Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Deborah Levy's latest novel, The Man Who Saw Everything, is partially set in the GDR. Though, to be fair, I think even "an abstract take" would be pushing it, but I thought it was a good book!

Funnily enough, Der Himmer Über Berlin gets a little shout-out in it.

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Thanks for the recommendations, all! Super helpful.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

grahm posted:

I'm headed to Berlin in a few weeks and before I go I would like to read some historical fiction (nonfiction is also OK) focused on or around Berlin — WWII or Cold War era. Something in the vein of "The Kites" by Romain Gary would be amazing. Or maybe there's a quintessential book about the Berlin Wall falling, or the divide in the city? Or a more modern, abstract take on the division? If it helps, I enjoy journalists who then go on to write realistic fiction (Vasily Grossman, Arthur Koestler). Anything to give me a vibe of the city and/or history and/or major themes. Any recommendations are appreciated!

Every Man Dies Alone by Hans Fallada?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'd actually suggest a movie

Ooo, just watch The Lives of Others.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

tuyop posted:

Ooo, just watch The Lives of Others.

Oh, yeah, this is great. You could also read or watch The Spy Who Came in From the Cold, although that's probably getting a little further from the original request.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

funkybottoms posted:

Oh, yeah, this is great. You could also read or watch The Spy Who Came in From the Cold, although that's probably getting a little further from the original request.

I was going to suggest that. Probably doesn't fit the bill exactly but it's a great book and an easy read.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

grahm posted:

I'm headed to Berlin in a few weeks and before I go I would like to read some historical fiction (nonfiction is also OK) focused on or around Berlin — WWII or Cold War era. Something in the vein of "The Kites" by Romain Gary would be amazing. Or maybe there's a quintessential book about the Berlin Wall falling, or the divide in the city? Or a more modern, abstract take on the division? If it helps, I enjoy journalists who then go on to write realistic fiction (Vasily Grossman, Arthur Koestler). Anything to give me a vibe of the city and/or history and/or major themes. Any recommendations are appreciated!

Human Tornada posted:

You've gotten a lot so far but I'll throw in Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther novels. They follow a super like-able private detective from pre-WWII Germany up through the Cold War.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

grahm posted:

I'm headed to Berlin in a few weeks and before I go I would like to read some historical fiction (nonfiction is also OK) focused on or around Berlin — WWII or Cold War era.

I was thinking that The Third Man by Graham Greene hits all the notes you're looking for, but unfortunately it's set in post-WWII, allied occupied/subdivided Vienna, not Berlin.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I was reading an article in The Guardian about how terribly Eurocentric the Nobel Price for Literature is, and one of the names that came up in the article was Adonis. Apparently, he could lay claim to being the Arab world's greatest living poet.

Is anyone familiar with his work and can suggest a starting point? Is his work translated so I would even be able to read it?

j5mello
Jul 23, 2008
Hello Thread,

I've been tasked with getting book recommendations for a small work book club. Its a mix of avid and not so avid readers, mostly in the 25-35 age range. This club is just starting and the criteria for the early books are:

Fiction over Non - No SciFi or Fantasy (to start)
Upbeat Story - (this is super vague but eh)
Around 300 pages to help our not avid readers
Unread by the group - (you all can't help with this but it eliminates some obvious stuff)

The only book I remember vividly that mostly fits this is the The Hatchet by Gary Paulsen; not sure it's an upbeat story though.

I realize this request is both weirdly specific and annoyingly vague but I'll take any help I can get.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

j5mello posted:

Hello Thread,

I've been tasked with getting book recommendations for a small work book club. Its a mix of avid and not so avid readers, mostly in the 25-35 age range. This club is just starting and the criteria for the early books are:

Unread by the group - (you all can't help with this but it eliminates some obvious stuff)

The only book I remember vividly that mostly fits this is the The Hatchet by Gary Paulsen; not sure it's an upbeat story though.

I realize this request is both weirdly specific and annoyingly vague but I'll take any help I can get.

Scroll through the book barn book of the month thread. It has a list of all prior selections.

Edit: Specifically, looking over old TBB BotM selections, I would suggest All Creatures Great and Small, Three Men in a Boat, and Right Ho, Jeeves as prime candidates to get a book club started. Upbeat, funny, literary, heartwarming, not too long, generally not read by most people these days unless they're very avid readers. ONce they're ready for a fantasy, try Lud in the Mist.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 14, 2019

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I just finished reading Warlock and Butcher's Crossing in quick succession. Any other cynical Western novels y'all can recommend? I'll get around to Blood Meridian eventually, but not just now, FYI.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

j5mello posted:

Hello Thread,

I think A Man Called Ove by Fredrick Backman would fit. It’s somewhat sad at times but leaves you with warm fuzzy feelings at the end.

j5mello
Jul 23, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Scroll through the book barn book of the month thread. It has a list of all prior selections.

Edit: Specifically, looking over old TBB BotM selections, I would suggest All Creatures Great and Small, Three Men in a Boat, and Right Ho, Jeeves as prime candidates to get a book club started. Upbeat, funny, literary, heartwarming, not too long, generally not read by most people these days unless they're very avid readers. ONce they're ready for a fantasy, try Lud in the Mist.

Thanks Hieronymous Alloy, I pulled those three plus a few extras for the book club (plus a dozen more for my personal reading list).

For the jeeves books do I start at the beginning of the series with #1? When I searched goodreads, #6 matched the title search.

cryptoclastic posted:

I think A Man Called Ove by Fredrick Backman would fit. It’s somewhat sad at times but leaves you with warm fuzzy feelings at the end.

This looks like the movie Up in book form but with a more grounded setting.

Grudgerm
May 4, 2012

by Reene
Just finished reading The Magic Mountain. Does anyone know any other Thomas Mann books that can compare?

