Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

harperdc posted:

They're specifically driving people to a certain kind of use-case, and keeping people from chimping. Want to do that with Fuji? The X-T3 and X-H1 are right there. The Pro line has to differentiate somehow. It's smart to me, but then again I enjoy Fuji's whole take your time like it's the film days thing.

It'll probably get panned in reviews, not sell as well as it should, get a discount, and "re-discovered" in three years as a "fantastic focused photography experience."

So the X-Pro1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I pretty much never use the OVF on my X100F, really the only thing that makes me want an X-Pro is the weather sealing. If the [theoretical but highly likely] X-E4 has it I'm sold. I really prefer a rangefinder style body, maybe an upcoming GX? Pretty sure the Pen series is all but dead and I don't like the feel of Sony bodies.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

whatever7 posted:

But where are the manual cock shutter winder and option to disable review though?

They should have gone wild and removed the screen entirely, then added a settings dial and manual shutter winder like the rd1.

If the ovf is the whole point I don't get it, supposedly it lost some features from the last version (multiple magnification modes, indicator where the focus point is at infinity/close focus).

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Fools Infinite posted:

They should have gone wild and removed the screen entirely, then added a settings dial and manual shutter winder like the rd1.

If the ovf is the whole point I don't get it, supposedly it lost some features from the last version (multiple magnification modes, indicator where the focus point is at infinity/close focus).

Agreed, go whole loving hog on the whole "film camera but digital" aspect. I'm sure there's a market that likes the nostalgia / hipster aspect of it, but also people that would be fine giving up some of those traditional digital camera features for a lower price / better battery life.

Who am I kidding, they'd charge just as much as always for it, if not more.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I would buy a GR style camera with the review screen sold as an add-on accessory.

I got to be honest I have lost feeling and touch to current lines of camera bodies. The only camera I brought this year was the Insta360 Go.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Removing OVF zoom (so you have to use the EVF for anything wider than the 23 and narrower than 56) and having the framelines jump to their parallax-corrected position without also showing the infinity position so you can judge the offset seem like bad choices if the goal of crippling the rear screen is to reduce chimping. From what I've read, it seems like I'd be doubting my focus and composition quite a bit.

I thought it was a cool prospect until I read about those changes in the OVF.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just got the X-T3 (I still love my X100F but I wanted weatherproofing and changeable lenses) and am loving it so far. I'm never one to really check news sites, just reviews, so I had no idea that the X Pro3 was coming. It really looks like a peach but after seeing some things I am glad I picked up the X-T3 instead of waiting for the new X Pro. I am curious to see more and more reviews and photos from it though.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I specifically bought an X100F because I am just a super low grade hobbyist and didn’t want to tempt myself by having the option to buy lenses. I spent $600 getting my X100F repaired after a drop this summer.

That XPro-3 is sexy as hell to me and is severely tempting me.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
I was able to hamfist my way with one yesterday for a little while and it's not amazing by any means. The fixed OVF is a strange choice as I use the different zooms on my xpro2 often. The EVF is nice, though I didn't get to see it in enough varying scenes to see any improvement over the X-T3 viewfinder. I wanted to but completely forget to trial the "smoothed" 200fps viewfinder gimmick, which may have some actual practical use, but other than that the foldaway screen is not a dealbreaker for me, but what was was the fact that I couldn't quickly find a way to change my AF mode - it was on single point and I really wanted to see how it would handle zone or tracking. None of the buttons had it mapped and I didn't want to faff with remapping just before handing it off to the next person.

Also, the durasilver looks pretty in pictures, but was muddy and already grubby looking by the time I saw it (I was maybe the third person to handle it).

I am looking forward to seeing the classic negative blue simulation on the x-t3 though, it renders beautifully.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Does Fujifilm usually include the new film simulations for other cameras in their firmware updates? I’m keen to be able to use the new ones that the X Pro3 has on my X100F and X T3 eventually

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Sometimes they do, sometimes they promise them then don't do it too

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The x-pro3 and the x-t3 have the exact same brain, iirc, so there's no reason they can't put it in, at least.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Since were talkin Fuji here I just put a Godox X-Pro for fuji in the for sale section if anyone is looking.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Oooohhhh, wireless tethering for Fuji that may actually be worth a drat: https://www.dpreview.com/news/5031742124/tether-tools-air-direct-new-improved-wireless-connect-camera-computer-mobile-device

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

They could have at least given it a pass-thru if they were gonna use the hot shoe :argh:

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

They could have at least given it a pass-thru if they were gonna use the hot shoe :argh:

poo poo, I didn't notice that till now. I wonder if it actually HAS to be there. But if so that's a design miss.

