Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Maarak posted:

Bright having to explain why he gave the Nahel Argama to Beecha would have been nice to see.

Considering it was basically Federation policy to go "yeah, send the child soldiers in to deal with this" in ZZ, it was probably allowed from on high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

Considering it was basically Federation policy to go "yeah, send the child soldiers in to deal with this" in ZZ, it was probably allowed from on high.

Also, Bright was pretty much done with giving anything resembling a gently caress at that point, so I kind of doubt he'd bother to attend any kind of hearing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I assume the deal with the furry village is that GBN's emergent-AI issues have been spreading undetected, and now entire communities of NPCs are self-aware.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

I assume the deal with the furry village is that GBN's emergent-AI issues have been spreading undetected, and now entire communities of NPCs are self-aware.

That's not how it worked at all though. Sarah was a bunch of floating point errors in various subsystems that somehow glitched their way into sentience, and what was killing the game by the end was all of her was squatting in the active memory of a massive cloud network designed to handle thousands of game actions and network activity simultaneously. And her memory footprint was just getting bigger and bigger because, well, Sarah was a living being with new experiences with every passing second. All of which is actually rooted in real computer science, memory-usage-wise at least, (and also why the whole "we stuck her in a tiny Gunpla that's somehow alive" is an astoundingly stupid resolution). That's not something that can be compartmentalized down to "well there's entire communities of them now".

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I like the cast more than the old series and now there's an actual ongoing plot instead of a bunch of kids loving around for no reason so that's a plus.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

chiasaur11 posted:

Also, Bright was pretty much done with giving anything resembling a gently caress at that point, so I kind of doubt he'd bother to attend any kind of hearing.

I mean, given what happens in Hathaway's Flash...

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's not how it worked at all though. Sarah was a bunch of floating point errors in various subsystems that somehow glitched their way into sentience, and what was killing the game by the end was all of her was squatting in the active memory of a massive cloud network designed to handle thousands of game actions and network activity simultaneously. And her memory footprint was just getting bigger and bigger because, well, Sarah was a living being with new experiences with every passing second. All of which is actually rooted in real computer science, memory-usage-wise at least, (and also why the whole "we stuck her in a tiny Gunpla that's somehow alive" is an astoundingly stupid resolution). That's not something that can be compartmentalized down to "well there's entire communities of them now".

They did just say the servers had an upgrade so maybe there is more memory for it to happen.

100% the girl the lead is searching for is an AI though

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

They did just say the servers had an upgrade so maybe there is more memory for it to happen.

100% the girl the lead is searching for is an AI though

Some of her dialogue sounded like an AI, but I wonder if it's a red herring - there's a lot of parallels between her and Hinata, the protagonist's childhood friend, and I wonder if we might have an MMO Junkie situation on our hands here (no, not a situation where the director turns out to be a Nazi, the other kind).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This time the AI is running (and using the resources of) every NPC in the game, a friendly version of Agent Smith in the third Matrix movie.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

amigolupus posted:

Speaking of burgers, I'm disappointed as hell in Re Rise for going with this instead:

At the Gundam Cafe the burger is the Sleggarburger and not Bright's and its a travesty.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Darth Walrus posted:

Some of her dialogue sounded like an AI, but I wonder if it's a red herring - there's a lot of parallels between her and Hinata, the protagonist's childhood friend, and I wonder if we might have an MMO Junkie situation on our hands here (no, not a situation where the director turns out to be a Nazi, the other kind).

Hang on what's this about MMO Junkie

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

EthanSteele posted:

At the Gundam Cafe the burger is the Sleggarburger and not Bright's and its a travesty.

That's not the most upsetting thing at the Gundam Cafe

https://twitter.com/TomAznable/status/1183053900250800128?s=20

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The Gundam cafe employees also do a Sieg Zeon at you when you leave which is a bit uh

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I assume their meat is only cooked one way: charred.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

chumbler posted:

I assume their meat is only cooked one way: charred.

:dadjoke:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zore posted:

The Gundam cafe employees also do a Sieg Zeon at you when you leave which is a bit uh

I'm pretty sure the proper response there is "Zeon is exhausted!"

(Going in for the whole speech would probably take too much of everyone's time.)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Caphi posted:

Hang on what's this about MMO Junkie

The director turned out to be an actual, no-fooling Nazi and got shitcanned from the industry. drat shame, really, it was an excellent adaptation of a very cute manga.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How many people even know the full Revill speech? I sure as hell don't know it beyond that quip, while I'm much more familiar with Gihren's Nuremberg rally.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

How many people even know the full Revill speech? I sure as hell don't know it beyond that quip, while I'm much more familiar with Gihren's Nuremberg rally.

