Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

So Rokudou is actually good? The premise seemed kind of, uh, creepy.

It's not really creepy, but it's not for everyone. A lot of people seem to like it but it does nothing for me. :shrug:

Maybe the cast is just too functional for my tastes? :v:

Endorph posted:

tbh considering what that manga is about and how it seems to handle the idea of a female knight falling in love that title is worse, not better

never read it, what do you mean?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

STOP THE PRESSES, REARRANGE THE PRESSES TO SAY HOLY poo poo ITS TIME TO READ A NEW EVEN THOUGH WE'RE ADULTS

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

ah, that's a really good chapter. love how messy the whole thing is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cuntellectual posted:

strong female knight whos ~never known love~ and immediately turns into a blushing idiot when generic boy is nice to her

i dont think theres anything wrong with 'professional character learns to relax a bit via forming a strong bond' but uh, 'treating her as a woman,' 'treating her right' lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Okay I am getting similar vibes to My Monster Secret with the level of silly shenanigans the characters are up to in Rokudou. The loan shark battling with her own henchmen over the phone while simultaneously directing them and wondering how their target, who she is unknowingly helping, is evading them at every turn is fuckin' great, love it

Also kijima's family changing artstyles completely due to not eating as much is a great touch

Edit: lol yep

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 9, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Okay, rokudou is just turning into a sort of Ranma 1/2 series now with its increasingly absurd scenarios and characters. Not that that's a bad thing. Definitely worth giving another go if you passed on it before. Himawari's backstory was worth the mystery for the first big chunk of the series, and the art continues to improve rather dramatically.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cuntellectual posted:

How to treat a lady knight right, stalk her, loudly tell her how much you love her, make sure to bring up how much you fetishize her. Also be sure to invade her personal space while again reminding her of how much she is your fetish, ladies love that.

Iirc that was just the first two chapters, which was a all I could stomach.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It's a comedy, Fooly is an idiot, that's the joke.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Paracelsus posted:

It's a comedy, Fooly is an idiot, that's the joke.

bitch get good taste and shut up about this lady knight bullshit. a loving new Even Though We Are Adults came out and you wanna talk about some guy named Fooly instead of the WOMAN who has a fetish for TEACHERS. the only fooly i see here is the one right in front of me.

anyway its probably too good for ya anyway. ya would melt. be like the ark of the covenant opening in front of your face. "DID SHE JUST TOLD HER HUSBAAAAANND-ARGHAHAHargh?!"

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 9, 2019

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
being a joke doesn't preclude it from being unpleasant

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
even though we're adults is ftw

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

bitch get good taste and shut up about this lady knight bullshit. a loving new Even Though We Are Adults came out and you wanna talk about some guy named Fooly instead of the WOMAN who has a fetish for TEACHERS. the only fooly i see here is the one right in front of me.

anyway its probably too good for ya anyway. ya would melt. be like the ark of the covenant opening in front of your face. "DID SHE JUST TOLD HER HUSBAAAAANND-ARGHAHAHargh?!"

okay

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's the trifecta of good username, good avatar and good post combo!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
what was the name of the one manga that was a genderswap thing but partway through the guy just changes back and it becomes a normal yaoi and there is the bit before he changes back where the girl confesses to him and he is like "but are you fine with me being a girl now" and she just imagines having sex and is like "yeah that is fine" and later on she is at a park with a guy and that guy is like "oh that is my ex" and it turns out that ex was a trans woman and he broke up with her because while he was bi and find with them being trans they just didn't work together afterwards

i have a friend who would probably like it but when i went to recommend it to them i couldn't remember the name

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Snooze Cruise posted:

what was the name of the one manga that was a genderswap thing but partway through the guy just changes back and it becomes a normal yaoi and there is the bit before he changes back where the girl confesses to him and he is like "but are you fine with me being a girl now" and she just imagines having sex and is like "yeah that is fine" and later on she is at a park with a guy and that guy is like "oh that is my ex" and it turns out that ex was a trans woman and he broke up with her because while he was bi and find with them being trans they just didn't work together afterwards

i have a friend who would probably like it but when i went to recommend it to them i couldn't remember the name

Sounds like something by Ayumi Komura.

Maybe it was this series? Kami-sama no Ekohiiki

it's been forever since I read this series though so sorry if it's the wrong one!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ah yes that is it
@toalpaz this seems like bullshit you would like

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Also since Ayumi Komura was brought up - if people haven’t read it, her other work Usotsuki Lily is highly enjoyable imo since it has a similar non-binary mood (though it’s more of a comedy and focuses on crossdressing instead)

I’m kinda bummed that she hasn’t released anything new lately besides some one-shots or short works :( And not many of them have been translated either.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Thank you friends

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

DisDisDis posted:

hugely double taked at the title but this seems like something people itt would like https://twitter.com/verdelishJP/status/1158434491750219778

This came out a few days ago, and I decided to check it out since even if it wasn't very good I'd still probably like it since I have a pretty large tolerance for poorly written stuff. Turns out it was okay! It's not meaty, subtle or particularly deep, but it is a pretty fun light read if you want to read about some women letting loose and getting some revenge.

