Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

Pretty rude of the new Build Divers ED to be about how the childhood friend will never have a chance because the boy she likes is obsessed with an AI.

To give it credit, it does a good job of telling their entire shared past without having to cram it into an episode somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The super hero looking dude is seriously Captain Zeon?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Logicblade posted:

AI is the purest form of love.
AV / Post combo. :mmmhmm: :3:

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Wark Say posted:

I don't know if you're referring to the OG Japanese or to Doug Stone, but the crazy thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTlmbcxEV0k

... even if the years have certainly done a number on his voice, old man Banjo Ginga still can sound fairly hot-blooded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaCpbwkNR0w

I'm partial to the Andrew WK version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L03K2njcCrM

Merilan posted:

the gundam cafe was really boring, but i get the feeling that's true of every themed cafe - overpriced themed mediocre food. the neatest thing i probably got were two scoops of ice cream that were meant to represent the banshee and unicorn, otherwise i just had a coffee and got stood up for 1 hour and uh

it's kind of wack to sit through every gundam op ever released as your only company

I went in to get some kind of Unicorn-flavored soda, and had to sit there for a few minutes because the 0083 opening was playing and I just can't leave in the middle of that, poo poo bangs so hard.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

It's good enough that I'd be interested in hearing him voice Gihren entirely (even if that is by far his most emotive scene), and think he'd probably make a good villain VA in general since he really seems the character's passion and charisma during the speech.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Azubah posted:

The super hero looking dude is seriously Captain Zeon?

Apparently it's a callback to a blink and you'll miss it frame from 08th MS Team?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arcsquad12 posted:

Apparently it's a callback to a blink and you'll miss it frame from 08th MS Team?

Captain Zeon is from MS Era, a photographic history of the One Year War released alongside Gundam 0080

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ANAmal.net posted:

I went in to get some kind of Unicorn-flavored soda, and had to sit there for a few minutes because the 0083 opening was playing and I just can't leave in the middle of that, poo poo bangs so hard.

Tom Cruise as Kou Uraki.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Warmachine posted:

Tom Cruise as Kou Uraki.

There's no way Cruise would ever play a loser like Kou, who failed on multiple fronts in the end. Couldn't stop Gato, couldn't stop the colony drop, his love interest snubs him in favor of his rival in the finale, and then just turns up again afterwards like their reunion is supposed to be a happy moment the story has earned with no elaboration.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I get the vague feeling people like Men of Destiny more but for me, the first 0083 OP is probably my favorite Gundam OP ever.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3tlha4

Which is a crying shame since 0083 is the worst Gundam I've ever seen. I couldn't even finish it.

Is there any other Gundam that has such a stark contrast between OP quality and the quality of the show it was attached to?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

tsob posted:

There's no way Cruise would ever play a loser like Kou, who failed on multiple fronts in the end. Couldn't stop Gato, couldn't stop the colony drop, his love interest snubs him in favor of his rival in the finale, and then just turns up again afterwards like their reunion is supposed to be a happy moment the story has earned with no elaboration.

Thanks for reminding the class how 0083 goes completely off the rails once the director changes.

Nina, Episode 1, directly staring at Gato: No recognition
Nina, once meeting Kelly: OH poo poo THAT'S RIGHT I'M GATO'S EX.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I get the vague feeling people like Men of Destiny more but for me, the first 0083 OP is probably my favorite Gundam OP ever.

Which is a crying shame since 0083 is the worst Gundam I've ever seen. I couldn't even finish it.

Is there any other Gundam that has such a stark contrast between OP quality and the quality of the show it was attached to?

A couple of AGE's OPs were quite good.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Droyer posted:

A couple of AGE's OPs were quite good.

Why are you saying good things about AGE?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

NikkolasKing posted:

Build Divers and SEED DESTINY both had some great openings. I also dig AGE's fourth opening, but I may be more out in the woods on that one.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Because this slaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzlYMKSRt0E

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
All I know about AGE is that is has some great OPs. SEED and SEED Destiny have some great EDs too.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

iospace posted:

Why are you saying good things about AGE?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FuWZeE_N6Y

If you search for Gundam Age BGM on youtube that's the first result because, yeah, that's the one you would be looking for

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NikkolasKing posted:

I'll never miss a moment to post this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bhCMoMYXfo

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Gripweed posted:

Captain Zeon is from MS Era, a photographic history of the One Year War released alongside Gundam 0080

It’s presented as an in-fiction collection of photography, meaning it gets some mileage out of the original series.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I've been reading a book today called The Moe Manifesto and there's an interesting passage about Gundam 0079.

Patrick W. Galbraith posted:

Further, in 1979, the anime series Mobile Suit Gundam aired on Japanese TV. Often a considered a "realistic robot" anime, and much loved by mecha fans outside Japan, the series was at first heavily criticized by established sci-fi fans inside Japan, who were dismissive of the melodramatic emphasis on human relationships and scathing about the shallowness and excitability of the series. Though it is not much remembered today, news reports from the time detail how Gundam fans would dress up as characters from the series and make a spectacle of themselves on the streets of Harajuku, one of the epicenters of Tokyo's youth culture. Fans of Mobile Suit Gundam have long peppered their fanzines, which are at least ostensibly about robots, with images of cute girls.

There are no references to elaborate on this passage, and I'm a little confused by it. Who exactly are the "established sci-fi fans inside Japan" who were complaining about "shallowness" in Gundam? Like is it the Mazinger Z and Getter Robo crowd? The people into Space Battleship Yamato?

