Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

TofuDiva posted:

In case it helps, Consumer Reports did an article on how to choose a good home inspector.

quote:

So Tiffany Holley and her husband were understandably upset when they discovered that the home they had just moved into had a plumbing problem that had been causing raw sewage to spill into the foundation's crawlspace. The home inspector they'd hired prior to buying the house had failed to uncover the issue.

This reminds me of the couple who discovered that all their plumbing from their house (trailer?) was literally simply not connected to the pipes going into the ground. The pipes out of the home just opened into the crawlspace. It was bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My inspector was poo poo but at least he didn't miss literal poo poo.

It pisses me off when people brag about an inspector giving them a report with X number of pages. As if that's a measure of any kind of quality. Mine was like 10 pages and had such amazing items as "Doesn't have a handrail for the 2 step entry sidewalk" and "cracks above some doorways and windows". No poo poo, I have eyeballs too. I'm not paying you to state the obvious. Go find poo poo I can't see on the listing photos.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

My inspector was poo poo but at least he didn't miss literal poo poo.

It pisses me off when people brag about an inspector giving them a report with X number of pages. As if that's a measure of any kind of quality. Mine was like 10 pages and had such amazing items as "Doesn't have a handrail for the 2 step entry sidewalk" and "cracks above some doorways and windows". No poo poo, I have eyeballs too. I'm not paying you to state the obvious. Go find poo poo I can't see on the listing photos.

You actually are paying them to DOCUMENT the obvious. And the not-so-obvious. It all needs to be in there.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

If youre trying to negotiate credits at closing load up on everything? why not get nitpicky and see you can carve a few grand off your costs?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Depending on how motivated the sellers are that can backfire, though. When I bought my house the offer I made included a provision that I would be responsible for the cost of repairs that the inspector found up to $3000, (excluding the chimney liner that needed replacement that we both already knew about). The sellers were from out of state and the house was unocuppied, plus they already had at least one buyer back out last second. I figured this way it gave them some piece of mind and still protected me.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Nevets posted:

Depending on how motivated the sellers are that can backfire, though. When I bought my house the offer I made included a provision that I would be responsible for the cost of repairs that the inspector found up to $3000, (excluding the chimney liner that needed replacement that we both already knew about). The sellers were from out of state and the house was unocuppied, plus they already had at least one buyer back out last second. I figured this way it gave them some piece of mind and still protected me.

First offer on our place they hardballed us down like $5000 from our asking price, then wanted to nickel and dime us on like $250 worth of small stuff from the report. We told them to go pound sand and walked away. A few weeks later we got a better offer closer to our asking price.

On the other hand, I have a friend who looked at a place being renovated that had a glass walled shower without the glass and a sign "glass walls here!". Of course on the tour they found the flipper didn't install them (and said they wouldn't, since the house already sold and it would cost too much to finish that part). Since they already got them down like $15k they didn't want the deal to fall through on like $2k worth of work, but they put their foot down and the seller agrees to just pay the difference in cash.

So you know, YMMV.

When we bought our place we put in our offer that we would cover any expenses for repairs from the inspection up to $2k. That gave us piece of mind of still having a right to walk away if the inspector found a disaster (instead of an As Is offer) but gave the seller assurances we wouldn't jerk them around.

It ended up being like $1500 of repairs, most of which Ive ended up doing myself ($75 per outlet that needed to be replaced lol).

Hubis fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 8, 2019

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Just in case someone hasn't seen these yet, This Old House does a series of galleries showing Home Inspection Nightmares that professional inspectors have written in with. It is... cautionary, and very entertaining.

(That's a radiator hose from a 1945 Pontiac leading to a home's main stack, btw.)

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

TofuDiva posted:

Just in case someone hasn't seen these yet, This Old House does a series of galleries showing Home Inspection Nightmares that professional inspectors have written in with. It is... cautionary, and very entertaining.

(That's a radiator hose from a 1945 Pontiac leading to a home's main stack, btw.)

