Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

CainFortea posted:

It's not like he has any other frame of reference, plus all the adults talking about how important it is.

Yeah, you don't just wake up one morning and go from zero inventing a machine to extract oil from Iraqi children. That fundamentally flawed broken view of the world has to be cultivated at a tender age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Boy oh boy my uniform's gonna get me laid any day now just you watch boy oh boy oh boy!!!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I wasted three years of my life doing that poo poo. The one way it did prepare me for the future was with a sneak peak of the kind of defective personalities I'd encounter in the real military.

I was once dumb enough to have a lot of respect for one of the teachers. I later came to realize that he didn't care for teaching so much as he had a psychological need to have a captive audience of dumb teenagers around to watch him huff his own farts. He did inadvertently teach me to be wary of SNCOs though. As it turns out they may talk a good game but ultimately don't give a gently caress about you, or have your back.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

i don't care if it's probably fake. i chuckled.

https://twitter.com/TheWTFNation/status/1182816513172086786

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

shovelbum posted:

Does anyone in the US military including special forces actually know how to operate without historically unprecedented levels of reinforcement and materiel right around the corner

Outside of your tier zero Sam Fisher types? Doubtful. I’d say the handful of guys that’ve ended up actually serving alongside the YPG as civilians probably have more of an understandinng of that mindset.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
The answer is Caro, as it always was, and always will be.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

shovelbum posted:

Does anyone in the US military including special forces actually know how to operate without historically unprecedented levels of reinforcement and materiel right around the corner

not, but we train our officers well on how to relearn tactics by getting people killed

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Boy oh boy my uniform's gonna get me laid any day now just you watch boy oh boy oh boy!!!

RIP Flounder/Vir Cotto

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Let out an audible oh goooood

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Let out an audible oh goooood

WHOA just had a flashback to college playing some F2P MMO (I couldn't afford WoW like my roommate :(). Anyways, I'm grouped up with some randos when a 'master chief' blows up on someone for besmirching his honor or some garbage. Another party member calls bullshit, making the master chief back down and admit he's just JROTC. The party member turned out to be a cadet at one of the service academies, and started to give 'leadership' lessons while everybody else was telling them both to shut the gently caress up.

Pop quiz: Who's the bigger idiot in this story?
Answer: me for signing up after getting a sneak peak of the future :v:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If you were sufficiently drunk or high it was probably funny as gently caress.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Stravag posted:

Christ jrotc in highschool was the dumbest poo poo ever why would you be that proud of it

That poo poo got me out of SO MANY legit classes because "Oh I've got a rotc thing!" Teacher: "Great, just make sure to get that assignment turned in next class."

Merit badges though...oof.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
All the JROTC kids I've encountered in service have been vocal they were JROTC and also very ate up. System working as intended.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

All the JROTC kids I've encountered in service have been vocal they were JROTC and also very ate up. System working as intended.
The one way it generally comes up is.
"Play any sports in high school?"
"Well I was going to run cross country but then I made a terrible mistake...."

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Godholio posted:

That poo poo got me out of SO MANY legit classes because "Oh I've got a rotc thing!" Teacher: "Great, just make sure to get that assignment turned in next class."

Merit badges though...oof.

Sadly i went to a military religious school with mandatory jrotc from 6th until 10th so it was a before homeroom after school thing. Christianity got its own class tho because why not. And the people doing uniform inspections every morning only vaguely knew how many activities you were in so after i got the 2rd triple ribbon bar i stopped because gently caress having to pay for those stupid things. Also "your tie is crooked by an 1/8th of an inch you lose promotion points today" cool go gently caress yourself.

Jrotc was the reason i went from "maybe the military would be cool" to "gently caress that noise"

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Stravag posted:

Jrotc was the reason i went from "maybe the military would be cool" to "gently caress that noise"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

When I was doing sea scouts as a teenager I thought being a BM in the coast guard would be the most awesome thing ever but I got distracted chasing tail and ended up joining as an IT in the Navy 20 years later.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Stravag posted:

Sadly i went to a military religious school with mandatory jrotc from 6th until 10th so it was a before homeroom after school thing. Christianity got its own class tho because why not. And the people doing uniform inspections every morning only vaguely knew how many activities you were in so after i got the 2rd triple ribbon bar i stopped because gently caress having to pay for those stupid things. Also "your tie is crooked by an 1/8th of an inch you lose promotion points today" cool go gently caress yourself.

Yeah that sucks. Our organization was super easy and laid back. It took something truly stupid to really cause a problem for anyone (like say...stealing a fire hydrant, then putting a BDU blouse on it because it was the in way of formation and too heavy to move in time).

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

When I was doing sea scouts as a teenager I thought being a BM in the coast guard would be the most awesome thing ever but I got distracted chasing tail and ended up joining as an IT in the Navy 20 years later.

I was Navy then CG. Being a BM in the CG was pretty tits.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

LingcodKilla posted:

From what I gather you were a clown long before you joined the navy!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

From what I gather you were a clown long before you joined the navy!

Laugh now.... uh....laugh some more.... i'm sure i'll cry someday about this

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I quit the Civil Air Patrol cadet program when I was 15 after I got sick of getting yelled at by a kid two years older than me but was somehow an “officer” for having my rank insignia being 1/32 of an inch out of place.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I quit the Civil Air Patrol cadet program when I was 15 after I got sick of getting yelled at by a kid two years older than me but was somehow an “officer” for having my rank insignia being 1/32 of an inch out of place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUzG7Y3SPRA

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

At least CAP has a slightly better chance of doing something cool. That's a big maybe, but far better than the big fat zero chance you'd get in JROTC.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Na man if you signed up for extra bullshit you could twirl rifles

Edit: that actually pissed me off cuz the 42id base or armory was across the street and the best "cool thing" our army jrotc school could come up with was some propoganda display at the pepsi arena with like 1 bradley and a half dozen guys firing blanks into smoke clouds? And this was like in 04 or 05.

Stravag fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 13, 2019

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I quit thr CAP after I went to an encampment and got punched by a seventeen year old officer from down-state for saying his girlfriend was fat (she was) and I was the one punished because I “started it”.

I was thirteen.

CAP had some fun stuff but as soon as you got outside of the immediate squadron hooooly poo poo.

Edit: to be honest I was kind of an rear end. But I was also thirteen and being an obnoxious rear end is kind of a base state. Also the people who decided I started it and was at fault for my black eye were middle aged adults.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 13, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I got my first piece of action, first sex and first hang over from my time in sea scouts and they all happened with kids the same age!

Also I did some stuff with boats.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Twirling rifles is dumb, so is fancy drill for that matter.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

Twirling rifles the military is dumb, so is fancy drill :911: for that matter.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

LingcodKilla posted:

I got my first piece of action, first sex and first hang over from my time in sea scouts and they all happened with kids the same age!

Also I did some stuff with boats.

I've never gotten any of those things from a boat except the hangover

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hungover and seasick is its own special version of hell. No extra punishment required, I’ve never been so miserable in my life :vomarine:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/TerminalLance/status/1184186391854383104?s=20

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Icon Of Sin posted:

Hungover and seasick is its own special version of hell. No extra punishment required, I’ve never been so miserable in my life :vomarine:

Thank you so much for the reminder.

Dick.

:v:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I never really got seasick, but hungover when leaving port was a pretty common thing among all ranks.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I was all ready to hate all over this given the title, and it might be a bit serious business for this thread, but *drat*: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J2VwFDV4-g

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I was all ready to hate all over this given the title, and it might be a bit serious business for this thread, but *drat*: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J2VwFDV4-g

Yeah, that book hosed me up. There's not a place in hell hot enough for McNamara.

...I do highly recommend reading the book, but man is it depressing.
https://www.amazon.com/McNamaras-Folly-Low-IQ-Troops-Vietnam-ebook/dp/B0108H60MG

ulmont fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 17, 2019

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I never really got seasick, but hungover when leaving port was a pretty common thing among all ranks.

My favorite overseas memory is from first getting into port in Cebu in 09, and everyone immediately going out on libo, getting positively hosed, and pounding every girl and what not in a five mile radius, and the next morning having PT on the pier. Our extremely pious PL was so distraught over our debauchery that we were doing sprints in the summer heat until we had a guy pass out while everyone was puking over the side.

What the hell did they expect us to do, go to church?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ulmont posted:

Yeah, that book hosed me up. There's not a place in hell hot enough for McNamara.

...I do highly recommend reading the book, but man is it depressing.
https://www.amazon.com/McNamaras-Folly-Low-IQ-Troops-Vietnam-ebook/dp/B0108H60MG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFhmZUfp65o

listen at the 28:00

this guy was very creative with his radio during his time in vietnam

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
So, idiots:

This weekend is "Fleet Fest" at Naval Station Norfolk. Tomorrow (Saturday) the public can go on base to tour ships, see some aircraft static displays (and buy some quality E-2 merchandise that supports a good cause :cheers: ), and see a demonstration from the SEAL/SWCC team.

Who are a bunch of absolute loving idiots.

Today we hosted a bunch of school groups to get the same tour as the general public on Saturday, and I was on duty talking about the plane. Hundreds of kids swarming around asking adorable questions like "how do people die in this plane" and "what's the RPM of the propeller". A fun day for everyone. But as things are winding down and most of the kids are walking to their buses, the SWCC dickbrains decide to run their tactical demonstration that starts off with full-auto blank bursts from an M-249. With zero warning.

Absolute loving chaos ensues as everyone screams and runs for the buses. Kids get knocked over and one is drat near trampled. Consider that this is 2019 and kids now get active shooter training before they learn cursive. I have no doubts that this is going to cause nightmares for a lot of those kids. Plus, when I walked over to see what the hell these chucklefucks were doing, they were firing blanks directly at the crowd. I'm not an expert on blank firing but I'm pretty sure that's still a bad loving idea. Just like that entire exercise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Swcc, lol