Something I didn't know going in was this particular bit:

quote:

You wrote in the afterword that this novel was inspired by the gender discrimination issue at Tokyo Medical University. Could you explain the incident for the international readers? What did you feel when you heard the news?

In August 2018, it was reported that in previous years, Tokyo Medical University docked a set amount of points from women who took the written entrance exam. Until then it was regarded as an open secret, so to speak. Everyone in the entrance exam business knew that it was hard for women to get into the medical school, but the issue was never investigated. It takes guts and fortitude to take the exam and become a doctor, whether you're a man or a woman. When I heard the news, I was shocked that not only were women unfairly barred from their life's adventure, but that there are so many people who will just write off the discrimination as a fact of life that can't be changed. So I decided to criticize and poke fun at the ridiculousness of it all through a Narō web novel.
(From this ANN interview with the author, which, among other things, also has some recommendations I'm going to have to see if I can find.)

There was a bit of perfectly reasonable griping about whether it was only on Amazon when it came up, but it was done by J-Novel club and they put their stuff up on a variety of places.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

“Sexiled”, though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Okay I'm about 120 chapters into rokudou and this is a super solid, easy recommend for me. The art has improved dramatically since the beginning and the comedic timing is brilliant. The "achoo" two-page spread in the arc I'm in is just loving fantastic NO you do not get to interrupt your beatdown with a sappy sad childhood where-it-all-went-wrong flashback! and the little end of volume 4koma are some of my favorites ever, especially the ones involving Osanada.

Edit: also I really enjoy how his initially-offputting superpower of attracting "bad girls" and it being a seeming harem series is actually just him helping them figure out their problems, them acknowledging it, and moving on, not eternally hovering around him, there's only one girl who's continued to stick around, Ranna. and, well, apparently one girl will return, but for the most part the girls don't get stuck on him and he doesn't abuse his power. it's just really charming and funny.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 10, 2019

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

“Sexiled”, though.

Pretty sure I've seen that exact title in the Adult section of a video rental store.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pollyanna posted:

“Sexiled”, though.

Easily fixed with a black marker pen

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, it's not the best primary title. (Neither is the subtitle: My Sexist Party Leader Kicked Me Out, So I Teamed Up With a Mythical Sorceress!) Don't let just that dissuade you, though, the book's definitely at least better than the bad title would make you think.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol welp soon as I say it's not a harem, two of the main girls from prior arcs enter amori high, and will presumably join the crew, and I already know a third will show back up soon

It's okay though since they're fun characters

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Captain Invictus posted:

lol welp soon as I say it's not a harem, two of the main girls from prior arcs enter amori high, and will presumably join the crew, and I already know a third will show back up soon

it’s a little more complicated than that

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sometimes characters return and stick around, because they are friends.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Sakurazuka posted:

Easily fixed with a black marker pen

Sexiled

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Last Sexile

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Captain Invictus posted:

People from previous chapters will float in and out, often to show how their lives have changed. Few of them really hang around.

One of the side effects of Rokudou's mark is that, when bad girls turn good, they stop being unnaturally attracted to him. But in the process of bringing girls to the light side, he demonstrates himself to be a really good guy and so they become fond of him more directly. Sometimes it's just "I got this guy's back, he's cool" (Osanada being the prime example) but it does vary.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nondevor posted:

Also since Ayumi Komura was brought up - if people haven’t read it, her other work Usotsuki Lily is highly enjoyable imo since it has a similar non-binary mood (though it’s more of a comedy and focuses on crossdressing instead)

I’m kinda bummed that she hasn’t released anything new lately besides some one-shots or short works :( And not many of them have been translated either.

She's a lot of fun and I've enjoyed pretty much all her stuff. (The one about the fat dude who magically became thin if he didn't eat but also had a giant appetite and hated doing it was weird, but still fun.)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe someone can help: It's a yuri/girls love web manga where the main two girls have this big height difference (blondie is a shorty, brunette is tall and plays basketball). Also I'm pretty sure that the tall girl's male best friend/senpai is into guys. Does anyone know the name?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Tamen de Gushi (sp?)

yeah: https://mangadex.org/title/13939/tamen-de-gushi

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Wark Say posted:

Maybe someone can help: It's a yuri/girls love web manga where the main two girls have this big height difference (blondie is a shorty, brunette is tall and plays basketball). Also I'm pretty sure that the tall girl's male best friend/senpai is into guys. Does anyone know the name?

tamen de gushi aka their story

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It is indeed! The name escaped me for some time. Thank you plenty! :tipshat:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Sexiled is a bad title but at least it isn't an overlong ln title?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

Sexiled is a bad title but at least it isn't an overlong ln title?

The subtitle is :"My Sexist Party Leader Kicked Me Out, So I Teamed Up With a Mythical Sorceress!"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Rokudou 142: well. I wasn't expecting this all to be how yashiya returned and met up with rokudou again, at all. Also, definitely happy with raino's return, she's one of my favorite characters alongside Osanada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yagen is my favorite part of the current arc, and the actual focus character of it.