If it's good enough for America it's good enough for your house dammit

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm looking to get a new top load washer for the basement. I've replaced the water inlet valve twice now and the cold water (on Cold Rinse cycle only) trickles out instead of flowing. Cold water works fine on other settings but all of the settings have a cold rinse cycle. We can run cold water on another setting to fill it up then switch back to cold rinse but I hate babysitting a washer like that. Googling the numbers now says it was probably made in January 1996 so I'm amazed it has lasted this long.

Anyway, what are the good brands nowadays? Preferably $500 or less, top load.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm looking to get a new top load washer for the basement. I've replaced the water inlet valve twice now and the cold water (on Cold Rinse cycle only) trickles out instead of flowing. Cold water works fine on other settings but all of the settings have a cold rinse cycle. We can run cold water on another setting to fill it up then switch back to cold rinse but I hate babysitting a washer like that. Googling the numbers now says it was probably made in January 1996 so I'm amazed it has lasted this long.

SpeedQueen
SpeedQueen
SpeedQueen

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

There aren't any, get a GE or Maytag whatever fits in your space without an agitator and just assume you will need to replace it in 7 years.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Doing a kitchen remodel. We've got our appliances, cabinets come next week, counters after we get the cabinets installed. I'm installing the appliances, though.

I'm trying to determine if I need to have the counter fabricators cut a hole for an air gap for the dishwasher. Every house I've been in has had one, current one has one, but the manual for the new dishwasher says that as long as the wastewater line has a high point above the trap that it's not necessary (this is, by googling, called a high loop?). How do you figure out what codes apply? Is it by city or county?

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Faustian Bargain posted:

How do you figure out what codes apply? Is it by city or county?

Call up your local codes inspector office and ask them if an air-gap is required.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

PremiumSupport posted:

Call up your local codes inspector office and ask them if an air-gap is required.
After being transferred around a few times I got to a guy who just said "yep it's required here, we don't allow for high loop." That was easy.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Blugh. Put in an offer on the one and it got accepted...BUT...sellers want to do a rent-back until January 31st rent free.

The timing actually is fine for us...it's the complication of leases, rental units, if doing so classifies the property as an investment property, if all that triggers rent control laws etc. etc + having to pay for 3 months of their rent.

Basically now we're getting the real estate lawyers involved.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 18, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

El Mero Mero posted:

Blugh. Put in an offer on the one and it got accepted...BUT...sellers want to do a rent-back until January 31st rent free.

The timing actually is fine for us...it's the complication of leases, rental units, if doing so classifies the property as an investment property, if all that triggers rent control laws etc. etc + having to pay for 3 months of their rent.

Basically now we're getting the real estate lawyers involved.

Why not just close Jan 31?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've heard enough horror stories about situations like that, close on Jan 31 or walk away IMO.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

H110Hawk posted:

There's a lot more risk for the sellers in that situation (you'll find something better, you'll get hit by a bus, etc), so in some seller's markers you may not be able to force this without losing the house. At least, that's what was told to me by my agent when I put an offer on a house where the sellers also didn't want to move out right away. (I didn't get it.)

If OP isn't in a strong sellers market tho yeah they should push for that.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
What about increasing your deposit by whatever their 3 months of rent is? That way if you walk they aren't out any money for losing 3 months being off the market.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
You should probably check with your tax advisor to make sure there aren't rent control/tax implications since that's going to vary by jurisdiction, but in any case, the "rent-free" notion is risky, because it means that the sellers have no incentive to actually be out on January 31, and you have limited leverage to make them get out then. So if you decide to close earlier and let them stay until then, write a non-trivial monthly rent into the agreement.

That was my buyer's agent's advice when I bought, and it turned out to be really good advice.

TofuDiva fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 18, 2019

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
You could also decide to redistribute the risk with a somewhat later closing date but reduced rent, for example. Just saying, it's not all or nothing.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

We asked for a longer escrow period but they rejected it and didn't give a reason. We also suggested a nominal rent as well and that was rejected. Overall it's been pretty frustrating.