It's not on the show, unlike Gihren's speech, which doesn't help. That said...

General Revil posted:

Fellow Earth Federation citizens! I appeal to you all. Zeon is exhausted! It is low on troops! Low on ships, weapons, and even ammunition! Why then should we surrender? Dear fellow citizens, our true enemy is no longer Zeon but our own weak leaders. Hiding behind some notion of "absolute democracy", they are reduced to absolute indecision. Why should we the survivors of this horrible war, entrust them with the power to make decisions for us!?

How can we forget the arrogance of Degwin Sodo Zabi, when he usurped power in Zeon? He claimed that the people of Zeon are a "chosen people". That we of the Earth Federation are hidebound by archaic ways of thinking, and incapable of realizing the new potential for an expanded human consciousness in outer space. That there is no need for the people of Zeon to obey an "Earth Federation" run by outmodeled human relics! Well, even though I am a member of our armed forces, I have to admit that if Degwin was referring to our corrupt Earth Federation bureaucrats, he was correct.

But, fellow citizens, we must not be deceived by Degwin Zabi simply because part of what he says is true. Zeon may be the Side farthest away from Earth, but that is no reason to believe its leader's prattle about communing with the universe!

Degwin Zabi must not be allowed to justy his vision of Zeon because of corruption in one part of our Federation. His words are the dogma of a man plotting a dynasty of Zabi dictators on Zeon. Even if we recognize the existence of the Zeon dictatorship, that in no sense means we must also sink to our knees before it! The Earth Federation is a government, founded on the premise of sovereign individual rights. Mankind was able to advance into outer space as a result of the Federation government, which is itself a crystallization of all mankind’s accumulated knowledge and experience.

Now, Degwin’s son, Gihren Zabi, says it is the weak and inept Earth Federation itself that must be destroyed! Well, let him go ahead and try. Strike at the heart of our weakness! But what right does he — who slaughtered four billion innocent people — have to strike such a righteous pose?

Gihren Zabi tells us that mankind has violated the laws of nature by reproducing more than any other species. He tells us that mankind’s population growth must be managed, because mankind must learn to inhabit the universe in harmony with nature. He tells us that the death of four billion people was merely expiation for our past sins against nature.

Is Gihren mad? No! Gihren is a despot trying to exterminate the very source of life that has supported and nurtured him. We, of the Federation, shall never comprehend the monstrosity of his actions.

And now Gihren threatens to crash Luna II onto Earth unless we surrender to him. What basis does he have for his demand?! Is he in possession of some sort of absolute truth? No! He possesses nothing more than his own demented dogma. Is the entire Federation completely enfeebled, corrupt, and degenerate? Again, the answer is no. Many good, capable citizens have fought bravely against the threat from Zeon, and we are still strong and alive!! So, then, does Zeon actually possess military superiority over the Federation? Again, the answer is NO!

Fellow citizens, listen to what I say! Gihren’s threats are a mere bluff. Unworthy as I am of my good fortune, I was captured rather than killed by Zeon forces, and thus was afforded the opportunity to see Zeon first-hand. I therefore can assure you that the people of Zeon are exhausted, and there is no way they can possibly strengthen their forces enough to carry out their threats. So I say to you, Gihren Zabi, if you think you can send Luna II crashing to Earth, well then, go ahead and try!

Zeon’s strength was expended in the Battle of Loum. There is no way they can create soldiers overnight, and Gihren Zabi knows it. I therefore appeal to all the citizens of the Earth Federation, to each and every one of you. Zeon is exhausted! Now is not the time for us to kneel before Zeon. It is time for us to rise! Now, more than ever, is our chance to defeat Zeon!

(Notice how Revil spends almost as much time dunking on his bosses as he spends on insulting Gihren. Revil's great.)

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Be sure to order the Dub Rau Club, which comes with an inch thick layer of delicious ham.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

jackhunter64 posted:

Be sure to order the Dub Rau Club, which comes with an inch thick layer of delicious ham.

And a side of all the scenery.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

It's not on the show, unlike Gihren's speech, which doesn't help. That said...

(Notice how Revil spends almost as much time dunking on his bosses as he spends on insulting Gihren. Revil's great.)

Where did this speech actually come from? I've never seen any source material that has the whole speech.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

Where did this speech actually come from? I've never seen any source material that has the whole speech.