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Grudgerm posted:

Just finished reading The Magic Mountain. Does anyone know any other Thomas Mann books that can compare?

Read everything except for Royal Highness.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Speaking of westerns many pages back someone mentioned a book that was like a western but in Siberia. Anyone remember the book I'm talking about?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

BurningBeard posted:

I just finished reading Warlock and Butcher's Crossing in quick succession. Any other cynical Western novels y'all can recommend? I'll get around to Blood Meridian eventually, but not just now, FYI.

Those are both great novels -- I loved them both. Thought that Butcher's Crossing was the "Walden" take on the western and I found Blood Meridian to be the "Apocalypse Now" of westerns, when you get around to that one.

Along similar lines....

The Ox-Bow Incident by Walter Van Tilburg Clark
The Searchers by Alan Le May

The Law at Randado by Elmore Leonard is pretty loving bleak too.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Speaking of westerns many pages back someone mentioned a book that was like a western but in Siberia. Anyone remember the book I'm talking about?

Not sure if it’s what was mentioned but this description makes me think of Last of the Breed, by Louis L’amour:

quote:

Here is the kind of authentically detailed epic novel that has become Louis L’Amour’s hallmark. It is the compelling story of U.S. Air Force Major Joe Mack, a man born out of time. When his experimental aircraft is forced down in Russia and he escapes a Soviet prison camp, he must call upon the ancient skills of his Indian forebears to survive the vast Siberian wilderness. Only one route lies open to Mack: the path of his ancestors, overland to the Bering Strait and across the sea to America. But in pursuit is a legendary tracker, the Yakut native Alekhin, who knows every square foot of the icy frontier—and who knows that to trap his quarry he must think like a Sioux.

Does that sound right?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

AARP LARPer posted:

Those are both great novels -- I loved them both. Thought that Butcher's Crossing was the "Walden" take on the western and I found Blood Meridian to be the "Apocalypse Now" of westerns, when you get around to that one.

Along similar lines....

The Ox-Bow Incident by Walter Van Tilburg Clark
The Searchers by Alan Le May

The Law at Randado by Elmore Leonard is pretty loving bleak too.

Ox Bow Incident looks like exactly what I'm after. I was recommended In The Rogue Blood and Angle of Repose as well. Anyone have thoughts on these?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Not sure if it’s what was mentioned but this description makes me think of Last of the Breed, by Louis L’amour:

Does that sound right?

That sounds about right! Thank you!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

That sounds about right! Thank you!

You’re welcome, enjoy! I haven’t read that one in particular but every L’amour I have read has been a good time

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

BurningBeard posted:

Ox Bow Incident looks like exactly what I'm after. I was recommended In The Rogue Blood and Angle of Repose as well. Anyone have thoughts on these?

Oxbow Incident was quite good, I don't like westerns and I enjoyed it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

j5mello posted:

For the jeeves books do I start at the beginning of the series with #1? When I searched goodreads, #6 matched the title search.

They're all completely self-contained and Right Ho is particularly good so you can just go with that.

j5mello
Jul 23, 2008

Stringent posted:

They're all completely self-contained and Right Ho is particularly good so you can just go with that.

Appreciate the response. Now I have to herd cats a bit and have everyone get the book so we can start.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
I'm looking for fiction with any of these qualities

- Clever wordplay
- Based around a historical event
- Includes exploration of real mystical or esoteric principles
- Skillfully evocative descriptions that paint a picture

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Its Coke posted:

Well I mean:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Its Coke posted:

- Clever wordplay

Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Its Coke posted:

- Clever wordplay

check out The Gates of Paradise by Jerzy Andrzejewski

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Andrey Bely's Petersburg hits all of those criteria. I recommend John Elsworth's translation.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

StrixNebulosa posted:

Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

Yeah haha, his list is basically a description of the book.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Its Coke posted:

- Clever wordplay

Tea Obreht's The Tigers Wife

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Andrey Bely's Petersburg hits all of those criteria. I recommend John Elsworth's translation.

Seconding Petersburg, but make sure you know your 19th-century Russian literature, history, and thought before diving in. It reads much better when you're familiar with the works he's drawing on.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Its Coke posted:

- Clever wordplay

Thomas Pynchon

Pretty much all of his novels apply, but you can pick from V., Gravity's Rainbow, Mason & Dixon, or Against the Day!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Karenina posted:

Seconding Petersburg, but make sure you know your 19th-century Russian literature, history, and thought before diving in. It reads much better when you're familiar with the works he's drawing on.
The problem with Petersburg in English is that the Elsworth translation is good but has no annotations, the McDuff translation has annotations but isn't good, and the Maguire/Malmstad translation is good and annotated but based on a horrible later edit that cuts out a third of the text. :sigh:

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Its Coke posted:

- Clever wordplay

The Dictionary of the Khazars

There is no easily discerned plot in the conventional sense, but the central question of the book (the mass religious conversion of the Khazar people) is based on a historical event generally dated to the last decades of the 8th century or the early 9th century when the Khazar royalty and nobility converted to Judaism, and part of the general population followed.[2]

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Franchescanado posted:

Thomas Pynchon

Pretty much all of his novels apply, but you can pick from V., Gravity's Rainbow, Mason & Dixon, or Against the Day!

Was the same thought I had

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

Yeah haha, his list is basically a description of the book.

It instantly sprang to my mind too! Basically perfect fit

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm maxed out on audible credits this month. Anybody listen to any cool books on tape lately? Or just have a cool book? If I don't use the credit I lose it and I'm not really hankering for anything in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Agent355 posted:

I'm maxed out on audible credits this month. Anybody listen to any cool books on tape lately? Or just have a cool book? If I don't use the credit I lose it and I'm not really hankering for anything in particular.

Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir!