Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
This is the reason pediatricians advice for giving your kid small amounts of peanut butter regularly so they don't grow up having a peanut allergy. We've seen a HUGE spike in kids with peanut allergies, and it can be directly attributed to so many parents keeping peanut anything far away from their little angel, not realizing this is doing more harm than good.

Edit for content:

Easy fix but lol at not realizing what you did before you got it installed.

Zipperelli. fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's hookworm, IIRC, not tapeworm. But yes. There's some evidence that when everyone had hookworm it gave our immune systems something to fight continuously (for example we know it causes a particular kind of white blood cell to be produced in response) and that all the countries that cured it started having way more people with allergies.

e. but it's still too soon for people to be deliberately infecting themselves with gross parasites to try and cure their athsma or whatever

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zipperelli. posted:

This is the reason pediatricians advice for giving your kid small amounts of peanut butter regularly so they don't grow up having a peanut allergy. We've seen a HUGE spike in kids with peanut allergies, and it can be directly attributed to so many parents keeping peanut anything far away from their little angel, not realizing this is doing more harm than good.

Edit for content:

Easy fix but lol at not realizing what you did before you got it installed.

I eat peanut butter toast regularly with my newborn for just this reason. (Actually it's about all I can muster during those first few days.)

I also reinstalled a sliding door handle backwards just Friday! I noticed when I went to put in the second set of screws I had gotten both of them wrong.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Leperflesh posted:

It's hookworm, IIRC, not tapeworm. But yes. There's some evidence that when everyone had hookworm it gave our immune systems something to fight continuously (for example we know it causes a particular kind of white blood cell to be produced in response) and that all the countries that cured it started having way more people with allergies.

e. but it's still too soon for people to be deliberately infecting themselves with gross parasites to try and cure their athsma or whatever

Yeah, we need something like "inactivated hookworm pills" for people to take which provokes the immune response but without the whole hookworms inside you pooping into your brain part.

Breads, cereals, pasta, flour, rice and similar have folate in them, add hookworm powder to them as well.

Of course, you'd have to come up with a better name than "hookworm powder" because that would not look good on the front of the corn flake box.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Captain Hook’s Immune Powder, or CHIP, available from a 4 AM commercial for $29.99 for the first 90 days.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Today in homestead.jpg

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

some sort of "inactivated" disease agent that provokes the immune response without also triggering the actual disease, you say

that sounds extremely dangerous, I'd want to be absolutely sure it doesn't give me autism or anything

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Javid posted:

Today in homestead.jpg

I’d rate that latch above the average gate’s.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Javid posted:

Today in homestead.jpg

That's not too bad, if it saves a trip to the hardware store for the cost of 2 nails. It's not like the gate itself is going to be winning any beauty awards anyway.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The "couldn't be bothered to remove the sticker" look is something I feel very personally.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Javid posted:

Today in homestead.jpg

Needs a lock. You don’t want anyone to be able to just waltz in and steal from your big platform of garbage.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Jaded Burnout posted:

The "couldn't be bothered to remove the sticker" look is something I feel very personally.

why would you remove the sticker? gives it extra stick

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jaded Burnout posted:

It may not be removed under penalty of law!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
That's a load bearing sticker

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Its so internet people can scan with their smartphone and it'll link you to their pinstagram page where they have a whole build thread.

*selfie with Greta, the 90 year old home depot cashier where I went to buy the nails that got bent for the "latch"

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

Its so internet people can scan with their smartphone and it'll link you to their pinstagram page where they have a whole build thread.

*selfie with Greta, the 90 year old home depot cashier where I went to buy the nails that got bent for the "latch"

you seem worked up about something that doesn't exist

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Well, I mean I satirically use "pinstagram" as a combination of Pinterest and Instagram..... I guess "Pinstagram" doesn't exist.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Jaded Burnout posted:

The minute of fingernail scaping and vigorous wiping with lighter fluid that would have been required for a purely cosmetic improvement would have almost doubled the install time.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Nobody is somehow hiding URLs in a UPC barcode sticker because that is literally not how UPC codes work but go off I guess.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Leperflesh posted:

Apparently worms work pretty well for inflammatory bowel diseases, but they generally use worms that won’t wreck your stomach too badly.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Moatman posted:

Apparently worms work pretty well for inflammatory bowel diseases, but they generally use worms that won’t wreck your stomach too badly.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Nobody is going to mention the hotel being built in New Orleans that collapsed? 2 dead, 1 still missing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kid sinister posted:

Nobody is going to mention the hotel being built in New Orleans that collapsed? 2 dead, 1 still missing.

