Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

PracGuide: Man, everything from Indict onward was amazing, but prior to that I particularly enjoyed the byplay with the Dead King and Archer. Biased indeed.

SITB posted:

Hanno missteped here I think.

Throughout his entire career he dealt with canny operators that basically abused the narrative structure to get what they want, like Black, Cat, DK and Tyrant.

So him thinking that Anaxares wasn't speaking with 100 genuine conviction was a mistake.

Also Black is conspicuously absent, guess he relearned that old villian lesson about knowing how to pick his battles.

Absolutely. This was a result of Hanno completely misreading Hierarch and thinking this was all part of a grand scheme. It even seems like Kairos might have explicitly excluded Hierarch from any plans or anything from this, so it can actually be "his" rather than Tyrant's. It's just Tyrant knows what he'll do already, because he understands Hierarch--and everyone else there--on a fundamental level due to Wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

If you will not come to me...

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
The League heroes turned out so much fun. A fitting send-off!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Pracguide: RIP Kairos Theodosian

you died doing what you loved: ruining everything and being a hilarious rear end in a top hat

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
drat, son. PracGuide at the top of topwebfiction with ~2x the votes of the next entry, and I can't say that it's undeserved.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
PracGuide Given the last few lines about Kairos being offered all those things (Below always pays their dues) and him hearing applause as he dies, I assume that Below approved him as one of their foremost champions.

Also, are the Seraphim dead or merely insensate because of Anaxares blocking them? The text suggests the latter but Kairos talks about them being killed when he talked about wielding Judgement.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I think Heirarch is effectively tying them all up for the rest of time. The only force that can strike at him among Judgement is presumably Judgement itself, and they can't kill him just as he can't kill them. Alternatively, and much more hilariously, he has basically joined the Choir himself somehow and the Choir must now follow the Laws and Traditions of Bellerophon, First and Greatest of the Free Cities. Otherwise he'll just be an obstructionist rear end in a top hat.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The latter was my reading: Heirarch joins the Choir of Judgement but holds them to his standards.

edit: What was Tyrant's dying question?

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 18, 2019

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

The latter was my reading: Heirarch joins the Choir of Judgement but holds them to his standards.

I heavily doubt it since he just sentenced them to death and has no reason to compromise and join them.

As for the second question, Kairos basically asked if Below was entertained by/has approved his act and the applause at the end was his answer.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

SITB posted:

PracGuide Given the last few lines about Kairos being offered all those things (Below always pays their dues) and him hearing applause as he dies, I assume that Below approved him as one of their foremost champions.

Also, are the Seraphim dead or merely insensate because of Anaxares blocking them? The text suggests the latter but Kairos talks about them being killed when he talked about wielding Judgement.

It's all wordplay just like the Kairos prophecy. Can Judgement that cannot judge even be called Judgement anymore? They're not dead in a human sense but they are in all the ways that matter, unable to interact with the world as they are in eternal check. I imagine Hanno's collapse just due to his close relationship with them, sort of like getting a mantle ripped off. Probably not gentle.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-l6tHeseDY

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 19, 2019

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Oh I got that. I thought there was maybe more to it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I said when I read that chapter, that putting that curse on Kairos was like loading Chekhovs gun, I just didn't think it'd happen so soon, or so loving effectively.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Oh god, i'm going to miss both Heirarch and Kairos. Just so wonderfully utterly mad.

edit:

As to other stories.

Azarincth Healer - bit too much of a powa level fest. I think the author got a better idea of what they wanted to do eventually but having the "school arc" start when the mc is some kind of walking WMD seems a bit.. odd.. as choices go.

He Who Fights with Monsters - It's not terrible but the author is very much writing by the seat of their pants. The MC is this social manipulator apparently. That's news to me? Moving on.

Queen in the Mud - Fun little tale actually. I enjoyed it.

Vainqueur the Dragon - Also a good little tale!

Blinks77 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 19, 2019

asur
Dec 28, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Bizarre but weirdly compelling pitch in the comments:

Kairos spoke words that at that moment were definitely a lie ("I win", when Anaxares was getting throttled by a second Choir), forcing Mercy to turn its attention to fulfilling the geas the Pilgrim laid upon Kairos. But this freed Anaxares to finish his verdict, which means Kairos won, which means Mercy broke The Rules.

I kinda hope this is the play, now.

I don't see it as Mercy breaking the rules. Kairos lied and is punished. That he later wins doesn't change that his statement at the time was a lie.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI: (((RENT CONTROL)))

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

A big flaming stink posted:

TWI: (((RENT CONTROL)))

I love when it is pointed out that the new council is filled with working class people and not rich assholes, something the previous council didn't notice. Oh, and Erin deserves to be paying those taxes.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Peachfart posted:

I love when it is pointed out that the new council is filled with working class people and not rich assholes, something the previous council didn't notice. Oh, and Erin deserves to be paying those taxes.

“And that’s the poorest district! With widowers, old Drakes who can’t tie down a full job anymore and people who need a home! Where do they go if they can’t afford the rent?”

The [Shopkeeper]’s voice was too loud. Yalla winced.

“How should I know?”

It was the wrong answer, and the wrong indignant tone to take. Lism exploded as his fist came down and sent the bowl of nuts flying.

“They go to live with their families or friends or they sleep on the street! Six silver coins and five copper for a room on Welcaissel Street!? I’d be ashamed to rent that room to Humans!”

