Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

General Dog posted:

Why do people pre-buy tickets? I don't think I've ever had trouble buying tickets to a movie opening night.

I live in the 5th largest city in the country and we only have one full-sized IMAX screen. When Endgame went on sale a few weeks prior to the release, the theater I usually go to was showing it on opening night on 23 screens. Within 3 hours, almost every screening was sold out. I had to sit in the second row at said IMAX because I dragged my feet.

For bigtime releases, in these kinds of scenarios, if you wait to get a ticket, you normally won’t get to see it opening night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

No Mods No Masters posted:

The rebels are flying slightly above/below the plane, and the empire are all flying precisely on the plane. This is what it's like to achieve mastery of the visual language of cinema

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

General Dog posted:

Why do people pre-buy tickets? I don't think I've ever had trouble buying tickets to a movie opening night.

I've seen TFA and TLJ with 5-6 other people, and it's cool that we can all get our seats/tickets together ahead of time. With a big group, it's usually harder to get seats together opening night. This year I'm seeing the movie with 10 other people.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

That sure looks like The Ghost to the Falcon's right.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

What on earth is this mess?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Say what you will about the rebels, but respect their ability to replenish their forces from 12 people to 12 trillion people in the span of just 1 year despite the entire galaxy already being conquered by the enemy

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Red eye 3po is piloting all of them it's a metaphor automation's effect on the economy

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Can’t wait for Death Star 3 (4?) to shoot at a ship like in RotJ but instead it goes through 5 because they are so bunched up. Poetry it rhymes and all that

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Say what you will about the rebels, but respect their ability to replenish their forces from 12 people to 12 trillion people in the span of just 1 year despite the entire galaxy already being conquered by the enemy
God drat it JJ

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I guess from what we actually see in TLJ (beyond a vague "the galaxy is reeling" declaration in the opening scroll), we really still have no idea if the First Order controls the entire galaxy or like three counties. We just know that no one in the Galaxy was willing to help the Resistance.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The opening crawl of star wars 8 actually begins with "The first order reigns." I don't think that is vague or ambiguous and there's nothing in the movie to contradict it either, people just don't want to take the movie on its word because it's too stupid of a position to take seriously- even though it actually is the movie's position. Good thing JJ is here to cut the gordian knot by ignoring all these troublesome things entirely

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The opening crawl of star wars 8 actually begins with "The first order reigns." I don't think that is vague or ambiguous and there's nothing in the movie to contradict it either, people just don't want to take the movie on its word because it's too stupid of a position to take seriously- even though it actually is the movie's position. Good thing JJ is here to cut the gordian knot by ignoring all these troublesome things entirely

The wording seems unambiguous, but since TLJ starts within days (at most) of the ending of TFA, it's impossible that they could actually occupy any significant fraction of the galaxy already.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I agree with you, it's implausible in the extreme, insulting to the intelligence of the audience, and all that. But all the same it is what's took place in the movie, JJ pretending it didn't happen notwithstanding

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I agree with you, it's implausible in the extreme, insulting to the intelligence of the audience, and all that. But all the same it is what's took place in the movie, JJ pretending it didn't happen notwithstanding

I guess the most generous interpretation of the opening scroll is that the First Order is unopposed as a military force in the galaxy (i.e., the lone superpower). Which still seems dumb, but I guess is at least consistent with what we were told in TFA about the entire Republic Fleet being in dry dock all in the same place.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TLJ took how long in movie time? Like four days? A 7 day week tops?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jiro posted:

TLJ took how long in movie time? Like four days? A 7 day week tops?

Less.

The fleet only had 18 hours of fuel, and the battle that ended the film took place immediately after it ran out. So, we're talking, at the high end, a day.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

thrawn527 posted:

That sure looks like The Ghost to the Falcon's right.

Looks like they're shoehorning in every CW and Rebels ship in there.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

TLJ probably happens over a little more than 2 days.

The reststance evacuates their base at the start of the movie, then Rey meets Luke and follows him around for the rest of the day. She starts her training the next morning, and they say the Resistance has 18 hours of fuel left right after her first lesson.
She leaves that night, and everything between that and Luke's death takes enough time for there to be a sunset when he dies.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ticket preorders are up. Get hype for a bad movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Secured 11 tickets. Lol.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I don't think the sequel movies are all that great, but I'm still gonna see this next one on opening night.