Edit: doesn't seem like it has to sit there, but still...

ReverendHammer fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 25, 2019

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just DIY glue it to a tripod plate.

Or on top of your flash trigger.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

oh drat

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

whatever7 posted:

Just DIY glue it to a tripod plate.

Or on top of your flash trigger.

Yeah, since I have the Godox X1T it would be fine. I was mildly wondering how annoying it would be if it was on the underside of the camera via the tripod mount. At least for shooting freehand anyway. But I'd be alright with pretty much making the photography version of the Sega Tower of Power.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Does Fujifilm usually include the new film simulations for other cameras in their firmware updates? I’m keen to be able to use the new ones that the X Pro3 has on my X100F and X T3 eventually

It definitely won't touch the 100f because it has the old sensor and processor. The T3 though, should get it. and all the other fanciness - I'm particularly excited for the -6ev autofocus.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
With all the XPro3 hullabaloo, I missed that the weird tiny sigma full frame camera went on sale.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Aren't they coming out with a foveon camera next year? If it has the same form factor and they release some more 2.8 primes that'd be pretty sweet.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think the new E-M5 mark III is super interesting, I love the way Fujis handle (especially the joystick) but the image stabilization is super appealing, as are the cheap MFT lenses. This is mostly academic since I’m not buying another camera for at least 6 months but it looks pretty capable.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I'm more and more interested in multi-shot high-res modes, so the arrival of the EM5III was a good reminder that the EM1II has a pretty sweet implementation of that feature. (But also the Pentax K-1)

I guess the nonstandard filter array makes it unlikely to ever appear on the X-H1, or was did it end up becoming a feature on that camera?

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

if you had to pick between the Fujifilm X-T3 and the X-H1 which would you choose?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Ragtime All The Time posted:

if you had to pick between the Fujifilm X-T3 and the X-H1 which would you choose?

Depends on the lens and what you are gonna do with it. I’m just finishing a vacation in Japan with the X-H1 + 16-55 f2.8 and I wish I were carrying an X-T3 with the 18-55 kit lens.

In fact I could have done the whole trip with my X100T and been just as happy with the results.

That being said, if it’s not for travel, the X-H1 + 16-55 is an insane combo. The lens is godly in every aspect, add IS to it and it feels like cheating.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ragtime All The Time posted:

I just made this decision and went with the X-H1. I felt the XT-3 handling and ergonomics were pretty bad. I thought it would be comparable to my GX85, but the added size and weight, especially with the larger lenses, made it pretty uncomfortable. Yeah there's dozens of 3rd party bolt-on grips you can try out, but unless you need the video specs, why bother when the X-H1 gives you a good grip out of the box. I just gave mine a good run shooting around London last week and I have to say, it feels really good in the hand. I've got the 16-55 f2.8. Also the two extra OEM batteries you get included with the free battery grip (if you get it in a kit) is a pretty nice bonus.

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

Animal posted:

Depends on the lens and what you are gonna do with it. I’m just finishing a vacation in Japan with the X-H1 + 16-55 f2.8 and I wish I were carrying an X-T3 with the 18-55 kit lens.

In fact I could have done the whole trip with my X100T and been just as happy with the results.

That being said, if it’s not for travel, the X-H1 + 16-55 is an insane combo. The lens is godly in every aspect, add IS to it and it feels like cheating.

i'm coming from a canon 7d so i'm kinda used to bulky - the H1 is about a third the weight and the T3 almost half. i'll probably roll with the 16-55 for the first lens and later tack on the 55-200 and a couple primes

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
If you’re going to run the 16-55 go with the X-H1. The IBIS will be a great addition and the body is actually good in hand. I liked my X-T cameras but the handling was terrible with anything larger than the 18-55 ... IMO of course.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Amazing that Sigma was just a low budget third party lens manufacturer not too long ago. Now they crank out some seriously amazing glass and while the DP series has its flaws it's been unbeatable IQ for the size. The FP looks like a hell of an interesting beast too.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I always wanted a Sigma Foveon camera and got a surprisingly cheap used DP2 and then realized it was so cheap because it was a terrible camera. Maybe they've improved on the ISO and focus speed, battery life, interface, and software since then but it was a miserable camera to use.