It also brings to mind Tomino's comments about women being a major part of the original Gundam's fandom, which makes me wonder if there's some crossover here between those comments and what Galbraith is talking about.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Raxivace posted:

I've been reading a book today called The Moe Manifesto and there's an interesting passage about Gundam 0079.

There are no references to elaborate on this passage, and I'm a little confused by it. Who exactly are the "established sci-fi fans inside Japan" who were complaining about "shallowness" in Gundam? Like is it the Mazinger Z and Getter Robo crowd? The people into Space Battleship Yamato?

It also brings to mind Tomino's comments about women being a major part of the original Gundam's fandom, which makes me wonder if there's some crossover here between those comments and what Galbraith is talking about.

in my experience it's probably like any other time a show comes out that has a different demographic in mind (even indirectly) and the loud, insecure cishet male demographic feels like they're not being catered to like any other time in their lives

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

In my experience, guys who were into Gundam definitely got weird about girls getting into their franchise back in the day. It wasn't necessarily mean or rude but there was definitely a vibe of "you're not a real fan" at the time. As an adult I don't care but I definitely cared more as a teen. Now I just feel old.

This is English fandom specific though, can't say anything about the Japanese or non-English speaking parts of fandom.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

NikkolasKing posted:

Goddamnit, I can't help it, every single time I listen to this, when the horns come in I lose my poo poo.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

This is legit one of my all time favorite opening songs. It's just such a neat change from the usual op song and it sounds great to boot

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Gripweed posted:

If you search for Gundam Age BGM on youtube that's the first result because, yeah, that's the one you would be looking for

You are correct because I knew what this was going to be before clicking.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gripweed posted:

What's Flit's big hero theme from S1? That's not as good, but quite good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raxivace posted:

No sources makes me a bit skeptical. One of the things about the original Gundam that documentaries cover is that it was more popular with college students than the intended younger viewing audience. Further, the early audience was about 30 percent women, and they were more likely to draw Char and Garma kissing than the cute girls in their fan magazines from what I've seen of the old doujins.

This reminds me of the claims that Empire was unpopular on release, using a handful of cherrypicked sources to create an artificial narrative for some other purpose. Maybe a chunk of literary science fiction fans were inclined to snub their noses at anime (Gundam having giant robots would only encourage that), but if I remember right, Gundam drew a lot of fans who appreciated nerdy details about orbital mechanics and the like from the start. It's why the MSV kit manuals go on and on about design histories.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

NikkolasKing posted:

You'll probably like this cover of The Winner then;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAPF6NND70w

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

No sources makes me a bit skeptical. One of the things about the original Gundam that documentaries cover is that it was more popular with college students than the intended younger viewing audience.

The recent anniversary documentary that was translated on YouTube makes it sound like that was Tomino's intention all along, to target teenagers and young adults rather than kids. I can't remember the exact line, but there's something in there that implies it if I recall.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

tsob posted:

The recent anniversary documentary that was translated on YouTube makes it sound like that was Tomino's intention all along, to target teenagers and young adults rather than kids. I can't remember the exact line, but there's something in there that implies it if I recall.

The 'Expected child audience' is probably the better way to say it. Robot shows were primarily seen as children's television.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Gundam Battle Operation 2 launched its English release last week. I made a thread for it https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901276 if anyone else is playing.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
https://twitter.com/t_features/status/1184372276759654402

Intermediary step between Wing Zero and Snow White? The closest they're going to get to being able to make Snow White as a figure or model? Something else?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The arrows around the base suggest they might finally have decided what the Snow White is supposed to look like. The Snow White's Buster Rifle is called "The Seven Dwarves" and has an array of 7 magic arrows that fire different elements, so the numbers check out at least.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There's only 6 things around the base of the wings, not 7; so those numbers don't check out. It looks more like the Drei Zwerg fittings for the Twin Buster Rifle, to enlarge it's blast size/power, since it can mount 6 of them and they're roughly the same shape as can be seen behind it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Make Frozen Teardrop real, cowards.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

The arrows around the base suggest they might finally have decided what the Snow White is supposed to look like. The Snow White's Buster Rifle is called "The Seven Dwarves" and has an array of 7 magic arrows that fire different elements, so the numbers check out at least.

So on the basis of this insanity I checked the Gundam Wiki entry for FT.

:psyduck:

It is as though they looked at the parts of Wing that made very little sense and decided to see if they could top that. It doesn't even sound particularly entertaining, just completely batfuck.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
"They" in this case is Katsuyuki Sumizawa, who is the man behind pretty much everything Wing; he was the main writer for both the TV show and Endless Waltz, along with the Glory of the Losers manga and a few other bits and pieces too. I think he mentioned in interview or something that he threw every crazy idea he had in to Frozen Teardrop to see what worked, and that if it ever got animated that he intended on just using the parts he liked, rather than all of it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Duo 2 and Zechs' daughter, Zechs, getting out of their gundam in the middle of their battle to have a picnic.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

chumbler posted:

Duo 2 and Zechs' daughter, Zechs, getting out of their gundam in the middle of their battle to have a picnic.

That's going in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

FT's Duo 1 is so incredibly weird that I secretly hope they keep it if someone ever takes enough drugs to authorize an animated version. Duo was super popular for the TV series and EW and that character turn is absolutely bizarre.