Apparently they're moving across the street and have a rentback agreement with THAT person and but that agreement is contingent on the sale of their house...which I suppose is why they want money sooner?

I don't know. It's getting more complicated, that's for sure

E: I just noticed this isn't the house buying thread either. My bad

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 18, 2019

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

El Mero Mero posted:

We asked for a longer escrow period but they rejected it and didn't give a reason. We also suggested a nominal rent as well and that was rejected. Overall it's been pretty frustrating.

Apparently they're moving across the street and have a rentback agreement with THAT person and but that agreement is contingent on the sale of their house...which I suppose is why they want money sooner?

I don't know. It's getting more complicated, that's for sure

E: I just noticed this isn't the house buying thread either. My bad

Eh, just plan to post about your house once you move, then it's relevant :allears:

Quite honestly though, this is the point where I told my seller that there are other houses in the world and that if they wouldn't work with me, then I'd walk away. I wasn't bluffing, either. They caved.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

TofuDiva posted:

Eh, just plan to post about your house once you move, then it's relevant :allears:

Quite honestly though, this is the point where I told my seller that there are other houses in the world and that if they wouldn't work with me, then I'd walk away. I wasn't bluffing, either. They caved.

I agree with this. Don't put yourself in a sketchy situation bending over backwards for these guys.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Jumping on the don't do it bandwagon. Three months is a long time. Unless you are in some type of insanely competitive market--find another house. Or just threaten to walk. (Threatening to walk only works if you really are ready to walk. Nothing like realizing the deal has crumbled to motivate the seller to get you back to the table--but again, this won't work in a highly competitive market.)

Once you close on the house--the house is yours. Your sellers have now become tenants. With zero dollar rent. What happens when the house across the street isn't available when it is supposed to be? What happens when you discover every single appliance you thought was staying is gone? Or there are holes in the wall? Or they decide to become a cat rescue and the carpeting squishes under your feet they are so laded with piss?

Do you have a security deposit? Do you have rent setup for months four through twelve? Realize too that any damage that occurs to the house while they are renting will only be recoverable through civil courts if you don't have a deposit.

Plus there is only a small window where you aren't making a house payment. On month two and three--you will need to pay your mortgage on the house you are allowing the sellers to use--and you still need to pay for where ever you are living. Ouch.

The other factor that makes the deal a little weirder. The sellers are going from owners in the neighborhood to renters in the same neighborhood? So you will be seeing the sellers on a regular basis after the sale. And no one wants to start off living in a neighborhood with built up animosity among your new neighbors. What ever you do, will be interesting to hear how it turns out.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Like I’m not as pessimistic as some; I did a 1 mo rent back w/o issue, but rent free? Fuuuuuccck that.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

Like I’m not as pessimistic as some; I did a 1 mo rent back w/o issue, but rent free? Fuuuuuccck that.

It's an amazing confluence of dumb ideas. Any 1 should be setting up a teeth gnashing but a risk that you could stomach, but this is just a deal with 0 consideration.

You aren't running a charity and the longer you talk to them the less dumb it gets because it's closer to your move in date. This needs substantial consideration on your side of the deal - rent, comical security deposit, reduced sale price, something. Just because they agreed to dumb terms to buy their house doesn't mean you have to as well.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Just buy the house they’re trying to buy.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Just buy the house they’re trying to buy.

That's the power play.

Also, you'll be paying property taxes and utilities and everything else, or at least it will likely be in your name.

Bad idea.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Buy both properties, offer to rent them the new house as well.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Ugh. There are 900 things I'd like to fix around the house right now, but none of them are single-step processes. I'd like to heat our garage so I could actually move some exercise stuff in there and be able to use it all year, but it's probably dumb to heat the garage with the current poorly-fitting, uninsulated garage door.

So, it's not really a big deal to replace our garage door -- even including saying "gently caress it, replace the tracks and everything so it seals better" -- but the current garage door rests in a small trench between the asphalt of the driveway and the concrete pad of the garage. It's sort of a pain -- if you open the garage door in winter to use the snowblower, the trench fills up with snow, and then the door won't close. So I really should fill in that gap. I think powerwashing it and simply filling it in with some concrete would be fine, but the garage door tracks would have to be removed first. So to fix that, I have to coordinate it with the garage door replacement.