I'm never lonely in this life, because there's someone like me born every minute.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

General Dog posted:

I guess the most generous interpretation of the opening scroll is that the First Order is unopposed as a military force in the galaxy (i.e., the lone superpower). Which still seems dumb, but I guess is at least consistent with what we were told in TFA about the entire Republic Fleet being in dry dock all in the same place.

Rey says they were two weeks from controlling most systems or something like that

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Cant believe so many nerds have to watch the jets get blown out by the patriots just to see this trailer

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

She dipped her hand in the gelatinous goop that filled the bowl next to her and brought back a handful of something pink and smooth that smelled distinctly of sulfur. She leaned out of her re­cliner, offering some to Poe. “You want?”

“No, I’m fine.”

They were both sitting on long sinuous loungers in one of Wish’s ubiquitous day spas. Poe was still in his uniform, small mercy, but Maz was wrapped in a thick fluffy white towel, a second white towel wrapped tightly around her head. Her bare feet soaked in a mix of muddy chemicals Poe couldn’t identify, and willowy attendants flut­tered in and out of the room, proffering teas and colonics and other concoctions Poe politely refused. Maz was now smearing the sulfur-scented goop she had offered Poe on her broad cheeks and humming merrily.

“What is that stuff?” he asked, sniffing. “It smells terrible.” The sul­fur odor had been replaced with an ammonia one.

“Feline poop. From some species that’s lived here so long that it’s practically native to the planet. Imagine. A planet with no solid ground but plenty of cats. The story is that the founder of Ephemera was a Rothkahar philosopher. He domesticated this species because he thought them of advanced intelligence . . . or maybe they domes­ticated him. I forget. Anyway, later on, he found that their excrement had healing properties. High concentrations of tibanna gas, naturally processed into tuusah.” She laughed again. “Does wonders for the skin.”

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

George H.W. oval office posted:

Cant believe so many nerds have to watch the jets get blown out by the patriots just to see this trailer

MEAN GREEN

sadjetsfan.jpg

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Paulie Saltines approaches. The time is near.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
It's a very strange feeling for me to see a brand new trailer for a Star Wars move and just feel nothing. I don't like it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qn_spdM5Zg

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Didnt even cum

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Looks like it confirms those JediPaxis leaks or whatever. Lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Looks like it confirms those JediPaxis leaks or whatever. Lol.

Yeah a lot of what's in there seemed to align with some of those leaks pretty well. Lol. Welp. We'll see.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Which ones? The terrible reddit ones?

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Bringing the emperor back is so loving lazy I swear to god

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
God awful dogshit. Bring on the memes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

-Oh hey Rose still exists

-"Nobody knows me" -yes, that's literally the whole problem with your character

-No seriously where the hell did the Resistance get that giant fleet

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

teagone posted:

Yeah a lot of what's in there seemed to align with some of those leaks pretty well. Lol. Welp. We'll see.
Isn't the throne one of the things from those leaks

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

teagone posted:

It's all true. All of it.

quote:

At one point during the battle Finn and Jannah (joined by others, but exactly who is not clear to
me right now) land on Pryde’s flagship to destroy it. They recognize this as essentially a suicide
mission but Finn and Jannah in particular see the price they may have to pay as wort it to
prevent more children from being abducted like they once were.

I’m told that this assault has the feel of a “D-Day style landing” using the
creatures Jannah has been seen riding in promo photos against Sith troopers. The
troopers allegedly put up a fight, but the good guys eventually win, knocking out
the tower. While the Resistance is taking heavy losses, Pryde announces that they
will simply transfer the signal to another ship and carry on.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
i guess they're killing 3PO by wiping his memories? whatever.

if that's the falcon that blows up i'm gonna be pissed. if chewie is still around the falcon is his goddamnit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Preston Waters posted:

i guess they're killing 3PO by wiping his memories? whatever.

if that's the falcon that blows up i'm gonna be pissed. if chewie is still around the falcon is his goddamnit.
They're going to drop the remains of the 2nd Death Star on Chewie, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1186460828087701505