sloan as Van Helsing. Van Sloan was apparently very experienced in the role and it shows as he just embodied the grizzled old professor with the courage to fight evil I associate Van Hellsing with. I enjoyed Peter Cushing’s action hero version but I prefer the Van Helloing who doesn’t actually seem like he stands a chance in a fight with Dracula except that he’s mentally prepared. And Frye’s Renfield is just an absolute joy. Probably the fullest character in the movie and maybe one of the strongest driving forces. Lugosi isn’t kept away as much as Christopher Lee’s Dracula was but he’s still actually absent much of the film, and Mina’s kind of just a victim. But Renfeld and Van Helloing really carry much of the film to great joy from me. And its nice to know Harker’s always kind of a useless tool.

The DVD has a bunch of bonuses including a half hour “Road to Dracula” vignette which you can find on Youtube. This seems like the same basic production as a similar feature on the Frankenstein DVD (including commentary from Clive Barker) and I really found it enjoyable and informative. It gave me a little interesting insight on the spanish version that I hope I remember when I watch (which I fully intend to do this month, just with a little distance). It also gave me a little insight into the director Tom Browning, who i thought showed a great deal more fluidity and technical skill than James Whale does the same year with Frankenstein (its good, but I find a bit clumsy). But I now know that’s because Browning was an accomplished silent film director while Whale was a stage director brought in for talkies. The feature also points out that Browning had his own adjustment issues and left long silences in the film where they’d normally be in silent films or waiting for dialogue cards. I found that very effective though as it really allowed us to take in Lugosi’s performance and some of the really amazing sets and shots.

And really, I was blown away by the early stuff in Castle Dracula. It set a mood so early and the introduction of Dracula in his crypt with the brides, rats, bugs, etc was just so perfect. That right away was the moment I knew I was going to enjoy the film. And I really did. Although the ending was a little awkward. I get that the film avoided any of the violent “penetration” scenes but it was weird that Dracula just gets killed off camera and doesn’t even get a death scene or anything. And I actually had to check Wikipedia to be sure the ending wasn’t a vampiric Mina leading Harker to his death. I guess I just assumed that Harker was a tool again. That was odd but not enough to put a damper on the film.

All that said, while this is certainly the Dracula I still believe I prefer Coppola’s version as the best one I’ve seen. Another movie I’m adding to my list this month. Watching this really made me want to revisit it because its interesting how I found myself keep filling in the elements of the story absent from this version that were in others and I kept going back to Coppola’s in my head.

And I’d definitely check out that Youtube doc if you’re new to the film like I am. If you’re more informed its probably mostly old information to you.

September Pre-Game Tally - New (Total)
1. NOS4A2 (2019); - (2). Splice (2009); - (3). Drive Angry (2011); 2 (4). The Twilight Zone (2019); - (5). Event Horizon (1997); - (6). BrainDead (2016); 3 (7). The Dark Tower (2017); 4 (8). The Collector (2009); 5 (9). The Bad Batch (2016); - (10). Rose Red (2002); - (11). Salem’s Lot (1979)
October Tally - New (Total)
1. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920); 2. Nightmare Cinema (2018); 3. Dead of Night (1945); The Queen of Spades (1949); 5. Tragedy Girls (2017); 6. House of Wax (1953); SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #1: 7. The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016); 8. In the Tall Grass (2019); 9. The Night of the Hunter (1955); 10. The Thing (1951); - (11). The Thing (1982); 11 (12). The Thing (2011); - (13). Halloween (1978); 12 (14). Dracula (1931)

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #2: Dead & Buried

17) House of 1000 Corpses 2003
RIP Sid Haig

I really enjoyed the first section with Captain Spaulding. Haig is just great and full of energy. Disappointed to find he was a relatively minor character.
Spaulding's museum is full of weird creepy things. I noticed a Fiji Mermaid and picture of Myra Hindley and I'm sure if I freeze framed it there would be a ton of other neat things in the background.

The film is a gory, highly stylised Texas Chainsaw carnival ride. There's a great flair to it and it's never boring.
Bill Mosely is good and menacing as Otis.

I didn't care much for the ending.

I don't know if I'd call it a great movie, but if you're in the mood for gory, trashy, campy and fun you could do a lot worse than this.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
13)Southbound
Shudder

Meh, I don't have many feelings about this one. As anthologies go it's pretty mediocre, there's no real terrible segments, but nothing outstanding either, and the connective tissue isn't very strong either time loop in an evil town/stretch of highway Not that it needs to be, but it seems to have wanted it to be.

:spooky::spooky:.5/5

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Untrustable posted:

Movie 7 of 31: The Shining

More of a thriller than straight horror since there is nothing supernatural involved, but still a classic.

I've heard the "nothing supernatural" line before, but then who let Jack out of the freezer? It's either the ghosts only physical interaction in the movie or Jack has telekinesis, both of which would be supernatural. Not to mention the telepathy/shining which would also be supernatural.

Purno
Aug 6, 2008

6 In the Tall Grass (2019)
[Kansas]
Netflix

Being unfamiliar with the short story and knowing the variable quality of Neflix original horror films, I went in with no expectations other than mild curiousty about how they manage to get a 90 minute movie out of a a bunch of people getting lost in a field. I was pleasantly surprised even if a bunch of stuff doesn't really make sense. Patrick Wilson is fun to watch, there is an excellent poo poo-just-got-real scene en I appreciate how weird the movie got in the end.