Apparently, it's from the novel. I could be misinformed, but that's what everything I've looked up says.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Gihren's speech is more memorable both because it was actually animated, and, for me at least, the dub actor pretty much nailed it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Gihren's speech is more memorable both because it was actually animated, and, for me at least, the dub actor pretty much nailed it.
I don't know if you're referring to the OG Japanese or to Doug Stone, but the crazy thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTlmbcxEV0k

... even if the years have certainly done a number on his voice, old man Banjo Ginga still can sound fairly hot-blooded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaCpbwkNR0w

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Wark Say posted:

I don't know if you're referring to the OG Japanese or to Doug Stone, but the crazy thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTlmbcxEV0k

... even if the years have certainly done a number on his voice, old man Banjo Ginga still can sound fairly hot-blooded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaCpbwkNR0w

Funnily enough, the guy who voiced Gihren in the Ocean dub is actually a Japanese guy who does English voiceover, Hiro Kanagawa. As with Michael Kopsa's Char, it's really a shame we couldn't get them in more than just 0079 and CCA for the latter, as they're both excellent.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Michael Kopsa as Char is silky smooth and I really hate hearing Char with a different voice

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

the gundam cafe was really boring, but i get the feeling that's true of every themed cafe - overpriced themed mediocre food. the neatest thing i probably got were two scoops of ice cream that were meant to represent the banshee and unicorn, otherwise i just had a coffee and got stood up for 1 hour and uh

it's kind of wack to sit through every gundam op ever released as your only company

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

:hmmyes:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Merilan posted:

the gundam cafe was really boring, but i get the feeling that's true of every themed cafe - overpriced themed mediocre food. the neatest thing i probably got were two scoops of ice cream that were meant to represent the banshee and unicorn, otherwise i just had a coffee and got stood up for 1 hour and uh

it's kind of wack to sit through every gundam op ever released as your only company

Obviously, you didn't know the secret password.

If you did, you could go to the back room and participate in an anti-Federation conspiracy as part of the Anti Earth Union Group. But no. You just had to go and leave your soul bound by gravity.

(Speaking of gravity, it's interesting to go back to forums and blogs talking about Gundam before IBO came out bring up how disappointing it is that late show everyone's always flying around. Iron Blooded Orphans really feels like the show that a lot of people were asking for, which makes it kind of funny how some of the same places doing the complaining didn't like it either.)

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I mean at the end of IBO everyone is flying around?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Droyer posted:

Flying is the default method of movement in space, which is where most Gundams tend to end.

MSG, Zeta, ZZ, CCA, Unicorn, Wing, G Gundam, Seed, 00, Build Fighters... final battles all take place in space.

chiasaur11 posted:

Obviously, you didn't know the secret password.

If you did, you could go to the back room and participate in an anti-Federation conspiracy as part of the Anti Earth Union Group. But no. You just had to go and leave your soul bound by gravity.

(Speaking of gravity, it's interesting to go back to forums and blogs talking about Gundam before IBO came out bring up how disappointing it is that late show everyone's always flying around. Iron Blooded Orphans really feels like the show that a lot of people were asking for, which makes it kind of funny how some of the same places doing the complaining didn't like it either.)

So I find it funny that Gundam grogs are complaining about flying.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

Eh, not really. Only the Bael can continuously get off the ground under gravity, and that's more of a low hover. We never really lose proper ground battles with terrain effects like we do in, say, SEED.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

I mean, sorta?

There's boost dashing, but the movement dynamics are closer to the skates in VOTOMs or early Code Geass than proper flight, and that's been in play since the start. Mobile Suits in IBO can boost along slightly above the ground and make some pretty impressive jumps, but they're still generally bound by gravity, unlike the high end suits in 00, Wing, SEED, AGE, X, and Turn A.

It keeps the ground battles feeling different than the space ones.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Apparently, it's from the novel. I could be misinformed, but that's what everything I've looked up says.

Page 90 of the English translation. Just looked it up in my copy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shinjobi posted:

Michael Kopsa as Char is silky smooth and I really hate hearing Char with a different voice

There hasn't really been a bad Char dub (except Steve Blum, he doesn't fit at all). The Blue Water Zeta dub guy is still good at doing mentor stuff and his Dakar speech is good. Keith Silverstein is an excellent voice actor when he's given proper direction, as shown in Unicorn and The Origin, but he plays Char/Frontal more as a genuinely suave playboy rather than as a broken human being adopting his natural charisma affect to hide his anger. When Silverstein doesn't have good voice direction you get memes like "Do you get to the Cloud District very often? Ah, what am I saying? Of course you don't."

Bethesda needs to hire a new voiceover director.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 13, 2019

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

There hasn't really been a bad Char dub (except Steve Blum, he doesn't fit at all). The Blue Water Zeta dub guy is still good at doing mentor stuff and his Dakar speech is good. Keith Silverstein is an excellent voice actor when he's given proper direction, as shown in Unicorn and The Origin, but he plays Char/Frontal more as a genuinely suave playboy rather than that charisma being mostly an affect to hide his anger. When Silverstein doesn't have good voice direction you get memes like "Do you get to the Cloud District very often? Ah, what am I saying? Of course you don't."

