Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
eh requiring a BA shrinks the potential hire pool for police departments which in turn should incentivise these institutions to institute more robust / effective training regiments because they can't just replace bad hires with rookies. It also would likely require that they pay better to compete with other industries that a BA would open up their applicants to. Who knows what it would actually look like in the real world though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

If we could find a way to disqualify prior military from being cops I would be on board.

E: typo

colachute fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 13, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

colachute posted:

If we could find a way to disqualify prior military from people cops I would be on board.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

We should disarm all police and repeal the 2nd amendment

I’d be a lot more amenable to gun control if it affected the police first.

A few months ago, we had an issue in my building with a neighbor who had dementia. She basically convinced herself that a local grifter was her boyfriend and invited him home to live with her while he quietly stole and sold her poo poo. Long story short, Adult Protective Services and then the cops got involved. As soon as APS got called, I started getting religious about making sure my door was locked at all loving times, even when my fiancée and I were at home. My demented neighbor lived directly underneath me, and our unit numbers were only one number apart. I could have seen a situation wherein the cops went to the wrong unit, opened the door, freaked out my dog and prompted him to charge or bark at them, and then I’d be left with a dead dog (and probably a dead me because I can’t guarantee that I wouldn’t try to beat the everloving gently caress out of someone who hurt my dog, no matter who they are.)

The DC police don’t even have a reputation for being trigger happy, but these sure are things you think about when there’s a lot more uniforms around your home than you’re used to.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Maybe cops can try to understand the communities they are policing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl1XoK3juVs

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Wasabi the J posted:

Maybe cops can try to understand the communities they are policing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl1XoK3juVs

Well, that sure was a speech :stare:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

#3 is interesting in that while an educated force would potentially be a better force, it's also an arbitrary gate to the profession that would largely affect the underprivileged.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

EBB posted:

#3 is interesting in that while an educated force would potentially be a better force, it's also an arbitrary gate to the profession that would largely affect the underprivileged.

And put more whites in it.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

stealie72 posted:

1) No more DoD freebies for police departments

2) Vets get in line with everyone else trying to apply (because I know banning vets from being cops will not happen)

3) BA in some kind of relevant field required

4) National standards/policies for all departments
4a) Federal oversight for all PDs (no idea what this looks like)

5) Bring back residency requirements

6) No individual department may have a SWAT team (to reserve then for real SWAT situations)

7) Make all policing community policing. Get out of the cars and learn people's names

8-999) Other things I haven't thought of

I think discussion like this really does help. 3 is useful, just for ensuring a standard of writing ability and specific curriculum (require ethics classes and continuing education). I like 7, though we're bad at making levers that can support both 4 and 7.

There are over 700,000 police officers in these U.S., plus civilian support, just over half of the personnel in the U.S. Military. The U.S. spends $100 billion on law enforcement and $80 billion on incarceration a year, combining to 1/20th of our federal budget (though the spending isn't all from federal sources), just under 1/3rd of the $610 billion we spend on the military every year. These are big issues that will require nuanced answers.

Numbers:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2017/08/07/how-much-do-u-s-cities-spend-every-year-on-policing-infographic/#7a9ab184e7b7
https://www.governing.com/gov-data/public-workforce-salaries/military-civilian-active-duty-employee-workforce-numbers-by-state.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_budget_of_the_United_States

Edit: Good point about 3, I didn't consider that.

piL fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 13, 2019

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

piL posted:

I think discussion like this really does help. 3 is useful, just for ensuring a standard of writing ability and specific curriculum (require ethics classes and continuing education). I like 7, though we're bad at making levers that can support both 4 and 7.

I literally majored in ethics and took multiple minority studies classes in college as well as West African history classes specifically because I wanted to go into law enforcement. I recommend it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah, 3 could be "make the academy more academically rigorous" and 3a "and the department/gov pays for the academy"

Or, you know Free College For All and then require a BA.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'd thought the conventional wisdom was that vets are generally more responsible than the typical LEO given that many have had experience with strict rules of engagement and might have seen first-hand the benefit of not rousing ill-will in the community. Is that not accurate?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Cops need to get paid a lot more, too.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Quick google says in dallas anyway vet cops are more shooty.
https://www.themarshallproject.org/2018/10/15/police-with-military-experience-more-likely-to-shoot

Mr. Nice! posted:

Cops need to get paid a lot more, too.
Also, this. Once they stop killing people.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'd thought the conventional wisdom was that vets are generally more responsible than the typical LEO given that many have had experience with strict rules of engagement and might have seen first-hand the benefit of not rousing ill-will in the community. Is that not accurate?

Like everything else: it depends on the individual. If you've got some "rah rah I am in the reserves and I just want to kill haji" type he really shouldnt be in any job that gives him authority. Or an actual veteran with severe PTSD. Really, rules like this are all irrelevant without better and deeper background checks plus an emphasis on deescalation in training.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Gotta climb that promotion ladder somehow.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Kawasaki Nun posted:

eh requiring a BA shrinks the potential hire pool for police departments which in turn should incentivise these institutions to institute more robust / effective training regiments because they can't just replace bad hires with rookies. It also would likely require that they pay better to compete with other industries that a BA would open up their applicants to. Who knows what it would actually look like in the real world though.

Now replace "cops" with "military officers" and see if you still agree.

stealie72 posted:

Quick google says in dallas anyway vet cops are more shooty.
https://www.themarshallproject.org/2018/10/15/police-with-military-experience-more-likely-to-shoot

Also, this. Once they stop killing people.