I do like Sigma glass. My 35mm 1.4 lens was my favorite when I used Nikon.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

I always wanted a Sigma Foveon camera and got a surprisingly cheap used DP2 and then realized it was so cheap because it was a terrible camera. Maybe they've improved on the ISO and focus speed, battery life, interface, and software since then but it was a miserable camera to use.

You basically have to treat it like a tiny large format camera. Tripod, slow/manual focus, low ISO. The LCD is godawful and the AF is miserable but the files out of a DP2M are something to behold.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Clayton Bigsby posted:

You basically have to treat it like a tiny large format camera. Tripod, slow/manual focus, low ISO. The LCD is godawful and the AF is miserable but the files out of a DP2M are something to behold.

I'm okay with limitations. I shoot with an old Yashica TLR too so I kind of like having to work around a camera's constraints. I just could never 'get' the Sigma. It didn't help that I bought a x100 at the same time, which could give me probably 90% of the photo quality 200% of the time with less frustration.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

I always wanted a Sigma Foveon... terrible camera.

I love the poo poo out of my quattro sd, but I can 100% appreciate this opinion.

The DNGs are 110MB each, so it's tens of seconds before I can even review my last shot. Having come from Sony's APS-C cameras it was a real eye-opener going from being able to push shadows 4+ stops in ISO 400 raws to having almost zero headroom. Oh, and the battery life is about 30 minutes unless you switch on "ECO Mode" in the menus.

On the other hand, for my use-case (polarized light microphotography) the extra work of averaging 5-10 exposures per shot is very much worth it, since the fine detail reproduction in area of saturated colour is amazing.

If they release a version of the fp with an aps-c foveon sensor and electronic shutter I'd buy it in a loving heartbeat because as a microscope camera it would be perfect.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Sigma are bringing their apsc primes to l mount, hopefully it means they'll do an apsc foveon camera in l mount (I know there are leica apsc cameras).

But would it be the older generation foveon sensor, or a new one? The newest generation is going back to equal resolution r/g/b layers like the earlier generation ones and unlike the quattro. Maybe that is spreading development too thin?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

spongepuppy posted:

The DNGs are 110MB each, so it's tens of seconds before I can even review my last shot.

DNGs? Shoot X3F so you can use Sigma's wonderful SPP! :v:

(I almost bid on a Quattro last night after sitting and getting all nostalgic over my DP2m pictures, then I remembered the horrors of SPP. Can you get a reasonable result using DNG and Camera RAW these days? Used to be vastly inferior to the SPP route.)

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 28, 2019

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

SPP is supposedly less awful than it used to be, which is justifiably faint praise because it is still terribly slow. As long as you set sharpening in ACR to zero the DNGs are fine.

E: I have only briefly used SPP (first when I got the camera and then a few more times as updates were released), and haven't made any real effort to compare image quality between X3F and DNG output.

The DNGs have a lower bit depth than the X3Fs (12 vs 14 bit), but given the inherently limited latitude for processing that the sensor has it's not like I've been able to detect any posterization by pushing the exposures +/- 1 stop. There are other drawbacks vs X3F as well, but tbh not having to use SPP makes them easy to live with.

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 29, 2019

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
The GFX sensor is obnoxious. The sheer amount of information it retains at high ISO almost makes up for the clunky slowness of it.

A mismetered, completely blown out 6400 ISO started like :

But hardly any work brought it back to

This is retained at ISO6400!!!

It's bonkers, and I am so glad that I hate the overall responsiveness of the camera enough not to make me flog everything to buy one.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Holy poo poo. The specular highlights retained in the pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

WhY dOeSnT fUjI mAkE a FuLl FrAmE cAmErA