Bethesda needs to hire a new voiceover director.

Holy poo poo I read that in Silverstein's voice...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
To bitch about the EFSF Gihren's Greed: Menace of Axis V campaign for a moment, I do not think someone thought through the tech levels or Campaign balance. Basically, EFSF goes exactly how you'd expect, right up until you finish the Delaz fleet, because the next faction you think you'd fight would be either the Titans or AEUG. Instead the next faction you fight is Axis. Axis was absolutely not meant to be fought with an EFSF that just beat Delaz, let's analyze.

The EFSF has very few events in the Delaz fleet section we have the Test Pilot Acceptance Program which gives your Chris if you didn't get her in Part 1 and it gives you Kou and Keith after 5 turns. You have the Gundam Development Project, the Naval Review, and the big one is Operation Stardust which ties into them all. Operation Stardust is a total of 16 turns from kicking off the Gundam project to the disbanding of the Albion team and recruiting Cima. So by the time you finish the Delaz Fleet it's around turn 116, maybe 120? About this level of tech, is 14 or so? Depending on how much you invest?

Right... Here's Axis's tech level when they arrive.

As you can seem 0083 equipment at tech level 14-15 isn't meant to fight Tech level 22 suits. But... let's check our upcoming technology developments and see how we can advance.

Let's assume we hit 16.

we get the EWAC Zack, a good scouting unit, We get the Asshimar which isn't the greatest because it's earth locked but sure, we have a transformable squaddie. We have the GM II, it's cheap but it clogs the ground, we have the Hizack and the Hizack Custom, they're pretty strong, and then we pause.

Because the units we should be getting around this time are Protoype Mk.II Gundam, Delta Gundam, and Mark II Gundam. In fact, we should have had a unit to fill in the gaps at the end of the Delaz conflict for us. the GM Quell and the Hazel Gundam... Those were at Tech level 14. And we didn't get the Galbalthy Beta at Tech level 15. At tech levl 17 we should be getting the Rick Dias and the Hyaku Shiki, at 18 we should get the Gaplant, Marasai and Methuss. Of them we'll only actually get the Gaplant. At 19 we should get the Nemo, but we don't, at 20 We should get the Messala, the Psycho Gundam, the Zeta Gundam and the Dijeh. We'll only ever get the Psycho and Messala. At 21 we'll get the Gabthely (an actual upgrade!) and at 22, parity with Axis we'll not-get the Nemo II, the Hyaku Shiki Ground Type and the Zeta Plus A1... we will get the Byarlant, the Bolinoak and the Zeku Ains though! And finally be able to fight Axis one on one.

So... why do we miss so many units... well... because the events of Zeta haven't happened yet. And until you've sided with either the Titans or the AEUG all those units attached to those facitons are blocked of. So the Feds go through a huge essentially wasteland of actual upgrades from the end of the Delaz Conflict until they beat Axis, at which point they've probably out teched all those old suits. Upon defeating Axis, who are brutally difficult if you don't cheese the game you move on to fight... The Titans or the AEUG both of whom are fielding poo poo like the GM II or the GM Quell or in some cases, Fly Mantha's! You tech up so hard against Axis because they're a ZZ enemy, only to be thrust to fighting Start of Zeta/Pre-OYW era enemies!

It feels like the factions are utterly reversed, like you're meant to choose your Law/Chaos split, and then fight Axis, or Axis shows up mid-fight, or even the AEUG/Titans show up mid-fighting Axis... but they don't. You'll have characters become Titans, but they won't split into the Titan enemy faction, unless you agree to investigate them at Blex's request and more importantly, not until you beat Axis, who's using Quebely's, Zzaz's and Doven Wolves!

What this essentially means is that for basically all of Part 2 for the EFSF, you don't get any tech, until you get passed Zeta, and your reward for beating ZZ-era tech, is to get Zeta tech that you should already have. And the kicker on top of this? Is the Zeta Project, which unlocks a tonne of suits like the Ex-S Gundam and almost all Zeta tech... is loving locked behind clearing the game twice! It's miraculous how poorly thought out Part 2 is.

EDIT: Here's a bit of a comparison

This is Axis Tech.

This is EFSF tech

Onmi fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 13, 2019

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pretty rude of the new Build Divers ED to be about how the childhood friend will never have a chance because the boy she likes is obsessed with an AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

chumbler posted:

Pretty rude of the new Build Divers ED to be about how the childhood friend will never have a chance because the boy she likes is obsessed with an AI.

AI is the purest form of love.