On top of this, I have precisely zero time for work on weekends other than "when the kid naps" ... and I can't do anything loud because the kid is napping. Goddamnit.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Ugh. There are 900 things I'd like to fix around the house right now, but none of them are single-step processes.

On top of this, I have precisely zero time for work on weekends other than "when the kid naps" ... and I can't do anything loud because the kid is napping. Goddamnit.

Wow, I didn't realize "you" were actually "me".

Seriously, the double whammy of "too dangerous to do with a kid in tow" and "too loud/disruptive to do when they are asleep" has really cut into DIY time. The fact that my workbench is perpetually covered with a half-dozen broken toys I need to glue/screw/miscellaneously repair doesn't help.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Haha, yeah I feel that pain. Our youngest is just growing out of naps, though, so it does change. I'll lose nice quiet time for desk work tasks but gain back diy ability.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
:smug: my kids didn't give 2 shits about the house shaking ledger install for our patio cover.

Also nap time became "quiet play time in your room" time from 2:30/3:00-5:00pm. Pro tip. The only drawback is we can't watch TV because he can hear it and wants to come watch (or is terrified of it, oops trying to watch Preacher when we thought he was asleep.)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Also not helpful is that I am a walking point source of home improvement disaster, so you can be assured anything I do will require five times the effort of anything competent person.

I guess tomorrow I should just make some calls about the garage door. Home improvement would be a lot easier if you could trust anyone you call to do their job, the thought of dealing with a jerk contractor really dulls the desire to do anything more than the minimum.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I guess tomorrow I should just make some calls about the garage door. Home improvement would be a lot easier if you could trust anyone you call to do their job, the thought of dealing with a jerk contractor really dulls the desire to do anything more than the minimum.

Ain't that the fuckin' truth.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Also not helpful is that I am a walking point source of home improvement disaster, so you can be assured anything I do will require five times the effort of anything competent person.

I'm not sure where you are weather wise but you could possibly cut to fit some rigid foam and put that onto the back of your garage door for some benefit???

And/or just get a propane heater and run it blasting at your nuts just during your workout time(s). Save the new garage door and the hassle of your weird trench thing till the spring.

edit: I'm about to move from a detached garage house to an attached setup but my kid is coming up on 2.5 and her room will be on the opposite side of the house so hopefully I can still do some loud noise stuff when she sleeps.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

HycoCam posted:

What ever you do, will be interesting to hear how it turns out.

Yeah, so we sat down with a real estate attorney and wrote a new offer that had a lower purchase price, a high deposit, an incredibly high rent that would start at day 1 of the end of the rent-back, and requirements to get liability insurance and pay our legal bills if poo poo goes south.

Basically, any financial advantage from doing this was removed for them. They came back with a few questions about tweaking stuff and were upset about the lowered offer and we told them they're welcome to make one other counter-offer, but we're likely walking.

I think they've been showing it all week to suss out a better deal and it hasn't materialized for them yet, so we'll see what they do. Either way, this hasn't exactly been a terribly fun process so even if they come back with minor changes we might still just walk.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah, so we sat down with a real estate attorney and wrote a new offer that had a lower purchase price, a high deposit, an incredibly high rent that would start at day 1 of the end of the rent-back, and requirements to get liability insurance and pay our legal bills if poo poo goes south.

Basically, any financial advantage from doing this was removed for them. They came back with a few questions about tweaking stuff and were upset about the lowered offer and we told them they're welcome to make one other counter-offer, but we're likely walking.

I think they've been showing it all week to suss out a better deal and it hasn't materialized for them yet, so we'll see what they do. Either way, this hasn't exactly been a terribly fun process so even if they come back with minor changes we might still just walk.

:toot: Goon speed, sounds like you've worked out a not-awful deal.