You're not going to attract better people with poo poo wages that require 20 hrs of overtime a week just to keep the mortgage paid up.

Edit: Also I don't know if it's like this everywhere, but in some states potential cops have to pay their way through the academy unless they have a job waiting for them (which is one way that vets get in so easily...the PD knows they can take orders and run a mile or whatever so they're less of a risk than the 22 year old college student who hasn't worked anywhere but fast food).

Godholio fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 13, 2019

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Vet cops are almost always more shooty.

https://academic.oup.com/jpubhealth/article-abstract/41/3/e245/5114353

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

stealie72 posted:

1) No more DoD freebies for police departments

2) Vets get in line with everyone else trying to apply (because I know banning vets from being cops will not happen)

3) BA in some kind of relevant field required

4) National standards/policies for all departments
4a) Federal oversight for all PDs (no idea what this looks like)

5) Bring back residency requirements

6) No individual department may have a SWAT team (to reserve then for real SWAT situations)

7) Make all policing community policing. Get out of the cars and learn people's names

8-999) Other things I haven't thought of

Anytime they fire their weapon not during training have a new procedure for investigating if the shoot was legit. You shoot them in the calf with a through and through and they dont get compensation for missed work or hospital bills until the shoot was found legit. Going to be a whole lot less quick on the trigger if theyre getting shot either way. Cant do it in the arm or thigh because too easy to hit the arfery. With the calf you can keep the bullet away easer

Edit: cuz right now the mental math seems to be "if i dont shoot this person i may get shot". This may change it to " is shooting this person worth getting shot". And it would clear out the people who only wanted a legal way to shoot people

Stravag fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 13, 2019

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Godholio posted:

Now replace "cops" with "military officers" and see if you still agree.

I don't really understand what you're getting at with this statement. Cops shouldn't be earning poverty wages and we as a nation should not be hiring bottom of the barrel applicants to police our communities because that's all we are willing to pay.

I fail to see the relevance of comparing cops to military officers, and my experience in the submarine navy generally only put me in contact with an officer corps that was incredibly competent on average.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 13, 2019

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Let's massively demilitarize and cut defense spending because holy poo poo maybe having an economy that relies upon constant militarization is bad

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I don't really understand what you're getting at with this statement. Cops shouldn't be earning poverty wages and we as a nation should not be hiring bottom of the barrel applicants to police our communities because that's all we are willing to pay.

I fail to see the relevance of comparing cops to military officers, and my experience in the submarine navy generally only put me in contact with an officer corps that was incredibly competent on average.

The stupidity of requiring a degree, any degree, as a way of determining whether one is qualified for a job that is almost certainly unrelated to the field of said degree.

Edit: Actually I think we're in agreement on this. Not really sure how I misread your post, so pretend I was piling on.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Dude was right. Dorner for best cop in history.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Dude was right. Dorner for best cop in history.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Cops are loving civilians.

How is this loving hard they aren't in the military they're loving civilians.

Take away protections. take away the ability to self police.

If you fire your service weapon you are done working as a police officer.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
We need a judiciary that is willing to stop believing that law enforcement is acting in good faith.

In essence, we should stop giving the benefit of a doubt to the people who have literally all the power and all the protection.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Proud Christian Mom posted:

We need a judiciary that is willing to stop believing that law enforcement is acting in good faith.

It concerns me that there have been a few times this past week or so that we've agreed.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Honestly make cops meet the FLETC standards. If they fail to be able to talk to people have a nice day. If they dont understand that the contact officer stays the contact officer have a nice day. You want fed funding meet fed standards otherwise get hosed.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

bird cooch posted:

Cops are loving civilians.

How is this loving hard they aren't in the military they're loving civilians.

Take away protections. take away the ability to self police.

If you fire your service weapon you are done working as a police officer.

Yeah, this is the thing that people don't seem to grasp: there's no such thing as a "blue life". It's a job, just like any other job. You choose to be a cop, it's not something that is forced upon you. At this point anyone who has chosen to be a cop has picked a side in a fight between the general population and an oppressive armed force.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

A Bad Poster posted:

a fight between the general population and an oppressive armed force.

I suspect that's not how most of them see it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Godholio posted:

I suspect that's not how most of them see it.

I worry more than it's exactly how many of them see it, and they want to be on the winning side.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

I worry more than it's exactly how many of them see it, and they want to be on the winning side.

Its this

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Actually, nvm.

AlexanderCA fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 14, 2019

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Proud Christian Mom posted:

In essence, we should stop giving the benefit of a doubt to the people who have literally all the power and all the protection.

That's uh, not the purpose of the courts. It would make a lot more sense to fix policing than to have courts assume the government is acting in bad faith.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Melthir posted:

Honestly make cops meet the FLETC standards. If they fail to be able to talk to people have a nice day. If they dont understand that the contact officer stays the contact officer have a nice day. You want fed funding meet fed standards otherwise get hosed.

This is one of the first realistic posts in a while in this thread.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Melthir posted:

Got a link or full description of these standards? Never heard of it before, kind of interested.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Fort Worth police chief apparently figured out this was going to be bad and can't cover it up.

Named the officer, said he would have fired him today if he didn't resign, gave evidence to the FBI for civil rights violation.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Shooting Blanks posted:

Got a link or full description of these standards? Never heard of it before, kind of interested.

here's police JKO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Grem posted:

Fort Worth police chief apparently figured out this was going to be bad and can't cover it up.

Named the officer, said he would have fired him today if he didn't resign, gave evidence to the FBI for civil rights violation.

The witness murder or the lady who got shot for standing infront of her window with a gun in the house,