“How dare you! What I do with my apartments is my business!” :thermidor: :murder: :thermidor:

pirateaba has 100% dealt with landlords before. also im pretty sure this is the first fantasy work i've read that has correctly ID'd landlords as bloodsucking parasites that only exist to oppress the powerless

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I've been slowly working my way back through TWI again and picking up a lot of things I missed on my first read-through.

Pirateaba loving owns.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Peachfart posted:

When they characterize the council as being a bunch of lazy rich assholes who don't do much of anything. That explains why Erin's Inn was considered an autonomous holding near Liscor when the Pallas-Magic door dispute came up. Just too lazy to deal with the weird human. Thread tie ins every where!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TWI: Overall my favorite line was: 'The Council’s modus operandi had been ‘don’t fix what isn’t broken’, or perhaps, ‘if it still sort of works, let’s just not bother fixing it.’ And it had worked. So the people inside the room were a bit peeved that no one seemed to appreciate the hard work they hadn’t done.'

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Are any of the popular serials in this thread available in ebook format? I already have The Wandering Inn volumes 1 and 2.

I vastly prefer to read these on my kindle than to read them as a blog post or whatever.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ConfusedUs posted:

Are any of the popular serials in this thread available in ebook format? I already have The Wandering Inn volumes 1 and 2.

I vastly prefer to read these on my kindle than to read them as a blog post or whatever.

It's not popular, especially here, but I'm working on turning the first two volumes of the Lightning Brigade into a book come January or so. It'll have proper editing, some new scenes and some rearranged content. Basically the proper final draft.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ConfusedUs posted:

TWI is literally the only one

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

There are tools to make your own ebooks, I did it for the first couple PracGuide books for my wife. Just don't put what you make in a publicly accessible spot to download, authors hate that.

http://www.omnibuser.com/

(Hard mode) https://github.com/kemayo/leech

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Into the Mire is going to have an ebook of Book 1 up shortly as well as an audio edition (complete with goon cello on the theme song! thanks, sebmojo!).

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I use Scrivener for everything, so turning arcs or chapters into ebooks would be quite simple in theory. The questions are how to format them for easiest reading, which I have zero experience doing, and where exactly to make them available.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Cicero posted:

There are tools to make your own ebooks, I did it for the first couple PracGuide books for my wife. Just don't put what you make in a publicly accessible spot to download, authors hate that.

http://www.omnibuser.com/

(Hard mode) https://github.com/kemayo/leech

There's also a Firefox plugin that covers a few sites that omnibuser won't do.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/android/addon/webtoepub-for-baka-tsuki/

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hungry posted:

I use Scrivener for everything, so turning arcs or chapters into ebooks would be quite simple in theory. The questions are how to format them for easiest reading, which I have zero experience doing, and where exactly to make them available.

I have zero experience in making and marketing serials, but if you're going to assemble your stuff into ebooks anyway you might consider following TWI's example and offering them on Amazon for like $2.99/book- it's possible you'll hit some people who aren't aware of the website and it gives anyone who wants to support you but doesn't want to bother with patreon an easy venue.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

I have zero experience in making and marketing serials, but if you're going to assemble your stuff into ebooks anyway you might consider following TWI's example and offering them on Amazon for like $2.99/book- it's possible you'll hit some people who aren't aware of the website and it gives anyone who wants to support you but doesn't want to bother with patreon an easy venue.

True thought in this case it's hard to KEEP being unaware of the web novel when on the Amazon book page Pirateaba literally says:
'(This novel is the e-book version of the free web serial. You may read the entire ongoing story at wanderinginn.com free of charge.)'

I bought 'em cause I like to have nicely compiled kindle versions of web serials.

PS Volume 1 is 1100+ pages and Volume 2 is 1600+ pages. Good grief.

Kalas fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 21, 2019

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Pirateaba is going to have vol 2 made into an audiobook and it's going to clock in at 42 hours

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
lmao volume 1 is already 43 hours and the volumes only increase in length per installment.

Edit: my bad, vol 2 is shorter than 1

Argue fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 21, 2019

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Argue posted:

lmao volume 1 is already 43 hours and the volumes only increase in length per installment.

Edit: my bad, vol 2 is shorter than 1
Nope, vol 2 is substantially longer in word count. Fewer chapters, but a lot more words.

Vol 3 is about the same as Vol 2, then Vol 4 is a lot bigger again, and Vol 5 is nearly 3x as long as Vol 1. Just over a million words lmao

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Cicero posted:

Nope, vol 2 is substantially longer in word count. Fewer chapters, but a lot more words.

Vol 3 is about the same as Vol 2, then Vol 4 is a lot bigger again, and Vol 5 is nearly 3x as long as Vol 1. Just over a million words lmao

90s Cringe Rock posted:

aba stands for "another book, another"

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Ksmvr couldn’t get enough of gluten after discovering the Amulet of Food Poison Resistance or whatever it was. It turned out lots of Antinium liked gluten—they were just hugely intolerant to it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Klbch eats a bunch of pasta out of being polite to Erin but explains waaaaay back in book 1 that it tasted good too, so it wasnt entirely an excuse to give her money.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It's just neat to see Ksmvr being happy and devouring bread.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ksmvr is definitely one of my favorite characters. Most of the individual antinium are, really. I love how aba writes them.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI: i'm experiencing extremely uncomfortable feelings of :kimchi: towards az'kerash right now.

what an incredible loving chapter.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow, the TWI Patreon is really good too. Its a Chandrar chapter that isnt boring, and might be the best battle chapter Pirateaba has written due to the pacing and format

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Worth the Candle updated with five new chapters.