7 Eye of the Cat (1969)
[California]
youtube

A beautician and the enstranged nephew of a rich, sick woman devise a plan to kill her to get her fortune. However she has to change her will first because now all her money goes to her dozens of cats. However, there is one complication, the nephew is deathly afraid of cats. This premise (with a script by Jospeh Stefano, who also wrote the script for Psycho!) is played completely straight, and whenever our hero encounters a cat it is framed as if he has come eye to eye with satan himself. Shot in gorgeous technicolor, and with an opening copied straight from The Thomas Crown Affair, the movie looks absolutely beautiful. 1969 San Francisco provides a wonderful backdrop and the main setting, an opulent pastel-colored mansion looks great. While there is plenty of cool cat action, the highlight of the movie is an amazing scene involving a wheelchair, a steep San Francisco street and a red tabby, seriously, I cannot overstate how great that scene is. Not a good movie but incredibly entertaining!

8 Phantasm 2 (1988)
[Oregon]
youtube

Even though there is a seven-year time gap, this movie pretty much picks up where the original left off and little time is wasted before Mike and Reggie start chasing the tall man. I enjoyed this a lot, it is more straightforward than the original and doesn't bring a whole lot of new ideas to the table, but when your original movie already has mutated dwarfs, flying killer spheres, alternate dimensions and a superstrong shapeshifter it doesn't really need to. The obviously bigger budget allows for everything to be bigger and there's plenty of cool action sequences.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

18. Kuroneko (1968)
DVD

Beautifully staged. And some amazing background transitions/motions that don't get enough mention.

Watched - 1. Get My Gun (2017), 2. The Last Man on Earth (1964), 3. It Stains the Sands Red (2016), 4. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974), 5. Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil (2017) *Tied for Current Favorite*, 6. Halloween (1978), 7. One Cut of the Dead (2017), 8. Phamtasm II (1988), 9. Ramekin (2018), 10. Les Affamés (2017), 11. Braindead (1992), 12. Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943), 13. The Haunting (1963) *Tied for Current Favorite*, 14. House of Wax (1953), 15. Shock (1946), 16. Annihilation (2018), 17. Westworld (1973), 18. Kuroneko

Decade - 1920s, 1930s, 1940s (II), 1950s (I), 1960s (III), 1970s (III), 1980s (I), 1990s (I), 2000s, 2010s (VII)

Black & White:Color - 5:13

By Country - Canada (I), Japan (II), 'Murica (XIII), New Zealand (I), Spain (I)

New:Rewatch - 14:4

Super Samhain Challenge - 1. Westworld (1973) 2. N/A

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

14. Uninvited (1988)
(blu-ray)

A cat afflicted with some kind of genetic mutation escapes from a lab, and leaves behind it a trail of bloody corpses. A couple of college students find the animal and bring it with them on a Caribbean cruise hosted by a shady businessman on the run from the SEC. Of course, the mutant cat starts killing people, and everyone on the boat finds themselves in grave danger. This movie is some absolutely wonderful schlock - it's dumb, goofy, and sometimes gory, and while it is at best b-movie material, it's still really fun.

It'd be easy to write this off as a "so bad it's good" kind of film, which I feel isn't fair. I'm pretty sure the filmmakers knew exactly what kind of movie they were making, and while it's true that there are some very weak elements, they are mostly tied to the budget and not to incompetence. That said, you'll need to have a certain level of tolerance for schlock to enjoy this. The worst thing a movie can be is boring, and I give this one a lot of credit for being fun the whole way through. I laughed harder at this movie than I have at any comedy I've seen recently.

Also worth mentioning is that the last 5 minutes of this film are a masterpiece of trash cinema. Sometimes people will criticize a film by saying "it's like they ran out of money by the end" (which makes no sense because film production does not work that way) but this one really does feel like they didn't know how to end it and came up with the goofiest and most rushed ending possible. I was laughing my rear end off, it's funnier than any b-movie parody could ever be.

This probably won't appeal to general audiences, but if you like obscure '80s schlock I think this is definitely worth checking out.

3.5/5

Total: 14
Watched: Dead of Night | Child's Play (2019) | Escape Room | Hell Night | The Wind | Evil Dead (2013) | Cure (Samhain Challenge #1) | Tigers Are Not Afraid | The Craft | Tower of London | In Fabric | Popcorn | Cube | Uninvited

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #3: Horror Noire

:spooky: Watch the documentary Horror Noire if you haven't seen it before

or

:spooky: Watch a film mentioned in Horror Noire that you haven't seen before

or

:spooky: Watch a film directed by a black director that you haven't seen before

or

:spooky: Watch a film with a black main character, a predominately black cast, or deals explicitly with themes relevant to black culture that you haven't seen before. If you choose this option, you will need to elaborate on the themes that make it relevant to the challenge in your write-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I've heard the "nothing supernatural" line before, but then who let Jack out of the freezer? It's either the ghosts only physical interaction in the movie or Jack has telekinesis, both of which would be supernatural. Not to mention the telepathy/shining which would also be supernatural.

I just put that in there to rile people up. There are so many readings and interpretations of The Shining but the "there is nothing supernatural happening" theory is just so full of holes.

Unless Danny let Jack out of the pantry.