It was on the last page. We just didn’t talk about it much.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
A different discussion on it introduced me to The Harmon, a would be 49 stories of Las Vegas clusterfuck. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Harmon (no deaths)

A 400 million dollar skyscraper, 15 stories in they discovered the structural steel was installed misaligned and in some places wasn't there at all. There was an attempt to salvage it by cancelling the condos and dropping the height, before ultimately giving up on it.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/local-las-vegas/engineering-company-finds-harmon-tower-construction-defects-pervasive/
“ 'The construction defects in the tower observed to date are so pervasive and varied in character that it is not possible to quickly implement a temporary or permanent repair to remediate the defects, or even determine whether such repairs can be performed,' Chuckwuma Ekwueme, an associate principal with Weidlinger told CityCenter Vice President of Facility Operations William Ham in a letter dated Monday"

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

HelleSpud posted:

A different discussion on it introduced me to The Harmon, a would be 49 stories of Las Vegas clusterfuck. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Harmon (no deaths)

A 400 million dollar skyscraper, 15 stories in they discovered the structural steel was installed misaligned and in some places wasn't there at all. There was an attempt to salvage it by cancelling the condos and dropping the height, before ultimately giving up on it.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/local-las-vegas/engineering-company-finds-harmon-tower-construction-defects-pervasive/
“ 'The construction defects in the tower observed to date are so pervasive and varied in character that it is not possible to quickly implement a temporary or permanent repair to remediate the defects, or even determine whether such repairs can be performed,' Chuckwuma Ekwueme, an associate principal with Weidlinger told CityCenter Vice President of Facility Operations William Ham in a letter dated Monday"

Thanks for that: I thought poo poo like this didn't happen in the 'civilised' world anymore

quote:

In late 2008, work on the Harmon Hotel/Condo Tower was stopped after inspectors discovered construction defects: County inspectors discovered improper installation by Pacific Coast Steel of critical steel reinforcements (rebar) after 15 stories of the building had already been erected.[8] The error caused a major change in the building's design; instead of being 49 stories, it was reduced to 28 stories with the condominium element, The Harmon Residences removed entirely
Surely that's the time when you go 'hang on, this is hosed up, maybe we should stop paying people to build this turd?'

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

Shut up Meg posted:

Thanks for that: I thought poo poo like this didn't happen in the 'civilised' world anymore

Apparently it does in New Zealand!

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/116557551/new-zealands-defective-concrete-crisis-revealed-by-investigators

Luckily it’s not like the entire country lies on a tectonic plate boundary or anything, right? Right?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Shut up Meg posted:

Surely that's the time when you go 'hang on, this is hosed up, maybe we should stop paying people to build this turd?'

The contractor and inspector that built/inspected it are probably out of business and re-formed as a new corporate entity, and the owner/insurance is just mitigating losses from that point on.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
The main contractor insisted that it was salvageable but the developer was trying to make it sound worse than it was as an excuse to write it off. A settlement got them 100 million + for work already done.

As for the developer: They were likely happy to cancel the condos and possibly happy to ditch the whole thing. Halfway through construction and a year from opening they only had deposits for 88 out of 204 condos then it turned out it was going to be more expensive and then it was late 2008 and they're trying to sell luxury property.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
f the plans were flawed and followed, that’s fixable, but if things were made up as they went along and never documented, the structure can easily be unsalvageable.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
It's just hard to tell what was the actual extent since all the info is from multiple parties each giving their own conflicting account with hundreds of millions riding on very different outcomes and the resolution occurring quietly behind closed doors.

I wanted pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining why each one was an acme of unintentional comedy. :(

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Now now, this isn't an illegal trash dump we're talking about here.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

NoSpoon posted:

Apparently it does in New Zealand!

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/116557551/new-zealands-defective-concrete-crisis-revealed-by-investigators

Luckily it’s not like the entire country lies on a tectonic plate boundary or anything, right? Right?

I'd expect it to happen everywhere touched by the invisible, sociopathic hand of neoliberalism.

Australia, for instance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYzwIrybSjU

Current advice on buying a new apartment is "don't"

quote:

Gall is blunt. “Don’t buy a new apartment over three storeys. Don’t do it.”

His advice is to aim for buildings that are older than 10 years, to inspect the strata minutes, and, if you have the money, get an independent certifier to check the building.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/jun/18/cracked-up-how-can-apartment-buyers-guard-against-a-defective-purchase

GotLag fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 17, 2019

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

If I were to work in construction I'd get myself a shirt with this cool design posted on the logo thread:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

corgski posted:

Now now, this isn't an illegal trash dump we're talking about here.

Well, they might only get fined 50 dollars and told to clean it up....

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
A video came out of the Hard Rock hotel before it collapsed, showing bending temporary supports.

https://youtu.be/otMpiOhVmxg

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I finally decided to tackle my wobbly toilet tank and opened it up to discover the only thing keeping it from leaking all over the place was the sheer amount of rust. I literally pulled the bolts out from the bottom by hand without unscrewing anything; they didn't have heads anymore, or they never did and were paired with some nuts that had completely disintegrated. Of course now that I've cleaned that mess up and put in new bolts and washers, it wont stop leaking. :suicide:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

womp womp

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kid sinister posted:

A video came out of the Hard Rock hotel before it collapsed, showing bending temporary supports.

https://youtu.be/otMpiOhVmxg

It turns out that they were all “temporary supports”.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Well that is all faintly horrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Munin posted:

Well that is all faintly horrifying.

The breakdown of how these problems occur due to the 'design and construct' starting at 13:25 is amazing. Basically the developers just get a real/bigname designer to do the initial concepts, and then all the subsequent steps are passed down to the construction crew, who all continue to pass that responsibility down until you have tradesman just sort of muddling along doing their thing and simultaneously being responsible for 'design' work, and hoping that it all comes together (it will not).